TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2016, 02:18 PM   #1
n548gxg

Flash to appear on CBS Supergirl

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/flas...st-1201695949/

Grant Gustin, star of The CW’s hit superhero series “The Flash,” will visit CBS’ “Supergirl” for a crossover episode set to air Monday, March 28 at 8 p.m. on CBS, it was announced Wednesday.

Plot details for the episode — including what will bring Barry Allen (Gustin) to National City to meet titular heroine Kara Danvers (Melissa Benoist) — are set to be announced at a later date.

n548gxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:56 PM   #2
bobcarn
Birthday Hug Monkey

That's awesome! I imagine it will be because he travels through a portal to a parallel Earth (or he travels to a few years into the future). In his current world, he's only been established for maybe a year? And as far as we know, there's no public Superman yet. In Supergirl's world, Superman has been public for some time.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #3
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcarn View Post
That's awesome! I imagine it will be because he travels through a portal to a parallel Earth (or he travels to a few years into the future). In his current world, he's only been established for maybe a year? And as far as we know, there's no public Superman yet. In Supergirl's world, Superman has been public for some time.
No but there was a line in Arrow that said the name Oracle has already been taken. That puts Arrow in the world with some version of Smallville (even with the Arrow differences) and, therefore, Flash in a world with superman. Is it the one with Supergirl? Who knows?

Old 02-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Cool. I can't really get in to Arrow but I like Flash and I like Super Girl. Glad to see them doing a crossover to establish the universe a bit more.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #5
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
No but there was a line in Arrow that said the name Oracle has already been taken. That puts Arrow in the world with some version of Smallville (even with the Arrow differences) and, therefore, Flash in a world with superman. Is it the one with Supergirl? Who knows?
When I heard Oracle, I thought of the real-world technology company, Oracle Corporation. Larry Ellison, etc. I didn't know there was a person in the DC Universe named Oracle.

Anyway, I think this is cool and am looking forward to it. Who is the guy in the center of the picture? I don't recognize him from either show. Maybe producer Greg Berlanti?

justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:17 PM   #6
cheesesteak
Meh.

Cool.

Fo' Fo' Fo' - Moses Malone
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:55 PM   #7
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
When I heard Oracle, I thought of the real-world technology company, Oracle Corporation. Larry Ellison, etc. I didn't know there was a person in the DC Universe named Oracle. Anyway, I think this is cool and am looking forward to it. Who is the guy in the center of the picture? I don't recognize him from either show. Maybe producer Greg Berlanti?
Depends. Usually Oracle was Barbara Gordon after the Joker paralyzed her. The Oracle in Smallville was Chloe Sullivan, a character created for the show.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #8
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Or, it could be an older Barry Allen who's been doing this for 13-14 years.

That said, I wonder if they'll write Gustin out of at least part of one episode of the Flash so that he can take to time to travel to Los Angeles and shoot this.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
I thought both shows were shot in Canada?

Old 02-03-2016, 07:40 PM   #10
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Supergirl is definitely in SoCal, centered around Downtown Los Angeles. (At least the outside scenes are).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4016454/...?ref_=tt_dt_dt

--Carlos V.

Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:54 PM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Well, really it just puts Arrow in a world based on DC Comics. As you mention later, the "real" Oracle is Barbara Gordon, not Chloe Sullivan.

Saying "Oracle is taken" means only that there is somebody who calls her/himself Oracle in the Arrowverse.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:37 PM   #12
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I thought both shows were shot in Canada?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
Supergirl is definitely in SoCal, centered around Downtown Los Angeles. (At least the outside scenes are).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4016454/...?ref_=tt_dt_dt

--Carlos V.
The Flash and Arrow (and Lucifer and iZombie) are most definitely shot in Vancouver, BC.

Much of the location shooting for Supergirl seems to be centered around Downtown at the Court buildings.
Some of the DEO exteriors I think are shot around the Santa Clarita/Castaic area.

As your link indicates, interiors are shot at the Warner Brothers Studio lot in Burbank.

In fact, I'm 99.9% certain that Supergirl's last battle with Red Tornado was shot on the section of the Studio lot that's up against the Los Angeles River.
You can see it when you drive down Forest Lawn Drive.

http://www.google.com/maps/@34.14671.../data=!3m1!1e3

When they did the Bones/Sleepy Hollow crossover, I noticed that they wrote Tom Mison and Nicole Beharie out of decent part of one episode, concentrating on Lyndie Greenwood's and Zach Appelman's characters so that Mison and Beharie could travel from Atlanta to Los Angeles to shoot the Bones segment.

That said, I'll be disappointed if Gustin and Benoist don't do a musical number together.
Maybe husband Blake Jenner can join them.

"I aim to misbehave"

Last edited by JYoung; 02-03-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:11 AM   #13
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Quote:
No but there was a line in Arrow that said the name Oracle has already been taken.
Huhwha? I'm an episode or two behind, but which was that?

Old 02-04-2016, 02:15 AM   #14
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Huhwha? I'm an episode or two behind, but which was that?
It was in
Spoiler:
last week's episode, "AWOL".

BTW, in tonight's episode of Arrow, I'm pretty sure I saw a building with the Wayne Industries logo. And I don't think it's the first time there's been a reference to Wayne Industries.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 02-04-2016, 08:17 AM   #15
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post

That said, I'll be disappointed if Gustin and Benoist don't do a musical number together.
Maybe husband Blake Jenner can join them.
I was surprised to find out the Benoist and Jenner were married. I only realized it when I looked up Blake Jenner in IMDB.

TriBruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:50 AM   #16
bobcarn
Birthday Hug Monkey

Quote:
Or, it could be an older Barry Allen who's been doing this for 13-14 years.
I had considered that (the possibility that they may use makeup to make him look older). I think that would open the possibilities of a lot of incongruities though. Both shows are considered to be happening "now", with subtle references to things that are happening now and presenting current technology. It would make storytelling difficult and messy to suddenly point out that Supergirl is happening over a decade from now.

I haven't been watching "Gotham" for a while, but when I did, I noticed that they tried to make technology, fashion, and styles somewhat ambiguous, not using things that would point to "today". "Supergirl" hasn't been doing that. There's lots of subtle references that point to a current timeframe.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #17
bobcarn
Birthday Hug Monkey

Quote:
Technically, all the worlds are some "version" of Smallville as they're all different versions of the DC universe.

I even heard a rumour last year that Barry would travel to the Smallville universe, with them getting some castmembers to reprise their roles. That would have been fun.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:53 PM   #18
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
I had considered that (the possibility that they may use makeup to make him look older). I think that would open the possibilities of a lot of incongruities though. Both shows are considered to be happening "now", with subtle references to things that are happening now and presenting current technology. It would make storytelling difficult and messy to suddenly point out that Supergirl is happening over a decade from now.

I haven't been watching "Gotham" for a while, but when I did, I noticed that they tried to make technology, fashion, and styles somewhat ambiguous, not using things that would point to "today". "Supergirl" hasn't been doing that. There's lots of subtle references that point to a current timeframe.
Not if he's the Barry Allen of the Supergirl universe (assuming that The Flash and Arrow are in different universes).

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 02-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #19
bobcarn
Birthday Hug Monkey

Quote:
Not if he's the Barry Allen of the Supergirl universe (assuming that The Flash and Arrow are in different universes).
That makes sense, except it's something I don't think the writers or producers would attempt. Seeing the same actor appearing in the series could confuse people. They could try it with a variation on the costume so it's implied that it's a "different" Flash. That may alleviate some of the concerns. But the article does describe it as a crossover event. I think it's very likely they'll try to get this current Flash to appear in Supergirl's world.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:47 PM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Just because they've never mentioned Superman or Supergirl in The Flash or Arrow doesn't mean they don't exist in their worlds. They're all in different cities, protecting their local communities, so they don't necessarily need to consider them in any way.

I don't think they'll try to blend it into the Smallville universe though. At some point they used all the characters in the current series in Smallville using different actors, so it doesn't make sense. Especially since The Flash in Smallville was Bart Allen, who I believe is Barry's grandson in the comics. Too many continuity issues there. Plus most of the people in Smallville were terrible actors. (models taking their first stab at acting)

Old 02-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #21
TonyD79

Quote:
I don't understand your assumption. Flash and Arrow are very much the same universe. They cross over all the time.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:47 PM   #22
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
I don't understand your assumption. Flash and Arrow are very much the same universe. They cross over all the time.
A different universe from Supergirl and "National City" (which is clearly Los Angeles).

It's also not an assumption. It's pure speculation on my part.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 02-04-2016, 05:52 PM   #23
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
That makes sense, except it's something I don't think the writers or producers would attempt. Seeing the same actor appearing in the series could confuse people. They could try it with a variation on the costume so it's implied that it's a "different" Flash. That may alleviate some of the concerns. But the article does describe it as a crossover event. I think it's very likely they'll try to get this current Flash to appear in Supergirl's world.
That may very well be but as I admit, I'm just spitballing here as we have very little factual information to go on.

I'm very interested in seeing how they do this,

"I aim to misbehave"

Last edited by JYoung; 02-04-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:20 PM   #24
jth tv

CW crossover with CBS ? I can't remember any shows that crossed networks before.

jth tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #25
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
CBS owns half of CW so it's not really crossing networks in the strictest sense.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:04 PM   #26
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth tv View Post
CW crossover with CBS ? I can't remember any shows that crossed networks before.
There were any number of shows that Detective Munch appeared on...

Old 02-04-2016, 09:12 PM   #27
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Off the top of my head, Ally McBeal (Fox) crossed over with The Practice (ABC).

Technically, Buffy crossed over once with Angel when Buffy was on UPN and Angel was on the WB Network.

It's rare but it has happened.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 02-04-2016, 10:10 PM   #28
TonyD79

Quote:
A different universe from Supergirl and "National City" (which is clearly Los Angeles). It's also not an assumption. It's pure speculation on my part.
Oh. I didn't read it that way. Gotcha.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:17 PM   #29
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Quote:
Off the top of my head, Ally McBeal (Fox) crossed over with The Practice (ABC).

Technically, Buffy crossed over once with Angel when Buffy was on UPN and Angel was on the WB Network.

It's rare but it has happened.

Same producers/show runners of currently hit shows… as will be this one.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:46 PM   #30
mattack

Quote:
Not EXACTLY your question, but Richard Anderson played Oscar Goldman (a recurring character) on both "The Six Million Dollar Man" and "The Bionic Woman", including the 1978 season where the former was on ABC and the latter was on NBC (after having switched networks). Specific info gotten from imdb, but that was just getting the exact facts for the factoid stuck in my brain.

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote