TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-23-2004, 03:38 PM   #91
twash

Oops, okay, well that answers that don't it...
twash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 07:26 PM   #92
forteDiva

72 sat

Quote:
Originally posted by ebonovic
During the setup of the unit, it gives you the opportunity to check the strength of each of teh Sats... During the setup, there was NO opportunity to check specifically for the 72.5 sat.

That being said, I am not familiar enough with the 72.5 sat, other then it is new and provides locals for some newer markets. I don't have one, and maybe the unit is smart enough to detect that and not even give me the option to test for it.
ok. 72.5 satellite. You have to do an auto-detect for the Tivo to detect for all Sats out there. Once it does, you should have access

Last edited by forteDiva : 12-23-2004 at 08:24 PM.
forteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 07:27 PM   #93
ebonovic
has gone his way...

Well the R10 has 6.1 software... And I don't have a 72.5 dish up, so... I can't verify if the 6.1 will work with the 72.5
Old 12-23-2004, 08:27 PM   #94
forteDiva

Yep, I messed up on the version on that one, I have since edited my comment. Thanks for telling me the software version number-I need that for where I work-we weren't aware that the software version was different that for the rest of our tivos. I'll be forwarding that one so that our info will be updated. Thanks
forteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 03:30 PM   #95
mhallerbach

30 second skip feature on R10 by default?

I just got an R10, am new to DVrs, but in one of the previous review posts on this thread it was mentioned that this unit has the 30 second skip feature by default. If so, please tell me how to do it, as the manual does not mention it, and I have not been able to find it playing around on it. Is this only available as a backdoor code, or a special code. Please let me know if you can, as I can't believe this feature wouldn't be included by default, since it would be extremely helpful because of those pesky commercials.
mhallerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 04:48 PM   #96
Jerw134

Re: 30 second skip feature on R10 by default?

Quote:
Originally posted by mhallerbach
I can't believe this feature wouldn't be included by default, since it would be extremely helpful because of those pesky commercials.
Those pesky commercials are the exact reason why the 30 second skip is no longer turned on by default.
Jerw134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 10:21 PM   #97
memnoch
Billy Gardner

Thanks to everyone here. I've been a lurker for a while with a SA TiVo Sony SVR-3000. Moved from cable to D* a little over a year ago. The Sony made the transition with me. I had two tuners installed in the LR. One dedicated to the Tivo. After reading everything here recently, I decided to go out and get an R-10. I didn't need installation and couldn't wait any longer so just went out and picked one up. I turned off both LR tuners and connected both lines to the R-10. By taking off both, I saved the extra $5 on a second tuner, then by adding the DVR, I tacked on $5 - braking even. Then by stopping the SA TiVo's monthly subscription, I will basically have the R-10 paid off in less then a year and have less bills. Can't lose!!! BTW, I'm very happy with the R-10. Sorry for the run-on. Thanks again!
memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 07:37 AM   #98
jasch

Re: 30 second skip feature on R10 by default?

Quote:
Originally posted by mhallerbach
I just got an R10, am new to DVrs, but in one of the previous review posts on this thread it was mentioned that this unit has the 30 second skip feature by default. If so, please tell me how to do it, as the manual does not mention it, and I have not been able to find it playing around on it. Is this only available as a backdoor code, or a special code. Please let me know if you can, as I can't believe this feature wouldn't be included by default, since it would be extremely helpful because of those pesky commercials.
This is not exactly true. All TIVo units have the 30 second skip turned off by default. You have to active it allways through backdoor codes.
jasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 12:04 PM   #99
Kepler

Quote:
Originally posted by BubbaTX
Smak,
Either way, an 80GB unit for $49 is a steal IMO.
Is anyone selling the R-10 for $49 for existing DirecTiVo customers?
Kepler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 01:46 PM   #100
DrEvil
Evil Member

The 30 second skip is turned on while you playback something previously recorded by pressing play-select-3-0-select. You should hear three beeps if you did it right.

It is off by default, and if your TiVo reboots you will have to enter it again.

Edit: I got it wrong, it's select-play-select-3-0-select.

Last edited by DrEvil : 12-26-2004 at 11:47 PM.
DrEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 07:51 PM   #101
Jerw134

Quote:
Originally posted by Kepler
Is anyone selling the R-10 for $49 for existing DirecTiVo customers?
Not guaranteed, but if you're willing to take a chance, you may get one from DirecTV.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:25 AM   #102
Montaño
ViVa La TiVolucíon

Quote:
Originally posted by DrEvil
The 30 second skip is turned on while you playback something previously recorded by pressing play-select-3-0-select. You should hear three beeps if you did it right.

It is off by default, and if your TiVo reboots you will have to enter it again.
I believe it SELECT/Play/Select/3/0/Select
Old 12-26-2004, 11:27 AM   #103
tomo_kun
DJT0M0.

Just some more hints of more TiVo intergration.

Look at the DirecTV DVR site, it used to *barely* mention TiVo at all, now look.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tomo_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 11:49 AM   #104
Jerw134

Quote:
Originally posted by tomo_kun
Look at the DirecTV DVR site, it used to *barely* mention TiVo at all, now look.
Attached is a screenshot of the old site, and here's a link to the current site: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/TIVO.dsp

The new site and the old site actually mention Tivo in the text only once (both also mention it in their headers), and the new site actually has one less Tivo logo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldsite.jpg (97.2 KB, 415 views)
Old 12-26-2004, 11:53 AM   #105
tomo_kun
DJT0M0.

look at the all around site, The whole site mentions TiVo a lot more.

tomo_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 11:55 AM   #106
Jerw134

It looks to me like they just beefed up the content on the site, not that they went out of their way to promote the Tivo brand.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:45 PM   #107
DrEvil
Evil Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Montaño
Thanks Montaño, I should have double checked before posting that.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:15 AM   #108
tebbens

Is the DVR80 being discontinued, replaced by the R10 ?
tebbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 12:32 AM   #109
Jerw134

All DirecTV DVRs have been discontinued, in favor of the R10.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:53 PM   #110
leesweet
TC Special Member

Um, not the HD Tivo (HR10-250), of course.

Which always made me wonder on their new numbering scheme... we have an HR10, and an R10.... makes sense now!
Old 12-27-2004, 08:13 PM   #111
mhallerbach

30 second skip - and the winner is . . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Montaño
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The code to get it working on the R10 was "Play/Select/3/0/Select". I tried the other way with no luck, and ended up getting it to work with this.

thanks for all of your help everybody.
mhallerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:31 AM   #112
toxic

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerw134
Not guaranteed, but if you're willing to take a chance, you may get one from DirecTV.
I just got an R10 from D* this morning...installer said that is all he has...said all the others have "disappeared."

I just converted from UTV...got HR10-250 yesterday and the R10 today. So far so good. As you are well aware, ex-UTV users miss many features but I am trying to learn TIVO and not dwell on the negatives.

I got the 30 skip working...are there any other really good codes that people use alot? I read thru the list but didn't see anything like the 30 second skip that was essential.

Also, right after setup it seemed to act a little quirky - not responding to the remote for a minute or so, then acting on everything that was hit. Hoping it was just running slow because it was setting up. Anyone else have this experience? All I have to compare it to is the HDTIVO and it didn't do that.
toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 05:07 PM   #113
Jerw134

Quote:
Originally posted by toxic
I just got an R10 from D* this morning...installer said that is all he has
If an installer brought it, it wasn't from DirecTV. Installers have their own stock. I was talking about getting one directly from DirecTV.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:14 PM   #114
ebonovic
has gone his way...

IIRC
DirecTV only ships units directly as a replacement for a defective unit.
All others come via an Installer if you are purchasing from DirecTV.

At least that how it was early last year, (when I purchased one of the $50 units from DTV, and when I have replaced my HD unit a few times)
Old 12-28-2004, 11:01 PM   #115
jeep1999

newbie question

Hi,

Looking at a R10 for my existing Directv account. I have a Dual LNB Dish with 3 tv's and their own RCA recievers. I want to get a R10 unit. I am assuming I can switch out one receiver for the DirectDRV R10 unit? Is this correct? Or do I have to run a separate additional ine from my Dish? I have a 4 way splitter so I could have 4 separate TV's.

Also, would love to program it via a my PC through IE. I have read the USB ports are active and you can get it to work with DHCP.

Also, is there anyone offering the $50 deal for DVR for existing customers? I mean I have been with DTV for a long time and would think they would be willing to give their existing customers a deal..

Thanks for any answers in advance.

Jeep1999
jeep1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:05 PM   #116
Jerw134

If you want to utilize both tuners on the Tivo, you'll need to run an additional line for it. This is highly recommended.

In order to program the Tivo through a web browser, you'll need to hack it. Check the Underground for more info on that.

DirecTV is the one offering the $49 DVR deal for existing customers.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:05 PM   #117
ebonovic
has gone his way...

1) To enable dual tuner recording... You will need and extra line. Do a serach on multiswitch to identify which ones is right for you and the dish you have. You need to get a 5th line into the system. A regular cable splitter doesn't work.

2) Current software version (6.1), are activating the USB ports and talking to the network. However, you can really DO anything with it yet. As of right now there are no rumors that Web Programming is comming in sorts of future update.

3) The only way is to call DirecTV and talk to them, no vendor right now can sell a unit at $49 to an existing customer.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:10 PM   #118
jeep1999

Thanks!

Thanks to both of you. I went on DirectTV's website, they say $99.00 for existing customers. But I will call them if that is what I need to do.

I was also hoping to be able to take home movies (VHS), record them to the DVR then transfer them to my PC to burn to DVR. Is this at all possible with the R10? Or will it be in the future? I don't wish to purchase a DVD recorder when I have one for my computer.

Thanks again
Jeep1999

PS - I do have a 4 port multi switch, not a splitter. Sorry. 1 port is not in use, can I use that one for the 2nd line to the DVR?
Old 12-28-2004, 11:13 PM   #119
ebonovic
has gone his way...

The R10 (and all DirecTivos for that matter), can only record what DirecTV sends them in Digital format. They don't have any inputs for any other signal (the HD unit has an antenna though, for digital OTA).

Also you can not transfer programs from your DVR to your PC (without hacking).

So your best bet would to pickup a digital bridge device (Dazzle, Pinnacle, DV Camcorder) they range from $60 to several hundred depending on which way you go.

You would then hook your VCR to your PC basically and do what you are looking to do.

(The SA Tivo's don't have any offical DVR to PC video transfer either).

Yes you can use that free port on your multiswitch for your line.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:24 PM   #120
jeep1999

cool

Thank you ebonovic. I see the Tivo series 2 does allow a network port via USB so you can program from a web interface. I went to their website. The recording from DVR to PC DVD was another question. I dont know why this just can be an option.

Thanks again for all the info!

Jeep1999