Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-25-2005, 03:19 PM   #91
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaMo
If paying for and missing the Cubs games in HDTV (on ESPN due to blackout rules) didn't cause enough disappointment, tonight's game against the Reds ( Paul Wilson vs. Mark Prior) is airing on WCIU...only.

Here is a list of the WCIU games:
www.wciu.com/whatsNewItem.asp?pub_id=738

It seems to me that it might be an idea to air the WCIU games on WGN cable (not local) since the non-local subscribers don't have access to WCIU (a local Chicago station) and you know - the more viewers there are, the more advertising revenue is brought in.

If not WGN cable, then perhaps the games could be "rented out" to non-Chicago PAX stations where there are some ads included and Pax is given some airtime to sell ads for too.
Was tonight supposed to be on ESPN-HD? Nuts, I hate blackouts. This CIU thing is such a waste. I wish WGN would just give up this WB network junk and stop pretending they're a "network" like the big 3. (or 4) I long for the days when ALL the games were on WGN...

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:04 PM   #92
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe
Was tonight supposed to be on ESPN-HD? Nuts, I hate blackouts. This CIU thing is such a waste. I wish WGN would just give up this WB network junk and stop pretending they're a "network" like the big 3. (or 4) I long for the days when ALL the games were on WGN...
I'd rather they all be on WGN too. I have a c-band satellite dish and the games look FANTASTIC via the dish. However, Comcast isn't available via the big dish.

FWIW, if memory serves the most games WGN used to carry was 140 or so of the 162 game regular season schedule. I'd be content to get those again.

This past weekend's series at Houston had lousy picture quality via the cable. I wonder what happened?
DianaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #93
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Question Cubs vs. Reds - weird play

Stayed up late last night watching a Cubs vs Reds game from April 18th.

I needed some space on the PVR and wanted to see why this game was special.

First of all, the Cubs hit 4 home runs, including three in the first inning. Too bad I can't edit the recording for just the first inning or so.

In the bottom of the 8th inning, things got weird and ugly.

No outs and the Reds have the bases loaded, game tied at 5 apiece.

Adam Dunn is the runner at second base.

The batter hits the one bouncer to the Cub's Ramirez, who tags third base for the force and throws the ball to the catcher Barrett who tags the runner for an out at home plate.

Then Barrett spots activity heading to third and throws the ball that direction (for a potential triple play perhaps?) but it was a bad toss and rebounds off the wall.

The runner from second base (Dunn) finishes rounding the bases and touches home plate.

The Reds scoreboard shows the score at 6-5 now, even the Chicago telecast shows the same score. But their graphic shows one man on base when their should've been two on base.

Thanks to the PVR, I was able to rewind and replay this over and over til I figured it out.

Would anyone here like to guess what happened and what the result was regarding this play?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Share an online coupon here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:12 PM   #94
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
I'd rather they all be on WGN too. I have a c-band satellite dish and the games look FANTASTIC via the dish. However, Comcast isn't available via the big dish.

FWIW, if memory serves the most games WGN used to carry was 140 or so of the 162 game regular season schedule. I'd be content to get those again.

This past weekend's series at Houston had lousy picture quality via the cable. I wonder what happened?
Mine is via DirecTv, but yeah, the pic quality wasn't that great.

In past years, WGN had every game that wasn't in a national broadcast window. Of course, back then, there was just one exclusive window, I think, Saturday afternoon.
Remember, even Ryno's famous game wasn't on WGN, it was a Saturday afternoon on NBC. But yeah, almost all the games were on WGN.

Old 05-02-2005, 04:18 PM   #95
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Stayed up late last night watching a Cubs vs Reds game from April 18th.

I needed some space on the PVR and wanted to see why this game was special.

First of all, the Cubs hit 4 home runs, including three in the first inning. Too bad I can't edit the recording for just the first inning or so.

In the bottom of the 8th inning, things got weird and ugly.

No outs and the Reds have the bases loaded, game tied at 5 apiece.

Adam Dunn is the runner at second base.

The batter hits the one bouncer to the Cub's Ramirez, who tags third base for the force and throws the ball to the catcher Barrett who tags the runner for an out at home plate.

Then Barrett spots activity heading to third and throws the ball that direction (for a potential triple play perhaps?) but it was a bad toss and rebounds off the wall.

The runner from second base (Dunn) finishes rounding the bases and touches home plate.

The Reds scoreboard shows the score at 6-5 now, even the Chicago telecast shows the same score. But their graphic shows one man on base when their should've been two on base.

Thanks to the PVR, I was able to rewind and replay this over and over til I figured it out.

Would anyone here like to guess what happened and what the result was regarding this play?
Sounds confusing, I didn't see that game.
But Dunn should be out right away if Ramirez stepped on 3rd.
When they tag the runner at the plate, then the runners who started at 2nd and 3rd are erased. Perhaps it was the runner from first that came around and scored?

Old 05-02-2005, 04:31 PM   #96
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Question

Quote:
But Dunn should be out right away if Ramirez stepped on 3rd.
When they tag the runner at the plate, then the runners who started at 2nd and 3rd are erased.
You've got it right. Dunn should've noticed he was out at third and left the playing field. I'm guessing that he was frozen near 2nd to see if the ball was caught or not.
(He'd want to stay put on a fly ball.)
After that I guess he forgot he was out at third and kept running.

The thing is, everyone seemed to accept that he had just scored the lead run, the Reds congratulated him at home plate, the Cubs were bummed...except Nomar Garciaparra who smiled as he brought the issue to the umpires.

With a bit of time, the score reverted to the 5-5 tie...for a minute or two anyway.

Who's job is it to tally official runs scored? Is the the umps or the official scorer?

Did the umps need to do anything? There would be no reason for them to signal Dunn safe or out at the plate because (yoo hoo!) he's already out at third base.

Old 05-02-2005, 04:36 PM   #97
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Who's job is it to tally official runs scored? Is the the umps or the official scorer?

Did the umps need to do anything? There would be no reason for them to signal Dunn safe or out at the plate because (yoo hoo!) he's already out at third base.
I believe that falls to the umpires. The official scorer is hired by the home team, and his primary responsibility is to make determinations of hits/errors, passed balls/wild pitches, denoting the actual play sequences and such. I think the umpires are supposed to have the actual game stats (score, inning, outs, count) under their control.

Old 05-03-2005, 11:59 AM   #98
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Jay Johnstone

Today's Tribune includes an interview with former Cub Jay Johnstone.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....,6729935.story

He now works with his company "Sporthings".

http://www.sporthings.com/

http://www.sporthings.com/speakers.htm

Last edited by DianaMo : 05-03-2005 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:15 PM   #99
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Quote:
So what you're saying is that you want the old WGN, right?

Click here to view the OLD WGN license plates:

http://bumpers.textamerica.com/?r=1132226

Old 05-03-2005, 01:32 PM   #100
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
So what you're saying is that you want the old WGN, right?
In a way...but make it all HD.

Old 05-03-2005, 02:25 PM   #101
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Quote:
You're following along just fine. It is rather funny watching the replay. Adam Dunn looks back at the field after tagging home plate with a bit of a puzzled look on his face. He continues to the Reds dugout with high fives from the team.

I think he either missed that he was out (whoops) or simply got caught up in the moment and forgot.
You know, short term memory is the first to go...

Nomar pointed it out to the umps in a cheerful way and they seemed to agree and one ump was even laughing after he figured out what had happened.

The missing man on base was a tv tech info error.
The real result of the play was 2 outs, runners on 2nd and third.

I think that the runners should have been moved back a base each. They were able to advance a base each because of the Cub catcher's errant throw, but he threw it because of Dunn not leaving the field at the proper time (at the time of the out).

As it turned out, the next batter hit a double and two runs scored, which won the game. (or something like that...)

If "This week in baseball" was still in production, this would be a featured play.

Thanks for writing.

Diana

Old 05-03-2005, 02:26 PM   #102
DianaMo
Cubs fan

What makes an MLB jersey "authentic"?

What makes an MLB jersey "authentic"?

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=505993
Old 05-06-2005, 04:16 PM   #103
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Thumbs up

Cubs not for sale

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....1,800589.story

Old 05-06-2005, 04:18 PM   #104
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Cool

Did you see the Cardinals turn a triple play the other day?

If that had happened for the Cubs, the opponant would probably have scored from second despite the triple play. <G>

Old 05-06-2005, 07:25 PM   #105
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Did you see the Cardinals turn a triple play the other day?

If that had happened for the Cubs, the opponant would probably have scored from second despite the triple play. <G>
Diana, I am very depressed today. I am ready to throw in the towel on the whole season. It's unbelieveable...

Old 05-06-2005, 08:31 PM   #106
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Quote:
Diana, I am very depressed today. I am ready to throw in the towel on the whole season. It's unbelieveable...
Well, at least you know where your towel is. I think the Cubs are still looking for their towels.

(Hitchhikers Guide pun)

What do you think the Cubs need to do to start winning?

Here are some ideas...

1. Ronnie Woo Woo cheering in the Cubs dugout.

2. Ryne Sandberg leading off...

3. Bring back the names on the home jerseys. The players need that extra weight against the Wrigley winds.

4. Ronnie Woo Woo - visiting team clubhouse manager.

5. Start rumour in visitors clubhouse that Wrigley vines are really poison ivy.

6. Start day games against California teams at 11am.

7. After game meals are determined by outcome of game.

A loss results in tofu burgers and NY style veggie pizza.

The team can determine the winning meal plan.

8. Bigger mitts!

9. Invest in that infinate improbability drive.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:33 PM   #107
itstrue
No, really

More TV shows Cub Fans might like...
"Lost" (ABC)
"The Dead Zone" (USA)
"Rescue 911" (Discovery Health)
"Dogs With Jobs" (National Geographic)
"Deadwood" (HBO)
"Scrubs" (NBC)
"The Blues" (PBS)
itstrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:33 PM   #108
hefe
Rebus Philbin

I like those suggestions. I'd be willing to try any of them.

But I'll settle for a closer to start with...

Old 05-08-2005, 08:12 PM   #109
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Thumbs up

Woo hoo!

W

Old 05-08-2005, 11:59 PM   #110
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Looks like Monday's Cubs/Mets game is on WCIU.
Boo hiss!
These games really should be aired outside of the Chicago area too.

More tv listings...

Showdown in the City
Ken Harrison and Darrin Jackson join Dan Roan and Rich King to preview the crosstown series at Wrigley Field.
Fri 5/20 12:30 PM 9 WGN

The Tim McCarver Show "Jon Lieber"
The Phillies star pitcher, Jon Lieber, comments on the Yankees, Cubs, Phillies and baseball.
Sat 5/14 10:30 PM CSNCH

Baseball "2003: Home Run Derby" From U.S. Cellular Field in Chicago.
Tue 5/10 1:00 PM ESPN

and for those who miss Sammy Sosa...

MLB Baseball "Baltimore Orioles at Chicago White Sox"
Thu 5/12 7:00 PM 9 WGNSAT

Fri 5/13 7:00 PM CSNCH

Sat 5/14 6:00 PM 9 WGNSAT

Sun 5/15 2:00 PM CSNCH
Old 05-09-2005, 12:02 AM   #111
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:

Well that's one way to solve the closer problem...although, I don't know how often I want to see Zambrano throw 136 pitches...

Old 05-09-2005, 11:54 AM   #112
phluffhead

At least they don't have to face Pedro in the upcoming series with the Mets. But Hawkins just ain't getting it done. They need to figure something out or this is going to be a loooonnngggg season
phluffhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:45 PM   #113
FourFourSeven

Quote:
1. Ronnie Woo Woo cheering in the Cubs dugout.

2. Ryne Sandberg leading off...

3. Bring back the names on the home jerseys. The players need that extra weight against the Wrigley winds.

4. Ronnie Woo Woo - visiting team clubhouse manager.

5. Start rumour in visitors clubhouse that Wrigley vines are really poison ivy.

6. Start day games against California teams at 11am.

7. After game meals are determined by outcome of game.

A loss results in tofu burgers and NY style veggie pizza.

The team can determine the winning meal plan.

8. Bigger mitts!

9. Invest in that infinate improbability drive.
10. Erect 50-foot plexiglass wall in front of first base stands to deflect errant throws by pitchers throwing to first.

11. Switch up jerseys! Put Derrick Lee's jersey on Todd Hollandsworth - they'll pitch around him. Put Macias' jersey on Lee - he'll get meat down the middle...

12. Erect 50-foot-plexiglass wall in front of first-base dugout to keep opposing team off field.

13. Let Zambrano pitch until his arm falls off. Oh, wait, Baker already did that... (Side note - Zambrano's the one guy on the staff who's always been healthy, he's 23, and Baker does that?!? Honestly, for the guy's health, I'd rather have seen Hawkins come in and cLOSE the game...)

14. Erect 50-foot plexiglass retractable outfield walls. They go up in the top of the inning, down in the bottom...

15. Hire Ronnie Woo Woo as team announcer when opposing team bats. Leave microphone on.
FourFourSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:02 PM   #114
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Thumbs up Cubs and Stripes

Remember the scene from the Bill Murray movie "Stripes" where the group spends the night before graduation practicing to get it perfect.

I imagine that scene after Saturday's 7th loss in a row. Perhaps the Cubs got together that night and worked on the basics to make sure that whatever happens - they get it right.

They looked sharp in Sunday's win. Hope this continues.

Old 05-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #115
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Remember the scene from the Bill Murray movie "Stripes" where the group spends the night before graduation practicing to get it perfect.

I imagine that scene after Saturday's 7th loss in a row. Perhaps the Cubs got together that night and worked on the basics to make sure that whatever happens - they get it right.

They looked sharp in Sunday's win. Hope this continues.
Sure, as long as we don't ever have to make a call to the bullpen, everything will be great! Although more than 2 runs would be nice too.

But seriously, I sure hope Dempster can do the job. It's gotten ridiculous.

Old 05-12-2005, 02:21 PM   #116
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Thumbs up

I usually have 4 favorite Cubs players.

Last year they were Alex G, Clement, Hollandsworth and Macias.

So this year I need to add two players to my list.

After yesterday's game, I think I'll add Zambrano to the list.

I know, you're thinking "but he didn't play in that game".

Do you remember seeing the video of the reaction from the Cubs dugout to Derrek Lee's 10th inning home run?

I watched it over and over again via the Tivo and watched the reaction of each player.

In the first scene, you see Hollandsworth, Zambrano and Patterson watching the fly ball.

Next you see the players move closer to see if the ball made it over the basket...except Zambrano. He's gone.

Carlos is already to the stairs and was probably the first one to greet Lee at home plate.

I love watching his reactions. He appears to really care about the game and his team. Sure, the others care too, but his reactions seem to communicate better.

----

Do you remember earlier this year after a bad play the video caught Zambrano with a "eewwwww" expression on his face?

The tv cameras caught that same look last year at the All Star Game's home run derby after Sosa hit a huge home run. As a pitcher I think he was shuddering at the thought of a ball traveling that far...

-----

So I need to add one more fav player to my list.

Perhaps Ronny Cedano, we'll see.

BTW, is he related to Cesar Cedeno?

Old 05-12-2005, 02:36 PM   #117
DianaMo
Cubs fan

I'm not familiar with this program - is it a highlights show or what?

Maximum MLB

"New York Mets vs. Chicago Cubs"

Sat 5/21 9:00 AM

Sun 5/22 1:00 PM

SPIKETV

Duration: 0:30
No Rating
Baseball, Sports Non-Event, Sports

-------

Also noticed...

Baseball "2002 Home Run Derby"
From Miller Park in Milwaukee.
Tue 5/17 1:00 PM ESPN

SportsCentury "Babe Ruth" Thu 5/12 3:00 PM ESPNCL

Baseball "Ballpark Bloopers" Thu 5/19 1:30 PM ESPNCL

Friday's game airs on Comcast Sports Chicago PLUS starting at 6pm Central time.
You might need to channel surf to find this channel. I called my local cable dudes to ask about it.
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/m...x.jsp?c_id=chc

The 5/21 game against the White Sox is the Fox game of the week.
12:20pm.

Last edited by DianaMo : 05-12-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #118
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
I'm not familiar with this program - is it a highlights show or what?

Maximum MLB

"New York Mets vs. Chicago Cubs"

Sat 5/21 9:00 AM

Sun 5/22 1:00 PM

SPIKETV

Duration: 0:30
No Rating
Baseball, Sports Non-Event, Sports

-------
This is the first I am hearing of it. According to their website...

"This season, Spike is teaming up with Major League Baseball Productions to go inside the game like you’ve never been before. Each episode of Maximum MLB will bring you all the action from the week’s premier series, as well as highlights from around the league, with all the best and funniest plays out there. Maximum MLB will also feature miked up players- putting you on the field and in the clubhouse and dugouts- access you won’t get anywhere else. But wait, there’s more! We’ll take the rich tradition of baseball pranks to a new level with Spiked, the part of the program where we show players pulling fast ones on their teammates."

http://www.spiketv.com/shows/series/maximummlb/

Old 05-13-2005, 03:58 PM   #119
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Thumbs up

Quote from Teddy Greenstein's May 13, 2005 colum...

Two for one

Cubs fans who cannot attend next weekend's series against the White Sox won't have to listen to Harrelson's "You can put it on the board" home run call. And Sox fans won't have to listen to Bob Brenly's pro-Cubs spin.

For the first time since the Cubs-Sox regular-season series began in 1997, two local networks will broadcast the games. WGN-Ch. 9 and Comcast SportsNet will carry the Friday and Sunday games. Fox (WFLD-Ch. 32) will televise Saturday's game.

In past years only the home announcers called the games, which would be picked up by either WGN or Fox Sports Net. But now viewers can stick with their familiar voices.

CSN will use the Cubs' broadcast team Friday and the Sox's crew on Sunday.
WGN will do the opposite.

Source:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....1582257.column
(page 2 of column)

Hmmm, this sounds like a great ratings test for Tivo. Perhaps Tivo could measure which games get the best ratings in the Chicago area. Sure, the Cubs seem more popular, but the White Sox are in first place. Tivo should measure the viewership from each telecast of this series and offer a press release with the results.

BTW, thanks for looking up the tv show info.

Old 05-13-2005, 04:01 PM   #120
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Thumbs up Not the answer to life, the universe and everything

The questions I ask here don't offer the answer to life, the universe and everything, but I hope you'll enjoy this Cubs trivia question anyway.

The question for today:

What jersey number has been retired by the Cubs even though the player never played for the Chicago Cubs?