TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2004, 05:40 PM   #781
mrmrlawrence

Solution

Gents:

With your help, I was able to narrow the problem to the destacker. After a couple e-mail exchanges with Mark McCorkle at 9th tee, he had me check the DC voltage of the incoming signal. He concluded it was very low, and may not be passing signal appropriately. He also stated that in his experience, he has never had a problem with a Sonora dual destacker.

Sure enough, I called a service technician out, and while he had no idea what was wrong, I suggested we put a line amp in, and voila, both transponder sides and the Tivo works as you would expect.

Of course the technician did not realize that he could not put the line amp before the destacker because he effectively cut off my terrestrial antennae, but I am off to home depot to pick up a second line amp and to rectify the situation.

My sincere thanks.
mrmrlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 07:43 PM   #782
lrreynolds

Great Faq. Glad you mentioned that you can toggle video formats using the up arrow since I hadn't figured that out and kept having to resort to pushing the button on the front panel to toggle the outputs. It might be worth mentioning that this will ONLY work if you set the up arrow video formats under the video settings since the default state is no toggling.
lrreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 03:53 AM   #783
jprall

Format Change with Remote

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
Some time ago when that picture was first posted and I exclaimed how bad it is if there were no codes for it, someone chimed in saying there was a control on the remote to toggle through them. No word on if there's discrete codes to select a specific format (which I would really seriously hope they provide).
You can indeed use the remote to cycle through 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080. The button you use is the up arrow on the remote.

In a settings menu buried deep in there is where you can turn on and off choices. So if you only want to flip between 720p and 1080i you can do that by then clicking up twice on the remote thus skipping the 480 modes.
jprall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:32 PM   #784
RC3105
tortured genius

Q: can I install tivoweb / caller id / whatever on my HR10-250?

old answer:

yes, but you have to have the prom chip replaced first and that voids your warrenty

new answer:

sure, just do a google search for deal, database, exploit and bounty for details of the software to use

subs cancelled due to rebate fraud - 56 units / 19 accounts

lifetime boxes fleabay'd - 11
RC3105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 08:23 AM   #785
Ramy

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
Most will; those that want to let another device do stretching on 4:3 material would more than likely be the ones needing to switch between format.

The same would apply to those that want another device to handle the output format conversions for 16:9 material, though I'd expect there'd be less benefit for most people over just letting the HD DVR do it.

As an example, my Fujitsu P50 plasma display can do non-linear stretching on 480i and 480p signals only; so unless I want to watch all 4:3 material with sidebars or linearly stretched (and I don't), I'll be switching formats depending on the source material that was recorded.
I have just the opposite problem. I have a 4:3 television and all HD material on my HD Tivo is stretched up and down. I don't have an option to put bars at the top and bottom while viewing 1080i. I do have the option when viewing 480i or 480p which sees stupid to me why would you want to do that? I am getting my box replaced because I keep losing the satellite one input on the box, so maybe it was a problem with the box after all. If someone else had this problem let me know, thanks.
Ramy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 08:45 PM   #786
jlas75

HDMI video is NOT working on my DirecTV HR10-250 DirecTV with TiVo...Sysytem information says it's "not connected"...

Component video works. Is anyone else experiencing this problem with HDMI? Any suggestions on how to fix this? I have the Pioneer Elite PRO 530 HDI

Last edited by jlas75 : 08-15-2004 at 08:53 PM.
jlas75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 01:51 PM   #787
feldon23
MythBuster

There's like a six page HDMI topic right here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=183203
Old 08-17-2004, 06:03 PM   #788
neildallas

The same thing happened to me a month or so ago. I shipped the unit back AND kept the receipt. After I sat around for 20 minutes waiting to a human being, they agreed with me and did credit my account correctly.

Another example of incompetence or ....
Old 08-22-2004, 03:29 PM   #789
bdraw

Quote:
Originally posted by RC3105
sure, just do a google search for deal, database, exploit and bounty for details of the software to use
Or just try yahoo groups, for friendly discussions.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 07:51 PM   #790
duffboy

Cable TV as Antenna in?

I have basic cable tv service of which I can get their local HD channels unscrambled. My HDTV has a built in tuner and picks them up. The HDTivo can't find them via the antenna in. Is there any way to force the tivo to tune them?

It's great that I can see them without an antenna but would be even better if I can record them!

So far HDMI is working...
duffboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 08:35 PM   #791
maharg18

Re: Cable TV as Antenna in?

Quote:
Originally posted by duffboy
I have basic cable tv service of which I can get their local HD channels unscrambled. My HDTV has a built in tuner and picks them up. The HDTivo can't find them via the antenna in. Is there any way to force the tivo to tune them?

It's great that I can see them without an antenna but would be even better if I can record them!

So far HDMI is working...
HDTivo receives ATSC over-the-air signals.. Cable HD signals are QAM, which the Tivo cannot receive.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:54 PM   #792
duffboy

Quote:
HDTivo receives ATSC over-the-air signals.. Cable HD signals are QAM, which the Tivo cannot receive.
Thanks. I knew the answer was probably no but thought I would ask anyway. Over the air I go...
duffboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:42 PM   #793
hookbill
Feathered Member

I have a question about the channels that broadcast in 720p. I believe I saw someplace in here that ESPN HD and FOX are the only two. Is this still the current status or has that changed? The reason I ask is I have never seen anything in 720p, I can set my machine up for it but I only use 1020i. It seems to work fine on ESPN HD. Am I missing something here? I'm a bit confused, I do understand the two different types of broadcast but how can I know what stations are broadcasting in what format?
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 03:04 PM   #794
Tom in OH

Hi hookbill,

The HDTivo will upconvert to or passthru a 1080i signal (and 720p, 480p/i). There is no 'native mode' which switches output format based on input format. This would be a nice feature for some displays.

You're right about ESPN HD & Fox. They're the only 720p stations that I know of. You could set the HDTivo to output 720P and then those 2 stations would passthru 720P giving you a chance to see how 720P looks on your display. All other stations will up or downconvert to 720P. You probably knew all this.

AFAIK, there's no way to know what format the HDTivo's receiving.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:32 PM   #795
hookbill
Feathered Member

Thanks Tom, that answered my question. You assumed and rightfully so as we were in the TiVo forum I was talking about HD TiVo receiver. In fact I have cable and their HD/DVR. But the same rules apply. Actually since everything else comes in 1080i the only one I need to switch formats for would be ESPN since I don't get FOX anyway. Well, not in HD.

I find that watching all regular broadcast works fine in 420i. So I'll just use the three settings and keep it simple.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:53 PM   #796
Flee

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom in OH
Hi hookbill,

The HDTivo will upconvert to or passthru a 1080i signal (and 720p, 480p/i). There is no 'native mode' which switches output format based on input format. This would be a nice feature for some displays.

You're right about ESPN HD & Fox. They're the only 720p stations that I know of. You could set the HDTivo to output 720P and then those 2 stations would passthru 720P giving you a chance to see how 720P looks on your display. All other stations will up or downconvert to 720P. You probably knew all this.

AFAIK, there's no way to know what format the HDTivo's receiving.
Is there any difference in the quality of the picture if your HD Tivo is set at 1080i and you let it upconvert ESPN HD from 720p to 1080i? In other words, do I have to manually change the HD Tivo's output to 720p when viewing ESPN HD for the best possible picture?
Hughes SD Tivo [SD-DVR80]
Samsung SD Tivo [SIR-S4040R]
Sony KDF-60XBR950 60" LCD RPTV
Bose LifeStyle 38 System
Flee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 08:58 PM   #797
Tom in OH

Quote:
Originally posted by Flee
Is there any difference in the quality of the picture if your HD Tivo is set at 1080i and you let it upconvert ESPN HD from 720p to 1080i? In other words, do I have to manually change the HD Tivo's output to 720p when viewing ESPN HD for the best possible picture?
If your tv will accept and display 720P then the picture quality might be better if u manually switched to 720P output on the HDTivo for ESPN HD & Fox. Some tvs that accept 720P will convert 720P to 1080i internally so for those it probably wouldn't matter(my Sony rptv does this). It's easy to set the HDTivo remote to switch formats. Try both formats on ESPN HD & Fox(ota) and let us know which looks better.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:18 PM   #798
Budget_HT
Heavy User (of TiVo)

ABC was the first network to go 720p. But, I have heard that some of their local affiliates are actually broadcasting in 1080i (converting ABC 720p network feeds to 1080i for local broadcast).

Here in Seattle, the local affiliate KOMO-DT does broadcast in 720p on the main digital channel.

ESPN-HD is a newbie compared to their cousin ABC. FOX is getting ready for 720p and true HD programming, but they are not there yet. Our local Fox affiliate is currently broadcasting in 1080i. I don't know what their plans might be to switch to 720p broadcasting.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:36 PM   #799
Tom in OH

Quote:
Originally posted by Budget_HT

ESPN-HD is a newbie compared to their cousin ABC.
oh yes, forgot about ABC, thx Budget_HT. I'm looking forward to "Alias" in HD this fall on ABC ota.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:45 AM   #800
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Budget_HT
ABC was the first network to go 720p. But, I have heard that some of their local affiliates are actually broadcasting in 1080i (converting ABC 720p network feeds to 1080i for local broadcast).

Here in Seattle, the local affiliate KOMO-DT does broadcast in 720p on the main digital channel.

ESPN-HD is a newbie compared to their cousin ABC. FOX is getting ready for 720p and true HD programming, but they are not there yet. Our local Fox affiliate is currently broadcasting in 1080i. I don't know what their plans might be to switch to 720p broadcasting.
Huh? I thought we just discussed that and it was decided that FOX and ESPN only broadcast on 720p. Now your saying ABC does too? And local stations may convert?

moan.....feel head starting to spin
Old 09-01-2004, 09:31 AM   #801
Tom in OH

hookbill,
are u using an ota antenna to pickup Cleveland digital stations?
Old 09-01-2004, 10:03 AM   #802
hookbill
Feathered Member

No, I'm just receiving off of Adelphia Cable. I only get ABC and NBC for local hd.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:28 PM   #803
Tom in OH

Just called Adelphia and 5 transfers later, the rep confirmed Adelphia passes thru the ABC 720P signal unchanged. It depends on the display type but I'd say this is a good thing. A progressive signal is usually a higher quality signal especially if it's not converted.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:30 PM   #804
hookbill
Feathered Member

Interesting. You are indeed a patient man, I hate calling adelphia for just about anything. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:03 AM   #805
hookbill
Feathered Member

I was curious how my TV handled 720p if I have my cable box at 1050i. The Sony representative I got on the phone told me NO ONE broadcast in 720p. I told him I had heard different, that I knew for a fact that FOX and ESPN broadcast in 720p. He said he hadn't heard that, but it didn't make a difference because you wouldn't see any difference in the picture.

I have to admit, no matter what format I watch either ESPN, FOX, or ABC they all appear exactly the same. I notice no difference if I watch it in 1080i or 720p.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:10 AM   #806
lrreynolds

Quote:
Originally posted by feldon23
Please let me know if there are any mistakes/oversights in this FAQ.
Great FAQ. I would suggest adding a section with the currently/planned HD channels that are offered from DTV as opposed to OTA channels that may be available in some markets if you have an antenna. I started a thread yesterday because I had heard that NBC and FOX were coming online soon and was able to compile the following list that may be useful to others.

70 HBOH duplicated on 509
71 SHOH duplicated on 543
73 ESPH
74 BRVH
76 DSHD
78 HDNM
79 HDN
80 CBSE
81 CBSW
82 NBCE Scheduled 9/16/04
83 NBCW Scheduled 9/16/04
86 ABCE Not planned
87 ABCW Not planned
88 FOX Scheduled ??????
89 FOXW Scheduled ??????
91-97 NFL Ticket
99 PPVH
Old 09-13-2004, 07:27 PM   #807
caunguyen

It depends on your TV. Basically, the TV will do the 1/1 map to its native resolution. If your TV native resolution is 720p, 720p source will look better than 1080i source since there is no conversion needed. How much better is very subjective. I notice that if the screen is big (>60), you can see the difference. For smaller set, it's hard to tell. Another difference is the amount of overscan. If source and display resolution matches, there is virtually no overscan. Otherwise, you can lose a small part of your picture due to overscan. Does that matter much? probably not for majority of people.

CN
Quote:
Originally posted by hookbill
I was curious how my TV handled 720p if I have my cable box at 1050i. The Sony representative I got on the phone told me NO ONE broadcast in 720p. I told him I had heard different, that I knew for a fact that FOX and ESPN broadcast in 720p. He said he hadn't heard that, but it didn't make a difference because you wouldn't see any difference in the picture.

I have to admit, no matter what format I watch either ESPN, FOX, or ABC they all appear exactly the same. I notice no difference if I watch it in 1080i or 720p.

caunguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:36 PM   #808
Todd76

Quote:
Originally posted by lrreynolds
Great FAQ. I would suggest adding a section with the currently/planned HD channels that are offered from DTV
I would suggest visiting the AVS Forum for this information:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=34
Todd76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:54 PM   #809
llogan

I think the FAQ needs to be updated. Currently it shows NHL content in HD being available on HDNet and ESPN. That should probably be changed to "No content to be broadcast until the players get their respective heads out of their butts"
1xRCA DTC100 HD Receiver
3x35 hour Hughes HDVR2 DirecTivo 3.1
1x225 hour Philips DirecTivo 3.1
3x35 hour Philips DirecTivos 3.1
1x35 hour Series 2 Philips DirecTivo 3.1 DSR 7000
1x35 hour Sony SAT-T60 2.5
Tivo soldier since 12/99
llogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 09:03 PM   #810
lrreynolds

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd76
I would suggest visiting the AVS Forum for this information:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=34
I did and it is not very clear what exactly D* is offering in HD vs. what can be recieved in HD over the air. For those of us who cannot recieve OTA braodcasts or who do not have or want antenna it would be nice to have a concise and up to date list of what can rbe recieved from D*. Especially since channels like Fox are not available from D* but are available in some markets OTA and D* doesn't always give you all the channels to which you are entitled unless you specifically request them and are eligible. CBSE/W and NBCE/W are two that I had to request and only did so because I realized HD programming was available vs my local channels which are in Denver.

BTW the list that AVS does have is inaccurate.