TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
pixlpush

Goodbye HR10-250! the most unreliable piece of gear I've ever owned

I just called and got the $19.95 deal to get a HR20 and new dish. I'm looking forward to putting the HR10-250 out to pasture, it won't even boot up right now. Itís crashed so many times since the last software update I canít even keep track anymore. Without the support this forum has provided I would have taken the thing out into the street and beat it with a baseball bat long ago. I purchased my HR10-250 shortly after they came out for nearly $1000.00. I can unequivocally say it is the most problematic piece of electronic equipment I've ever owned, a complete piece of crap in my opinion. Iíll spare you the gory details but here's a short summary that will no doubt sound familiar to you HR10 owners: Dead slow menus, 2 dead HDMI cards, 3 replacement boxes, software upgrade leaves it DOA, replaced 6 hardrives, and that's all I can remember. My technophobe wife is now convinced that they're something fundamentally wrong with HDTV because the HR10-250 failed so many times and refuses to record any of her programs in HD. I can only hope that the HR20 is better, its hard to imagine it being any worse.
pixlpush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
JimSpence
Just hangin'

And for the other side of the coin, my HR10-250 has worked just fine through all of the software upgrades.

We'll see you on the DBSTalk HR20 forum.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
pixlpush

Well I'm glad not everyone has had my experience. The only reason I put up with it so long was there weren't any other options available and I couldn't make myself eat the $1000.00 purchase price. Here's hoping for better things from the HR20
Old 06-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
bpratt

I agree with Jim, I have not seen problems with my two HR10-250s other than some audio dropouts after 6.3b was received. Maybe you have a problem with too much heat or unreliable power. If so, you will probably also have problems with your new HR20 unless you provide better air circulation or a UPS.
I also purchased my first HR10-250 shortly after they came out for $1000. Its still going strong.
Sony 46" LCD 1080p
Sony 46" LCD 1080p
Sony 42" LCD projection 720p
Mitsubishi 55" projection 1080i
bpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Sir_winealot
Seenyer Member

We've got 3 HR10's and when the units were all on 3.x, the only problem was....as they filled up with programming they got slower.

I let them upgrade one at a time, and with 6.3a I had the audio dropout problem on local OTA channels (10 second dropout on one of them). When 6.3d came, I let all 3 upgrade and they've been performing flawlessly since.

We added an HR20 to the mix, and we've been extremely disappointed with the performance of the unit. Hopefully, you'll have better luck than we did.

Sony 60" SXRD HDTV
Sony 42" A10 HDTV
Sharp 32" LC-32DA5U HDTV
Panasonic 32" LX70 HDTV
HR10-250 x 3
Sony T-60

Sir_winealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

I have two HR10s and in each one, the HDMI card died. I switched to component output and still use them, but it meant I had to rewire my whole AV system to configure for sound. It's been frustrating, but I expect to get another 8-10 months out of my HR10s before I swap them for HR20s to add to the one I already have ...
drew2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #7
JimSpence
Just hangin'

I guess I am lucky with regards to the HDMI problem because my HDTV doesn't have an HDMI input.
I don't even know if that card works.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
headcase

That sounds pretty rough -- I feel for ya.

My two HR10-250's and my two SD TiVo's have been going strong, hacks and all. Then again, whenever it started to act a little flakey, I was happy to wipe the hard drive clean. ;-)
headcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:03 PM   #9
BOBCAT

I have 4 HR10-250's And they are flawless. Although I have replaced all of the original hard drives with 400GB 7200RPM units, I have had only one hard drive failure and that was an original 250GB drive.
All upgrades to 6.3D went well, No audio dropouts, lockup's, missed recordings. Moves fast through menus, When I press record, it does it without long wait times. My dad's unit plays just as well also.
I will use these units until the sun sets on the MPEG2 stream.
Don't know why some people have trouble with their HR10's. The only reason that I can think of is that there hard drives have bad spots that the new software wrote to.
BOBCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:45 AM   #10
captain_video

I've worked with dozens of HDTivos and only one that I've owned personally ever had an issue with the HDMI card. The only other problems I've ever had with any of them is when 6.3 was first introduced. I experienced the audio dropout problems that plagued most people. You can blame Tivo and DirecTV for the issue and not the hardware.

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with your HDTivo. As with any consumer product, there are lemons out there and it sounds like you got one. I'd bet that a clean OS install would have fixed your problem. If not, then a new hard drive probably would. It's been my experience that taking software upgrades on top of a bad running Tivo just exaggerates the situation. It's best to wipe the slate clean and start over in most instances. I've wasted too much time and energy over the years trying to track down software problems on Tivos. It's just faster and easier to start over from scratch.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:34 AM   #11
sleeplyee

Have a nice deal. I like it.

thanks
sleeplyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:33 AM   #12
HiDefGator

Sorry to hear you had such problems with your HR10. Both of mine came from the original batch. Other than 2 bad HDMI cards, which I gave up on, they have both worked fine. I did get the new 5 lnb dish and multiswitch installed over the weekend , so I'm ready for the HR20's now. Just not sure when to get them. No new channels are available I can't get yet....
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:23 PM   #13
bacevedo

Wow - I never had problems with my HR10 either. However, I know that there are some people who had issues with them.

That's one reason why I decided to move forward with the HR20. I read people were having issues with them, but I also read people were having issues with the HR10. I thought, hey, just 'cause they are having issues doesn't mean that I will have issues. Glad I ordered it, no problems with the HR20 at all.

My HR10 is now in my bedroom, hoooked up to an old 27" CRT (non hi-def). It still makes a very nice 200 hour SD tivo.

Bryan
bacevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:09 PM   #14
fasTLane

HDTivo rocks!
fasTLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:29 PM   #15
Jon J
Curmudgeon

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to HR10-250 problems. I'm on my second. The first died after about a year. My current one performed flawlessly until the latest software release. There were no problems until about a month after it updated to 6.3d and now, for the past month at least, it locks up daily on average and must be manually reboooted. Then it works fine for an indeterminate amout of time before locking up again.

The Protection Plan has already agreed to replace it with an HR20 which I will own and to upgrade to the 5 LNB dish. But I really don't want to lose the TiVo software and have not okayed the swap yet. But, I'm getting closer every day.

You don't suppose there's something inserted in the software to cause the remaining HR10-250s to gradually go bad, do you? Pardon me while I adjust my aluminum hat.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:28 PM   #16
rb5505

while not perfect, our hr10-250 was mostly trouble free. i recall some problems during the upgrade software time, but that eventually ended (knocking on wood). an hr20-700 is due soon, hopefully i'll adapt to it. the tivo design for me will be hard to follow.
rb5505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:48 PM   #17
fasTLane

HDTivo is the greatest!
Old 06-25-2007, 06:50 PM   #18
Adam1115
20,000!!!

I was an HR10 fan, but cmon people, you can't say they are flawless or wonderful. If you were stuck with an early model you had to deal with HDMI problems.

But even if you didn't, the 6.3, 6.3a, 6.3b, 6.3c, 6.3d fiasco was the final straw. I was honestly very happy with the functionality I had with the HR10 (directv combined with OTA HD), but couldn't deal with their horrible support. It was either going to be an HR20 or Series3, but with the HR20 having so many problems and Directv requiring the HD package, the series3 made sense.

Best decision I ever made. Saving a TON of dough on analog cable and getting OTA HD...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:35 PM   #19
zamzickles

Sat T-60 and HR10-250 both are on their 3rd drives. I use them alot but don't think I'll ever be able to justify the $1000 for the HR10. If you were deep into computers, you find that few computers, even high end models, are able to playback HD, while recording 2 HD streams in the backround.

The truth of the matter is that they proposed and delivered a product that was ahead of it's time, and possibly, not up to doing everything we expected at the same time. The weak link was always the hard drive.
zamzickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:22 PM   #20
TyroneShoes
HD evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixlpush
...HR10-250...ís crashed so many times since the last software update I canít even keep track anymore... I can unequivocally say it is the most problematic piece of electronic equipment I've ever owned...
Obviously you've never owned a DISH 501, a DISH 508, or a DISH 721 (or anything running Windows ME on it).

I've had the exact opposite experience, with 3 HR10's, which are remarkably reliable compared to everything else I've used. Yours was a piece of crap, no contest there. My three are magical.
TyroneShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:56 PM   #21
fasTLane

HDTivo .... "feel the joy"
Old 06-25-2007, 09:03 PM   #22
rb5505

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneShoes
Obviously you've never owned a DISH 501, a DISH 508, or a DISH 721 (or anything running Windows ME on it).

I've had the exact opposite experience, with 3 HR10's, which are remarkably reliable compared to everything else I've used. Yours was a piece of crap, no contest there. My three are magical.
dish & windows, what a perfect disfunctional pair! i'll take my mac and directv (with their horrendous cust svc) any day.
rb5505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:08 AM   #23
pixlpush

After reading everyone's posts here I'm actually glad to hear most of you have had better experiences with your HR10-250's. Don't take me wrong, in the brief periods when mine was functioning properly it was great, everything I could want in a DVR. Problem is that those up and functioning periods weren't very numerous for me and have become more and more infrequent. I have limits.

I can never understand the willingness, myself included, to put up with failure prone technology. If you make an anaology to a car it's hard to imagine people saying things like...

1) "I've had to put 6 new engines in her but now she runs great."

2) "I think I remember it leaving me stranded out in the middle of Death Valley when GM upgraded the ECU over the air but it runs great now."

3) "GM will be happy to replace it with a new Cadillac if it ever gets to the point where it won't start and they can't fix it either."

While I'm waiting for the new install I checked the drives, they're fine, and instantcaked myself back to 6.3b and it's up and running again. I keep hoping that something I do will magically make it work without fault. I'm not expecting much at this point but I really am standing by to club it like a harp seal if it craps out one more time.

Last edited by pixlpush : 06-26-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:01 AM   #24
fasTLane

Could be some folk are lemon magnets.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:29 AM   #25
captain_video

Quote:
If you were stuck with an early model you had to deal with HDMI problems.
I had two early models and only one of them had an HDMI problem. The other one worked fine from day 1.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #26
ebockelman
PR#6

TC CLUB MEMBER
How ironic that you are disgusted with the lack of reliability of the HR10 and then go buy an HR20.

If you care about HDMI, I wish you the best of luck with the HR20. So far, I have had two HR20s on two different HDMI equipped televisions. Both TV worked great with the HR10 and Tivo S3 over HDMI. Neither work with the HR20.

To make matters worse, it's not that the video won't display from the HR20. The box refuses to boot if the HDMI cord is connected! The same result happens from and HR20-700 and HR20-100.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:39 AM   #27
ebonovic
has gone his way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebockelman
How ironic that you are disgusted with the lack of reliability of the HR10 and then go buy an HR20.

If you care about HDMI, I wish you the best of luck with the HR20. So far, I have had two HR20s on two different HDMI equipped televisions. Both TV worked great with the HR10 and Tivo S3 over HDMI. Neither work with the HR20.

To make matters worse, it's not that the video won't display from the HR20. The box refuses to boot if the HDMI cord is connected! The same result happens from and HR20-700 and HR20-100.
Out of curiosity... WHEN did that occur?
As that type of issue is FAR from the norm reported for several months now.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #28
sluciani
TiVowner Since '99

I had four of them, one dating back to the first batch of $1000 HR10s, way back when. Used them right up until 6.3d and all of them worked without any major hiccups. HDMI as well.

Can I ask the OP why he never requested a replacement HR10? Sounds like yours may have been a lemon. It happens. /steve
sluciani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #29
fasTLane

He done said he's had 3 replacement boxes (all lemony fresh).
Old 06-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #30
ebockelman
PR#6

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic
Out of curiosity... WHEN did that occur?
As that type of issue is FAR from the norm reported for several months now.
The HR20-700 attached to a Monoprice HDMI switch still doesn't work with my Mitsubishi projector. I last tried it about a month ago. To be fair, I should try that one again.

The HR20-100 (yes, the new model) attached directly to an Olevia LCD does the same thing (hangs at boot). Tried two days ago.

Last edited by ebockelman : 06-26-2007 at 02:54 PM.
ebockelman is online now   Reply With Quote