I have comcast digital cable in three rooms of my house, a wifi connection and a PC with DVD burner. I am in the Washington, DC area, but don't have the new DVR box yet.
I want to subscribe to shows using the season pass, particularly daily kids shows for the kids, and also subscribe to individual actors to catch all their appearances. I want to have a library of instant material for the kids, but I will also want to drop some things offline to DVD-R.
I cannot afford the series 3 box nor do I have HDTV currently.
I am looking at the Tivo 180 hr series 2 DT at $169 with the $300 3 year subscription.
Here is my issue:
1. The Comcast DVR got a bad rating compared to Tivo from different people I know. They said that Tivo has better software. The Comcast DVR would be an additional $6 per month on top of what I'm paying.
2. There seems to be no word on when comcast and tivo will release their new product.
3. I would like to get a DVD-burning tivo, but the ratings for the Humax ones are low as well, and a friend had one and said the DVD burner blew out after about 20 discs. I could not find the highest-rated Tivo DVD-recorder
4. I cannot tell, based on questions of DMCA and other regs, how easy it would be for me to store some programs offline on DVDs using TivoToGo? Presuming I'm taping my kids' favorite shows, can I just burn a .tivo file using Nero?
5. Does the series 2 dvd connect into wifi easily using WEP encryption? Do I need an external wifi "station" connected to the ethernet port? If I have an 802.11b connection, is there a known speed issue?
I've gotten conflicting answers to the above and have searched the archives. Anyone care to take on these multiple questions?