TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2004, 12:20 PM   #31
patmcfar8

Thanks for the response... so it looks like we're screwed in the meantime eh?

That's too bad. I'm not too happy paying $12 a month for a handicapped system that I honestly don't even use. Which is a bit depressing, because I know I'd dig Tivo and use it daily.

Well if anyone finds ANY answers or work arounds or any new info... Please post it hear. I'd greatly appreciate it.
patmcfar8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 06:57 PM   #32
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patmcfar8
Thanks for the response... so it looks like we're screwed in the meantime eh?
I would have expected that by now some SIR-TS-360 owner would have taken the time to capture that the SIR-TS-360's IR codes (as mentioned in the links above, this can be done by anyone with a Palm PDA using the freely downloadable trial version of the OmniRemote Palm software, and it can also be done by anyone with a Pronto remote control) so that they can be converted into TiVo format and inserted into TiVo's database of IR codes…. I guess all the SIR-TS-360 owners have been waiting for someone else to do this and get the ball rolling.

Of course, getting the right IR code into TiVo is just the first step (but the most important one). In some rare cases, TiVo still cannot control a cable/satellite box reliably even with the right IR code.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 07:10 PM   #33
patmcfar8

I'd love to help out with that... but I don't have either a PDA or a Pronto. Silly Samsung. So do you think Samsung or Tivo is more likely to "step up" and try to come up with a resolution?
patmcfar8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 07:55 PM   #34
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patmcfar8
Silly Samsung. So do you think Samsung or Tivo is more likely to "step up" and try to come up with a resolution?
I get the impression Samsung's response is to get a replacement receiver to market since the SIR-TS-360 has been reported to have other, non-TiVo problems, too.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 12-03-2004, 04:54 PM   #35
tyrob

Well I made the switch to HD - DirecTV hooks up the Samsung and low and behold no data port that seems to work. Arrghhh! I tried my old RS232 from my Sony A2 and nothing. And reading this thread made me think I was stepping back in time. What's the deal! My IR seems to work ok but I don't trust IR because I've been burned before and if I lose one of my favorite shows I'm going to throw the thing out the window. I would try the RF cable thing posted in the Hughes GAEB0 thread but after reading that it doesn't seem to work for Series 2 and I have the SVR3000. I was the guinea pig for the Sony A65 and found the correct cable for that so I am willing to do some homework to see if I can do the same for this unit. Any ideas?? Anybody know if DirecTV sells any other HD recievers that work with SA Tivos via data port? Maybe I call back and switch. Otherwise I'll hook up my old receiver and pay the extra $5 a month just so I can have a reliable unit.

I knew I should of bought the HR10250.

Thanks for any input.
tyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 05:56 PM   #36
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tyrob
I would try the RF cable thing posted in the Hughes GAEB0 thread but after reading that it doesn't seem to work for Series 2 and I have the SVR3000.
As far as I know, the GAEB0 RF cable works fine with Series2.
Quote:
Anybody know if DirecTV sells any other HD recievers that work with SA Tivos via data port?
The compatibility list includes several entries for DirecTV HD receivers that work with TiVo.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 12-04-2004, 01:35 AM   #37
tyrob

ccwf - what do you base that on? I do not see one post in that thread that it works with a series 2. I guess it wouldn't cost much to try but I don't want to waste money if it has already been tried. I read several posts back about capturing the IR codes. Wasn't this already done (post #25 in this thread). I don't have a Pronto nor a Palm but I could probably find one if this would help out.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2004, 05:02 AM   #38
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
ccwf - what do you base that on? I do not see one post in that thread that it works with a series 2.
The only known difference between in cable/satellite box compatibility between Series2 and non-Series2 is with the General Instrument DPV/DPB7xxx cable boxes. So, one of the following should be true:
  • it should work with Series2, too;
  • or else the initial success report was bogus, and it doesn't really work with non-Series2, either.
Quote:
I read several posts back about capturing the IR codes. Wasn't this already done (post #25 in this thread).
You're right. My mistake.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 12-05-2004, 10:24 AM   #39
tyrob

No luck on the IR --> RF attempt. I tried just the 6ft cable and no luck and then trimmed it down to 1 ft and the Samsung didn't even blink. Darn!

I know 10068/10069 were supposed to be learned from the Samsung TS360 remote but 10069 really does not function correctly when any of the channels have two of the same numbers together. And 10068 does not have 'enter' correctly mapped. Anyway that this can be fixed?

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:52 AM   #40
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
And 10068 does not have 'enter' correctly mapped. Anyway that this can be fixed?
If someone can do fresh captures of the Enter IR sequence, we can convert that to TiVo format and send them to TiVo. See Gary Sargent's page on capturing IR codes for TiVo. The page is focused on UK TiVo owners, but Gary and TiVo have also worked with captured codes for U.S. owners.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 12-15-2004, 08:59 PM   #41
ralberts

I have captured codes for the SIR-TS360

I have captured the codes for the SIR-TS360 using OmniRemote. I have the OmniRemote.PDB file. Where can I send it or what tools do I need to convert it?
ralberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 02:44 PM   #42
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: I have captured codes for the SIR-TS360

Quote:
Originally posted by ralberts
I have captured the codes for the SIR-TS360 using OmniRemote. I have the OmniRemote.PDB file. Where can I send it or what tools do I need to convert it?
Gary has a conversion page at the link in the preceding post.

However, I spoke with TiVo this morning about the SIR-TS-360 and was told to emphasize two points they had previously sent me for the compatibility list:
  • It's known to be very important that you choose Enter Key: Yes for the SIR-TS-360.
  • The receiver's "IR only" vs "IR & RF" setting might also matter.
Please double-check those settings.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 12-16-2004, 04:53 PM   #43
tyrob

Double checked on my box and IR only is set and Enter key is Yes. Still have problems with 10068 in regards to the Enter key. It appears Enter works fine for 10069 - could we map that code to 10068 as well?

ralberts - thanks for capturing! Hopefully this can be updated. Are you seeing the same problems?

Thanks,

Tyler
Old 12-20-2004, 11:18 AM   #44
tyrob

ccwf - since I verified the recommended settings from Tivo and the enter button is still incorrect can we proceed with a fix? Either the enter from 10069 or ralberts new capture.

Appreciate any feedback.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:22 PM   #45
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
ccwf - since I verified the recommended settings from Tivo and the enter button is still incorrect can we proceed with a fix? Either the enter from 10069 or ralberts new capture.
I can request that TiVo check the 10068 enter code. But before I do that, are you sure the 10069 enter code does work for you?

TiVo

中日韓
Old 12-21-2004, 10:05 AM   #46
tyrob

Just tested 10069 again and the enter button works fine. Its just that the 10069 code is not as reliable as 10068 in regards to the actual channel numbers.

Thanks and please let me know what happens.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:04 PM   #47
ccwf
国際化 Member

I've corresponded with TiVo on this issue. Here's what's going on.
  • The 10068 code is a straight capture and is indeed more reliable. However, it contains a lot of repeats and is so long that not all of the IR codes could be included. Thus, the Enter key was left out as being not absolutely essential.
  • The 10069 code is a shortened version of the 10068 code with enough repeats taken out that the Enter key could be added. Without as many repeats within the IR sequences for the digits, this code is less reliable.
So, I would suggest trying to see if you can get 10069 to work by carefully lining up the IR emitter with the receiver's IR sensor and by building an IR tent to cut out any interference. Sticking the IR emitter directly over the IR receiver and a stick-on style IR emitter might be worth trying. (Worthington Distributors sells stick-on style IR emitters many TiVo owners like.)

Please let me know whether or not any of those steps help with 10069 reliability. If the 10069 code cannot be made reliable enough, then I am afraid you are stuck with using the slow 10068 code.

Again, for Samsung SIR-TS-360 owners stumbling across this post, you must choose Yes for the Enter Key setting, and the IR only vs. IR & RF receiver setting might also be important.

TiVo

中日韓

Last edited by ccwf : 12-22-2004 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:42 AM   #48
Boston Dawg

Tivo and Samsung SIR-TS360

I too am wicked disappointed that the RS232 port on the back of the Samsung Direct TV receiver can not be used for changing channels. It's one of the features I was looking for when I bought the unit. I was upgrading from a Hughes receiver which DID allow channel changing through the serial port on back.

I have been forced to resort to using the IR cable. It took me quite awhile to find the right code and speed but I got it to work flawlessly.

I use the code 10068 and set it to MEDIUM speed. I also answered YES when it asked if ENTER needed to be pressed after the channel numbers were entered.

The fast speed does not work. It often misses one number and it does not change the channel correctly.

This is a pain in the ass. Here we have a receiver with some great features and something basic like this is overlooked or ignored by one or both companies.

I am hoping that enough people bitch about this and one or both of these companies will come up with a solution since both of these machines are software upgradable.
Boston Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:08 PM   #49
videog

I am very late to this party, but wonder if anyone ever got the crestron rs-232 port codes. I just bought one of these things on ebay, and landed here trying to figure out how to control it

I got this parital info from another forum, but never saw the completed answer:
There are 49 commands. Each command appears to be made up of 7 hex
words with only the fifth word being different (0x30 through 0x60).
Here are examples of the on and off commands:

On 2A647476490D0A
Off 2A6474764A0D0A

Just looking at these make me think that the Creston is simply sending
these strings to the TS360 to control it.

The file also shows that the serial interface is configured for
57600,8,N,1.

Does anyone have any more?
videog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:55 PM   #50
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videog
I am very late to this party, but wonder if anyone ever got the crestron rs-232 port codes. I just bought one of these things on ebay, and landed here trying to figure out how to control it
[]
Does anyone have any more?
The latest info I have is in the compatibility list. For more info on the Crestron possibility, try the AVS Forum topic linked there.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 04-14-2006, 11:56 AM   #51
mikemb

I got lost in this thread, was anyone ever successfull interfacing tivo to the sir-ts360 via the serial connection? Tivo does make it difficult as they do not allow changing the config for the samsung from MPG to APG which is what this unit uses
mikemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:51 PM   #52
mikemb

Did you ever uncover the process for controlling the ts360 via the serial port?
mikemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:54 PM   #53
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

We haven't done any extra work around serial control for this model.

If you wish to change control manually, go thru the serial tests again. The first 2 need to fail. If they don't, try disconnecting the cable during this portion. You can then choose "Manually select serial control". I don't think there will be any change, but let us know if there is.

TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote