TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2004, 10:04 AM   #121
Athenian

Re: newbie question

Quote:
Originally posted by jeep1999
Also, is there anyone offering the $50 deal for DVR for existing customers? I mean I have been with DTV for a long time and would think they would be willing to give their existing customers a deal..
If you've been a customer for a while, ask the CSR what the penalty would be to cancel -- you'll probably get your TiVo for $15 or free. They cannot specify any model or capacity but the installation is free and includes moving the existing receiver somewhere else.

If you have two receivers, have the installer move the old one to the room with the other one and if you decide the unit you get is too small, you can move it to the secondary location and get an R10 from somewhere else.
Quote:
I see the Tivo series 2 does allow a network port via USB so you can program from a web interface.
The USB ports are not enabled on DirecTiVos ...yet.
Athenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:54 PM   #122
DBCooper

Re: The Inside

Quote:
Originally posted by ebonovic

I don't recall the HDR2 looking anything like that. Where would the second drive go?

(Click for Larger Version

DBCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 04:10 PM   #123
DrEvil
Evil Member

You would have to get a mounting bracket from www.weaknees.com or www.9thtee.com to add a second drive to any of the series 2 based DirecTiVo's.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:10 PM   #124
DBCooper

Quote:
Originally posted by DrEvil
You would have to get a mounting bracket from www.weaknees.com or www.9thtee.com to add a second drive to any of the series 2 based DirecTiVo's.
That's a given. But where does it go, under the existing hard-drive cable?
DBCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 08:18 PM   #125
mishagray
Gadget Afflicted

Quote:
Originally posted by DBCooper
That's a given. But where does it go, under the existing hard-drive cable?
It usually hangs "suspended" over the motherboard (rotated 90 degrees from the other drive).
mishagray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:14 PM   #126
dnbassassin

little off the subject
Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
Um, not the HD Tivo (HR10-250), of course.

Which always made me wonder on their new numbering scheme... we have an HR10, and an R10.... makes sense now!

here the new name conventions for for all ird in furture.
d=standard receiver
h= hd receiver
r=dvr
hr=hd with dvr also nrb after indicate hd size
and number indicates generation
for Example d10
stardard ird first generation

"200" and "300" mean the user interface is different from the D10
200 like have samsung sir 300w and 300 like have philips dsx5500
just clear that up

Last edited by dnbassassin : 12-30-2004 at 10:39 PM.
dnbassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 08:04 AM   #127
Books

I keep seeing reports that many are unhappy with the picture from the r10. Is anyone happy with it? We've got to pick up a new DVR today, and I'm trying to decide between the r10 and the Hughes.
Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 09:02 AM   #128
ebonovic
has gone his way...

I have two of them, and have no issues with their PQ at all.
One is in my master bedroom, so we use it daily, and I have zero complaints about it.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:42 AM   #129
leesweet
TC Special Member

Is the picture variation between boxes real or in the eye of the beholder, do we think?
Old 12-31-2004, 04:50 PM   #130
Books

We bit the bullet and got the R10. I've got to say that I'm not happy with it. I've got perfect eyesight and I had trouble with reading the menus. I couldn't distinguish between the letter G and the number 6 when I was asked the units access card number. We didn't have it hooked up with s-video at first, but even with that the menus don't look good. The picture quality did improve with the s-video, but I don't know if I can live with it as is. We'll try it for a day to see if we can get used to it, if not, we'll bring it back and exchange it for the Hughes.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:54 PM   #131
Oneota

Just got the standard installation of DirecTV with DVR yesterday, and it included an R10 (without my asking for anything special), so it looks like they're starting to make their way to the unwashed masses!

So far, no complaints, though scrolling through the programs is slower than I expected (I'm used to the speed on my parents' standard Hughes receiver, though, so I'm sure I'll get used to the R10).

Just an FYI.
Oneota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 01:02 AM   #132
Theatermax

Blurry Blurry Blurry R10

Yes , I have tested R10's against the DVR80 RCA. I have done this on Pioneer Elite Plasma's, Sony XBR, Pioneer Pro730 HDTV.. It's all the same..

The Menus are blurry , I don't know what the heck they did but it really stinks. The real unfortunate part is that they will probably be the only Tivo Maker as of this coming year. That means we are going to have to live with this low quality menu stuff..

What do we do ??
Theatermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 01:24 AM   #133
Apok

Does low quality menu's really matter? I for one could care less if the menu looks crappy as long as it doesn't effect the show's PQ.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
is your friend. Learn to use it wisely.

Apok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 01:32 AM   #134
Theatermax

It does mean alot. From 10 feet away you can't read it without squinting!

That's a bad thing !
Theatermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 02:30 AM   #135
Jerw134

Re: Blurry Blurry Blurry R10

Quote:
Originally posted by Theatermax
The real unfortunate part is that they will probably be the only Tivo Maker as of this coming year.
There has only been one "Tivo Maker". The difference is, it appears they decided to go with lower quality parts in this new version of the Tivo.
Jerw134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 08:33 AM   #136
Books

Quote:
Originally posted by usrbingeek
Does low quality menu's really matter? I for one could care less if the menu looks crappy as long as it doesn't effect the show's PQ.
Unfortunately, in our case, it just isn't the menu. The picture quality is suffering as well. I've also noticed that the guides, while they come up quickly, aren't filled in. There is a lag of a few seconds with lots of blank space when the guide button is first pressed. This morning the unit is even buggier. It is barely responding to the remote, where as last night it was quite responsive.

We are going to exchange it this morning for the Hughes and I plan on not keeping it hooked up to a phone line until I see that how other series 2 units respond the upcoming upgrade. Hopefully this isn't just the new software.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:52 AM   #137
jeep1999

decisions

So after reading these follow ups, do I go with an R10 or a Huges? I would really like to be able to program it eventually from my PC. I understand they have to be hacked but it seems the R10 is not ready for this yet.

I am leaning towards the R10 only because I can get one from DTV for 50 bucks I have heard.

Thanks
Jeep1999
jeep1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 12:10 PM   #138
Jerw134

I still say get an R10. But, the $49 deal was finished yesterday. Now, it's $99 with a $50 rebate.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:28 PM   #139
Oneota

Picture quality on the video and menus seems just fine to me with my R10. But then, I've only had DirecTV (or a TiVo, for that matter) since Thursday, so it's not like I have a good basis for comparison.

But it all seems hunky-dory to me, other than the R10 occasionally insisting on recording shows:
a) I have no interest in
b) that are on channels I don't have a subscription to.

"a" I can understand, since it's still learning what I do and don't like. But as for "b": it should be able to figure out whether or not I'm subscribed to a channel before it goes and records an hour of black screen, shouldn't it?
Old 01-01-2005, 12:30 PM   #140
Jerw134

The Tivo cannot figure out if you're subscribed to a channel or not. Why it can't do that, I don't have a clue. You have to edit the Channels You Receive list to let it know what channels you subscribe to.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:47 PM   #141
Oneota

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerw134
The Tivo cannot figure out if you're subscribed to a channel or not. Why it can't do that, I don't have a clue. You have to edit the Channels You Receive list to let it know what channels you subscribe to.
Yeah, that seems exceedingly stupid. Couldn't take more than 4-5 lines of code (well, perhaps more, but still a trivial amount) to communicate that information from the DirecTV side of things to the TiVo side of things (assuming there's some distinct point where the DirecTV ends and the TiVo begins).

Last edited by Oneota : 01-01-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:34 PM   #142
ncsercs
DirecTivo fan.......

Question

Earl,

I have 2 R10's.

My computer is running XP with a D-Link DI-614+ Router and SBC Yahoo DSL.

I created a simple network with the Home Network Wizard.

I got 2 D-Link DWL-122 USB adapters for each R10 and plugged them in the back.

My network does not recognize them.

How would I get to the point where you are at? I know I'm missing something.

Much appreciated.

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996

1 TiVo Series3 / 1 DTV H24 / 2 DTV HR24
ncsercs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 05:41 PM   #143
ebonovic
has gone his way...

On your router, you should have a place where you can see the DHCP requests. You will see two MAC addresses requesting addresses... Those should correspond to your two nics in your R10.

You can also install the TivoCommunicator software from Tivo.Com.
You will see your two R10 listed in the exlusion list for units.

But with all that said....

Currently the R10s just talk to the network. But they don't do anything. (Kinda like talking to your kids... You talk, but they don't do anything).

There is currently no functionality there yet...

You can drop me a PM if you need more details.

Hopefully in the next few months they will give us
Old 01-01-2005, 10:15 PM   #144
dbronstein

Quote:
Originally posted by Oneota
Yeah, that seems exceedingly stupid. Couldn't take more than 4-5 lines of code (well, perhaps more, but still a trivial amount) to communicate that information from the DirecTV side of things to the TiVo side of things (assuming there's some distinct point where the DirecTV ends and the TiVo begins).
No kidding - even the Dish Network PVRs know what channels you're subscribed to.
dbronstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 10:16 PM   #145
Jerw134

The only reason I can come up with is marketing. DirecTV may think that if users are exposed to these channels by the Tivo recording something that "interests" them, they may be more likely to check it out.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:02 PM   #146
Oneota

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerw134
The only reason I can come up with is marketing. DirecTV may think that if users are exposed to these channels by the Tivo recording something that "interests" them, they may be more likely to check it out.
...But how are we supposed to check out something we're not subscribed to?

"Oo...that 90 minutes of black screen looks intriguing!"

Old 01-02-2005, 12:08 AM   #147
Jerw134

You wouldn't be able to check out what it recorded, but you'd see the title of the show, and it could draw your attention to a channel you might not have thought about before.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:59 AM   #148
digital_b

Re: decisions

Quote:
Originally posted by jeep1999
So after reading these follow ups, do I go with an R10 or a Huges? I would really like to be able to program it eventually from my PC. I understand they have to be hacked but it seems the R10 is not ready for this yet.

I am leaning towards the R10 only because I can get one from DTV for 50 bucks I have heard.

Thanks
Jeep1999
I really dont [literally] see the difference between the hughes and the r10 externally. I was at circuit city Friday and there is a d* display there with both boxes and the ONLY difference [on the front anyway] was the logo. the buttons and 'styling' the colors EVERYTHING is exactly the same. so is hughes making all the boxes now or was the display I looked at out of date? there were boxes of hughes and rca dtivos as well as d* branded ones.
webtivo enabled
home media option enabled

philips dsr704
105 hours networked via usb2 ports
transfer enabled
webtivo enabled

sony t60
stock for now
digital_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 09:30 AM   #149
Jerw134

The Hughes SD-DVR40 looks nothing like the R10. You may have gotten it confused with the RCA, because the R10 is using almost exactly the same exterior design as the RCA.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:12 AM   #150
Oneota

Who makes the R10, anyway?