TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-03-2004, 01:30 PM   #1
cnjmorris

TiVo with On Demand.

For some reason my TiVo does not work with On Demand. When I go to a channel with On Demand features it shows the box up in right corner like usual, but doesn't show the menu on the rest of the screen to choose a show.

Any suggestions on getting it to work? On Demand works on other televisions in the house that do not have TiVo.
cnjmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:25 PM   #2
dirtypacman
Coming and going

I have found bypassing tivo and setting up a recording you can record ON-DEMAND shows.

What this means.. You need to have multiple connections to back of tv.
Myself example

Component 1 is tivo/dvd combo unit
Component 2 is direct feed from provider

I use component 2 to go to on-demand and choose what I would like to watch. I switch over to component 1 (does not matter what channel tivo is on--though you will get incorrect program information for the recording) and hit record--- You may need to adjust settings --time to record buffer to make sure you get complete recording.

This is the best way I have found this to work.
3) PIONEER #810H-S
4) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour

Comcast HD & Digital
home wired network (4) USB200M
dirtypacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:01 AM   #3
tolkienfan43

Getting Comcast On Demand to work with Tivo

Just set up my Tivo and On Demand (from Comcast) was not working. Spoke to a very knowledgable Tech Rep and confirmed config was fine. In short, ended cycling the power on the cable box and the Tivo unit at the same time. Simply unplug both units, leave off for 30 seconds and then plug them back on. Assuming your configuration is OK (I'm running my through the VCR) this did the trick. You must use your CABLE remote to access On Demand and there is a delay moving via screens, but it works now.
tolkienfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
stcroixkate

Cable Box & Tivo

I'm a bit confused. Do you have to have a cable box and Tivo to access On Demand? I currently am using my Tivo Series 3 with two cable cards only.

Thanks for any help!
stcroixkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcroixkate View Post
I'm a bit confused. Do you have to have a cable box and Tivo to access On Demand? I currently am using my Tivo Series 3 with two cable cards only.

Thanks for any help!
The OP was from 2004, it wasn't a series 3.

A Series 3 cannot control a cable box, so on demand won't work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
lpwcomp

Are you saying that a cablecard is not a full replacement for a cable box, that you can't use On Demand?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Are you saying that a cablecard is not a full replacement for a cable box, that you can't use On Demand?
Correct
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:12 PM   #8
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
CableCard 1.0 devices (which is what a series 3 is) cannot do on-demand, ppv, or any other 2 way service.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
klointheridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115 View Post
CableCard 1.0 devices (which is what a series 3 is) cannot do on-demand, ppv, or any other 2 way service.
is there a workaround so one can do both? maybe have a regular cable box for on demand stuff and use the tivo for everything else?
klointheridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:55 AM   #10
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by klointheridge View Post
is there a workaround so one can do both? maybe have a regular cable box for on demand stuff and use the tivo for everything else?
If using a Series 1 or 2 that is interconnected to a cable box (so it can record digital channels), simply use the cable box's own remote to order the PPV/VOD program, and hit the "record" button to prevent the TiVo from changing the channels unexpectedly.

If using a Series 3 or later, or an older TiVo that is not interconnected to a box (analog channels only), you will need to get a separate box from your cable provider specifically for PPV/VOD. Split the cable feed with one going to the cable box and the other going to the TiVo. Order PPV/VOD as if the TiVo wasn't there.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote