TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #1
dtle

Arrow S03E10 "Left Behind" - OAD 21-Jan-2015

So nothing mystical or magical about Ollie's revival. Just good old-fashion luck (a ledge to break his fall and non-fatal injury) and loyalty. It's still stretches the imaginary a little further.

It's nice to see how the team struggles without Ollie. It is after all, his show. It breaks my heart to watch Felicity breaks down like that.

As for the new Canary, she seem a lot better than before, with the new weapons. However, we will have to wait to see if she's effective at all.

dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
So nothing mystical or magical about Ollie's revival. Just good old-fashion luck (a ledge to break his fall and non-fatal injury) and loyalty. It's still stretches the imaginary a little further.
I don't think that's quite the answer. That shot over the cliff and down the side of the mountain to where Oliver's body was made it seem like he fell 100 yards. Even for a comic book show, it's absurd to posit that someone could survive that... let alone after having been stabbed through the torso and severely hemorraghing.

That said, I have no idea what their explanation is going to be. Stephen Amell said in an interview that

Spoiler:
the answer isn't going to involve a Lazaraus Pit.

Who knows if he was being honest about that.

cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
I don't think that's quite the answer. That shot over the cliff and down the side of the mountain to where Oliver's body was made it seem like he fell 100 yards. Even for a comic book show, it's absurd to posit that someone could survive that... let alone after having been stabbed through the torso and severely hemorrhaging.
Plus (unless they're playing games with time) lying on the frozen ground for three days. If he wasn't dead when he hit the ground, he certainly was by the time his Japanese buddy found him.

Too bad TV DNA tests aren't like TV CC cameras...Felicity could have looked at the DNA, seen that he had been run through, and determined whether the would was fatal.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Plus (unless they're playing games with time)
As I've commented before, this show is as casual with time as Alias was. In this episode, Merlyn somehow went from the Arrow cave to the sacred League site (presumably in another part of the world), climbed the mountain, and then went back down and got back to the US and the Arrow cave in what appeared to be 24 hours or much less. So who knows.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:10 AM   #5
alpacaboy

Quote:
As for the new Canary, she seem a lot better than before, with the new weapons. However, we will have to wait to see if she's effective at all.
I didn't think Katie felt as convincing as Caity with the fighting and the staff.

I think Caity's motion felt more fluid, and I know she has a background in hip hop dance and Parkour. But maybe Katie will get better with practice. I read that when she was little, she's had dance, gymnastics, and cheerleading.

I'm still mildly amused that the actresses playing Black Canary have first names that sound alike.

alpacaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
As I've commented before, this show is as casual with time as Alias was. In this episode, Merlyn somehow went from the Arrow cave to the sacred League site (presumably in another part of the world), climbed the mountain, and then went back down and got back to the US and the Arrow cave in what appeared to be 24 hours or much less. So who knows.
Actually, I'm pretty sure the Sacred League Site is relatively near Star City...I believe there was an explicit reference to Ollie's travel time being short when he went there.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #7
john4200

Quote:
So nothing mystical or magical about Ollie's revival.
I'm not sure why you say that. Maseo told Oliver that he asked Tatsu to come there so she could "bring him back to life".

As I feared, it seems that the full extent of Oliver's plan was to have a fair fight with Ra's and defeat him. What a terrible job of writing that was. It makes Oliver look like a complete imbecile. If the story they had in mind needed so badly for him to die, they could at least have made Oliver aware enough to realize he was going to certain death.

john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpacaboy View Post
I didn't think Katie felt as convincing as Caity with the fighting and the staff.

I think Caity's motion felt more fluid, and I know she has a background in hip hop dance and Parkour. But maybe Katie will get better with practice. I read that when she was little, she's had dance, gymnastics, and cheerleading.
I don't think we had enough to judge, what with one kick and one swing of the staff.
(Though, it still looked better than Willa Holland's efforts with the Arrow.)

I figured that Maseo might have his own reasons for saving Ollie and now we've seen them.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #9
vertigo235

I think Oliver knew he might not survive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:00 PM   #10
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
I think Oliver knew he might not survive.
Which is exactly why the writing was so bad. Oliver acted like he was going into a difficult fight against a formidable opponent, not like he was going to his certain death.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:15 PM   #11
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Which is exactly why the writing was so bad. Oliver acted like he was going into a difficult fight against a formidable opponent, not like he was going to his certain death.
Well, of course he acted like he was going into a difficult fight against a formidable opponent -- he was! We've been shown three-plus seasons of flashbacks, practically the entire point of which has been Oliver learning over and over and over again that he is capable of more than he thought, to say nothing of similar lessons he has learned in the present (e.g. his victory over Slade). You keep saying it was bad writing here, but in fact it would have been bad writing for Oliver not to have had confidence in himself after all the groundwork the show has laid in this regard. He was not jovial and lighthearted about fighting Ra's, after all. He was quietly confident, which felt about right to me.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:20 AM   #12
john4200

Quote:
Well, of course he acted like he was going into a difficult fight against a formidable opponent -- he was!
No, he was not. Oliver was going to his certain death. Ra's is not a formidable opponent -- he is an unbeatable force of nature. Which was completely obvious to anyone who knew enough about Ra's to know that he could challenge him to single combat to decide an important matter.

I keep saying it was bad writing because it was bad. Terrible. All the writers seemed to care about was how to kill Oliver off and then bring him back. They completely ignored the character that Oliver has been built up to be and turned him into a complete imbecile who walked into a fight to his certain death totally clueless.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:28 PM   #13
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
No, he was not. Oliver was going to his certain death. Ra's is not a formidable opponent -- he is an unbeatable force of nature. Which was completely obvious to anyone who knew enough about Ra's to know that he could challenge him to single combat to decide an important matter.

I think you are assuming knowledge about Ra's that's not there, just because we know things about Ra's (things not mentioned in the show by the way) based on comic book knowledge.

There's no indication that anyone in the show knows or thinks that Ra's is immortal. Merlyn believed that Oliver had a chance again Ra's, otherwise he wouldn't have forced Oliver to fight him. It seems as far as anyone knows Ra's is just a very good fighter. Why would Oliver think he's "an unbeatable force of nature" based on that information?

Up until this episode, with the exception of Slade, no one has exhibited any forms of special abilities or powers, so why believe Ra's has any? Though they then have a guy who's apparently bullet proof (including his skull) in this episode and no one seems surprised, so who knows really.

morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #14
john4200

As I already said, anyone who knows enough about Ra's to know about his right of challenge to trial by combat would also know that Ra's is unbeatable (and essentially immortal). You do not challenge the ageless leader of a legendary assassin league, someone so adept at combat that no one has dared to even challenge for 67 years, and expect to have any chance of winning.

No indication that anyone in the show knows that Ra's is immortal. You're hilarious!