TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-02-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
dnaman

HDR112 and component video?

I have a Philips HDR112 series-1 TiVo which has composite-video/audio outputs (in fact it appears to have duplicate composite-video/audio ... don't know why) as well as s-video.

The only available input I have on the TV is component video.

I seem to recall reading or hearing somewhere that I could connect the composite-video output to the component-video input by using only the latter's Y-input and connecting the audio L & R as usual.

Can anyone confirm whether this will work?
dnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
NoCleverUsername

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaman
I have a Philips HDR112 series-1 TiVo which has composite-video/audio outputs (in fact it appears to have duplicate composite-video/audio ... don't know why) as well as s-video.
It was to allow your TiVo to output to a TV and VCR (for the Save to VCR function) at the same time.

Quote:
The only available input I have on the TV is component video.

I seem to recall reading or hearing somewhere that I could connect the composite-video output to the component-video input by using only the latter's Y-input and connecting the audio L & R as usual.

Can anyone confirm whether this will work?
Don't really know for sure on this (I don't have a TV with component inputs ) but my guess would be that it won't work based on stuff I've read on how component video works vs. composite.
NoCleverUsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:25 AM   #3
mr.unnatural

Are you saying that you only have a component video input on your TV or it's the only one currently available and the other inputs are already spoken for? If the latter is the case then you should consider getting an outboard switcher to accommodate more devices.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
dnaman

Component Video is the only input I have available. There is a composite (or S) video input which is currently used (vcr). There is also another composite video input but it's a front-panel connection and using that would mean a rather unsightly cable bundle crossing the front of the TV (not to mention a long cable run in my arrangement). My least desirable option.

Use of the Component Video input as a dual-purpose input may be a function specific to this TV. The TV setup menu allows you to "turn off" component-video for this input which seems pointless unless it also means you can use the input for something else (just turning off an input does no more than simply not making a connection to it). Plus, I'm sure I've seen a reference to using a Component-Video input in this fashion either in general or for this TV model. Trouble is I can't figure out where I saw it.

NoCleverUsername - thanks for the info re the two sets of (composite) video outputs on the TiVo. makes sense now.

Last edited by dnaman : 07-03-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:17 PM   #5
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

I don't think you can feed a composite video input into the component video input on your TV and produce correct video. But you won't damage anything by trying it.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
mick66
Dirty Burger

Quote:
Component Video is the only input I have available. There is a composite (or S) video input which is currently used (vcr). There is also another composite video input but it's a front-panel connection and using that would mean a rather unsightly cable bundle crossing the front of the TV (not to mention a long cable run in my arrangement). My least desirable option.
You may want to look into an A/V switch like the one below. There are also models out there that can be switched from one source to another by remote.

mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:42 PM   #7
dnaman

Just to put this to bed, I tried this and it does work on this TV because the input can be set by menu to work either as component-video or composite-video. It just isn't very clearly explained in the manual (although I picked up on this from somewhere).

It works fine with the composite-video from the TiVo when set up for that; if I then change the setting to component-video I get a weak B&W picture which suggests that the typical component-video input will *not* normally accept composite-video ... only when it is specifically designed to, as in the case of this TV (and perhaps some others) .
Old 07-05-2006, 07:07 PM   #8
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Quote:
Just to put this to bed, I tried this and it does work on this TV because the input can be set by menu to work either as component-video or composite-video. It just isn't very clearly explained in the manual (although I picked up on this from somewhere).

It works fine with the composite-video from the TiVo when set up for that; if I then change the setting to component-video I get a weak B&W picture which suggests that the typical component-video input will *not* normally accept composite-video ... only when it is specifically designed to, as in the case of this TV (and perhaps some others) .
Y input expects the luminance component of the video (brightness), and the other two, U/V, or the derived Cb/Pb and Cr/Pr inputs are for chrominance components (color). If you set it to Component, the TV is only getting the balck/white part of the video.
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote