Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #571
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfouts74 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Unitron!

I downloaded the image from your dropbox and threw it on a flash drive. With the hard drive attached in an external enclosure, I ran the following in msflive:

1. fdisk -l
/dev/sdb1 = flash drive with .bak file
/dev/sdc1 = 1 TB Harddrive for TiVo

2. mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /dos
3. restore -s 128 -pi /dos/652_gset.bak /dev/sdc1

At this point it starts restore and begins. Unfortunately it returned an error again with only 36% remaining:
Restore: Input/output error restoring MFS data.
Restore: /dev/sdc113: No such file or directory.

As for WinMFS, I left the computer on all night and all day while I was at work and it still said "processing", so I cancelled it last night and tried again - same thing. Should I be waiting more than 24 hours?

No, 24 hours is way more than enough time.

You need to run the drive maker's own diagnostic software long test on your target drive(s).

Even if it's brand new.

Always do that before putting a drive into service--"stuff" can happen during shipping.

Also, has this drive ever been attached to a GigaByte brand motherboard, or used in something other than a TiVo?

Amazon currently has the 2TB WD20EURS for $95, and any of the 3 Series 3 models can use it if they've already been updated to version 11.0k of the TiVo OS.

However, /dev/sd"x"1 is a partition on /dev/sd"x", which is proper form when mounting it to access a file on that partition, but when restoring to a drive, you don't restore to a partition on the drive, you restore to the drive itself and the restoration process creates the needed partitions, so it would be more like

restore -s 128 -pi /dos/652_gset.bak /dev/sdc

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #572
dfouts74

Finally had a moment to attempt using this method -- worked great.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
No, 24 hours is way more than enough time.

You need to run the drive maker's own diagnostic software long test on your target drive(s).

Even if it's brand new.

Always do that before putting a drive into service--"stuff" can happen during shipping.

Also, has this drive ever been attached to a GigaByte brand motherboard, or used in something other than a TiVo?

Amazon currently has the 2TB WD20EURS for $95, and any of the 3 Series 3 models can use it if they've already been updated to version 11.0k of the TiVo OS.

However, /dev/sd"x"1 is a partition on /dev/sd"x", which is proper form when mounting it to access a file on that partition, but when restoring to a drive, you don't restore to a partition on the drive, you restore to the drive itself and the restoration process creates the needed partitions, so it would be more like

restore -s 128 -pi /dos/652_gset.bak /dev/sdc

dfouts74 is offline   Reply With Quote