TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-25-2004, 08:38 PM   #1
Mephistopheles

PPP Serial Trouble

Hello,

I'm trying to setup my Tivo to use a PPP Serial connection to my Windows XP PC for its "calls to home."

I followed every step listed on http://www.tivohelp.com (click on Establish a Serial Cable Connection with Tivo). I have Tivo software 3.0 or higher, I have a PPP Serial cable w/ null modem adapter (from 9thtee.com), and followed all the troubleshooting steps that applied to me.

My Tivo does connect to my pc, it is assigned an ip address by my Linksys Broadband Router (model BEFW11S4), and in general seems to have no issue communicating with my PC.

Unfortunately my Tivo only says "Negotiating" at the connecting prompt and eventually times out, saying connection failed while negotiating.

I do have a firewall and disabled that just in case it was causing problems, but that failed to resolve the issue.

If anyone has any ideas, helpful advice, or know why I'm having this issue, your help would be most appreciated. Thanks
Mephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:42 PM   #2
Mephistopheles

I almost forgot something.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but it is a DirecTV receiver type Tivo made by Phillips, model DSR7000/17
Mephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 10:35 PM   #3
omnifarius

I'm having problems getting my connection to work as well. I have the Hughes SD-DVR40 Directivo with software version 3.1.1c and my network is on a Linksys BEFSR41 Router. I have the null modem serial cable from 9thtee. I'm running Win2k on the box I'm trying to connect to.

I followed the instructions posted above and read through as many other troubleshooting tips as I could find in the (un)supported broadband thread but nothing has helped yet. The test call gets to the 'connecting' stage and never actually connects.

When I try hyperterminal to check the connection, all I get is
Quote:
~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}$}'}"}(}"P}^~~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}
$}'}"}(}"P}^~~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}$}'}"}(}"P}^~~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&}
} } } }%}&}$}'}"}(}"P}^~~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}$}'}"}(}"P}^~~ }#
!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}$}'}"}(}"P}^~~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}$}'}
"}(}"P}^~~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}$}'}"}(}"P}^~~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } }
} }%}&}$}'}"}(}"P}^~~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}$}'}"}(}"P}^~
and I don't see the "User Request" phrase mentioned in the troubleshooting tips with the tivohelp.com article. Different port speeds just give me different amounts of the same garbage but still no "user request" anywhere in there.

In my router settings, I haven't changed much from the default so I don't think there would be a problem there. I use the DHCP server rather than static but the tivo never seems to get an IP while trying to connect to my PC/network. I don't see an option in my router to enable SPI which was mentioned a few times in that huge ethernet howto thread. Also trying to allow VPN in the connections never seemed to work either.

Any other advice would be appreciated as I'd like to be able to get this up and running so I can move on to worrying about putting some bigger drives in my new toy. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:13 PM   #4
yoneltx

Omnifarius...Did you get your issue solved...I am having the same problem. I have a HUghes SD_DVR40 running 3.1*** software. My pc has XP. I made the cable myself though (just 3 feet long) . Any ideas anybody .

I use hyperterminal, get the 6 lines of data starting with "~" but don't get "User Request".

According to the diagrams circulating around this furoms, I only have to connect pins 2,3,5 of DB9 to 3 wires of stereo plug right? Just 3 wires connection?

Best wishes

Yonel

Hughes SD-DVR40
software 3.1.****
yoneltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 03:21 PM   #5
cactus46

When you followed the instructions modifying mdmhayes.inf, did you all delete mdmhayes.pnf and then reboot? This is an important step because without the modified instructions in the mdmhayes.inf, the whole exercise will fail.
Also, when the Win XP machine upgrades to SP 2, it also wipes out the changes in the mdmhayes.inf and mdmhayes.pnf files. This also causes failure.
In some instances it is a good idea to specify two IP addresses to be assigned when TiVo makes its call. It is best in my opinion to use two IP address that would not be assigned by the router. This is less confusing. The relationship between the PC conntected to the TiVo is one of client/server. The PC then uses the IP address assigned by the router to talk to the WAN--the outside world/ TiVo's home bse.

If you are seeing characters on your computer with Hyperterminal from the TiVo, then your serial cable is ok in my opinion. My guess the problem lies in the changes to the '.inf' and '.pnf' files. See if you can determine what IP address is given to the <unauthenticated user> properties.

In Win XP, (I have no experience with a W2k computer but it should be similar) when TiVo goes to make the Daily Call, one can click on 'Start/Connect to/ (or Network Connections)/ Show all connections. One should then see <Unauthenticated User> pop up when TiVo tries to connect while making a Test Call or Daily Call. Double clicking on the <Unauthenticated User> will show the Status of the request and the clicking on 'Details' should show the assigned IP addresses--client and server. If we are not getting this far then perhaps we will have to back up a little.

Please let us know if this response helps.

John

Last edited by cactus46 : 09-18-2004 at 04:07 PM.
cactus46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 05:47 AM   #6
yoneltx

Thanks for the replay john...

OK...now i got it to negotiate with XP, using IP address.

However, its failing during negotiation.

My hayes.pnf file was deleted and the system was also rebooted!

Any ideas?
Old 09-19-2004, 10:04 AM   #7
yoneltx

weird ppp stuff

I finally got the connection to work. It connected, negotiated and downloaded some data. I disabled my norton firewall and the XP firewall. I also made my ip range from 168.192.0.1 to 168.192.0.100.

Once the data was downloaded, i try to connect again and the connection failed in the negotiating stage, and it has been failing ever since.

Once I checked the system info in my TiVo, I could see that the DirectTV status said - programing suspended!

Could it been that direct TV now has a way to detect the ppp conections and disabling the programing?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2004, 07:02 PM   #8
cactus46

Is 168.192.0.1 to 168.192.0.100 a transposed IP address? Try an address like 192.168.0.19 and 192.168.0.20. That's all it needs is two IP addresses. I doubt if it would work with WAN or big Internet addresses. 192.168.xxx.xxx are valid LAN addresses which should work.

Did you Cut'n'Paste the appropriate additions to the mdmhayes.inf, delete the mdmhayes.pnf file, and then reboot?

I would not try to slow the settings down for the serial link. Use the ,#211 in the TiVo 'Dial Prefix' and be sure the modem is setup for 115 kbps in the properties. My TiVo and computer work great with the 115 kbps settings. Most computer serial ports will handle the 115 kbps without a problem. Be sure that the 'flow control' is set to 'off', too.

My initial setup failed, too. Going back and starting over from the beginning cleared up the failue issue I was initially having. If all else fails, try setting up the Serial to PPP a second time. You will become proficient at it.

My PPP connections work fine with my DirecTV TiVo.

I hope we are making progress.

John

Last edited by cactus46 : 09-19-2004 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:36 AM   #9
yoneltx

Thumbs up

Yes, it was a transposed ip address: I typed it wrong in the previous post. It was the right way in the ip setup though!

However, I followed your advice and used

192.168.0.8 to 192.168.0.9 range...

And now I can connect every time (even with my norton firewall and my XP built-in firewall on.)

Thanks for all your help John

Yonel
Old 09-20-2004, 01:01 PM   #10
cactus46

That's good news, Yonel! Thanks for letting us know of your success.

I wonder how omnifarius and Mephistopheles are doing with their setups? Perhaps no news is good news, too?

John

Last edited by cactus46 : 09-20-2004 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:35 AM   #11
chicagochris

I am having the same issue as others here:

HR10-250
Serial cable from 9tee.com
Broadband
Linksys Router

My Tivo makes the connection to the PC but craps out at the negotiating portion (so i know the cable works). I have triple checked all of the PC configs described in all of the docs here and all look good.

My question is

1. Do i need to specify a phone number in the Tivo setup even while using PPP
2. Is there a setting perhaps in my physical router i need to make?

Thanks in advance!

Chris
chicagochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 02:07 PM   #12
cactus46

Chris,

If it your call gets to the 'negotiating' stage then the telephone number is a non-issue. You are using the ,#211 dialing prefix which tells the call to use the serial port on the TiVo.

Answer to your second question: If computer connects to the Internet via the router and you don't restrict it, then there should be no changes you need to make to the router.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, what IP addresses is your computer giving to the TiVo?

"In Win XP, (I have no experience with a W2k computer but it should be similar) when TiVo goes to make the Daily Call, one can click on 'Start/Connect to/ (or Network Connections)/ Show all connections. One should then see <Unauthenticated User> pop up when TiVo tries to connect while making a Test Call or Daily Call. Double clicking on the <Unauthenticated User> will show the Status of the request and the clicking on 'Details' should show the assigned IP addresses--client and server. If we are not getting this far then perhaps we will have to back up a little."

John
Old 09-21-2004, 02:30 PM   #13
chicagochris

Thanks. I am getting that far. I can see the client connection, the users connection etc. It just keeps negotiating...

I am going to try and add the two static Ip addresses that others seem to have success with.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:20 PM   #14
cactus46

chicagochris,

I'll be on vacation for a month and won't be visiting the forum for that time.

If you have never had Serial to PPP working, then I would double check the changes to the mdmhayes.inf file, delete the mdmhayes.pnf file if the changes to the .inf file look correct and then reboot. Avoid playing with the 115 kbps speed because the default 115 k and the ,#211 should work fine with most of today's computers.

If you had Serial to PPP working and it quit, then it might have been because your computer's Win XP upgraded to SP 2 automatically replacing the mdmhayes.inf/.pnf files?

Anyway, keep posting here on your progress and I hope someone helps you as needed.

Good luck.

John
Old 09-22-2004, 11:45 AM   #15
chicagochris

Thanks for the help. I rebooted, waited a day came back and it worked....very odd but again...thanks for the help.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:16 PM   #16
omnifarius

Arrow still having problems

I guess I need to check the boards more often. I didn't even realize there were this many replies to the topic. Sorry about that.

I still haven't gotten my serial connection to work yet. I put that aside until after I had upgraded my hard drive. And once I upgraded my hard drive successfully, I ended up getting a wireless USB adapter to eventually use to connect my tivo. Of course, I haven't gotten that working yet either, but I haven't been paying much attention to it. Once I get close to filling up the hard drive I'll need to be able to transfer shows off to burn onto DVD. When that time comes, I'll probably get it all set up.

I would still eventually like to get the serial connection to work, but if I get the wireless adapter working, I will be able to use that for everything the serial connection would have done so it seems like a moot point. Thanks for the replies and hopefully I'll be able to figure it out eventually.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:03 PM   #17
Toeside
Circa Dec 2005

I'm having some trouble with PPP over Serial.

It works fine on my HR10-250 (HD TiVo) but when the daily call takes place on my DSR6000, it reboots.

Any clue?

Craig
Old 11-15-2004, 08:58 PM   #18
etsolow
Don't Try

Hmm, I'm having the same problem (call hangs at "negotiating"). I've checked Hyperterminal and while I do see some junk coming through, I never see the "User Request" like I guess I should, regardless of port speed settings. I've tried both DHCP and static IP addresses for the incoming connection, either way I can ping the IP that gets assigned. Anyone have any ideas for me?

(Other stuff I've tried: disable XP firewall, reboot PC, various IP addresses in various ranges (both on my subnet and off), recreate incoming connection, various port speeds from 9600 - 115.2).

EDIT: OK, I tried again with IP addresses in my subnet range, and now I can connect via PPP to download the local number list, but it fails on "configuring" when I try a test call. Does that mean anything? If it can dial for the local number list, why can't it complete a test call?

EDIT2: While my HR10-250 returns the above error, my HDVR2 seems to be working fine. It is connected and downloading as I speak. The same setup should work on an HDTiVo too, right? I wonder what's goin' on there...

Last edited by etsolow : 11-15-2004 at 09:24 PM.
etsolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:31 PM   #19
gordo

I'm wondering if there is a HR10-250 issue. I'm having the same (failing on negotiating) problem. Se my post here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...99#post2398199
gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 04:15 PM   #20
ManNantuck

I have tried the PPP fo a while now. 1) modified mdmhayes, 2) deleted the pnf file. 3) the Tivo and computer are definately communicating - The connection registers sent and received packets.

The issue is that the Tivo is not getting an internet conneciton. I have tried using the 192.168.0.100 to 110 range. Is there anything else I can be missing? The computer is a win2000 machine.
ManNantuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 06:21 PM   #21
mlobbia

Not sure if it will help, but for whatever reason, I have mine set to
192.168.1.100 to 110 range.

Good luck!
mlobbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 11:08 PM   #22
smjj

A slightly different problem.........

I'm having a little trouble with this as well. I have two SD-DVR40's and I use serial PPP with the 9thtee cable. All works well with one of the 40's, the other one always hangs at "Getting Account Status" for a minute or so, then the call ends and the status says "Failed Getting Account Status". Both boxes have the identical prefix settings of ,#211. The problem box is getting an IP from the laptop during the calls, same laptop and cable is used for both units. I even went as far as to check with D* to see if this box was indeed tied to my DVR account and they said "yes". Any ideas??

BTW, I setup Serial PPP with the directions pointed out by the fine folks who post on this site. It is a godsend for those of us with VoIP phone service. If it wasn't for you guys I'd still be looking at that nasty nag screen every time I start up the Tivo. Thanks to all!!
smjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:44 AM   #23
tbhausen

I fought this very same problem recently (5 or 6 lines of garbage but no "User Request" in HyperTerminal). I simply looked at my router's list of connected DHCP clients and assigned a range of two IP addresses to the "Incoming Connection"'s network tab within the same subnet as all the other NATted IP's my router was handing out. All has been smooth since then. My first call did over 10MB (new OS) and it worked at 115kbps with a 35' home-made CAT-5 cable. Any q's, just ask. I fought this for so long, I'm almost an expert now

Todd/Indy

Last edited by tbhausen : 12-13-2004 at 12:52 AM.
tbhausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 09:50 AM   #24
ManNantuck

I am curious as to your reference to the subnet. I tried specifying a range on my network, but there is no where to indicate the subnet mask. The router is not showing any connection from the Tivo. I guess I do not understand how this works exactly, but I figured that since it was going through the laptop into the router it would not have its own connection anyways. Are there any settings on a win 2000 maching that I might be missing that is preventing the Tivo from getting an internet connection?

I love the VOIP, but ironically it is the Tivo that is putting a damper on this!
ManNantuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:52 PM   #25
tbhausen

Just go to the command prompt and do an ipconfig. Whatever IP address your machine reports, use one in the same range. I wasn't thinking clearly and initially I was trying IP's in the range of my router's (out on the "real" internet, behind its NAT firewall). I went to whatsmyipaddress.com and, of course, that didn't do the trick (it reported the router's IP address). If your TiVo is conneted successfully, you'll see both your PC's NATted IP and the guest connection's NATted IP reported. I don't know how VoIP fits into all this because I don't use it. I'm pretty certain that's an entirely different subject alltogether.

Todd/Indy
Old 12-16-2004, 02:08 AM   #26
dadonnelly1961

Location: I live time-shifted at least 30 minutes into the past in Gilroy, CA aka 'Garlic City', "The Garlic Capitol of the World", & "...that place on 101 with that smell..."
Cool

It's been awhile since I used Win2K (I've been on XP for a long time now.) Anyway, I'm wondering (trying to remember...) is your PC set up to share your internet connection? I think it was a proprty of the connection in Win2k (it's a radio button option on the property sheet in XP.) Also, since your TiVo is logged on as an 'un-authorized user' or 'guest' then you might have to change the acl for your internet connection. In XP you have to have the security option set to 'allow unauthorized users to log on as Guests' and you have to have the Guest account enabled. And, you have to make sure that Guest has the ability to control the internet connection (because the TiVo is going to be specifying the URL and because you want the data stream to make it back to the TiVo.)
Just some thoughts...
dadonnelly1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 06:07 PM   #27
alnames

The one thing I found to make PPP work is that 2 IP addressess are needed. If you use DHCP the server and client IP address are the same and it doesn't work. When I specify 2 addresses everything works fine.
alnames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 07:42 PM   #28
tbhausen

That was the final hurdle for me, too. Once I specified a range of two IP addresses within the same range as the ones being assigned by my router's NAT, it's been perfect ever since.

Todd/Indy
Old 12-31-2004, 01:21 AM   #29
pwilkey4

All, thanks for sharing your knowledge. You have made me a very happy person.

I have a DTivo, Hughes DVR80, Netgear router, running XP on my PC. I have no landline phone; we only have cell phones at our house.

I did not want to hack the software on my box, and thanks to all of you, the seal is still intact.
I got the twenty foot TiVo Null Modem Serial Cable from the 9thtee.com, followed OTTO's serial PPP setup, but was still getting "Failed while negotiating." until I changed the incoming connection from DHCP to assigned IP's I used 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.110

Thanks again to all that took the time to share, -Perry
Old 01-07-2005, 03:43 PM   #30
KBrack

Question No Luck with PPP - Have a Question

I'm having no luck with PPP via Serial and need some help. I've been able to get TiVo to connect to the computer, but never get past the negotiating step. I've spent hours trying to get this to work and I'm out of ideas, but I do have some questions.

I built my cable myself, it seemed straightforward and I do get the ~ prompt and get connected. However my testing in HyperTerminal shows a different series of garbage than the one that was listed earlier in this thread:

quote:
~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}$}'}"}(}"P}^~~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}
$}'}"}(}"P}^~~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}$}'}"}(}"P}^~~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&}
} } } }%}&}$}'}"}(}"P}^~~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}$}'}"}(}"P}^~~ }#
!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}$}'}"}(}"P}^~~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}$}'}
"}(}"P}^~~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}$}'}"}(}"P}^~~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } }
} }%}&}$}'}"}(}"P}^~~ }#!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&}$}'}"}(}"P}^~

Should I look for this exact series of characters or are things OK since it begins with the ~ and gets the connection?

Also, in checking the number of bytes that the unauthenticated user item sends/receives, I get very different results between calls. Sometimes the number of packets are only around 400 for send/receive and sometimes they go over 5000. Is this normal? I usually have more data transmitted after I make a change to the IP addressing scheme. I've tried both DHCP and specifying a range starting with 192.168.

I hope that these questions might shed some light on why my connections consistently fail during the negotiating phase.

I have two DirecTV TiVos at home and both fail in the same manner. We have a standalone at work and I brought in the laptop and cable and it exhibited the exact same symptoms. I'd love to get this to work, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
KBrack is offline   Reply With Quote