TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-06-2005, 06:06 PM   #151
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe
I believe the later time is actually accurate.

It's driving me nuts that the ESPN-HD games are always blacked out here.
We can refer to the Cubs.com schedule page and hope that it is updated as soon as changes are made to starting times, etc.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/m...x.jsp?c_id=chc

FWIW, the 6/12 game vs. the Red Sox doesn't appear to have a WGN or Comcast telecast, just ESPN. So we might actually get to see a Cubs game in HD.

I'm in shock!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Share an online coupon here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DianaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:32 PM   #152
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Thumbs up Farnsy's brother

Bears sign former Tigers pitcher Farnsworth

Associated Press

NEWARK, N.J. - The Newark Bears signed former Detroit Tigers right-hander Jeff Farnsworth on Thursday.

<snip>

The brother of Chicago Cubs reliever Kyle Farnsworth, Jeff Farnsworth is the third pitcher with big league experience signed by the Bears in the past few weeks, joining reliever Reggie Harris and starter Carlos Castillo.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/san...s/11798915.htm

Photo of former Cub Kyle Farnsworth

Last edited by DianaMo : 06-07-2005 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:34 PM   #153
hefe
Rebus Philbin

He was in the Bigs? I don't remember him.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:35 PM   #154
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaMo
FWIW, the 6/12 game vs. the Red Sox doesn't appear to have a WGN or Comcast telecast, just ESPN. So we might actually get to see a Cubs game in HD.

I'm in shock!
I believe that Sunday nights are ESPN exclusive, so we should see that one in Chicago.

BTW, I didn't notice any "shininess" on the players.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #155
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Thumbs up Old timers Cubs vs. Cards game

Reuschel added to I-55 Classic
06/06/05 - Northern League (NL) Joliet JackHammers

JOLIET, IL – The Joliet JackHammers enhanced their lineup for the Budweiser I-55 Classic, an exhibition baseball game featuring former St. Louis Cardinals and Chicago Cubs that will be played at 7:05 pm on Saturday, July 30 at Silver Cross Field in Joliet’s City Center. The newest addition to the Cubs roster is Rick Reuschel. He pitched for four teams during his 19-year major league career. Twelve of those seasons, Rick pitched for the Cubs.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=3173466

also see:

http://www.jackhammerbaseball.com/

http://jackhammerbaseball.com/schedule/promo.html

Old 06-07-2005, 04:55 PM   #156
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe
I believe that Sunday nights are ESPN exclusive, so we should see that one in Chicago.

BTW, I didn't notice any "shininess" on the players.
The Cubs...in HD...on ESPN HD...in more than one color (besides a black screen) ???

No way!

-----

I don't think all the Cub players are aerodynamic / shiny , but I do think that some of them are. I guess we'll have a better chance at finding out on Sunday.

Or we could just watch the game like normal people.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:59 PM   #157
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
The Cubs...in HD...on ESPN HD...in more than one color (besides a black screen) ???

No way!

-----

I don't think all the Cub players are aerodynamic / shiny , but I do think that some of them are. I guess we'll have a better chance at finding out on Sunday.

Or we could just watch the game like normal people.
Last night's game was on WGN in HD, so I did get to see that one...I wish the Cubs hitters were seeing the ball as well as I was.

And Dusty fed into another of my pet peeves last night. Starting all right handers against a lefty pitcher. (Except for the pitcher's spot) I think it is always better to mix right and left handers, as it forces the pitcher to have to change their target and sightlines. It is easier to get into a groove when you can throw the same to everyone. (Notice that he walked the pitcher, the only lefty.)

Old 06-07-2005, 05:01 PM   #158
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Thumbs up Cubs and White Sox fan photos

Fan photos

The Chicago Tribune is running an interactive feature where Cubs and White Sox fans can send in their own photos of their family, friends and themselves somehow connected to their favorite team such as at the ballbark, wearing team hats, etc.

If you want to send in a photo, visit this page:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....1,842149.story

To see what others have sent in, visit these two pages:

White Sox
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....2.photogallery

Cubs
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....4.photogallery

Old 06-07-2005, 05:49 PM   #159
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Thumbs up

Unrelated, but funny...

Mark Prior photoshop fun image of the day:
http://cubsfun.blogspot.com/2005/06/healing-factor.html
Old 06-07-2005, 06:53 PM   #160
hefe
Rebus Philbin

I sure wish that were true, but I heard that Prior has said that he thinks he'll be back by around the end of the season.

Old 06-09-2005, 03:39 PM   #161
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb

>"1999 Home Run Derby" Taped 7/12/99 in Boston. Tue 6/7 1:00 PM ESPN

My Tivo recorded the '99 Home run derby. It was interesting seeing Nomar Garciaparra, Jeromy Burnitz and Sammy Sosa all competing in the same event.

Here are the results from that event if anyone is interested...
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/asgbox/hrderby.shtml

---------

Shock! The ESPN HD Cubs/Blue Jays game wasn't blacked out. I guess they only do that for Comcast games and this game was on WGN. Was interesting getting to hear Steve Stone again at a Cubs game.

The previous night's game (on Comcast) was "purpled out" in the ninth inning.
Yep, the cable went out - just on that channel which resulted in a purple screen.
Well, at least it wasn't blacked out like the ESPN games usually are.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:15 PM   #162
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Question An advantage for the visiting team ???

Dusty Baker was being interviewed before one of the games vs. the Blue Jays.

He said that the teams were unfamiliar with each other but that the Blue Jays may have one advantage in that the Cubs games are on almost every day on tv...and since they play a lot of day games, their game is on in other MLB clubhouses before they play their games. On the other hand, when was the last time you saw the Blue Jays on tv?

So the other teams have a better chance to watch the Cubs play than the Cubs have to see the other teams. Does this give them a measurable advantage - or does it just not matter because you can't learn how to hit a Wood / Prior / Zambrano pitch from watching tv?

Old 06-10-2005, 09:34 PM   #163
JakeyB

Quote:
So the other teams have a better chance to watch the Cubs play than the Cubs have to see the other teams. Does this give them a measurable advantage - or does it just not matter because you can't learn how to hit a Wood / Prior / Zambrano pitch from watching tv?
I have a hard time believing teams have any problems getting any video they want of any team. Sure Cubs' games may be on in the background while the Jays are in the clubhouse, but are they really sitting there studying the Cubs' pitchers on a daily basis? I doubt it. I essentially think Dusty was talking out his back side.

That said, can you learn how to hit a Wood/Prior/Zambrano? I think the best you can do is look for patterns. What do they throw when up 0-2, or down 2-0. Now, if they're doing their job, they're not predictable enough for hitters to pick up on that.

Re: Len and B.B. I really like Len, he's about 10x as knowledgable as Chip Carey ever was or ever will be. Bob is so-so, but he is starting to grow on me.
JakeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 10:49 PM   #164
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Highly overrated. The teams have scouts. They collect video. They have the pitching charts on their competition. I don't put any stock in Dusty's latest theory. Certainly no more than when he said in spring training that big guys like Derek Lee take longer to get started in the Spring because they have more moving parts.

FYI for Chicago area fans...Steve Stone will be a guest host for the Boers and Bernstein midday show on WSCR Chicago, 670 AM on Monday, from 10:00-2:00.

Old 06-11-2005, 06:29 PM   #165
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Cool

Quote:
More tv listings for Cubs fans...

MLB Baseball "Boston Red Sox at Chicago Cubs" Sat 6/11 2:00 PM Fox National game of the week

"Boston Red Sox at Chicago Cubs" Sun 6/12 7:00 PM ESPN, ESPN HD
(Will probably be blacked out. Most of the Cubs games on ESPN have been blacked out so far.)

I can't believe it. The other Fox game of the week was Cards/Yankees and that was the game that (yawn) aired here.

NY Yankees 5, St. Louis 0

I was rooting for the game to end as fast as possible in hopes that Fox might switch to the Cubs/Red Sox game. The Cubs/Red Sox game ended first though, with the Cubs winning 7-6.

Wish I could've seen it. It would've been one of those rare in HD games too. Arrgh! Had both the Tivo and the cable PVR set to record it. I've already deleted that Cardinal game off of the devices.

Heard that Zambrano was injured in that game. Hope he's okay.

Old 06-11-2005, 07:31 PM   #166
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Question Chi Cubs 14, Boston 6

Regarding the Chi Cubs 14, Boston 6 game yesterday...One of the Red Sox players broke his bat. It might've been Johnny Damon - but I'm not sure.

After the batter broke his bat - he went into the infield himself and fetched the broken bits, put the bat back together and handed it to the batboy.

My question is: does this strike you as odd or unusual?
Old 06-11-2005, 08:41 PM   #167
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Regarding the Chi Cubs 14, Boston 6 game yesterday...One of the Red Sox players broke his bat. It might've been Johnny Damon - but I'm not sure.

After the batter broke his bat - he went into the infield himself and fetched the broken bits, put the bat back together and handed it to the batboy.

My question is: does this strike you as odd or unusual?
It was in in HD. I replayed it looking to see if it looked like Sammy's bat. It didn't...

Old 06-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #168
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Cool

Saw last night's sports report regarding the Cards/Yankees game. The announcer mentioned the Yankee's relief pitcher by his nickname...or at least he tried to. I'm pretty sure that there is not a ck sound at the end of his nickname.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:37 PM   #169
tem

Another reason I do NOT miss Sammy:

9 times out of 10 he would have missed the cut-off man on that play on Sat (I think) where they caught someone overrunning 2nd and thereby given Damon a chance to bat w/ the bases loaded instead of having him lead off the next inning
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:31 PM   #170
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Thumbs up Baseball draft

llini represent Illinois well
Picks from state aplenty in 2005 baseball draft
By KEVIN MISSEL — Sports Reporter

Famous offspring

Two American League managers’ sons, quite a few sons of players, a Hall of Famer’s great nephew and Bozo the Clown’s grandson were all drafted.

<snip>

The sons of current major leaguers Jose Mesa and Roger Clemens and former players Floyd Bannister, Ivan DeJesus, Tim Wallach, John Mayberry, Carney Lansford, Garth Iorg, Bryan Harvey and John Shelby were all taken, as well. Former Cardinal and Pirate outfielder Andy Van Slyke had two sons drafted – one out of college and one out of high school.

The Cards drafted a great surname from their history, taking Old Dominion second baseman Jesse Schoendienst, the great nephew of former manager and Hall of Fame second baseman Red Schoendienst, in the 40th round.

Along the lines of other famous offspring, the Anaheim Angels drafted Bozo’s grandson in the supplemental first round. Trevor Bell, a righthanded pitcher from Crescenta Valley High School in California, was the 37th overall selection and is the grandson of the late Bob Bell, who portrayed Bozo the Clown on WGN-TV from 1959-84.

Read entire article at:

http://www.times-press.com/newsmain.php?storyid=12030

----------------

Baseball blog of the day:

http://danagonistes.blogspot.com/

Old 06-14-2005, 02:46 PM   #171
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Cool Red Sox, Marlins vs. Cubs

Well I missed Saturday's game vs. the Red Sox because it wasn't carried on Fox on the local cable.

Missed most of Sunday's 1-8 loss to the Red Sox as we were busy transplanting raspberry plants in the yard. I see I didn't miss anything there.

Also missed most of Monday night's game, a 1-9 loss to the Marlins thanks to a power outage here. I had the Tivo set to record the game. Whenever the power came back on, it would start recording again. When it went out again - it stopped until the power returned and then started a new recording of the game from that point on. I do have a battery backup for the Tivo and cable box, but it ran out of power before the service was restored.

Am glad I don't have the Tivo hooked up to the cablebox/pvr. When it shuts down it doesn't remember what it was doing when the power returns.

The Tivo does remember and continues the best that it can.

The storm knocked down my tv antenna and poked a branch thru my satellite dish.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:01 PM   #172
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Well I missed Saturday's game vs. the Red Sox because it wasn't carried on Fox on the local cable.
Where are you that you didn't get the Fox feed? Are you not in the Chicago area? Downstate?

And where did you get a picture of Eddie Murphy in a Cubs uniform?

Old 06-15-2005, 11:14 AM   #173
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb Cubs 14, Marlins 0

Fun game last night ! You might get a little dizzy though, watching those Cubbies go around and around the bases.

The Cubs photoshop blog has some interesting images today regarding the Marlins game:

http://cubsfun.blogspot.com/2005/06/totally-fowl.html

http://cubsfun.blogspot.com/2005/06/surfs-up.html

Keep checking that fan photos feature in the Chicago Tribune. More are uploaded every couple days and some are really creative.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....1,842149.story

What change would you make at Wrigley or U.S. Cellular?
Tell the Chicago Tribune here:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports....graffitiboard

Old 06-16-2005, 12:56 PM   #174
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb Is this MLB or Pro wrestling?

Did you watch yesterday's 5-15 loss to the Marlins ?

In the 9th inning was an odd play that I was surprised wasn't in the highlights reel, just because it was so odd.

Corey Patterson was stealing second and was called safe. The infielder had Corey's ankle or foot and held onto it causing him to hop to maintain his balance (and probably avoid an injury) and then he was called out since he was off the bag while a "tag" was applied. I thought Corey accepted the call quite well.
Was wondering "What would Kyle Farnsworth do?".

If plays like this regularly result in a call like this, I think MLB is going to add some pro wrestling fans during the season.

----------------

Glancing at my Tivo I see that it looks like WGN & Comcast both be covering the same Cubs/White Sox games next weekend and Comcast will air batting practice again. Kewl!

------------------

I mentioned this Google Video feature in another post, but thought I'd add some handy links here for future reference.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...igley+Field%22

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=%22Fenway+Park%22

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Cubs+%2B+Yankees

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...G=Search+Video

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...G=Search+Video

Old 06-23-2005, 01:10 PM   #175
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Would you like Cubs related license plates?

Yesterday I checked to see if there were any Cubs related personalized license plates available for Illinois plates.

Our main searches were for plates with "Cubs" and a number in it. Combinations of "Cubs" and another word was not researched much. Okay, I tried "Go Cubs" and none of those were available and that's about it.

If you have a mini-van, you could choose to have either a car plate or truck plate.

With personalized plates, truck plates have the number in front of the word, car plates end with the number. Illinois permits a limit of 7 characters in their plates, so with CUBS, there are only 3 characters that can be added.

I'm told that plates with 4 letters and then numbers are not charged the higher personalized plate rate. Those just cost the same as a regular plate. That's something to look into. We can have "Cubs" license plates without paying extra for a personalized plate!

As of yesterday, here is what was available in truck plates:

18 Cubs
19 Cubs
20 Cubs

35 Cubs
36 Cubs
40 Cubs
48 Cubs
49 Cubs
51 Cubs
52 Cubs
53 Cubs
54 Cubs
55 Cubs
57 Cubs
59 Cubs
63 Cubs

70 Cubs
76 Cubs
81 Cubs
82 Cubs
90 Cubs
97 Cubs
98 Cubs

There were far fewer car plates available, as we had to get into 3 digits to find any available.

Cubs 126
Cubs 127
Cubs 129
Cubs 130
Cubs 137
Cubs 138
Cubs 140
Cubs 142
Cubs 146
Cubs 147
Cubs 151
Cubs 152
Cubs 154
Cubs 156
Cubs 165
Cubs 160
Cubs 171
Cubs 173
Cubs 174
Cubs 177
Cubs 178
Cubs 179
Cubs 180
Cubs 181
Cubs 182
Cubs 186
Cubs 188
Cubs 191
Cubs 192
Cubs 193
Cubs 194
Cubs 195
Cubs 196
Cubs 197
Cubs 198
Cubs 199

And that's as far as we searched.

A friend of mine has a website where anyone can email in photos of license plates.

Here are some Cubs related ones:

http://bumpers.textamerica.com/?r=2046010

http://bumpers.textamerica.com/?r=2255836

http://bumpers.textamerica.com/?r=2618892

http://bumpers.textamerica.com/?r=2317364

http://bumpers.textamerica.com/?r=1754342

http://bumpers.textamerica.com/?r=1608953

http://bumpers.textamerica.com/?r=1286338

http://bumpers.textamerica.com/?r=2365738

http://bumpers.textamerica.com/?r=2164013

http://bumpers.textamerica.com/?r=1981620

http://bumpers.textamerica.com/?r=1532007

Old WGN
http://bumpers.textamerica.com/?r=1132226

Cubs Year
http://bumpers.textamerica.com/?r=859885

Not Cubs related, but for fun, try reading the license plate cover.
http://bumpers.textamerica.com/?r=2024447

License Plate Guide
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...uide/home.html

I sent this info to Ron and Pat. Let me know if they mention it during a game broadcast.

Old 06-23-2005, 01:42 PM   #176
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb Cubs carpet at Sam's Club

Found this Cubs carpet at Sam's Club. Was told it was a new item and more related items might be on the way. (View photo attachment)

This one sold for around $60 and was roughly 6x8 or so in size.

The box it was displayed in had photos of a smaller (and probably cheaper) rug that was not in stock.

Also available were foot mats for your car in a nice Chicago Bears design. I imagine that similar mats with the Cubs logo might become available at some time.

I tried searching online for it here http://samsclub.com with no success today.

Soooo, would you buy one of these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cubscarpetsamsclub.jpg (89.9 KB, 5 views)

Old 06-24-2005, 10:10 AM   #177
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb Cubs links of the day...

Derrek Lee to host 'This Week in Baseball'

P's & Q's and IOU's
Uribe's fakery adds to lore of city rivalry

By Paul Sullivan
Tribune staff reporter

June 24, 2005

MILWAUKEE -- Baseball etiquette is an oxymoron of sorts, considering good manners are in short supply in a game where knockdown pitches, takeout slides and sign-stealing are common practice.
<snip>
When Sox shortstop Juan Uribe deked the Cubs' Derrek Lee into believing Jeromy Burnitz's shot down the right-field line was a foul ball, Lee hesitated, costing him an opportunity to score from first. Though the Cubs won the game, the play turned into a symbol of the Sox's whatever-it-takes mantra.

Cubs manager Dusty Baker cried foul afterward, claiming Uribe had violated an unwritten rule in indicating to Lee the ball was foul. Even Sox first baseman Paul Konerko conceded Uribe's deception was out-of-bounds.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....,5785909.story

City Series '05 II starts Friday so RedEye peppered some Sox and Cubs with offbeat questions.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....,1199540.story

How the Crosstown Classic became an annual grudge match
http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/...s-recap24.html

Old 06-24-2005, 10:38 AM   #178
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb Cubs vs. White Sox tv listings June 2005

Cross-Town Showdown
Fri 6/24 1:00 PM Comcast
Duration: 2:00

"Chicago Cubs at Chicago White Sox" Fri 6/24 3:00 PM 9 WGNSAT and Comcast Sports Chicago

Re-airs on Comcast Sports Chicago at Fri 6/24 7:00 PM and Sat 6/25 1:30 AM

"Chicago Cubs at Chicago White Sox" Sat 6/25 3:00 PM 9 WGNSAT and Comcast

Re-airs on Comcast at Sat 6/25 7:00 PM and Sun 6/26 1:00 AM.

Showdown in the City WGN's Dan Roan and Rich King join White Sox announcer Ken `Hawk' Harrelson and Darren Jackson to preview the Crosstown Series from Chicago. Sun 6/26 1:30 PM WGN

"Chicago Cubs at Chicago White Sox" Sun 6/26 2:00 PM 9 WGNSAT and Comcast

Reairs on Comcast at Mon 6/27 1:00 AM and Mon 6/27 2:30 PM

Instant Replay (highlights) Sun 6/26 9:40 PM WGN

Source: Tivo listings

-----------

Friday, June 24
1:00 pm – Batter’s Box (live coverage of batting practice)
2:00 pm – Cubs on Deck (live, extended pre-game show)
3:00 pm – Cubs at White Sox (featuring Cubs announcers Len, Bob & Ryne)
6:00 pm – Cubs Post Game Live (featuring Dan Plesac, time approx.)

Sunday, June 26
1:30 pm – Cubs on Deck (live pre-game show)
2:00 pm – Cubs at White Sox (featuring Cubs announcers Len, Bob & Ryne)
5:00 pm – Cubs Post Game Live (featuring Dan Plesac, time approx.)

Source:
http://chicago.comcastsportsnet.com/...n-showdown.asp

Old 06-24-2005, 11:12 AM   #179
JakeyB

I'm going to the game today, so it's pretty much a lock that the Cubs will lose. Seriously, I think the Cubs' record in games I attend is around .050.
JakeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:15 AM   #180
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb

I had a chance to attend three Cubs games last year. Actually went to one. (check out the photos from that one)

The Cubs lost all three games - whether I was there or not.