TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-15-2005, 11:07 AM   #961
HDLouco

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytivoer
DirecTV just came to upgrade my satellite dish to an oval, Triple LNB dish so that I can receive HD channels. The installer couldn't get access to all three satellites coming out of the multi-switch so he said that I must have a bad multi-switch. I have a 4X8 multi-switch. Your article seems to imply that I should have 4 cables coming from the satellite dish. However, i only have two. Did the installer do something wrong? My multi-switch as well as your article seem to indicate that I should have four cables going into the multi-switch.
It is my understanding that you need four cables: 2 to transfer the horizontal and the vertical outputs of the 101 sat and 2 to transfer the horizontal and the vertical oucputs of the combined pair of sats at 110 and 119 degrees. The switch will then be able to select any polarity of any sat independently by each one of (up to) 8 Directv receivers. You should call Directv and ask for comfirmation of what I just said here, but I think I am right. Good luck to you!
HDLouco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:08 AM   #962
Tom in OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytivoer
DirecTV just came to upgrade my satellite dish to an oval, Triple LNB dish so that I can receive HD channels. The installer couldn't get access to all three satellites coming out of the multi-switch so he said that I must have a bad multi-switch. I have a 4X8 multi-switch. Your article seems to imply that I should have 4 cables coming from the satellite dish. However, i only have two. Did the installer do something wrong? My multi-switch as well as your article seem to indicate that I should have four cables going into the multi-switch.
You're right, all 4 cables from the dish are needed for the multiswitch to give all 8 outputs access to each LNB.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:04 AM   #963
kcmurphy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sda3
Right now i have a dsr-704 d*tivo and a set top d* reciever. I have a samsung sir-ts360 and i use it to input my tivo, and my dvd player, then it goes to the tv via DVI. The question i have is, I don't have enough component imputs on my TV for my tivo, dvd, and my game systems. Does the HR10-250 have a component input that i can use to plug my DVD player into and use it to upconvert like the set top box does? and does the hr10-250 have a DVI out?
I had this problem and got an A/V system amp with component switching. Denon has a nice line which also converts 480I S-video and composite to 480I component output. So you just need the one component input to the TV as long as it can handle input signals switching between 1080i, 480p and 480i.

Then again, DVI switching would be nice.
kcmurphy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:24 AM   #964
Iceblade
Hockey is my Life

Feldon,

We need to update the section about what HDTV is available to remove the NHL reference on ESPN-HD as they opted not to pick up the contract this year and lost out to Comcast for the next 2-3 years. Comcast will be carrying games on the OLN network and it remains to be seen if/when they will carry anything on OLN-HD.

Regs,
Jeff
Iceblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 05:40 PM   #965
J004

Question HD cable Possible?

I have a Toshiba RS tx20 DVR DVD and a TIVO series 2 80 hours box and get cable via COX. I wanted to get an HD TV but was confused and concerned that if I run the signal through either TIVO DVR I will not get a HD TV signal to the TV and thus not be able to enjoy the HD quality. Or if I watch a program recorded on hte DVR it will not be HD quality.

My Qs: Does the TIVO DVR effect the HD signal if I want to use TIVO inline to the HD TV?

What are my options, and do you have any suggestions? ( Don't want to go to DIRECT TV)

If there is no solution and cannot get HD via TIVO/Cable when does one think they (TIVO)will have a solution to this problem?

Thanks.
J004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:19 AM   #966
lenbo1

Ota ?

How do you tune in a OTA channel with the remote ie... 5-1, 15-1 how do you put in the " - " ? Thanks
lenbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:40 AM   #967
Tom in OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenbo1
How do you tune in a OTA channel with the remote ie... 5-1, 15-1 how do you put in the " - " ? Thanks
...just to the right of the "slow" button(same as " ->I "
Old 08-27-2005, 10:11 PM   #968
bvd1965

Question

I just bought one and am having problems with it, when I use either a universal remote or the remote that came with it, sometimes it wont accept my commands but 15-30 minutes later it starts doing commands from nowhere, i just had the box replaced and it is doing the same thing, anyone else have this problem?

B
bvd1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:45 PM   #969
Tungsten

Hi-

I wonder if it would be possible to update the FAQ at the beginning with "no standalone" to reflect the news of the cable card version from the beginning of the year? There's a press release on the TiVo site (that I can't seem to link to since I'm a newb) from Jan of this year.

Not much news on that front lately, I know, but it is the most current that I'm aware of.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:13 PM   #970
nyrangers017

I have a hd-tivo, but can't pick up all the locals on my antenna. If I subscribe to basic cable svc and run it through the TIVO will it pick up the HD local feeds? Everyone I've spoken to at the cable company and Direct Tv seem to think it will work- has anyone in here tried it?
nyrangers017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:52 AM   #971
maharg18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers017
I have a hd-tivo, but can't pick up all the locals on my antenna. If I subscribe to basic cable svc and run it through the TIVO will it pick up the HD local feeds? Everyone I've spoken to at the cable company and Direct Tv seem to think it will work- has anyone in here tried it?

Unfortunately that won't work.. The HD Tivo has an ATSC receiver for over-the-air HD signals. Cable uses QAM modulation to deliver HD signals.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:56 AM   #972
nyrangers017

Had a feeling- thanks for the response! Do you recommend any OTA antennas?
nyrangers017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:38 PM   #973
Ragsy

Did you check for outside interference causing the remote to behave badly. Since both boxes are doing the same thing maybe something is interfering with the remote signal. A cell phone or similar object can interfere with the remote signal if it is in the same area.
Ragsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:37 PM   #974
vernsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers017
Had a feeling- thanks for the response! Do you recommend any OTA antennas?
I have winegard squareshooter hi band for my local HD channels. I'm about 30 miles northwest of Chicago and the digital reception is great except for some reason, I don't get CBS in HD.
vernsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 12:05 PM   #975
Hootydog

I'm sure it's in here somewhere but...
How do I turn off the devise with a remote? It's in my master bedroom, makes a lot of noise and would be difficult to hide/enclose in a cabinet or closet without significant wiring hassell and uglyness.

Can't I fully power down when going to sleep (from my bed) and force it to download updates during the day?

Chappy
Hootydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 12:55 PM   #976
Tom in OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootydog
I'm sure it's in here somewhere but...
How do I turn off the devise with a remote? It's in my master bedroom, makes a lot of noise and would be difficult to hide/enclose in a cabinet or closet without significant wiring hassell and uglyness.

Can't I fully power down when going to sleep (from my bed) and force it to download updates during the day?

Chappy
It has a standby mode but I've never used it. After pushing the D* button, standy's at the bottom of the list.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:32 PM   #977
DaveWhittle

Quote:
Nope, sorry. Think of Tivo like a refrigerator... it's always "on" even when you aren't using it.

-dw
DaveWhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:05 PM   #978
Hootydog

Red face

Dave and Tom,
Obviously yours were not the answers I was hoping for. I will try the standby mode option however I gather it's safe to assume that the (noise making) fan continues to run.

We'll see

PS So if it's like a refrigerator can I at least keep my beer cold with it?
Old 09-21-2005, 09:40 AM   #979
opie

Just got my HDTV DirecTiVo. Happy so far. Couple questions:

1) My OTA and SAT picture is fine, but when I test my OTA signal I get 0. Is that normal?
2) Is there anyway to make my channel up/channel down not hit the satellite versions of my local channels anymore? I see how I can take them out of my favorites, but I would like to not have them come up at all.
3) Does the TiVo menu graphics at the top get jumpy when changing screens?
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:44 AM   #980
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie
Just got my HDTV DirecTiVo. Happy so far. Couple questions:

1) My OTA and SAT picture is fine, but when I test my OTA signal I get 0. Is that normal?
You have to tune to a channel you get, IIRC, to see the signal strength for it.

Quote:
2) Is there anyway to make my channel up/channel down not hit the satellite versions of my local channels anymore? I see how I can take them out of my favorites, but I would like to not have them come up at all.
You can take them out of the Channels You Recieve list but there is no simple toggle.

Quote:
3) Does the TiVo menu graphics at the top get jumpy when changing screens?
Yes, I've seen that too. Not to big a deal.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:53 AM   #981
opie

Thanks for the quick response!

1) I couldn't get any signal strength to come up for OTA, regardless of channel chosen, which of course probably doesn't matter much since the channels seem to be coming in OK.

2) I've tried taking them out of my channels I receive list, but they will still pop up when I use the up/down channel buttons.

3) Is it possible to program the power button on the remote to power on the Sony TV, while the volume button to change the volume on my H/K receiver?
Old 09-21-2005, 10:01 AM   #982
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:

1) I couldn't get any signal strength to come up for OTA, regardless of channel chosen, which of course probably doesn't matter much since the channels seem to be coming in OK.
Are you sure you're on the right channel? For instance, you may be watching "4.1" which is the re-mapped channel but your local is actually broadcasting on some other channel (likely in the UHF range) and sending PSIP (if I recall the acronym correctly), data to remap it on your end to the "normal" channel.

Quote:
2) I've tried taking them out of my channels I receive list, but they will still pop up when I use the up/down channel buttons.
That should have worked. If they aren't in CIR, then they shouldn't show up in the guide or by any other means.

Quote:
3) Is it possible to program the power button on the remote to power on the Sony TV, while the volume button to change the volume on my H/K receiver?
Sorry, no idea- I use a Harmony remote. The older Series 1 TiVos (like the SAT-T60) could do that but I don't know if the new ones can.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:43 AM   #983
Tom in OH

ota signal

Quote:

You can run thru all channels 2-69 while checking ota signal and see which ones come up. The station id shows up also for stations with a good signal.

Last edited by Tom in OH : 09-21-2005 at 10:49 AM.
Tom in OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:48 AM   #984
DaveWhittle

Quote:
Yep - I have the power button on the DirecTivo remote turn on the TV and receiver, the volume and mute controls the volume on the receiver and all other buttons operate the DirecTivo. I'm pretty sure the instructions on how to do this are in the manual.

The Tivo remote is a work of genius. ...well, IF the power button wasn't so close to instant replay!
DaveWhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:57 AM   #985
opie

Cool. I didn't think that the remote could turn the Sony TV with the power button, a Harmon/Kardon A/V receiver for the volume, and the channel buttons on the DirecTiVo machine.

Next time, I will study the manual better before asking a question like that!

Last edited by opie : 09-21-2005 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:33 PM   #986
Hootydog

Quote:
Dave and Tom,
Obviously yours were not the answers I was hoping for. I will try the standby mode option however I gather it's safe to assume that the (noise making) fan continues to run.

We'll see

PS So if it's like a refrigerator can I at least keep my beer cold with it?
Quoting my own post...
I was right. Going to standby does not turn off the fan... So I guess I'm stuck with the noise.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:43 PM   #987
Budget_HT
Heavy User (of TiVo)

Quote:
Quoting my own post...
I was right. Going to standby does not turn off the fan... So I guess I'm stuck with the noise.
Are you sure that fan noise is the culprit? Could it be the hard drive? Or a little of each?

If my old memory is accurate, I recall reading that some folks have stopped hard drive activity by tuning to a music channel (e.g., in the 800 series) on each tuner because there is no hard drive buffering of the music channels like there is for a video channel. Their goal was to quiet the unit down during sleep time.

Good luck!
Old 09-26-2005, 08:04 PM   #988
buellwinkle

If I take their latest offer on a HD Tivo they said I have to agree to 12 months of the HD Package. Is this true, can I cancel before then? I don't really care for anything in that package as I don't watch SD Discovery and ESPN now. I mostly want HD for the local channels.

I live in the LA area and have the local channels package, will I get the HD channels ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX off the satelite or do I need an OTA antena to get this? It shows channel 87 for ABC for example, is that OTA or a sat channel? I have an HDTV OTA receiver now but ABC reception is spotty at best.
buellwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:11 PM   #989
RockyTheSquirrel

Just get the HR10-250 HD-TiVo. The picture quality is way better than the SD D-TiVo.

Because you are in the LA area you shouldn't have to wait until the MPEG-4 upgrades to get locals off the satellite since your locals are the West coast national feed so you should be able to get them without a waiver like many of need to try and get.

HR10-250 - Stock
SAT-T60 - 96 Hours
DSR6000 - Stock 35 Hours
RockyTheSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:48 PM   #990
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

sorry if this is a smeek...should this sticky be updated to reflect ESPN2 in HD?
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote