TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2004, 10:20 AM   #871
feldon23
MythBuster

All 3 satellites including HDTV programming can't be stacked on 1 wire. 4000 MHz is just too much for RG-6.

I heard from someone knowledgeable at SBC that they are starting to stack all 3 satellites using 2 wires and re-combining in the apartments.

You said they "charge a lot to activate HD"? They're probably charging you exactly what it costs to send the right signal to your apartment and give you the proper equipment for you to use it. Nobody said HD was cheap!
Old 12-04-2004, 11:37 AM   #872
odrybenj

Yes, I know that HD is not cheap; it's just that I have the feeling they're trying to get as much money as they can out of it and way over the real cost. I just want to make sure that I am not being robbed (too much)....

Thanks anyway, I'll probably ask them to come.
odrybenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:51 AM   #873
Budget_HT
Heavy User (of TiVo)

odrybenj:

Welcome to the forum.

We are interested in just how your setup will work. Please share your info if you go ahead with HD in your home.

For example, 2 cables or one? Any conversion/multiswitch boxes added (manufacturer and product ID), description of how things are interconnected, etc.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:58 PM   #874
odrybenj

Sorry Budget,

I am living in a complex wired by MDU, so I am having the same kind of problems (stacker/destacker) feldon had a while ago. I only have one cable in my wall (stacked signal) so TiVO does not work yet (I have a Hughes DVR80). I have a sharp LCD HD TV plus the samsung SR360 HD receiver that is why I'm interested in knowing how HD signal is routed with MDU. I only get HD trhough a Silver Sensor antenna for now.

So I guess common configuration with common difficulties. An interesting thing is that my HD receiver works without destacker, so I guess it destacks the signal by itself.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:18 PM   #875
odrybenj

Tivo Conenctions with Phase III dish

feldon,

I have a question for you since you since you posted the FAQ about HD and tivo. You showed example of connectivity using the 3 LNB dish. How does it work with a Phase III dish? It seems that there is only one cable running out of the dish, so how does your scheme get updated with this kind of Dish? I suppose you don't use multiswitch anymore sionec you have all three satellite signals in one cable..

Thanks,
Old 12-10-2004, 08:55 PM   #876
feldon23
MythBuster

Phase III dish IS a 3LNB dish. It has 4 outputs on it.

Not sure where you are seeing 1 cable?
Old 12-10-2004, 09:39 PM   #877
odrybenj

I just wanted to understand why I only have one input on the HD receiver. I have a Samsung SR 360. I guess if there is one input, it can support the signals from the 3 LNBs, whether there are 4 cables getting out of the dish or signals are stacked together in one, which seems not to be an option...

An interesting thing also is that this receiver seems to have a auto-destacker functionality. For instance I don't need any destacker in a MDU complex, but that's something else. Adding a destacker seems to block odd transponders.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:47 PM   #878
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by odrybenj
I just wanted to understand why I only have one input on the HD receiver. I have a Samsung SR 360. I guess if there is one input, it can support the signals from the 3 LNBs, whether there are 4 cables getting out of the dish or signals are stacked together in one, which seems not to be an option...

An interesting thing also is that this receiver seems to have a auto-destacker functionality. For instance I don't need any destacker in a MDU complex, but that's something else. Adding a destacker seems to block odd transponders.
The receiver sends a voltage (13v DC or 17v DC) and a 22kHz tone (or no tone) to the multiswitch to tell it what signal to connect to the receiver; that allows one cable to be used per tuner no matter how many real LNB's are involved in receiving the satellite signal.

If the receiver supports destacking, to switch to non-stacked inputs, you'll need to adjust the configuration option (I think they refer to it as "WIDE" signal or something like that on Samsungs), or run through the automatic dish/LNB detection process again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 10:51 PM   #879
odrybenj

Ah ok! That makes sense of course.
Thanks.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:51 AM   #880
Joe Smith
Medium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
My suggestion is that all show-specific content be deleted from the this FAQ and a link be entered to the AVS HD Programming Links Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=346761
That URL is no longer valid; it's been archived to http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...hreadid=346761
Joe Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 01:06 AM   #881
Joe Smith
Medium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Siegler
Reply to the first post in this thread..

1) Radio Shack grille/bowtie-type (aka the Objet d'Art) - The link to that item is now broken.
Yeah, it moved from www to archive: http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/a...tachmentid=983
Joe Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 07:44 AM   #882
nuzzy

Quote:
To take full advantage of a DirecTV with TiVo or DirecTV HD TiVo receiver/recorder, you must have TWO wires from the dish/multiswitch connected to them. Ordinary DirecTV receivers each require ONE wire from the dish/multiswitch.
Hello,

I just read the first post and saw this. I have a Phase III dish, but only 1 coax running up to the TV. Should I have had two when the dish was installed? I only have this 1 wire hooked up to #1 Sat on my HR10-250. Will I need to get that second set up as well?
nuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 08:11 AM   #883
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by nuzzy
Hello,

I just read the first post and saw this. I have a Phase III dish, but only 1 coax running up to the TV. Should I have had two when the dish was installed? I only have this 1 wire hooked up to #1 Sat on my HR10-250. Will I need to get that second set up as well?
Yes, there should be two coax lines from the dish to your HR10-250, one for each tuner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:02 AM   #884
nuzzy

Thanks for the quick reply - it looks like it may be an easy fix for me as I have a Zinwell 4x8 Multi-Switch with available outputs. I think I just have to run a wire from the Multi-switch to the DVR.
nuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 08:46 PM   #885
WERAHQ

Might be a stupid question and it may have been answered but after page 30 or so my eyes got a bit blurry however I will apologize in advance....

I've got a Sony Vega with the component inputs but not the HDMI, is it worth getting the HDTivo or not? It's only about 5 years old and I believe that dining room furniture is next on "our" list of major household purchases so a new HDTV is out - that and I'm leaning towards a projector next. My T60 is old enough I'm pretty sure I can get approval along with it being my borthday soon, well acceptance maybe but it's enough.
WERAHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 08:50 PM   #886
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by WERAHQ
Might be a stupid question and it may have been answered but after page 30 or so my eyes got a bit blurry however I will apologize in advance....

I've got a Sony Vega with the component inputs but not the HDMI, is it worth getting the HDTivo or not? It's only about 5 years old and I believe that dining room furniture is next on "our" list of major household purchases so a new HDTV is out - that and I'm leaning towards a projector next. My T60 is old enough I'm pretty sure I can get approval along with it being my borthday soon, well acceptance maybe but it's enough.
Give the model number so we can check out specs directly; but if the component input is supporting and displaying 720p or 1080i resolutions, then you most definitely will see something better than you get with SD. But if it's only supporting 480p or 480i, then it'll be far less an improvement -- maybe noticable, but not dramatic.

Old 12-29-2004, 09:01 PM   #887
WERAHQ

Couldn't find that info in the book, I'll do a search as well but in the meantime it's a Sony Wega FD Trinitron KV-36FS12

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2004, 09:09 PM   #888
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Couldn't find that info in the book, I'll do a search as well but in the meantime it's a Sony Wega FD Trinitron KV-36FS12
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KV32FV16.pdf (it includes your model)

It supports 16:9 vertical scanline compression.

No mention of HD; just talk of "connecting a DVD player" to the component inputs, so most likely it only supports 480i, maybe 480p.

Old 12-29-2004, 09:15 PM   #889
WERAHQ

That's what I figured - looks like I'll hold off on the HD Tivo for now - thanks for the help!
Old 12-30-2004, 01:09 AM   #890
ludeboy12

so is there really no way to get tivo updates on this bad boy without a land line??

i use my cell as my main phone and id rather not have to spend an additional 20-30 a month for phone service i'll never use except of course to let the tivo update.....
ludeboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:28 PM   #891
jbauer

Quote:
....I've got a Sony Vega with the component inputs but not the HDMI, is it worth getting the HDTivo or not? It's only about 5 years old and I believe that dining room furniture is next on "our" list of major household purchases so a new HDTV is out - that and I'm leaning towards a projector next. My T60 is old enough I'm pretty sure I can get approval along with it being my borthday soon, well acceptance maybe but it's enough.
You didn't give your model number, but the one I had, the 36XBR250, was the model before the HD sets came out, and I bought that one less than 5 years ago (sorry, don't remember the date). So... your set was DEFINITELY not HD. I don't think there's any benefit to buying the HD TiVo with that set...

Sorry!

- Jon
jbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 03:58 PM   #892
Tom in OH

WERAHQ,
after using the HDTivo since June '04, I'd say it's well worth a purchase even if your tv is not an HDTV. I would've enjoyed using it almost as much with SD tvs. The hard drive is gigantic and holds plenty of shows, ready and waiting whenever u are. Chances are the next tv u buy will be an HDTV w/HDMI or component and then, your HDTivo will be even more fun to have. Also, your Sony probably does 480p which would look great today from the component output on the HDTivo.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:43 PM   #893
tpk

Cool New HD Local Channels

Just an FYI to most. I found out by accident on the 31st and again on the 1st, that DirecTV has added Fox and ABC local (i.e. East and West) offerings. If you look in the "All Channels" or even the "You Receive" selection of the grid, you'll notice that all major networks (sorry UPN and WB) are now offered in High Def in the 80's.

DirecTV has once again made no effort to notify anyone, but at least we can now see all networks in High Def. For those of you still thinking about it, it's pricey, but once you convert, you'll almost give up watching anything in standard def.

Enjoy!!
2 DirecTiVo 40GB
tpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:54 PM   #894
Todd76

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom in OH
after using the HDTivo since June '04, I'd say it's well worth a purchase even if your tv is not an HDTV.
I don't think the larger hard drive is worth the extra $900 or so. If you don't have HD, get the non-HD version. Or two. Or three. And still save money.
Todd76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:49 AM   #895
leesweet
TC Special Member

Er, yeah. The drive itself is worth about $200 or less. Unless you are recording things to keep until you get an HD display, I don't see the point, either.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:52 AM   #896
leesweet
TC Special Member

Re: New HD Local Channels

Quote:
Originally posted by tpk
DirecTV has once again made no effort to notify anyone, but at least we can now see all networks in High Def.
Huh? Yeah, it's in your guide. And *you* maybe can get them because you are in the LA area, I assume. For the average person, they can get only 1 or none of these. (I can get two...) Unless you are in a DNS white-area with no other coverage, or are in an O&O area for that particular network, you can't get these. New waivers are also out, so the viewing population for these is a bit limited! (Only NY and LA people get all of them automatically because the stations are their locals...)
Old 01-05-2005, 01:05 PM   #897
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Re: Re: New HD Local Channels

Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
[...] so the viewing population for these is a bit limited! (Only NY and LA people get all of them automatically because the stations are their locals...)
Well, 11.6679% of all television households in the country are in the New York and Los Angeles markets, which have unrestricted access to the HD networks in their respective market.

That's not really chump change.

Anyon ever seen a report on DirecTV penetration by DMA? That'd be interesting.

Old 01-07-2005, 03:08 PM   #898
mikeny

I seem to get about 12 days of guide data. Is that normal? I know it says up to 14. Is 12 about the most to expect? Thanks.
mikeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #899
leesweet
TC Special Member

Well, Doug, I wasn't counting NY and LA, since a lot of people there can get those locals OTA. I know many LA people are behind a mountain or something, and I know NY's not done with the new combiner (is that the term?) on the Empire State building, but I was still talking about the average D* sub.

I also was sort of implying that almost no one except NY/LA can get all of them. Of course, they all evaporate for the rest of us when HD LILs are up, darn it!
Old 01-25-2005, 06:08 AM   #900
itzme

I have a basic question-sorry if its dumb or a repeated question. Since I have 2 SAT INs and 1 ANT INs (which is split into 2 by the HR10-250). Why can' t I record 2 shows (say using the SAT IN tuners) and watch a 3rd OTA show from the ANT in tuner? Id I try to do that, I get a conflict message that asks if I want to stop recording from one of the tuners. In my mind, tt seems like I should be able to at least watch that 3rd show.

Last edited by itzme : 01-25-2005 at 06:18 AM.
itzme is offline   Reply With Quote