TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2005, 06:36 AM   #901
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by itzme
I have a basic question-sorry if its dumb or a repeated question. Since I have 2 SAT INs and 1 ANT INs (which is split into 2 by the HR10-250). Why can' t I record 2 shows (say using the SAT IN tuners) and watch a 3rd OTA show from the ANT in tuner? Id I try to do that, I get a conflict message that asks if I want to stop recording from one of the tuners. In my mind, tt seems like I should be able to at least watch that 3rd show.
Internally the receiver considers each pair (satellite & OTA) a single "virtual tuner"; so unless it can access all channels on each virtual tuner, it doesn't allow the tuner to be used at all. It would complicate conflict resolution quite a bit, which is probably why they did it this way -- it enabled them to use their scheduling/conflict resolution algorithm mostly unchanged from the SD receivers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:54 AM   #902
itzme

That makes sense. So in short, it sounds like "it should but it won't". Well I'm glad I can at least change TV Inputs to the TV tuner and watch an OTA channel from the TV.
itzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:49 PM   #903
Bobcuch

Hi there... I am not able to put the link in this post because I am new here but, recently I read that the new Direct Tv HD TIVOs will be obsolete in about 6 months because Direct Tv is going to MPEG-4 compression. (I have the link to the article if anyone is interest. Sorry I can not post it here.) I am wondering if it would then be better to wait till Direct Tv straightens all that out before becoming an "early adopter" of the technology.

I currently have 4 Direct Tv Tivos. We love them and I have been saving a long time to put in a dream home theater. I have been waiting for the HDTIVO and was saddened to hear that it will become worthless....

Thoguhts? Is this true?

Thanks!
Bob
Bobcuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:07 PM   #904
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcuch
Hi there... I am not able to put the link in this post because I am new here but, recently I read that the new Direct Tv HD TIVOs will be obsolete in about 6 months because Direct Tv is going to MPEG-4 compression. (I have the link to the article if anyone is interest. Sorry I can not post it here.) I am wondering if it would then be better to wait till Direct Tv straightens all that out before becoming an "early adopter" of the technology.

I currently have 4 Direct Tv Tivos. We love them and I have been saving a long time to put in a dream home theater. I have been waiting for the HDTIVO and was saddened to hear that it will become worthless....

Thoguhts? Is this true?

Thanks!
Bob
Search around this forum and you'll find a lot of discussion and speculation on the subject.

For most people the HR10-250 has a completely useful lifetime of at least 2 or 3 more years before DirecTV will have changed from MPEG-2 over to MPEG-4. What's happening initially is that local stations will be provided in HD using MPEG-4 and those won't be compatible with the HR10-250. So if you get your local stations over the air just fine, there's really no worry until DirecTV changes national programming in HD over to MPEG-4.

And even then, it's becoming clearer and clearer the DirecTV is going to swap the receivers out for free (or perhaps for a token shipping cost and 1-year commitment), so your investment is protected; even better you get new technology that'll be able to record more programming without having to invest more money.

So if you want HD today, the HR10-250 is a perfectly good choice to make. Announcing its "obsolescence" is highly premature; and even when it truly becomes obsolete, DirecTV's gonna protect your investment by giving you the new equipment you need.

It might even work out better for people -- rumors of pricing on the Home Media Center seem to have it 50-60% higher in cost than the HR10-250; so those people who already have the HR10-250 and accept the equipment swap by DirecTV could very well end up with a better deal than those who don't. And they'll have had use of the HD DVR in the interim -- unlike those people who like sitting on the fence and whining.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:15 PM   #905
Bobcuch

THANKS! I just found this site earlier today and have gotten now work done at the office today as I have been absorbing all the info I can. I really have waited a long time for this purchase and want to make sure I do it right. I ordered a new dish and switch last night so I am ready to go! Next comes the TV!

Thanks again for the quick reply!
Bob
Bobcuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:52 AM   #906
JoeSchueller

Doug,

The AVS Forum posting I read had it the other way around with pricing in the $500 to $600 range for the server depending on the HDD capacity and $100 for each SD remote unit. While that sounded exremely low to me, it is possible. It all depends on how motivated D* is to get MPEG4 (and perhaps KA/KU) hardware in people's hands.

The good news was that the same poster quoted the D* credit for a HR10-250 as $900.
JoeSchueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 06:41 PM   #907
marley1

Next release of HD DirecTV Tivo?

Feldon,

Great article on the HD DirecTV Tivo. One question, any news on when the next version of this product will be released? And if so, and info on new features/cost?

Thanks,

Marley
marley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:01 PM   #908
buggen

Sorry if this has been covered before I did a search of this question and could not find the answer. I have a 4:3 HDTV, will I be able to watch 4:3 shows through the component output of the hr10 that fill the entire 4:3 screen? Currently I have the older Hughes HDTV receiver (model E86) and if it's set to use the component output even if the show is 480i 4:3 I get black bars all the way around the 4:3 picture. I can stretch the 480i to fill 16:9 but I hate that on a 4:3 TV.

Thanks
buggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:03 PM   #909
zoro

Is there any way, thjat we can skip ads from recorded HD or SD material?
zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:55 PM   #910
qdoggg
Tivo Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro
Is there any way, thjat we can skip ads from recorded HD or SD material?
you mean like a 30 second skip?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=227712
qdoggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:43 PM   #911
Zentaar

Isn't the first wiring diagram wrong?

The first wiring diagram has 2 dual tuner boxes connected to a 2 x 4. You could possibly have 4 tuners tuned into 101 odd, 101 even, 110, & 119 (odd or even). There is no way this could work with a 2 x 4 connector. You cannot draw 4 different signals through 2 lines, you need to use the 2nd wiring diagram for it to work correctly.

The only way the first diagram will work is if you receive all your programing from a single satalite (ie the 101). I assume the first diagram is pre HDTV in which all standard channels came from the 101 satalite, but once you switch to HDTV, it will need to be rewired.
Zentaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:58 PM   #912
MattMDK

I live in Los Angeles and can now receive ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX in HD directly through DirecTV without an OTA. This is not advertised but is available in several cities. Most of the DirecTV phone reps were unaware of this availability.
MattMDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:21 PM   #913
feldon23
MythBuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zentaar
The first wiring diagram has 2 dual tuner boxes connected to a 2 x 4. You could possibly have 4 tuners tuned into 101 odd, 101 even, 110, & 119 (odd or even). There is no way this could work with a 2 x 4 connector. You cannot draw 4 different signals through 2 lines, you need to use the 2nd wiring diagram for it to work correctly.

The only way the first diagram will work is if you receive all your programing from a single satalite (ie the 101). I assume the first diagram is pre HDTV in which all standard channels came from the 101 satalite, but once you switch to HDTV, it will need to be rewired.
I don't think the caption to that diagram could be any more concise.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:06 AM   #914
baatz
TechoFobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMDK
I live in Los Angeles and can now receive ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX in HD directly through DirecTV without an OTA. This is not advertised but is available in several cities. Most of the DirecTV phone reps were unaware of this availability.

How do I find out exactly what HD programming DirecTV actually offers in my area?

After reading threads on several different forums, I am thoroughly confused...

I live in the Tampa DMA and I now have two DirecTivo DSR6000 units with DirecTV's Premier program subscription.

I want to get a HDTV plasma TV (Hitachi), along with a Hughes HD10-250.

But I do not know what network HD programming I can get from DirecTV. CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX? (OTA isn't an option for me because I live too far from the transmitters in Tampa to receive HD signals.)

All the talk about O&O and LiL is baffling...

Thanks, Ed
baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:29 AM   #915
Pangloss

You'd get the standard package of HD channels. PPV, Universal HD, Discovery HD, ESPN HD, and the two HD-Net channels. Showtime and HBO if you want to pay for 'em (or can talk them into some kind of deal). That's the whole shebang.

If you pass the waiver (which they apply for on your behalf when you call DirecTV and order service) then you'll get the major networks' New York City feeds, which are conveniently positioned just below the afformentioned channels in the program guide.

When the guy comes to install, he'll put the OTA stuff up automatically. If does put an extra antenna on the roof, so if you're really certain it won't work then I guess you can skip that part. But you never know, it might get lucky. HDTV signals can carry a long way here in flat Florida.
Pangloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:55 AM   #916
baatz
TechoFobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss
If you pass the waiver (which they apply for on your behalf when you call DirecTV and order service) then you'll get the major networks' New York City feeds, which are conveniently positioned just below the afformentioned channels in the program guide.

When the guy comes to install, he'll put the OTA stuff up automatically. If does put an extra antenna on the roof, so if you're really certain it won't work then I guess you can skip that part. But you never know, it might get lucky. HDTV signals can carry a long way here in flat Florida.
Pangloss:

Thanks for the info!

So DirecTV customers don't know if they "pass the waiver" until after they subscribe to DirecTV's HD service? What determines who is eligible for a waiver? I would really like to get HDTV now, but if I can't receive the networks in HD at this time, I'll just wait (even longer) until MPEG4 is a reality...

My local stations' signal quality in SD is lousy where I live (about 60 miles south of Tampa) --- maybe in part due to my neighbor's huge trees that are between my house and the transmitter towers in Tampa. Maybe I should just sell my house and move closer or get out the old chainsaw?

If I could get HDTV OTA that would be great. But it seems pretty unlikely?

Should I just call DirecTV now, sign up for HD and then find out if I "pass the waiver". If I get the waiver, I can then go ahead and buy a new HDTV and HD10-250 at that point or if I don't get a waiver --- I could cancel HD service?

Ed
Old 03-16-2005, 01:52 PM   #917
Pangloss

That's right. I still don't know myself (got mine on the 10th). In my case it doesn't matter because I get the Miami stations perfectly (which look every bit as good as the satellite channels to my untrained eye). I was just curious to see what would happen, so I requested the waivers. My guess is they'll be denied.

It's based on zip code, btw. I don't think you can request a waiver before you decide to purchase, but I suppose you could ask.

The SD quality of your locals is irrelevent. The trees... I have no idea. I'm surrounded by trees, for what it's worth. But South Florida is a little flatter than Tampa, I believe.

You should go here (AV Science Forum) and take a look at the thread they have for Tampa OTA. You will probably see posts from other people in your area, as well as posts from engineers working at the stations in your area. The South Florida thread was very helpful to me.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=45

There's also a place where you can go and punch in your zip code and see what stations are available and what the likely reception quality will be. Unfortunately I didn't save that page and can't find it at the moment. Perhaps someone else will have it.
Pangloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:34 PM   #918
baatz
TechoFobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss
"I don't think you can request a waiver before you decide to purchase, but I suppose you could ask."
I REALLY don't like the idea of spending $7,000 + on new HD equipment before I know if I can even get the channels that I want to watch.

From what I've learned up to now, getting HD from OTA is great, IF (and it is a big if?) you live close enough to get a good, strong signal. The Tampa Bay area OTA forums I've read don't sound very encouraging --- and once again, spending several thousand dollars in the "hope" that I can get the HD programming seems absurd from my biased viewpoint.

I guess that once again, I will just have to put off buying that new HDTV plasma TV...

Thanks anyways...
Old 03-16-2005, 06:16 PM   #919
feldon23
MythBuster

Order the equipment from a DirecTV installer. They'll come out and if they can't get an install, you aren't on the hook for anything. They can check HDTV reception on any TV.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:10 AM   #920
leesweet
TC Special Member

And/or, if you are worried about OTA, have a local antenna shop come out and do a site survey. They usually charge nothing for this if you purchase the OTA antenna install from them, and $50-100 if you can't good OTA.

Your local thread at AVS should have recommendations on a reliable local installer.

(For example: I wanted to get Washington and Baltimore via a rotator and a CM4228; the installed (Fairfax Antenna) said after testing there was no way I'd get B'more, and I ended up with a CM4221 that gets everything (possible) from Washington. But that info from him saved me (and cost him) several hundred dollars. That's the best way to test the OTA if you are worried.)

You can test OTA yourself with an inside antenna if you are close enough, but it sounds like you need an external for OTA where you are. I'd much rather have a local installer test the OTA than the D* installer, who may not have a clue about OTA if he's not done a lot of it..
Old 03-29-2005, 01:10 PM   #921
zymurgist

CableCard TiVo

I've searched through this thread, but it didn't find any info. After searching TiVo's web page, I found this release. Good news for those with a comprehensive cable HD line-up.
zymurgist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:42 PM   #922
Lancegolfs

I am a newbe but need a little help! I am buying a couple of the HD DTV boxes (one with tivo and one without) but I have seen posts of problems with mpeg4 & hdmi connection. Are these truly issues or is there not a problem? DTV tells me that mpeg4 can be upgraded on the hr10-250 when available and that the software upgrade on the hdmi connection fixes that problem. Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Lancegolfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:35 AM   #923
rric31

Hdtv Tivo

Ok. I am the guy that has "stuff". TIVO, wireless connections throughout the house, home theater, etc.

But let me tell you, this HDTV really baffles me. I do not have a HDTV TV, and like many others will be getting one when the prices drop, hopefully in the Plasma world to around $2000.

My question to the board which I am sure has been answered, but I can't find it, is, will I need to purchase a new TIVO when I get HDTV in my household? Once I get the connections from my cable company for HDTV and a HDTV Television, will I also need to purchase another TIVO so I can enjoy my new HD stuff through TIVO?

Thanks

Rich in Maine
rric31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:40 AM   #924
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by rric31
Ok. I am the guy that has "stuff". TIVO, wireless connections throughout the house, home theater, etc.

But let me tell you, this HDTV really baffles me. I do not have a HDTV TV, and like many others will be getting one when the prices drop, hopefully in the Plasma world to around $2000.

My question to the board which I am sure has been answered, but I can't find it, is, will I need to purchase a new TIVO when I get HDTV in my household? Once I get the connections from my cable company for HDTV and a HDTV Television, will I also need to purchase another TIVO so I can enjoy my new HD stuff through TIVO?

Thanks

Rich in Maine
The only HD-capable TiVo-based device is for DirecTV; until that changes, the only way you can use TiVo for HD material is with DirecTV.

Old 04-08-2005, 04:20 PM   #925
BBURNES

Rric31,

A couple of extra thoughts/answers to your question:

1) Doug is right on. Currently, DirecTV is the only service which provides a product to enable you to record in HD utilizing Tivo. Once you buy your HD TV, if you like Tivo AND want to record in HD, you must get DirecTV.

2) Your current Tivo will NOT record in HD. So even if you switched from cable to DirecTV, your current Tivo will not work. You must purchase the HR10-250 from DirecTV, your neighborhood electronics store or a fine online retailer. Then make the switch to DirecTV.

3) Many cable companies now make HD DVRs available to their customers to record HD content. However, these HD DVRs are NOT Tivo. Generally, our members report that they are most inferior to Tivo functionality.

4) Finally, Tivo has announed plans to create a Cable Card Tivo. When it is introduced, cable customers will then be able to record HD content without getting DirecTV service. So, if you are adamant about not having DirecTV service and really want to stay with cable...hope is on the way. But it will be a new unit as well. Your current Tivo will NOT work at that point with cable either.

Sorry if you knew much of this already ... and for this very long post. But hope it helps clear up the confusion.
BBURNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:27 AM   #926
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBURNES
Rric31,

4) Finally, Tivo has announed plans to create a Cable Card Tivo. When it is introduced, cable customers will then be able to record HD content without getting DirecTV service. So, if you are adamant about not having DirecTV service and really want to stay with cable...hope is on the way. But it will be a new unit as well. Your current Tivo will NOT work at that point with cable either. ....
Since I live in a cave, I didn't see this announcement. Do you have any additional information (a release date?).

Thanks
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:42 AM   #927
Sparta Boy

please clarify

I understand that if you have HiDef channels that they cannot be recorded in HiDef by Tivo.

My question is if I have HiDef channels, can I record it on my Series 2 Tivo in standard definition and have a pleasant viewing experience using an ETV Plasma (as opposed to a HDTV Plasma) ?

thanks!
Sparta Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 12:42 PM   #928
bschwart

I heard a rumor that DirecTv was going to stop supporting TiVo. Is this true/has anyone else heard this? I heard they are releasing a bunch of new HD channels in Mpeg4 format which is not supported by TiVo.

This may all be false information I have been given, but I wanted to see if anyone else has heard anything about DirecTV and TiVo's relationship.

I am in the process of deciding whether or not to get the HD TiVo from DirecTv and trying to get all the information I can. It's quite costly, but I'd rather pay more for a TiVo than less for some other no name brand.

Thanks,
Brian
bschwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 02:32 PM   #929
Budget_HT
Heavy User (of TiVo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparta Boy
I understand that if you have HiDef channels that they cannot be recorded in HiDef by Tivo.

My question is if I have HiDef channels, can I record it on my Series 2 Tivo in standard definition and have a pleasant viewing experience using an ETV Plasma (as opposed to a HDTV Plasma) ?

thanks!
If you have a stand-alone TiVo, you can use down-rezz'd outputs of an HD tuner to feed into your stand-alone TiVo and record programs broadcast in HD, IF you have a means of selecting the right channels on the HD tuner and the right input on the SA TiVo. I am NOT knowledgeable on how/whether the channel changing part would or would not work. Other folks have some experiences with this.

If you have a non-HD (SD) DirecTV DVR with TiVo (a.k.a., a DirecTiVo), there is no way to tune in or record HD channels--OTA or satellite.

The way to record HD programs from DirecTV satellite and OTA is with the HR10-250 HD DirecTV DVR with TiVo.

Hope I have answered your question here. I was not clear on which TiVo type you were referring to.

Last edited by Budget_HT : 04-15-2005 at 07:18 PM. Reason: correct typo's
Budget_HT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 01:42 PM   #930
Norma_S

Brian,

I, too, have heard that over at AVSForum about DirecTV and Tivo severing their relationship after the current contract expires in a couple of years.
Norma_S is offline   Reply With Quote