TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-17-2006, 10:37 AM   #1
visionary
HAVE BRAIN WILL USE!

Black Logo on DISH net in mornings ?

Starting about a month ago my DISH network 311 receiver (the simple one, no HD, only have a dish 500 without locals) would sometimes display a black screen with a floating DISH logo on it with "Push select to continue" under it in the morning. Problem is then the S1 TIVO goes to change its channel to record something and it fails to change channel, it does wake it up and the logo screen goes away but I am still on whatever channel it was on last night. My recordings then are wrong program. I stayed up and saw at 3am a message that the receiver is about to do maintenance, then this black screen came on at 3:15am. I assume this is to allow software downloads to the receiver? Problem is, why do we need this now when we never did before, and why doesn't it ever end when the update is done? Why so often? It has become more frequent now but is still not every night, just most. Anyone have this happening to them or do I have a receiver problem? I set the Tivo to manual record 5 minutes at 6:30am to wake it up and this works to prevent loss of recordings (especially when out of town!) and wanted to know if others have this happening?
visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
matt11

The inactivity screensaver can be turned off on the 311, go here for how to do so.
matt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
visionary
HAVE BRAIN WILL USE!

Thanks, I did go change it and will see what happens. However, it goes days before this happens and always at 3am, is not a 4 hour inactivity at all. Apparently unchecked, bad software if that is it. I don't get why they or anyone else would even want this either.
visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
matt11

You're welcome. It's been four days since I disabled it, and I haven't had a problem yet. If I do end up having an issue with it, I'll just set the dish receiver to auto-tune to a program in the early morning. That apparently works for people using Tivos with the 322.
matt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
MtBiker

I, too, encountered this problem and called Dish. The Dish guy said it allows for software/programming updates to take place. So how did they do the updates before they implemented this new "inactivity power off mode"? Because I use TiVo, I don't care about the programming updates but would like my receiver to stay current with software updates which I imagine are quite infrequent at best. If I deactivate it, will I still receive the updates via the original method or will I need to manually shut it down overnight once a week or so? Unless anyone else has the answers already, I'll call Dish at my earliest opportunity and report my findings.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote