TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2004, 07:36 PM   #61
Jerw134

Quote:
Originally posted by spec2
Otherwise they'll just have to live without the direct channel buttons. Did it once and that was plenty.
What a great son!
Jerw134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 01:27 AM   #62
ebonovic
has gone his way...

Well I am using the remote from my Philips DSR704... Most of the IR codes between the Tivo Remotes are the same.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:40 PM   #63
robgettier
this here KarlMalone

Has anyone noticed a difference in resolution/quality of the Now Playing List screen (and other screens too).

I have a R10 and a Hughes DVR80 hooked up on the same system. Once I started using the R10, I had a sense that something was different.

Sure enough, when I switch the video source back and forth, I can notice a difference between the two. The R10 seems a bit more fuzzy and the shade of green on the NPL is lighter.

Both these units are connected via S-Video to the same TV.

Not a huge issue, but could the video output on the R-10 possibly be not as good?

Rob
robgettier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 02:45 PM   #64
Budget_HT
Heavy User (of TiVo)

Quote:
Originally posted by robgettier
Has anyone noticed a difference in resolution/quality of the Now Playing List screen (and other screens too).

I have a R10 and a Hughes DVR80 hooked up on the same system. Once I started using the R10, I had a sense that something was different.

Sure enough, when I switch the video source back and forth, I can notice a difference between the two. The R10 seems a bit more fuzzy and the shade of green on the NPL is lighter.

Both these units are connected via S-Video to the same TV.

Not a huge issue, but could the video output on the R-10 possibly be not as good?

Rob
Does your TV have separate settings for each input? Some do, and that might cause the difference you are describing. Have you tried swapping the TiVo's between the two TV inputs?

Last edited by Budget_HT : 12-19-2004 at 01:31 AM.
Budget_HT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 03:01 PM   #65
robgettier
this here KarlMalone

Quote:
Originally posted by Budget_HT
Does your TV have separate settings for each input? Some do, and that might cause the difference you are describing. Have you tried swapping th e TiVo's between the two TV inputs?
I am using the same input on the TV. Each unit is connected to my receiver using S-Video and then there is one S-Video cable going to TV.

The problem is mostly with the lettering. The lettering on the menus of the R10 is fuzzier than the Hughes.

My wife confirmed my suspicion. She told me which one was fuzzier without knowing which was which.

On further review, it may not be entirely that the lettering is fuzzier, but rather that on lines 4 and 5 of the NPL, there green in the background seems to be alot brighter at the beginning of the program title. This seems to be what is making it appear fuzzy (overall, it seems a bit more fuzzy, but this is contributing to it I think)

This is a minor annoying issue. It looks a little crappy. But I also wonder if I am getting sub-par video when a program is on the screen.

I was going to return the Hughes. This may change my mind.

Last edited by robgettier : 12-18-2004 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:24 PM   #66
ebonovic
has gone his way...

Flip the wires... Make sure it is not the S-Video cable degrading the signal..

I haven't seen a different in resoultion at all.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:26 AM   #67
success2be

Earl,

Does the 6.1 still have the save-to-vcr feature? I'm thinking about getting a DVD recorder to complement the DirecTiVo once DirecTV release the software upgrade.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
success2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:27 AM   #68
Blurayfan

Quote:
Originally posted by success2be
Does the 6.1 still have the save-to-vcr feature? I'm thinking about getting a DVD recorder to complement the DirecTiVo once DirecTV release the software upgrade.
Yes it Does.
Blurayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:46 AM   #69
robgettier
this here KarlMalone

Quote:
Originally posted by ebonovic
Flip the wires... Make sure it is not the S-Video cable degrading the signal..

I haven't seen a different in resoultion at all.

I have done that. The issue stays with the receiver. Perhaps I got a bad unit.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:55 AM   #70
robgettier
this here KarlMalone

What is most noticeable is the NPL on the R10 has a much greener tone than the Hughes. The Hughes seems to have a blue base and the R10 seems to have a green base. (This could be in the 6.1 software.) Has anyone noticed this? This may be what is causing the noticeable difference.

Unless others have the same experience, my only option to satisy my concerns is probably to buy another R10 and compare two R10's. This is a pain.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:37 AM   #71
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

rogbettier - I don't think you mentioned this, nor has anyone else suggested it: The problem may be the 2nd S-Video port on your AV receiver, the one you just connected your R10 to. I suggest swapping cables and ports on your AV receiver: Connect the R10 to the AV receiver using the cable and port your Hughes was on, and connect the Hughes to the AV receiver using the cable fro the R10 and the second port. If the problem goes away on the R10 and is introduced on the Hughes, then it's the AV receiver's 2nd S-video port.

You could also try bypassing the AV receiver and directly connecting the R10 to the TV's s-video port, just to compare results. I don't know much about S-Video output signal strength, if there is such a thing, but I think the R10 was designed to be cheaper to build. Maybe there's an inferior S-Video connector and by putting the AV receiver between the R10 and the TV, some signal strength is lost? (Just reaching on this last one folks ... don't flame me if my head's up my arse on this!)
drew2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:15 PM   #72
robgettier
this here KarlMalone

Quote:
Originally posted by drew2k
rogbettier - I don't think you mentioned this, nor has anyone else suggested it: The problem may be the 2nd S-Video port on your AV receiver, the one you just connected your R10 to. I suggest swapping cables and ports on your AV receiver: Connect the R10 to the AV receiver using the cable and port your Hughes was on, and connect the Hughes to the AV receiver using the cable fro the R10 and the second port. If the problem goes away on the R10 and is introduced on the Hughes, then it's the AV receiver's 2nd S-video port.

You could also try bypassing the AV receiver and directly connecting the R10 to the TV's s-video port, just to compare results. I don't know much about S-Video output signal strength, if there is such a thing, but I think the R10 was designed to be cheaper to build. Maybe there's an inferior S-Video connector and by putting the AV receiver between the R10 and the TV, some signal strength is lost? (Just reaching on this last one folks ... don't flame me if my head's up my arse on this!)
Thanks. I tried this. No dice.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:41 PM   #73
Ensoniq

As a new owner of (2) R10 units, sorry to hijack this thread for a quick question about the One For All URC6131 remote:

Can the URC6131 control (2) different DVR units that are in the same room? I have one of the TiVo Dual-DVR peanut remotes (with the 1-2 switch on it) that I've been using but it's falling apart. I thought about replacing it with the same unit in the cool translucent blue color, but thought maybe the One For All would be a better overall replacement with better control for my Broksonic TV/VCR/DVD combo.

Thanks in advance for the info...and now back to your regularly scheduled program.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:29 PM   #74
ssalinas

Smile

I currently have a Hughes 40 DTV box. I went to CC last night to purchase the 80 hour integrated box. What is the difference/preference between the Hughes (HNS SDDVR80) DTV and the "Directv" (DTV R10) brand Tivo boxes?

I only have one coax coming in from the dish to the TV. Is it possible to use 2 boxes on the same TV? How do I set that up? Can I record on one and watch tv from the other? Or would I just be better off placing the old tivo box in another room?

TIA!
ssalinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:33 PM   #75
Jerw134

The difference between the two boxes is that the R10 has the 6.1 software on it now, and the DVR80 has 3.1 on it now, but will be upgraded later. The R10 also has some slightly improved hardware, but nothing major.

It's possible to use two boxes on the same TV, as long as you have at least two cables coming from the dish. You'd be much better off just running another cable and using one Tivo. Believe me, it's worth it.
Jerw134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 01:09 PM   #76
ssalinas

So the DVR80 will upgrade software automatically and it is safe to keep the 3.1? I've already purchase the Hughes and I don't want to even open the box unless I am sure it is basically the same quality as the R10? Is the GUI the same? I've been very happy over the past year with the Hughes 40 hr....
What would you do?
Old 12-20-2004, 02:09 PM   #77
ebonovic
has gone his way...

The 6.1 software (which is on the R10), is just slightly different then the 3.1. Mostly with the addition of the Folders option/

The R10 right now has improved performance, slightly because of hardware, but we don't know yet if the software is helping.

So.... If you have the choice... I would replace it for the R10, but it is not the end of the world, if you stay with the DVR-80
Old 12-20-2004, 02:12 PM   #78
ssalinas

Many thanks!
Old 12-20-2004, 03:09 PM   #79
CsrLiz344

I finally got my $49 deal from DTV, and they brought me an R10-I was shocked to say the least. The first thing I and the tech noticed was how quick it was to set up, he said he's installed many that get hung up for up to an hour. I noticed everything is way quicker, which I like, my Phillips can take awhile to do specific things. So far I like it, it was a nice surprise.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:00 AM   #80
Shape

I have 2 Series 1 Phillips boxes. Both of them blew out their modems in an electrical storm a year and a half ago. To say that they are SLOW is an understatement!! It can take a minute to get into now playing.

What are the chances that I can get customer retention to replace them with 2 of these babies?
2 x DirecTivo Series 1
120 hours of car shows.
Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:06 PM   #81
ebonovic
has gone his way...

Unless you have the protection plan... not very high.
But it can't hurt to call and ask.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:42 PM   #82
bugs99

Any information about what it would take to upgrade this box with a 2nd hard drive? Brackets? Cables?

Also, is it possible to take out the 2nd hard drive from an old Sony SAT-T60 (with the recorded programs) and add it to this box? Would I still be able to access those programs from the R10?
bugs99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:47 PM   #83
ebonovic
has gone his way...

As for a bracket... Check PTVUpgrades and Weakness , I am not sure if they have bracket's yet, but I am certain they are working on them.

As for taking the drive from your SAT-T60..
You can use the drive, but you will lose the recordings.

There is no upgrade method for any Tivo (DirecTivo or SA Tivo) that will allow you to access the recordings on the 2nd drive in a different system.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:38 PM   #84
JimSpence
Just hangin'

Quote:
Originally posted by Ensoniq
As a new owner of (2) R10 units, sorry to hijack this thread for a quick question about the One For All URC6131 remote:

Can the URC6131 control (2) different DVR units that are in the same room? I have one of the TiVo Dual-DVR peanut remotes (with the 1-2 switch on it) that I've been using but it's falling apart. I thought about replacing it with the same unit in the cool translucent blue color, but thought maybe the One For All would be a better overall replacement with better control for my Broksonic TV/VCR/DVD combo.

Thanks in advance for the info...and now back to your regularly scheduled program.
Yes the 6131 can control two units. But, you have to get one of the modified versions so that you can use two different remote addresses.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:55 AM   #85
DarienA

Any Harmony users in this thread with an R10? Harmony doesn't yet have the R10 listed as a DirecTV product so I'm having trouble finding a remote configuration that works comfortably with my newly given as a birthday gift 688. The Hughes 10-250 seemed to work ok, the DSR704 terribly.... any suggestions?
DarienA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 09:06 AM   #86
doomtown

My new R-10 looks different on the on screen guide and menus. Looks fuzzier or dull. Not near as clear or brite than my other receivers. Harder to read. I also notice a slight green tint to all pictures on all channels! I compared it to my hughes and 2 philips. I tried every different way of connecting to make sure it is the R-10, and not something else, like the input, or connection. Very noticeable when connected on same tv in split screen. (yes, I switch the connections to be sure).
Guess I'll have to return this! Anyone else notice anything? Should I get another R-10, or another Hughes?
doomtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:36 AM   #87
ebonovic
has gone his way...

DarienA:
The R10 uses the exact same remote as your DSR704. I am actually USING my remote from the DSR704, instead of the one that came with the R10... Simply becase I didn't want to reprogram the TV and AV controls.

DoomTown:
There is another thread out there specifically talking about your issue. I personally have not seen that problem with the two R10s I have hooked up.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:47 AM   #88
robgettier
this here KarlMalone

Quote:
Originally posted by doomtown
My new R-10 looks different on the on screen guide and menus. Looks fuzzier or dull. Not near as clear or brite than my other receivers. Harder to read. I also notice a slight green tint to all pictures on all channels! I compared it to my hughes and 2 philips. I tried every different way of connecting to make sure it is the R-10, and not something else, like the input, or connection. Very noticeable when connected on same tv in split screen. (yes, I switch the connections to be sure).
Guess I'll have to return this! Anyone else notice anything? Should I get another R-10, or another Hughes?
I have had this exact same issue. My R-10 is going back. See other thread at:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=212245
Old 12-23-2004, 04:28 PM   #89
twash

Great review. I see an IR output on the rear of the R10. I was wondering, does the R10 manual give any indication that it can start and stop a DVD recorder automatically using an IR emitter? For instance are there any remote codes listed in its manual for the numerous makes of DVD recorders...I bet not...

It would be kind of nice to be able to automatically start and stop, especially to stop, a DVD recorder that you have hooked to the R10 so that you would not have to be present to make a hard drive transfer to DVD. If the R10 would just make the transfer stop automatically, that would be very helpful. I guess that is one of the desirable features of the Humax, that it stops the DVD recording process automatically at the end of the program that you are transferring to DVD.

Thanks...
twash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 04:34 PM   #90
ebonovic
has gone his way...

There is no IR output on the R10... It has been removed.
There is a serial output ...