TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #1
joker9989

Help!!!

First problem: I'm a little bit upset that my Tivo used 3:27 to make a phone call to Tivo (this is 207 of my only 500 minutes a month through Vonage). I honestly have no clue why this is the case nor what can I do about it. Perhaps this was to download a system upgrade, which leads me to my second problem.

I bought a USB ethernet adapter from Linksys and it's not one of the excluded models from version 7.2.2, however it requires version 7.2.2 in order to use it. I sent in a request for the upgrade via Tivo's website and a few days later, I received the update for 7.2.1 (from 7.2.0) which is nice, but not what I need. Why did this happen? Why is it that I had to burn time on this (perhaps this is my 207 minute phone call from before)? Why is it that I will have to burn more time on this for the next update which is the one I wanted in the first place? Do you think there's a chance I can get Tivo to reimburse me for my lost minutes seing how I'm going to have to go over my bill as a result (note, that this is one of the reasons I want to switch to a wired ethernet adapter- so I wouldn't have to use my minutes).

Any help towards either of these issues would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by joker9989 : 03-20-2006 at 01:56 PM.
joker9989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:57 PM   #2
hitbyatrain
Your Hero

Do a search on these board to find a PLETHORA of threads about getting TiVo to work with Vonage. People have had varying levels of success. Most people at first report problems with dropped and missed connections.

Have you tried using the adapter yet, just for kicks?

And no, I really doubt TiVo will reimburse you for any of your minutes. Sorry dude.
hitbyatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #3
dgh

VoIP systems are pretty bad for modems. Frequently they drop the call sometime in the middle so you're doing pretty well if the phone call basically works, albeit slowly. (Slowing down is a reaction to poor phone lines that is programmed into every modem.)
dgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
joker9989

Truth is, every other call worked just fine - it takes a while until it actually connects (maybe 30 seconds) but after that, everything works just fine. As for the adapter, if you mean the USB ethernet adapter, yeah I've tried it, but the Tivo basically says that it's not a supported adapter. Looking at the Tivo website, it is, it just needs a 7.2.2 upgrade.

Perhaps anyone has an idea of how I can push for the upgrade to actually upgrade 7.2.2 instead of 7.2.1 ?
joker9989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:33 PM   #5
hitbyatrain
Your Hero

Check this thread for the priority update signup list: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=290484
hitbyatrain is offline   Reply With Quote