TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-21-2005, 07:35 PM   #931
omaxwell
Ad Copywriter

Do current HD DirecTivos have broadcast flag detection?

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) has a "project" to encourage people to build or buy HD recording equipment before 7/1/05 so it will not have the broadcast flag detection in place. They don't talk about DirecTivo HD, however.

If I buy an HD DirecTivo today, 2 months before the turnover, will it already have the broadcast flag detection in place? Presumably they aren't going to convert their machines in stock on 7/1. How will I know?
omaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:20 AM   #932
feldon23
MythBuster

The broadcast flag was overturned.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:02 PM   #933
feldon23
MythBuster

I guess it will be time to overhaul this thread soon. I don't look forward to that.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:50 PM   #934
t0rnado

PLEASE HELP...May Be a repeat...Sorry!

I have a 3LNB dish and 1 standard dvr and one HD dvr.

DTV sent two cables to the standard DVR upstairs and two to the HD TIVO on the first floor

The problem I am having is I finished my basement and have placed the HD Tivo downstairs.

Using just the two cables run to the first floor can I use a multi-switch to run the standard DVR on the first floor and the HD DVR now in the basement.

PLEASE HELP !!! or direct me to an answer...I will keep searching the FAQ's and Posts.

Tony
t0rnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:04 PM   #935
guyricardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rnado

DTV sent two cables to the standard DVR upstairs and two to the HD TIVO on the first floor

The problem I am having is I finished my basement and have placed the HD Tivo downstairs.

Using just the two cables run to the first floor can I use a multi-switch to run the standard DVR on the first floor and the HD DVR now in the basement.

PLEASE HELP !!! or direct me to an answer...I will keep searching the FAQ's and Posts.

Tony
In a word...yes.

Most posts about switches deal with going from all 4 (5 with an OTA) to 8. This would be the ideal, and I'd recommend getting a 5x8 switch anyway if you can afford it. Never know what the future will bring. If you have no other choice, you can use a 3x4 switch to convert the 2 first floor cables to 4.
Pioneer PDP-5050HD
Pioneer VSX-1015TX
recovering Farscape addict
guyricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:25 PM   #936
sandiegojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
Search around this forum and you'll find a lot of discussion and speculation on the subject.

For most people the HR10-250 has a completely useful lifetime of at least 2 or 3 more years before DirecTV will have changed from MPEG-2 over to MPEG-4. What's happening initially is that local stations will be provided in HD using MPEG-4 and those won't be compatible with the HR10-250. So if you get your local stations over the air just fine, there's really no worry until DirecTV changes national programming in HD over to MPEG-4.

And even then, it's becoming clearer and clearer the DirecTV is going to swap the receivers out for free (or perhaps for a token shipping cost and 1-year commitment), so your investment is protected; even better you get new technology that'll be able to record more programming without having to invest more money.

So if you want HD today, the HR10-250 is a perfectly good choice to make. Announcing its "obsolescence" is highly premature; and even when it truly becomes obsolete, DirecTV's gonna protect your investment by giving you the new equipment you need.

It might even work out better for people -- rumors of pricing on the Home Media Center seem to have it 50-60% higher in cost than the HR10-250; so those people who already have the HR10-250 and accept the equipment swap by DirecTV could very well end up with a better deal than those who don't. And they'll have had use of the HD DVR in the interim -- unlike those people who like sitting on the fence and whining.
thanks Doug, this has been my dilemma. I know the hr10-250 has dropped down to the $600 - $700 price range now (anybody know any better deals? let me know) I was worried about buying it, only to have it become obsolete. I talked to the guy at d* customer service about the new mpeg4 format. He told me that it'll probably be coming around in october or november and when it does, they'll either send you a software upgrade or ship you a new high def tivo and you send em back your old one. He said in the past, these sorts of upgrades have been either free or really cheap.

So now I'm torn on getting the hd tivo before the switch. I wonder if these new MPeg4 machines will sell for more at the stores, like you seem to think. In which case, getting the existing one now and then getting a free upgrade might be the cheaper route. ALthough, I've gotta imagine these tivos will be super cheap right before the change. I wonder if directtv will have some sort of qualifying purchase dates?

decisions decisions.

What do you guys think? should I just be patient? or could it be cheaper to buy a hr10-250 knowing i'll be able to get a free upgrade in a few months?
sandiegojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:15 PM   #937
mattn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rnado

Tony
You need all 4 lines into any multiswitch that is upstream of the HD DVR.
Otherwise you will only be able to see the non-HD (sat 101) programming.

# Matt
Series 3 HD (+eSATA 750 GB)
mattn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:12 PM   #938
fwarren

I would love to know the answer on buy now or buy later. I WANT to buy it now but can Directv be trusted to upgrade us or replace the obsolete unit when MPEG4 arrives?

Is the best place to buy an new HD installation with Tivo at Directv or from another vendor? Which one?
fwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 04:46 PM   #939
beardad

Smile I don't know how this works!

I Have accidently found a hidden feature that I am not sure how this works. If I happen to catch the end of a show and want to see the whole thing I accidently found a way to record the whole thing if it is less than an hour long. One time I was 52 minutes into the program and another time I was 56 minutes into the program. In both instances I was viewing the end of a SD program. I press the back button to go back at the highest speed to view the earliest captured video then press record somehow it captures the whole program.

In both instances the Television was off but the DVR was on the channel that I was watching when the Television was turned on.

Has anyone heard of this before?
Old 07-04-2005, 12:44 AM   #940
rcmitchell

Stand Alone HD Tivo... Watch out DTV, and out with the Explorer cable box....

tivo/ces

Well, Tivo plans to lauch a HD Tivo/ Cable Box in Q1 2006.
Bout damn time I'm really getting sick of this Time Warner Junk, and I will not pay $1000 for a directv box, which driectv is trying to phase out tivo service anyway, without full function. I will pay anything for a tivo tho
rcmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 02:25 AM   #941
BrettStah

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardad
I Have accidently found a hidden feature that I am not sure how this works. If I happen to catch the end of a show and want to see the whole thing I accidently found a way to record the whole thing if it is less than an hour long. One time I was 52 minutes into the program and another time I was 56 minutes into the program. In both instances I was viewing the end of a SD program. I press the back button to go back at the highest speed to view the earliest captured video then press record somehow it captures the whole program.

In both instances the Television was off but the DVR was on the channel that I was watching when the Television was turned on.

Has anyone heard of this before?
Yes. The buffer can often contain more than the 30 minutes that's available from the normal Live TV 30 minute playback buffer that we see. As soon as you choose to record the show, the hidden part of the buffer is added to the new recording. In fact, you do not have to rewind first - all you're doing is losing part of this hidden buffer. You should immediately press Record without bothering to rewind at all. The caveat with the record from buffer feature, of course, is that if the show's ending time has been reached, then you will wind up recording the next show, even if it just started seconds before you chose to record. (You may wind up with some part of the old show tacked on to the next show, however).

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 08:00 PM   #942
Ericshere

I have a Terk 5x8 multi switch with Hi def Tivo. I have been gradualy losing signals on my HD reciever that doesnt have Tivo. I am now starting to lose some stations on my HDTivo. I am guessing it might be my multiswitch going bad. Anyone else have any ideas? Also, if thats the case...where is a good place to buy a new multi-switch? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Ericshere : 07-05-2005 at 08:32 PM.
Ericshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 12:01 AM   #943
Ericshere

Thanks Tom

I have re-booted several times and it doesnt help.
Ericshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:04 PM   #944
jmgonzalez

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwarren
I would love to know the answer on buy now or buy later. I WANT to buy it now but can Directv be trusted to upgrade us or replace the obsolete unit when MPEG4 arrives?

Is the best place to buy an new HD installation with Tivo at Directv or from another vendor? Which one?
I'm in the process of acquiring 2 DTV HD Tivo's through DTV.

My Tivo experience on and off of DTV has been great and have always bought my DTV SD Tivos at a great price for the functionality.

I have no problem buying these 2 new HD Tivos and having DTV upgrade their technology in the near future.

I would rather enjoy something now then to just sit around on the fence waiting for the "next big thing" in HD Directv DVR.
jmgonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:57 PM   #945
HDLouco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericshere
I have a Terk 5x8 multi switch with Hi def Tivo. I have been gradualy losing signals on my HD reciever that doesnt have Tivo. I am now starting to lose some stations on my HDTivo. I am guessing it might be my multiswitch going bad. Anyone else have any ideas? Also, if thats the case...where is a good place to buy a new multi-switch? Thanks in advance.
I am using a 5 X 8 multiswitch that I bought from http://www.110degrees.com for $69.95 and it has been working for a couple of years now. Another company, http://www.mcminone.com is having a special sale until the 15th of July, and a 5 X 12 multiswitch is being sold for only $49.95 plus S & H and sales tax. The item number is 33-8690, and their sales catalog shows the regular price as $89.99. Take a look at their web site.

One way to confirm that the multiswitch is going bad is to connect the HD receiver or the Tivo directly to the dish, bypassing the multiswitch. Why not try that before you spend good money to replace a switch that might be OK? Godd Luck to you!
HDLouco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:24 AM   #946
Rutgar

Quote:
For most people the HR10-250 has a completely useful lifetime of at least 2 or 3 more years before DirecTV will have changed from MPEG-2 over to MPEG-4. What's happening initially is that local stations will be provided in HD using MPEG-4 and those won't be compatible with the HR10-250. So if you get your local stations over the air just fine, there's really no worry until DirecTV changes national programming in HD over to MPEG-4.
Let me see if I have this straight. When you're saying that local stations will be provided in HD using MPEG-4 and those won't be compatible with the HR10-250, you're talking about digital local stations provided by DirecTV, right? Not the currently receivable OTA digital stations, right?

And if that's true, then will the new MPEG-4 decoders be backwards compatible so that those of us who get all of our local digital stations OTA will still be able to get them on the new decoders?

Am I making any sense?
Rutgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:59 AM   #947
Tom in OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar
And if that's true, then will the new MPEG-4 decoders be backwards compatible so that those of us who get all of our local digital stations OTA will still be able to get them on the new decoders?

Am I making any sense?
You're making plenty of sense. I'm sure hoping Directv Will include an OTA digital tuner. There's a chance they won't because they want everyone to signup for HD locals via the dish. I'm thinking even those who sign up for local HD with D* will also want an HD OTA tuner in case a local station isn't available via dish or some other reason. Choice always seems to be good.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:59 AM   #948
feldon23
MythBuster

Rutgar,

Yep.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:39 PM   #949
jmgonzalez

Question

I looked at the FAQ and could not find the correct answer to my question.

Currently have an oval (3 sat) dish installed, connected to a multiswitch, that is then distributed to every room in my house. I am currently using only 1 coax to each Tivo, so i'm not taking advantage of the two tuners. I would need to have any additional coax lines wall fished if I ever want to take advantage of dual tuners.

I am now looking at HD Tivo's to replace 2 of the DTV DVR's that I currently have.

In order to do this, can I reuse that one coax line going to each DVR and not worry about setting up an additional coax? I would rather not do that as I don't know how much longer i'll be in this house.

In talking to DTV minutes ago, I was told on a few occasions that I would need to have an additional coax installed to each TV to support the HDTV DVR.

Any help with this question will be appreciated!
Old 07-11-2005, 04:28 PM   #950
DonQijote

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgonzalez
tuners.

I am now looking at HD Tivo's to replace 2 of the DTV DVR's that I currently have.

In order to do this, can I reuse that one coax line going to each DVR and not worry about setting up an additional coax?
==========================================

That is exactly what I did for one of my HD Tivos.

- You can use only one connection.

- You can use ANY two connections presently connected to an SD tivo, as long as you have the correct dish & multiswitch.
DonQijote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:05 PM   #951
jmgonzalez

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQijote
==========================================

That is exactly what I did for one of my HD Tivos.

- You can use only one connection.

- You can use ANY two connections presently connected to an SD tivo, as long as you have the correct dish & multiswitch.
Thanks!

I recently upgraded my dish through DTV to receive the Para Todos package, so i'm all setup with the multiswitch and dish needed to acquire HD content.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:11 PM   #952
Helmut Forren

Quote:
HDCP is a protocol for content protection implemented on both DVI and HDMI interfaces. The HDMI connector itself isn't pin-compatible with a DVI connector, but there is a 1:1 correspondence of the digital video signals, so only an adapter is required. HDMI does include audio, however, which wouldn't be on a DVI connector.

Here's an excellent description of DVI, HDMI & HDCP: http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products/DVI_HDMI.htm
This page got moved. A working link 7/11/2005 is http://www.sigmadesigns.com/support/DVI_HDMI.htm
Helmut Forren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:57 PM   #953
kalphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojoe
thanks Doug, this has been my dilemma. I know the hr10-250 has dropped down to the $600 - $700 price range now (anybody know any better deals? let me know) I was worried about buying it, only to have it become obsolete. I talked to the guy at d* customer service about the new mpeg4 format. He told me that it'll probably be coming around in october or november and when it does, they'll either send you a software upgrade or ship you a new high def tivo and you send em back your old one. He said in the past, these sorts of upgrades have been either free or really cheap.

So now I'm torn on getting the hd tivo before the switch. I wonder if these new MPeg4 machines will sell for more at the stores, like you seem to think. In which case, getting the existing one now and then getting a free upgrade might be the cheaper route. ALthough, I've gotta imagine these tivos will be super cheap right before the change. I wonder if directtv will have some sort of qualifying purchase dates?

decisions decisions.

What do you guys think? should I just be patient? or could it be cheaper to buy a hr10-250 knowing i'll be able to get a free upgrade in a few months?

I'm feeling the same decision...

I called DirecTV a second time today (called them yesterday as well).

I found a couple of things.

1. The CSR knew I had called yesterday... this didn't seem to help my case.

I again VERY NICELY spoke to him about how I have been a long time customer 2+ years and have had the NFL package for the past two years. I expressed that I wanted to upgrade to the HD equipment but the price was holding me back.

2. He quickly said, "I wouldn't recommend you upgrade yet, you are going to have to upgrade in 6-9 months when the mpeg4 receivers come out.... "

I was a little surprised. I told him I really didn't want to wait as I wanted to watch the NFL in HD....

After some more talking about how I shouldn't upgrade (he said he was "one of the few CSRs that suggest that") he offered me $100 off credit for equipment and $5 off programming for 1 year.

Not the best offer so I said, thank you I'll have to think about it and he said "okay I'll note this in the account and if you activate it will take effect".

Am I screwed? It seems so many of you are getting the $250 credit and all this free programming and such. Is it just the luck of the draw with the CSR?

If I wait a month and call back... do you think they'll up their offer?

Any of you who has had to call multiple times, any advice on what you said that did the trick would be great! Thanks!

---- still have to go attempt to use this coupon at best buy... i guess the decision has to be made quickly. this csr really threw me off when he suggested that I DON'T upgrade....
kalphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:25 PM   #954
g-man

Totally luck of the draw.

I decided I wouldn't wait for them to offer anything. I called up and told them I wanted the $250 credit towards purchase and HBO/Showtime deal I've been hearing about (I think I said my friend got it). They told me based on my history they could only offer $200 - yeah, right! If I could call them back and prove I was a signed up for a longer period of time than their records showed, they'd give me the other $50.

They actually don't have one of my addresses and about 2 years of history on file, but that's beside the point. I called back in 3 minutes just to "confirm" that I must prove a longer history and that CSR laughed and said I can go ahead and give that extra $50 of credit to you right now.

Pick up the phone my friend...
g-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 01:45 AM   #955
flytivoer

This is really a large post. Forgive me if this question has already been answered, but if so, I didn't find it. I am about to purchase a new HDTV and will also upgrade to an HD DVR (HR10-250) for my DirecTV service. I am in the Chicago area and understand that I do have access to OTA HD for local stations. My question: Do I need to purchase an HDTV with built-in HD tuner to receive these local OTA HD stations? or does the HR10-250 have a built-in OTA HD tuner?
flytivoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 07:44 AM   #956
chill903

The HR10-250 has a built-in tuner. You don't need one on your TV.
chill903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:15 AM   #957
sda3
TiVo Fanatic

Right now i have a dsr-704 d*tivo and a set top d* reciever. I have a samsung sir-ts360 and i use it to input my tivo, and my dvd player, then it goes to the tv via DVI. The question i have is, I don't have enough component imputs on my TV for my tivo, dvd, and my game systems. Does the HR10-250 have a component input that i can use to plug my DVD player into and use it to upconvert like the set top box does? and does the hr10-250 have a DVI out?
sda3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:45 AM   #958
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sda3
Right now i have a dsr-704 d*tivo and a set top d* reciever. I have a samsung sir-ts360 and i use it to input my tivo, and my dvd player, then it goes to the tv via DVI. The question i have is, I don't have enough component imputs on my TV for my tivo, dvd, and my game systems. Does the HR10-250 have a component input that i can use to plug my DVD player into and use it to upconvert like the set top box does? and does the hr10-250 have a DVI out?
The 10-250 does not have component inputs: it is an strictly an output device. However, it does have an HDMI output, and the unit comes with an HDMI to DVI cable. So if your TV has either HDMI or DVI inputs, then you should be set.

Or, you can use the search tool to find multi-threads on component switchers. I haven't needed them, but I remember them being discussed.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:17 PM   #959
sda3
TiVo Fanatic

Thanks, I might just have to use a different input for my ps2, if i can get as good of a deal as some people in the forums.
sda3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:25 AM   #960
flytivoer

DirecTV just came to upgrade my satellite dish to an oval, Triple LNB dish so that I can receive HD channels. The installer couldn't get access to all three satellites coming out of the multi-switch so he said that I must have a bad multi-switch. I have a 4X8 multi-switch. Your article seems to imply that I should have 4 cables coming from the satellite dish. However, i only have two. Did the installer do something wrong? My multi-switch as well as your article seem to indicate that I should have four cables going into the multi-switch.
flytivoer is offline   Reply With Quote