TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-03-2006, 11:57 PM   #1
rabbler

series 1 tivo in canada

Is there a way to get proper guide data for a series 1 tivo.
I have a local tivo access number so it seems logical tivo would have the local tv stations. I called tivo cust support they said not for series one. I have seen the info to setup a series 2 Tivo. Does anyone know how to input a Canadian postal code instead of a zip code? I assume thats the problem.

thanks all.
rabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:44 AM   #2
Andrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbler
Is there a way to get proper guide data for a series 1 tivo.
I have a local tivo access number so it seems logical tivo would have the local tv stations. I called tivo cust support they said not for series one. I have seen the info to setup a series 2 Tivo. Does anyone know how to input a Canadian postal code instead of a zip code? I assume thats the problem.

thanks all.
There is a way but very involving requiring some computer/Linux knowledge. Basically you need to input the Postal Code in the MFS or installng a program by pulling the Tivo drive out and using your PC to do it(Sorry I don't remember the details but are available at www.TivoCanada.com). Better suggestion is to get a Series 2 and it will provide way more features and are supported by Tivo for use in Canada.

Good Luck!
Andrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:04 AM   #3
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
As I understand it, TiVo is no longer updating the software on series 1 machines, so any changes like including Canadian areas as options may not be available (except maybe to people who, as mentioned above, are computer saavy).
Old 07-04-2006, 05:05 AM   #4
tzepau

Just for reference, thread #282075 (sorry, can't post URLs yet - look up top and replace the showthread.php?t=306257 with showthread.php?t=282075) describes how to do this. I know I'll probably be doing this soon, assuming my eBay TiVo doesn't magically get lost in transit. (I don't trust Canada Post. Had a package end up with a whole bunch of "Okay to return to sender" stickers on it without them actually showing up at my house a single time.)
tzepau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:16 PM   #5
rabbler

Thanks

Was hoping for an easier solution but whatever it takes.
Guess I'll have to read up on the modifications. I'm certainly not afraid to take it apart.
rabbler is offline   Reply With Quote