TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-17-2004, 10:58 PM   #1
Inundated
Face For Radio

Joe Schmo - Post-Show Discussion Thread

It was suggested, and I was thinking about it...the farther we get away from the finale, the sillier it seems to talk about JS2 in the "Finale" thread.

So, here's our placeholder for whatever is left to talk about after the show... any news of a DVD or a JS3 (cross all those fingers!)...or anything else that appeals to Schmo-heads worldwide, here on the World HQ of Schmo-fandom!

Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 01:55 AM   #2
wendiness

Those ex-FORT posters here will take great delight in knowing the John is now using Ralph's photo when he posts. Sweet!
wendiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 02:23 AM   #3
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Originally posted by wendiness
Those ex-FORT posters here will take great delight in knowing the John is now using Ralph's photo when he posts. Sweet!
It's Ralph in full Derek getup, with the tagline next to the picture and John's name... "Your Pompous British Host".

Now, last year, I'd have said John could get away with that tagline - without "British" - all on his own!
Old 08-18-2004, 06:41 AM   #4
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Will somebody please give me a brief synopsis of the FORT drama. I wasn't around then and it gets referenced here from time to time. Was there bloodshed involved or just hurt feelings?
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:33 AM   #5
TIVOSciolist
Bye to High Society

"Thanks to 'Joe Schmo 2,' Walsh has another chance at writing for television. He has signed a contract with Spike TV to discuss both writing and performing with the network. Meanwhile, in Washington, people in the street are asking him for autographs. "

http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjo...lawaretom.html

Fan Request No. 23 to Spike TV: If it hasn't already been done, sign up Amanda and Ingrid ASAP for future Spike TV appearances (preferably together).

Tim's the guy the Spike TV crowd would like as a pal. However, as apparent by the number of posts about Ingrid and Amanda on the various boards, there is a great demand to see more of these two intelligent and intriguing women.
TIVOSciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:47 AM   #6
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Some numbers:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Aug17.html
Quote:
"Joe Schmo 2." As with Fox's "Joe Millionaire," sometimes the joke just doesn't work twice. A paltry 703,000 viewers watched the wrap of "JS2" last week; 3.4 million had tuned in to the final episode of the first edition.
Ouch!
Old 08-18-2004, 09:48 AM   #7
pmyers

yikes!!! that is horrible!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:07 AM   #8
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Oh, man, that BITES. Big time. Well, I can still hope for a DVD set.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:47 AM   #9
f44

Meanwhile,

why can't the other shows using who ever cast "Joe Schmo" and "The Mole" for Stone Stanley? All of its people cast are fun to watch, and most importantly, seem to go on the shows for the experience rather than to boost their acting career.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:57 AM   #10
drumorgan
a "dry" funny

I hate to admit it, but I still have 5 eps of JS2 on TiVo that I just can't bring myself to watch. For me, it just jumped the shark one day. I loved the first season, and was an active part of this thread for both shows. I thought the second season started out great and can't really pinpoint what made me lose interest. But, just being honest, I did. It seemed the more episodes that piled up on TiVo waiting for me to catch up, the harder it became to hit 'play'.

And, I love Stone Stanley productions, as some very good friends work there. I have not been let down by anything that has their name on it. Oh well. I'll try the next one.
drumorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:06 AM   #11
mrpayroll

Quote:
Originally posted by Fool Me Twice
Will somebody please give me a brief synopsis of the FORT drama. I wasn't around then and it gets referenced here from time to time. Was there bloodshed involved or just hurt feelings?
Well it started with muggum posting here and after awhile we all agreed he was the real thing. We then pointed him to The Fort, where there was one thread for the whole show. There wasn't a separate forum, but that original thread had over 5,000 posts by the end.

Well I started cross posting between the 2 forums, because sometimes muggum would post something at Tivo Community that he didn't at The Fort, that I thought the others would appreciate reading. And vice versa, he would post something at The Fort that people here didn't get to read, if they were not part of The Fort.

Well, John sent me a PM saying that I couldn't cross post messages from Tivo Community on The Fort and that he thought that the owners of Tivo Community wouldn't appreciate me cross posting The Fort messages here. Well no one ever cared over here. So I heeded his wishes, but I felt bad for the people over at The Fort.

We then had 3 or 4 of the cast members from Joe Schmo posting at both forums. But John rules his kingdom with a mighty hand and it rubbed some people the wrong way over there. Angie, Inundated, TIVOSciolist & wendiness (if I'm not mistaken), to name a few, didn't like his heavy handedness (sp??) and left there and exclusively posted here. Muggum also felt the same way and has only posted here for Joe Schmo II.

So there you have it, our little Joe Schmo drama!

Chris
mrpayroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:18 AM   #12
ruexp67

I never saw JS1, and had it not been for TiVo I would never have caught all of the JS2 episodes.

I don't understand how SpikeTV can show NO support for a show. Some might even argue that SpikeTV actually went out of their way to NOT support the show. And then complain that it got no ratings. Seems like a self-fufilling prophesy to me.

I have to say that I have not laughed so hard at any TV show, possibly ever. JS2 was absolutly histerical and I could not afford to miss a second of it. I am very into cars, all things cars. Some might call me a gear-head. That said, JS2 was moved up on my season pass list so that it would supercede 'Rides' and 'Overhaulin' and any other car show on Tuesday nights.

The characters and actors did a great job, but I really liked Tim, Amanda, and Ingrid as they were not the typical idiot reality show morons. They are real people who seem like they would be fun to hang out with, but more than that they would be able to have intelligent conversation.
ruexp67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:22 AM   #13
wendiness

Mr. Payroll is correct; John at the FORT got on my nerves, too. To add to the drama, John refused to give JSS its own forum on the grounds that it wasn't REALLY a reality show. He made it clear he didn't like the show one bit and was merely tolerating us. If I remember correctly, he even invited us to leave.

Well, finally, when JSS2 arrived, he actually WATCHED it. (Yes, his opinion had been based on, well, never having seen it.) Suddenly, he began posting comments like "pure genius!" and identified it as his favorite reality show. He actually took the time, I believe, to watch a DVD of JSS1. That's why his postings now including a photo of (Derek) Ralph, the Pompous British Host is so satisfying to those of us who lived the drama.
wendiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:28 AM   #14
pmyers

Well....the Fort's loss and our gain. Glad to have you guys here. Now just don't forget that we do discuss other things than JS
Old 08-18-2004, 12:09 PM   #15
pyhill
Stunned by Taser

I for one have discussed plenty of things besides JS but it really pisses me off that we keep hearing about poor ratings and such when the show aired at 11:00 at night on a channel that is not well known everywhere. Then "critics" try to give reasons other than the ones I just sited that it didn't do well when they probably didn't watch more than 20 minutes and are too dumb to understand the concept.

Until JS, I never even wrote on a TV message board!!! I don't watch much TV for that matter but I love this show. I think a lot of other people would have loved it too if 1.) they had known about it and 2.) it came on earlier. Spike really needs to rerun JS2 at a decent time with better advertising before biting the bullet on another run.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:28 PM   #16
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Well, John sent me a PM saying that I couldn't cross post messages from Tivo Community on The Fort and that he thought that the owners of Tivo Community wouldn't appreciate me cross posting The Fort messages here.
Um...that part might be a tiny bit my fault. I'll explain if you like. Although if I am a little to blame, it means John totally misinterpreted something I said. Which irritates me.

John's got a good forum, if you feel like playing by his rules. I don't knock it because there are many people who do enjoy it. But after I complained a lot about not being given the chance to do separate threads for each JS episode (and various other things related to other shows), I started getting some nasty responses and such from various higher-up members. So that's why I left.

I am sorely disappointed in the numbers for JS2. I think I'm losing all my faith in either networks or the television watching public. I'd say more, but I probably would start cursing and flailing about, and that's just not pretty.

Edited for a note: Muggum, Ralph, Amanda, Ingrid, Moviemoose, whomever else might be reading-please don't consider this a failure. I know it must be somewhat painful to have gotten lower ratings. But remember-to those few who did watch it, this show was a resounding success, and we most certainly understand why this project was something to be immensely proud of because we're just as proud of you guys' work on it as you are about the show. Don't know if that helps, and you probably already know it, but it never hurts to say it aloud (or in print.)

Last edited by YCantAngieRead : 08-18-2004 at 12:34 PM.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 12:47 PM   #17
TIVOSciolist
Bye to High Society

Quote:
Originally posted by Fool Me Twice
Each board has its own personality and rules. For example, Amanda was reprimanded on the Television Without Pity board last week because she ended one of her posts by signing it with her name. That's a big no-no there.

Some boards very strictly monitor each posting and will threaten anyone who might write something that is deemed off-topic or if (in the view of the moderator) there has been sufficient discussion on a particular sub-issue. FoRT was like that. The owner also made it very clear that the board was a dictatorship and that we were welcome to leave at any time.

You may notice that some of the Joe Schmo fans here, on occasion, go off on minor tangents (or as WHATISGOINGON?!? described in in the previous thread, engage in "ludicrous babblings"). I appreciate TiVo Community giving me the freedom to be a bit off-the-wall sometimes. That's the way I write.

TiVo Community's main rules that affect me are: (1) be nice and (2) your avatar, if you have one, must be a picture of you. I can live with these rules and I appreciate this board for being so welcoming.

The Internet has been a democratizing force. At the same time, it has allowed people lacking the means to put together their own army the ability to start their own virtual fiefdoms, establish their own laws, and set their own arbitrary standards for banishment. It has been a fascinating experiment because there is no cost to the participants to pull up roots and vote with their keyboards where they want to go.

I still visit the FoRT on occasion and am grateful for what it offers but prefer to post where the rules are more in line with how I prefer to live my life. (The Roman Empire also had strict rules but at least you were allowed to have blonde slaves from Gaul.)
Old 08-18-2004, 02:00 PM   #18
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

I wonder what the audience numbers are like for all those syndicated shows that air at 11 p.m. weeknights. I bet they can't be much higher than what JS2 got.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 02:04 PM   #19
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
TiVo Community's main rules that affect me are: (1) be nice and (2) your avatar, if you have one, must be a picture of you. I can live with these rules and I appreciate this board for being so welcoming.
And (3) Be careful about posting spoilers. Although, as I've mentioned, I think we've all tripped up on this one.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:07 PM   #20
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Originally posted by TIVOSciolist
Each board has its own personality and rules. For example, Amanda was reprimanded on the Television Without Pity board last week because she ended one of her posts by signing it with her name. That's a big no-no there.
At the risk of veering off into more "ludicrous babblings"...

What IS it with the TWoP board? I can't, for the life of me, get an account there. Their "standards" seem a bit anal, frankly. I can certainly understand TWoP's desire to filter out the kiddiehackerz and other elements of the like. But someone like me, an adult who can reasonably write in the English language, isn't able to even get on the board. I don't know what the magic formula is. Some have speculated that perhaps someone else has had my username there, and has misbehaved, but I can't get other usernames, either.

Anyway, I appreciate the TiVo Community Forum, and its graciousness in hosting our little group, even when there's no direct show to talk about. TCF has a large and popular "Happy Hour" section where just about everything is discussed, and basically nothing is "off topic" (well, except for controversial stuff), so they wouldn't really have a lot to stand on if they told us to scatter to the winds. And I'm a regular participant in other TCF areas, not just Happy Hour...so please save the "go find out all the other stuff this board has to offer" speech if you're directing it at me...

(For about the 80th time...yes, I'm a TiVo owner, no, I didn't come here specifically to talk about JS, yes, I explore other sections of TCF, no, I'm not a newbie...I should put this in my signature file or something )
Old 08-18-2004, 03:41 PM   #21
pmyers

yikes...inudated. I sure hope you and everybody else wasn't thinking I was bashing you guys when I said that we do discuss other things here so check them out. All I meant was that surely you guys are passionate about other shows and I would love to have your insights to them as well. I definately didn't mean to russel up any feathers.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:02 PM   #22
TIVOSciolist
Bye to High Society

Fan Request No. 28 to Spike TV: During Ingrid's last on-line chat, she made reference to Friedrich Nietzsche. Unfortunately, the typist misspelled the name (now corrected on the transcript) and made Ingrid look like, well, a (lower case) schmo. For any future on-line chats with Ingrid, we would request a typist conversant with 19th Century atheist Prussian philosophers.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:36 PM   #23
Supfreak26
Live Like Noone Else

Looks like the last of the Schmo blogs...

http://schmoblog.spiketv.com/
Old 08-18-2004, 06:13 PM   #24
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

I finally read the chat with Tim and Amanda.
Quote:
Mr__Schmo: This question if for Tim, We all know that you despised Bryce,or as you nicknamed him "Cruiser", so did you feel relieved when you found out it was all just a character? Or was there still something inside you that wanted to punch him?
SpikeTV Guest: Tim: After I found out he was an actor I did not want to punch him. I thought he did a great job acting. When he said he was an actor it was my final piece in figuring it out.
So, he figured it out...when they told him.

Nice job pal!

[For the record: I've been a big fan of Tim all along, but that's just funny!]
Old 08-18-2004, 06:41 PM   #25
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Originally posted by pmyers
yikes...inudated. I sure hope you and everybody else wasn't thinking I was bashing you guys when I said that we do discuss other things here so check them out. All I meant was that surely you guys are passionate about other shows and I would love to have your insights to them as well. I definately didn't mean to russel up any feathers.
No problem...we're a bit sensitive about that around here, as it seems once every few weeks or so, someone calls notice to us "camped out" in these JS threads

BTW, for what it's worth for my part, I've gotten into shows like "The Amazing Race" and "Monk", and you'll see me as a regular participant in those threads...along with some Happy Hour stuff, too.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:44 PM   #26
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Originally posted by Supfreak26
Looks like the last of the Schmo blogs...
Sigh. It looks like "Joe" in any form...is dead. I almost feel like holding a wake or something!

Rest assured, Muggum, that I'll be around here to start the opening thread on your new show next month.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:03 PM   #27
pyhill
Stunned by Taser

Quote:
Originally posted by pmyers
Not at all!!!!!! No bashing thoughts!!!!!

And No! I am not passionate enough about any other shows to post about them including JS1. JS2 is the only show I have ever posted about. I am pretty chatty in Happy Hour but this is the ONLY show on ANY site. This is only the second site that I have posted on (I lurk at many but quickly get bored) and the other site is sports dedicated. Don't get me wrong I liked JS1 but JS2 had me screeching with laughter. I am so pissed at Spikes nonpromotion of the show.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:40 PM   #28
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
But someone like me, an adult who can reasonably write in the English language, isn't able to even get on the board. I don't know what the magic formula is. Some have speculated that perhaps someone else has had my username there, and has misbehaved, but I can't get other usernames, either.
Don't worry-me too. I've been turned down a number of times. So it's not just you.

By the way, when I encouraged folks to venture out of the thread, I wasn't suggesting you leave this thread, by any means-and I don't think pmyers did, either. Viva La Schmo! My point, at least, was that I started out over here as a non-Tivo owner, and ventured forth into the other forums and found a great home on the internet. Plus, in the Now Playing section, we can use all the participants we can get on all types of shows-Tivo or not! Sometimes I think it's a little sparse in there. I'm pretty sure that's what we all meant when suggesting venturing out. Not to sound goofy and infomercial-ish, me looking around the rest of the website (all the while, still visiting the Schmo thread!) really kind of changed me when the members were so kind and generous to me.

I'm too sad to go read the Schmo Blog.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:42 PM   #29
RTOlson
Butter your bacon!

I know everyone's bummed that JS2 didn't do as well as everyone hoped. But sometimes these things are for the best. Muggum and everyone else will be able to move on and do more exciting and innovative things.

Also, somethings are best in small doses. I get more pleasure from a six-episode season of a BBC show than I would from a 26-episode season of most American sitcoms. In my opinion, the two series of Joe Schmo will stand apart from their reality counterparts.

One thing that's been bemoaned by many TV network is that realty programming can't be repeated often. I don't know if that's the case for JS, but I know that Schmo is a series that I would enjoy watching over and over again.

Although, I'm sure many of us will stay around the TCF, I want to say right now that it's been great speaking with everyone out there. Hopefully, there will be a little bit of that schmo spirit inside all of us as we move forward.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:11 PM   #30
Section426

Even if it was just to make the point of the big ratings drop from Season 1 to Season 2, it is insulting for the writer of the TV article referenced earlier in this thread to have mentioned JS and Joe Millionaire in the same sentence.

Muggum said that Joe Schmo has probably run its course. As long as he didn't say it has DEFINITELY run its course, then there is still some hope. Maybe the new all-reality channel that's supposedly coming out will need some original, high-quality programming.
Section426 is offline   Reply With Quote