TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-16-2006, 06:41 PM   #31
JoeyImage

Anyone ???

http://www.joeyimage.com
JoeyImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:53 PM   #32
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyImage
The digits on the SA4200HD box change, but on-screen, there's no change.
Sounds like the Tivo isn't sending the enter key after a channel change and the cable box is expecting it ...

See:
http://customersupport.tivo.com/know...ic/tv1033.htm?

Step 3 (Satellite Box Enter Key screen) ... set this to yes. See if that works.

I dunno the 4200HD but ... there also might be a setting on the 4200HD so it makes a channel change without the enter key being sent.

So ... my guess is ... you need to either 1) tell tell the Tivo to send Enter after channel change or 2) tell the cable box to perform a channel change even if it doesn't receive Enter

Oh ... or it might be sending the wrong enter key. If the above doesn't work try one of the other Scientific Atlanta codes.
dt_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:05 PM   #33
JoeyImage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt_dc
Sounds like the Tivo isn't sending the enter key after a channel change and the cable box is expecting it ...

See:
http://customersupport.tivo.com/know...ic/tv1033.htm?

Step 3 (Satellite Box Enter Key screen) ... set this to yes. See if that works.

I dunno the 4200HD but ... there also might be a setting on the 4200HD so it makes a channel change without the enter key being sent.

So ... my guess is ... you need to either 1) tell tell the Tivo to send Enter after channel change or 2) tell the cable box to perform a channel change even if it doesn't receive Enter

Oh ... or it might be sending the wrong enter key. If the above doesn't work try one of the other Scientific Atlanta codes.

No dice. Like I said earlier, the TV and receiver have to be set to Input 1 in order to see my Tivo on-screen. However in order to see cable on-screen I have to have th TV set for Input Component. During the Tivo tests the channel changes fine, but I don't see it. However if I switch over to Component I notice that the channel has in fact changed. This is why I feel that the Tivo is now useless. I'm also not sure I'm really explaining my problem correctly.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:09 AM   #34
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
I'm also not sure I'm really explaining my problem correctly.
Ahh ... re-read your posts ... no, I think you're explaining yourself just fine ... I just didn't hear you very well.

How do you have the 4200HD hooked up to the Tivo? Composite? SVideo? RF (coax)? It sounds like the 4200HD isn't sending a video signal to the Tivo for some (or all) channels via the connection your using ... for some (or all) channels, it's only sending video via component ...
Old 03-17-2006, 01:48 PM   #35
JoeyImage

Quote:
Ahh ... re-read your posts ... no, I think you're explaining yourself just fine ... I just didn't hear you very well.

How do you have the 4200HD hooked up to the Tivo? Composite? SVideo? RF (coax)? It sounds like the 4200HD isn't sending a video signal to the Tivo for some (or all) channels via the connection your using ... for some (or all) channels, it's only sending video via component ...
My setp looks like this: cable coax from wall ---> Tivo ---> 4200HD. The composite cables are used to display HD channels. I have a Tivo, 4200HD and a surround sound receiver. The setup of the whole thing looks like this:

coax from wall ---> Tivo ---> 4200HD ---> surround sound.

That's where the coax's end. They're connected to INPUT on the surround sound receiver coming from the 4200HD, but I don't have a coax on the receivers output. Someone else mentioned a setup with a splitter right from the wall where one coax goes through all the machines like I have it, and the other either went to Tivo then directly to the TV, or just to the TV (I forget which exactly it was). Maybe this would help me as well?

Old 03-17-2006, 09:01 PM   #36
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
My setp looks like this: cable coax from wall ---> Tivo ---> 4200HD. The composite cables are used to display HD channels. I have a Tivo, 4200HD and a surround sound receiver. The setup of the whole thing looks like this:

coax from wall ---> Tivo ---> 4200HD ---> surround sound.

That's where the coax's end. They're connected to INPUT on the surround sound receiver coming from the 4200HD, but I don't have a coax on the receivers output. Someone else mentioned a setup with a splitter right from the wall where one coax goes through all the machines like I have it, and the other either went to Tivo then directly to the TV, or just to the TV (I forget which exactly it was). Maybe this would help me as well?
I may not be understanding what you are trying to accomplish, so let me know if I'm off base

It sounds like part of the problem is that you are feeding the TiVo multiple input signals. One from the coax, which I am assuming is the feed from the cable company, and the output from the 4200HD.

You have to choose which device you would like to use as a tuner, and then disconnect the cable feed to the other device. Keep in mind that you need to down convert the signal from the 4200HD, as the TiVo does not support HD. This can be accomplished using the 4200HD menus, and/or by using the composite outputs on the 4200HD.

Alternatively, you can use the TiVo and the 4200HD as independent devices, but the hookup would be different than described below.

Basically. it boils down to this:

1) Remove the cable feed going into the TiVo.

2) Run the coax cable feed to the 4200HD.

3) From the 4200HD, run composite or RF out to the TiVo.

4) From the TiVo, run composite cables to the receiver.

5) Connect the receiver to the TV.

6) Make sure the TiVo is setup to use the inputs that actually have cables hooked up to them.

7) Use the IR blaster as described in the instructions included with the TiVo.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:47 AM   #37
JoeyImage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS
I may not be understanding what you are trying to accomplish, so let me know if I'm off base

It sounds like part of the problem is that you are feeding the TiVo multiple input signals. One from the coax, which I am assuming is the feed from the cable company, and the output from the 4200HD.

You have to choose which device you would like to use as a tuner, and then disconnect the cable feed to the other device. Keep in mind that you need to down convert the signal from the 4200HD, as the TiVo does not support HD. This can be accomplished using the 4200HD menus, and/or by using the composite outputs on the 4200HD.

Alternatively, you can use the TiVo and the 4200HD as independent devices, but the hookup would be different than described below.

Basically. it boils down to this:

1) Remove the cable feed going into the TiVo.

2) Run the coax cable feed to the 4200HD.

3) From the 4200HD, run composite or RF out to the TiVo.

4) From the TiVo, run composite cables to the receiver.

5) Connect the receiver to the TV.

6) Make sure the TiVo is setup to use the inputs that actually have cables hooked up to them.

7) Use the IR blaster as described in the instructions included with the TiVo.
Ok, I'm gonna try that setup later on today. Also, one more question, I got a 64-inch HD TV yesterday that has its' own TV Guide grid, and its' own IR blasters..I'm probably not going to hook them up since they're only for the TV guide grid, but, if I did, would they interfere with Tivo's IR's, or are they 2 seperate frequency signals so I could, in essence, have both sets of IR's connected simultaneously and not have a problem?

Also, using your configuration setup, will I still see HD TV while watching live TV? I understand I won't see HD through the Tivo, but how can I accomplish this? I'd hate to have an HD cable box and TV, then not be able to watch HD programming actually IN hd.

Old 03-18-2006, 03:24 PM   #38
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Ok, I'm gonna try that setup later on today. Also, one more question, I got a 64-inch HD TV yesterday that has its' own TV Guide grid, and its' own IR blasters..I'm probably not going to hook them up since they're only for the TV guide grid, but, if I did, would they interfere with Tivo's IR's, or are they 2 seperate frequency signals so I could, in essence, have both sets of IR's connected simultaneously and not have a problem?

Also, using your configuration setup, will I still see HD TV while watching live TV? I understand I won't see HD through the Tivo, but how can I accomplish this? I'd hate to have an HD cable box and TV, then not be able to watch HD programming actually IN hd.
What cable provider do you have? You have to verify if the second set of outputs is active on the 4200HD. What brand and model receiver do you have?

You have to add another set of cables, out of the 4200HD, and use a second input on the receiver to view HD. . Then you can run component cables to the TV to view HD. The drawback to this is that whenever you change the channel to view live TV the TiVo will change too. If you are recording something, it will be a mess.

Separate devices is probably best, but that will limit what you can record on the TiVo. I'm running out the door now, and I won't be able to post back until late tonight or tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:29 PM   #39
JoeyImage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS
What cable provider do you have? You have to verify if the second set of outputs is active on the 4200HD. What brand and model receiver do you have?

You have to add another set of cables, out of the 4200HD, and use a second input on the receiver to view HD. . Then you can run component cables to the TV to view HD. The drawback to this is that whenever you change the channel to view live TV the TiVo will change too. If you are recording something, it will be a mess.

Separate devices is probably best, but that will limit what you can record on the TiVo. I'm running out the door now, and I won't be able to post back until late tonight or tomorrow.
Cablevision of New Jersey, the receiver is a GoVideo combo machine. I'm not sure of the model, I'd have to check when I get to my girlfriends' house (it's her stuff I'm trying to set up).

Old 03-19-2006, 01:10 AM   #40
JoeyImage

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=292078

Very happy!

Old 03-19-2006, 01:28 AM   #41
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Cool
Old 03-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #42
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Cool ... glad you got everything working.

One other thing I'd suggest (in case you haven't done it yet) ... if the 4200HD has an "Power: On With Channel Change" option ... set it. Rather usefull setting on the SciAtl boxes for Tivo users ... it'll turn the box on when it gets a channel change. So, it the power has gone off, or the box reboots for some reason, or for any reason turns off ... the Tivo will turn it back on by requesting a channel change and you won't miss any recordings.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:34 AM   #43
JoeyImage

Quote:
Cool ... glad you got everything working.

One other thing I'd suggest (in case you haven't done it yet) ... if the 4200HD has an "Power: On With Channel Change" option ... set it. Rather usefull setting on the SciAtl boxes for Tivo users ... it'll turn the box on when it gets a channel change. So, it the power has gone off, or the box reboots for some reason, or for any reason turns off ... the Tivo will turn it back on by requesting a channel change and you won't miss any recordings.
oh damn..lol..wish I knew that all along. My Tivo at home has missed countless recordings due to power outages. Thank you

Old 04-05-2006, 08:06 PM   #44
smstevens88

SA 8300 wont work

I've had no IR sucess with the 8300. Get a code that works for a day or so and then its gone and whatever software update that came along renders it inoperable.
smstevens88 is offline   Reply With Quote