TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series 1 - UK
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: What do you think of TiVo's user interface?
Only just got TiVo - Love the interface 11 4.17%
Only just got TiVo - The interface is OK 15 5.68%
Only just got TiVo - Don't like the interface 2 0.76%
Had TiVo ages - Still love the interface 86 32.58%
Had TiVo ages - The interface is OK 117 44.32%
Had TiVo ages - Loved it once, not as keen now 29 10.98%
Had TiVo ages - Never liked the interface 4 1.52%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 08-13-2004, 01:50 PM   #1
GarySargent

TiVo User Interface - Dated?

I just wondered what people thought of TiVo's user interface these days.

Personally I think its looking pretty dated now and in need of a complete overhaul.

For the purposes of the poll select one of the "Only just got TiVo" if you've had TiVo less than a year.
GarySargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 02:16 PM   #2
boyz

How about the option "Couldn't care less, I just use the thing"?
boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 05:10 PM   #3
mike0151
A Friend of Dot

I agree with boyz. That would have been my preferred answer. I always use the shortcut keys rather than menus when posible.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:52 PM   #4
cyril

Today's gui graphics are much more 'slick-looking' than TiVo, but in terms of useability it's still good.

I would rather have an OK looking interface than one that's hard to use or doesn't do what I want but looks good.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:02 PM   #5
Regor
part-timer

Had TiVo for two years now and still am happy with the interface as does the job well. But at the same time would be nice for a few tweaks here and there to bring up to date.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 06:07 PM   #6
Toothy
is not a TiVo fanboy

I've always thought the GUI was rubbish.

It seriously needs dragging into the 21st century...but as UK TiVo is dead as a dead thing.......it ain't gonna happen.

Waiting for a Hi-Def PVR..........
Toothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 06:12 PM   #7
digital_S

Never mind the TiVo interface, what about this forum's interface!! (Is nearly 4 years out of date.)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Voted: "Had TiVo ages - The interface is OK"

I'm the same as Regor. We do deserve long-overdue "tweeks"
F1 Fan? Click & signup! --->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<----
digital_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 06:25 PM   #8
cwaring
VM Tivo User

Quote:
Originally posted by digital_S
Never mind the TiVo interface, what about this forum's interface!! (Is nearly 4 years out of date.)
On that very subject, read this post. Ahh well

He said neither "no plans" nor "no current plans". Guess that's an actual "NO" then

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with the new

Get
- TV Guide for Windows

cwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 06:35 PM   #9
GoodSpike

I won't vote because I don't know what your interface looks like over there, but I'd never change an interface simply because it's "dated."

That type of thing gets you programs like Quicken 2004 (not sure you have Quicken over there either, but basically through an annual change in interface they've taken a program that was easy and intuitive and made it a mess.).
GoodSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:30 PM   #10
Toothy
is not a TiVo fanboy

If only TiVo had used AMIGAOS instead of Linux...we could have had an MUI (Magical User Interface) based GUI.

MUI is an object oriented system to create and maintain graphical user interfaces. It frees programmers from creating GUI's and allows users the freedom to create their very own unique interface...down to the very last pixel.

Imagine every single TiVo in the UK....with it's very own unique look...as designed by the individual user.

Waiting for a Hi-Def PVR..........

Last edited by Toothy : 08-13-2004 at 11:23 PM.
Toothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 09:07 PM   #11
David Bott

TC CLUB MEMBER
"Never mind the TiVo interface, what about this forum's interface!! (Is nearly 4 years out of date.)"

Actually not even close. The ver 3 of the software was released not long ago. It is so now...it is not even reported to be stable yet for larger sites like this. Bummner. But I am hopeful for ver 3.1.

Thanks
Old 08-14-2004, 01:59 AM   #12
cwaring
VM Tivo User

Quote:
Originally posted by David Bott
...it is not even reported to be stable yet for larger sites like this. Bummner. But I am hopeful for ver 3.1.
Seems stable enough over on DS. But you'd know better than I on that. I'm only a user

with the new

Get
- TV Guide for Windows

cwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 02:04 AM   #13
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

Personally I prefer the UI of this forum to that of DS.

What's the point of cluttering up a forum with fancy graphics? People come to forums for information - and the quicker it is to navigate/read the better.

I could put up with being able to change the colours though....
blindlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 02:09 AM   #14
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

As for the poll, it seems I voted with the crowd

Yes, a slicker, customisable UI for TiVo would be great - but the product is already so far ahead of the so-called competition in terms of functionality, that I'd put up with a green-screen command-line "UI" if that was all there was.
blindlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 03:54 AM   #15
roydonaldson

I've had my Tivo for a couple of years now and initially I was very impressed with the user friendlyness of the GUI. It is slick, easy to use by joe bloggs and his wife, and does exactly what it is meant to do.

I'd generally say that compared to other things out there today, it is pretty comparable and that is where the problem lies with it. When it first came out it was head and shoulders *better* than everything else. If you are speaking about a refresh of the GUI, then I would say yes, as today it should be refreshed to make it better than everything else out there.

Remember we all have Tivo's because they are so much better than other PVR's, not because it's just an ok interface/product.

On that point, is this a poll to actually get us a new interface ? or, just for interest ?

I'd like to be able to put all my West Wing episodes in a folder for instance.

Roy.
roydonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 04:24 AM   #16
Regor
part-timer

The best thing about the interface is that it's so easy to use. My mother has one and even she can use it!!
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 05:05 AM   #17
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally posted by cwaring
Seems stable enough over on DS
You must have missed the recent occasions / resulting threads when the style sheets kept on falling over.

As for the TiVo user interface, I reckon that as hard drives increase in capacity, its short comings will become increasingly apparent.

If you are going to use the TiVo to create your own television channel with a terabyte of stored programs, you need easy and flexible ways to retrieve programs from your 'Now Playing' list - for example, multiple ways to order the programs, much more flexible folders than currently exist (on the USA version only), ability to add to program descriptions, key word searching of recorded programs etc.

Unfortunately, it will be very difficult to add the above features and still retain the ease of use that marks the current interface.

I have also got to say that I quite like some of the EPG layouts used by other people that reduce the live picture to less than a quarter of the screen, rather than using the TiVo format of a full screen transparent overlay.
pgogborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 06:33 AM   #18
Stroller

I see no need to change the UI whatsoever. 'tarting it up' will just slow the device down and make it less user-friendly. It looks neat, clean and professional as is, and changing the look of the UI would be waaaaaaay down my list of priorities!
Stroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 06:48 AM   #19
iankb

I think that we are now used to very smart looking interfaces on a PC display, that make us feel that a TV display should be able to emulate. However, when you see a PC display transferred to a normal TV screen (no plasmas, thankyou!), the picture generally looks crap. Given the low resolution and small colour palette of a TiVo, I don't think it looks that bad. However, I do think they should have included an option for non-transparent EPG screens, and allowed for increased data on a widescreen TV.

Windows 7 MCE, 2 x Freeview Tuners, 1 x HD Freesat Tuner, 1TB Hard Drive, 1.5TB Mirrored Raid on e-SATA.
1 x Xbox360 MCE Extender.
1 x LinkSys DMA2100 Extender.
1 x Broken TiVo.
iankb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 07:42 AM   #20
6022tivo
A Happy Member

Try using Sky+ for a year, then you will just love the TiVo interface.

Media PC -> Xbox 360, DM800HD
Pioneer 505XDE (Still the best)
6022tivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:03 AM   #21
jeremy Parsons
Very Advanced Member

I have Windows MCE , My Dad has SKY$+ and I have Tivo , Tivo used to be irritating with Big disks , however the upgrade of my tivo's to Cachecard has resolved this and yes I agree its slightly dated now compared to MCE but not as much as you might think , MCE does allow a mini viewing window when working on other areas. However the interface is still better than most of the other DVR's and since those of us on cable have Tivo or Nothing I will take Tivo. In Terms of upgrades the Media Streaming is the area that I believe tivo really lags in the UK
All Lifetime , Cachecard + Tivoweb
jeremy Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:13 AM   #22
Andy Davies

It's OK but I find the sliding menu's annoying...
Andy Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:51 AM   #23
cyril

Quote:
Originally posted by pgogborn

As for the TiVo user interface, I reckon that as hard drives increase in capacity, its short comings will become increasingly apparent.

If you are going to use the TiVo to create your own television channel with a terabyte of stored programs, you need easy and flexible ways to retrieve programs from your 'Now Playing' list - for example, multiple ways to order the programs, much more flexible folders than currently exist (on the USA version only), ability to add to program descriptions, key word searching of recorded programs etc.
Well when I used to have 1.5 terabytes of stuff it wasn't too bad to find something as long as you recorded one channel per TiVo
Our current UK TiVos are limited to a measly 400gb per unit anyway.

TiVoweb helps a lot in organising and re-naming stuff.

Obviously US and Japanese Sony TiVos have got folders and sort facilities for a long time now, and when we get our Version 5 UK HDTiVo with terabytes of storage in 2009/2010/2011 a much slicker sophisticated UI is definitely needed, along with a search facility in Now Playing.

EDIT: each TiVo is limited to 800Gb now, with 1TB a possibility

Last edited by cyril : 04-22-2006 at 02:26 AM.
cyril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 06:16 AM   #24
manolan

A number of comments there that I think really hit the nail on the head.

The TiVo interface is very clear and consistent (although actually less so since 2.5 when they added so many more options). If only most computer programs could be as good.

Graphically it may look a bit last century, but that's only a small part of the story to me. You can have the prettiest interface in the world but it may not be the most usable.

I still think the TiVo GUI is one of the product's great strengths. Does that mean they should stand on their laurels? No, of course not. And there is a lot of sense in the comment about managing huge program archives (don't have one myself). But they shouldn't fiddle with it just because it looks a bit dated.
manolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:23 PM   #25
woody

Tivo's interace may be old, but it's a tried and tested one, that we all have got use to, and could probably navigate it blindfolded.

Even if Tivo wasn't a functional recorder, it makes the sky digibox useable.

As was mentioned above in a post about quicken, it's a nightmare when software firms make changes, it means spending ages trying to work out how to do something again.

I say leave it alone.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:38 PM   #26
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iankb
However, I do think they should have included an option for non-transparent EPG screens
Sounds like today's thread Why must the guide be accessed via live tv?, which got a response from TiVoOpsMgr.

TiVo

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:45 PM   #27
iankb

Oh goody. Another option that, if implemented, will make our old UK model even more outdated.

Windows 7 MCE, 2 x Freeview Tuners, 1 x HD Freesat Tuner, 1TB Hard Drive, 1.5TB Mirrored Raid on e-SATA.
1 x Xbox360 MCE Extender.
1 x LinkSys DMA2100 Extender.
1 x Broken TiVo.
iankb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:45 AM   #28
Tiny Clanger
Eater Of Pies

I would be happier with the TiVo interface if there was a faster CPU behind it. Granted, I have various hacks running, but three seconds between pressing TiVo and playback stopping is three seconds too long. Taking over ten seconds to show Now Playing is way too long, even if I do have 120Gb.

Sadly, I don't think you can realistically overclock a TiVo - and I don't think I'd want to take the risk, even if you could

(Would CacheCard help here? Not that I can afford to go buying anything at the moment, mind...)
Old 09-10-2004, 08:53 AM   #29
pahunt

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiny Clanger
(Would CacheCard help here? Not that I can afford to go buying anything at the moment, mind...)
Yes
Old 09-10-2004, 11:46 AM   #30
Heuer

This is all a bit like arguing which make of diesel to put in your car .

Is the GUI fit for purpose? If so why change it? And why does 'new' seem to imply it will be better?

It works so leave it alone. Ditto this site!