TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-21-2004, 12:48 PM   #841
MCodanti

Unless your locals are on 72.5 right? Or you need an OTA antenna.. (I have 6 lines to me main equipment, 4) D*, 1) OTA, 1) Power for MS)

If you have a 4x16 MS would you get better signal from running 6 lines to your 3 DirecTiVo boxes than if you just ran 4 and put it through another 4x8 MS? (Can you cascade them without signal loss?)
MCodanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 02:12 PM   #842
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by feldon23
Why would anyone ever need more than 4 coax runs to a room? You can always put a 4xX multiswitch, right?
A person needing 72.5° currently needs 5 coax runs if they also have HD receivers. And then there's 95° and eventually SpaceWay. Who knows where this will max out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 04:39 PM   #843
HDLouco

Have I missed some news? I thought Directv only had sats at 101, 110 and 119 WL spots! What is at 72.5? Thanks, Doug, for any answers!
HDLouco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 04:46 PM   #844
maharg18

Quote:
Originally posted by HDLouco
Have I missed some news? I thought Directv only had sats at 101, 110 and 119 WL spots! What is at 72.5? Thanks, Doug, for any answers!
72.5 has locals for about 2 dozen new local markets.

Directv5, which is the old sat from 119, is now located at 72.5.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:56 PM   #845
HDLouco

Quote:
Originally posted by maharg18
72.5 has locals for about 2 dozen new local markets.

Directv5, which is the old sat from 119, is now located at 72.5.
I had not heard this! Thanks for answering. I guess I don't have to worry about 72.5 for the time being because I live in California and should be getting my local channels from either 110 or 119. It would be a nightmare trying to install another dish with the required multiswitch to handle it all.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:07 PM   #846
feldon23
MythBuster

72.5 is, unless something has changed in my absence, a way to provide locals to folks living in BFE. It is, on a smaller scale, what Dish Network did (putting locals on other satellites which require more dishes).
Old 11-22-2004, 03:00 PM   #847
madpoet

Out of the box, what do I need to do? Install is Saturday. I already know I need to change it to 1080i from the default. I'll check HDMI, but I'm really mostly using component. I also have to set the audio settings, is that correct? Should be digital output to my Denon 3805. Anything else I need to make sure I do?

THanks,
MP
madpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 04:48 PM   #848
IT_Dave

Connection Diagrams ??

Quote:
Originally posted by jsimtx
I appreciate your connection diagrams. I have four TVs, three TiVos, HDTV sattelite and off air antena for local HDTV. I think I need a 5X8 multiswitch and several diplexers to connect it all so that sattelite and OTA is available in each room. Could you add such a diagram for this? Thanks, jsimtx
Where do you find connection diagrams?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave
www.ForLowerBills.com
IT_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 06:32 PM   #849
HDLouco

Re: Connection Diagrams ??

Quote:
Originally posted by IT_Dave
Where do you find connection diagrams?

Thanks,

Dave
I don't think you need any connection diagrams to connect a 5X8 multiwsitch (MS) to your Tivos and receivers. The Phase-3 Directv dish has 4 outputs. You connect all 4 outputs to the 4 inputs of the 5X8 MS. Then you connect the TV antenna cable to the antenna input of the MS. My MS requires power, and that comes from a power supply via another coaxial cable connected to the power input of the MS. You now have 8 outputs which carry signals from all the Directv sats plus the OTA antenna signal. And you connect each one of the outputs to your Tivos and other Directv receivers throughout your house. Hope that will help you! Good luck to you.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:25 PM   #850
IT_Dave

Sorry, I should have been more clear, there is more than one discussion going on in this thread. What I mean was, diagrams showing what is required to connect different types of receivers TIVO's etc from point A Satellite to Point Z.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave
www.ForLowerBills.com
IT_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 11:03 PM   #851
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Please let me know if there are any mistakes/oversights in this FAQ.

Also I know it needs more outside links to information and where to buy the components.

Feedback appreciated!
Reply to the first post in this thread..

1) Radio Shack grille/bowtie-type (aka the Objet d'Art) - The link to that item is now broken.

2) The shows shown in HD on the various networks should probably be updated - I know Jake 2.0 on UPN hasn't been shown for awhile now (better part of a year, I think).

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 06:50 PM   #852
edrock200

ABC's Lost is also in HD.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:51 PM   #853
edrock200

Quote:
72.5 is, unless something has changed in my absence, a way to provide locals to folks living in BFE. It is, on a smaller scale, what Dish Network did (putting locals on other satellites which require more dishes).
I thought 72.5 was to provide local HD's and new national HD's. Is this not the case?
Old 11-27-2004, 08:42 PM   #854
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by edrock200
I thought 72.5 was to provide local HD's and new national HD's. Is this not the case?
Nope, 72.5° is just more SD locals using a Canadian-allocated slot that DirecTV provided a satellite for in exchange for using some of the bandwidth there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:18 PM   #855
edrock200

Whats the slot they announced for two sats for "upto 1000 HD channels?"
Old 11-27-2004, 09:22 PM   #856
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Whats the slot they announced for two sats for "upto 1000 HD channels?"
They'll be using 99°/103° for SpaceWay and have plans for a new satellite at 101° with Ka-band capabilities too.

Old 11-28-2004, 01:11 PM   #857
HDLouco

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
They'll be using 99°/103° for SpaceWay and have plans for a new satellite at 101° with Ka-band capabilities too.
Hi Doug!
I have always appreciated your posts because you always have the the answers. Now, if you'll pardom my ignorance, what is the difference between Ka and Ku bands? Any links to where you got this info? Thanks.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:23 PM   #858
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by HDLouco
Hi Doug!
I have always appreciated your posts because you always have the the answers. Now, if you'll pardom my ignorance, what is the difference between Ka and Ku bands? Any links to where you got this info? Thanks.
It's just a different (higher) range of frequencies for the transmission; the original theory was Ka-band would permit smaller dishes, but it's also more subject to rain fade issues, so using the same size dish as we have now should provide a little better reception.

If you just search for "ka-band" and some other dbs terms you should find some basic info around; I don't really know of a single overall discussion someplace I could direct you to.

Old 11-28-2004, 01:49 PM   #859
HDLouco

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
It's just a different (higher) range of frequencies for the transmission; the original theory was Ka-band would permit smaller dishes, but it's also more subject to rain fade issues, so using the same size dish as we have now should provide a little better reception.

If you just search for "ka-band" and some other dbs terms you should find some basic info around; I don't really know of a single overall discussion someplace I could direct you to.
Thank you very much, Doug! Will do as you suggested and search.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:31 PM   #860
leesweet
TC Special Member

Quote:
ABC's Lost is also in HD.
My suggestion is that all show-specific content be deleted from the this FAQ and a link be entered to the AVS HD Programming Links Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=346761

Is there a reason to duplicate research and content? I think this is the place for unique TiVo content but HD TV content that's at AVS? I don't see the point, IMO.

And for people that do want more up to the minute HD Programming news, here's one great thread by fredfa on ratings/cancelations/news:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=440744
Old 11-30-2004, 03:32 PM   #861
leesweet
TC Special Member

Okay, gah, I just re-read this whole thread to be sure I wasn't missing anything... Did we ever confirm that the RCA and optical audio can be active at the same time? It was mentioned at a possible solution to one issue at one point, but I can't find where anyone said that it actually worked. (Many devices with 'analog' and 'digital' audio only have one active at a time.)

The application is to run a DD connection to my amp with the optical, but also use the analog, since I use wireless headphones sometimes, and my amp won't output optical inputs out on the L/R outputs.. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2004, 01:11 PM   #862
JayDog
Yeah, Baby!

I have optical running to an A/V receiver, and red/white analog running to the TV... I've never had a reason too, but I'm pretty sure both output from the HD-TiVo at the same time.

(Sometimes I don't turn on the A/V receiver, and just use the TV speakers... but not too often.. )
JayDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:41 PM   #863
feldon23
MythBuster

Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
My suggestion is that all show-specific content be deleted from the this FAQ and a link be entered to the AVS HD Programming Links Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=346761

Is there a reason to duplicate research and content? I think this is the place for unique TiVo content but HD TV content that's at AVS? I don't see the point, IMO.
Maybe because TiVo users don't want to get buried in the very technical AVS Forum just to find out basic information about why they should buy an HDTiVo?

Last edited by feldon23 : 12-02-2004 at 01:52 PM.
feldon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:05 PM   #864
botcher

Both analog and optical work simultaneously. IIRC, the only issue is the ping-pong type sound effects when using the remote in the menus. These sounds only go out the analog RCA ports. I recall seeing my AV receiver switch to analog when no AC-3 stream is present (like when going into a menu after watching a recorded Dolby Digital show), then hearing the tones. Yet, if I maneuver quickly enough to get out of the menus before the AV receiver switches back to analog, I never hear the tones.

The tones have also served as a reminder that I left the TV volume up when I didn't want it! But, YES, you can hear the show's audio content out the analog at the same time as the digital output.

Eric
botcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:25 PM   #865
leesweet
TC Special Member

Eric, thanks for the info. I've got it hooked up with both optical and analog, and it appears to be working fine. Good to know it's not either/or!
Old 12-02-2004, 05:27 PM   #866
leesweet
TC Special Member

Quote:
Maybe because TiVo users don't want to get buried in the very technical AVS Forum just to find out basic information about why they should buy an HDTiVo?
Well, the point wasn't about 'technical' information but just linking to *one* thread that has the current show information, because that, as several people have stated is quite out of date at the top. Was just trying to save you from having to update that information all the time.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:28 PM   #867
leesweet
TC Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JayDog
I have optical running to an A/V receiver, and red/white analog running to the TV... I've never had a reason too, but I'm pretty sure both output from the HD-TiVo at the same time.

(Sometimes I don't turn on the A/V receiver, and just use the TV speakers... but not too often.. )
Hm, that's a better reason for both to work at the same time.. I hope that's why they made it that way.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:52 AM   #868
Budget_HT
Heavy User (of TiVo)

Quote:
Originally posted by botcher
Both analog and optical work simultaneously. IIRC, the only issue is the ping-pong type sound effects when using the remote in the menus. These sounds only go out the analog RCA ports. I recall seeing my AV receiver switch to analog when no AC-3 stream is present (like when going into a menu after watching a recorded Dolby Digital show), then hearing the tones. Yet, if I maneuver quickly enough to get out of the menus before the AV receiver switches back to analog, I never hear the tones.

The tones have also served as a reminder that I left the TV volume up when I didn't want it! But, YES, you can hear the show's audio content out the analog at the same time as the digital output.

Eric
My understanding of when the "bong" tones can be heard is slightly different.

I only have the optical output of my HD TiVo connected to my A/V receiver.

When HD programs are or have last been playing, I do not hear any tones. When SD programs are or have last been playing, I always hear the tones (again, via the optical/digital output).

My understanding is that the HD TiVo (and my HDVR2 SD DirecTV with TiVo) can play the "bong" tones through the digital audio output, UNLESS the digital audio is Dolby Digital/AC-3. In that case, no tones are heard.

All ATSC OTA HD programs are Dolby Digital (even if they are only offering stereo content), so no tones. I believe the same is true for all DirecTV HD channels.

Nearly all DirecTV SD channels are NOT Dolby Digital/AC-3, so the tones are heard.

Finally, a series 1 DirecTiVo (like my Sony SAT-T60) cannot send any tones over the optical/digital output, ever.

I have not tested whether tones can be heard over the analog audio outputs when the source program is Dolby Digital/AC-3.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:28 AM   #869
leesweet
TC Special Member

I believe the menu said that 'no tones will be heard when DD is being recorded' or close to that, which is all the time you are watching DD shows, so that agrees with Dave's analysis.

I assume tones are going over the analog, as others reported, since I've got both wired, and I hear tones all the time on OTA, etc.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:07 PM   #870
odrybenj

Hi
thanks for this well documented page on Tivo and DirecTv. I also read your epic story about TiVO and SBC direcTV. I was wondering in the case of HD if you have met anyone with a similar case: triple LNB on the dish stacked together and going out of one plug in the wall.

Is this possible first, and how would you deal with that? I live in a complex with MDU, and they charge a lot to activate HD, so I am looking for other options. If the signals from the 3 LNBs are stacked together, there might be a way to separate them.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
odrybenj is offline   Reply With Quote