TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #31
JimSpence
Just hangin'

Get a universal remote that has timer functions. Set a timer on the remote to send whatever command to wake up the box. Have it do this once an hour.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:59 PM   #32
adclass

Thumbs up Just bought 322

I just bought a 322 receiver and I am planing on hooking it up to my tivo DVD recorder, I read all the threads and thank everyone for the good info on their problems . I was wonder how to hook it up correctly with out problems. I was thinking of buying a A/B switch because my tv only has one set of inputs. Any other problem that might come up would be nice to know before hooking up. thank you.
adclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:07 PM   #33
starshyne18

I have the 322 tuner (GOD, how i hate it!). I had a LOT of problems getting the Tivo hooked up to begin with. Now, I'm having the same problem with the "select" screen. I can turn off the automatic updates on tv 2 no problem. Unforunately, Tivo is set up to tv 1. tv 1's dish remote no longer works (well, it still turns the tv on and off, but the 322 doesn't recognize it anymore). is there a way to turn off the updates through tv 2?
starshyne18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:47 AM   #34
JimSpence
Just hangin'

You might also want to ask in the Dish Network section of DBS Talk.
http://www.dbstalk.com/index.php?
Old 08-25-2006, 02:45 PM   #35
cedarrapidsboy

Lightbulb Create a "Manual" TiVO Recording

I'm a 322 sufferer as well. I've used the 23.5 hour VCR timer with some luck, but was getting upset when my wonderful B-grade SciFi movies were being interrupted by the bouncing logo. So that would not happen, just as I get into the good parts of "The Ice Cream Man", I set up a manual TiVO recording.

Typically (with the exception of Cartoon Network programming and others) the shortest program you'll be recording is 30 minutes. You know when your VCR timer (on the 322) is gonna kick. So, just setup a timed TiVO recording for every night at that same time, for 30 minutes. Move it to the top of the Season Pass list. Now, every night, you will record 30 minutes of the bouncing logo. But, do it at basic quality, of course. You still record that logo junk, but at least you've quarantined it.

Since I have done this, I haven't been surprised by the screen saver during a late night program I really need to watch (see: "Miner's Massacre").

Now, how can the TiVO manual timer help my Dish signal get through dense cloud cover???
cedarrapidsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:42 PM   #36
BruceDeVries

Dish 522 box with Tivo suggestion.

I have a 522 and we check it every morning to see if the screen saver is on. We discovered that the Dish box uses the update time even with updates turned off to do program updates and diagnostics. We picked a time in the morning just before leaving for work and that seems to work out. Now that Tivo has won its suit against EchoStar and the recording functions will be disabled things will go more smoothly. We are hoping for a Dish cxabel card that will work with the Tivo HD box as a future solution, but have no news on that front.
BruceDeVries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:53 PM   #37
loyoladoc

Arrow

please forgive my "ignorant" questions, as i'm a complete amateur in this game.

i hooked up my TIVO to my 322 dish yesterday. the bouncing logo is a huge problem. i don't know what you guys are talking about regarding using a "VCR timer for 23 hours." does this mean i need to have a VCR hooked up to my TV as well? and i have to record something for 23 hours? wouldn't the tape run out??

sorry, i realize these are basic questions, but i really have no idea what's going on. all i understand is that dish needs to do a nightly update, which i've disabled. also, i understand that the screensaver comes on after 4 hours of inactivity. the dish people told me to set up a timer on the dish to have it change channels to avoid the inactivity problem. but what if i set a timer on the dish for 4am, to change to channel 5 for example, and i also have tivo set to record a program at 4am (on a different channel). won't this mess up my tivo recording?

this is way too complicated. i am thisclose to giving up and returning my tivo for a dish DVR
loyoladoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:03 PM   #38
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyoladoc
i hooked up my TIVO to my 322 dish yesterday. the bouncing logo is a huge problem. i don't know what you guys are talking about regarding using a "VCR timer for 23 hours." does this mean i need to have a VCR hooked up to my TV as well? and i have to record something for 23 hours? wouldn't the tape run out??
No, a VCR timer is a timer on the 322 that changes a channel at a certain time, so that a VCR (which has no IR blasters) can be useful.

Quote:
but what if i set a timer on the dish for 4am, to change to channel 5 for example, and i also have tivo set to record a program at 4am (on a different channel). won't this mess up my tivo recording?
Yes, so you won't be able to record things that are only on at 4AM.

Quote:
this is way too complicated. i am thisclose to giving up and returning my tivo for a dish DVR
And you think tivo is a hassle with dish network? Just wait until you get their DVR.

My solution to the 322 problem: don't use one. I've been happily using the Dish 301 for years.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #39
loyoladoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZikZak
No, a VCR timer is a timer on the 322 that changes a channel at a certain time, so that a VCR (which has no IR blasters) can be useful.

Yes, so you won't be able to record things that are only on at 4AM.

And you think tivo is a hassle with dish network? Just wait until you get their DVR.

My solution to the 322 problem: don't use one. I've been happily using the Dish 301 for years.
thanks for your response.

another question: is a "VCR timer" just the timer that's part of the sat dish itself, that comes up when i go under menu:timers:create timer. and this is what people set to last for 23 hours a day, which then "disables" the screen saver??

thanks.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:31 PM   #40
dkh7m

does anyone know if this is an issue w/ other DN boxes, or just the 322? i just got a pair of 381s yesterday, but i don't know if i'm going to experience the same thing.
dkh7m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:53 PM   #41
loyoladoc

so i set up a 23-hour VCR timer to try and avoid the screensaver thing. my question is this: will having a VCR timer on still allow TIVO to change the channel for my recordings? and also, once TIVO does change the channel, is the VCR timer still active? (so that it can revert back into "timer phase" after the recording is over, ensuring that the SS doesn't come back)
Old 09-17-2006, 10:53 PM   #42
Cloud415

I am having the hardest time hooking up my tivo to my DN 322 receiver. I have no idea where to hook up my IR blasters?? I've tried everything and nothing works. I can't change the chanel!!

I know that it can be done because all of you have done it...i just feel so dumb 'cause i can't figuere it out

I've conected AV cables going to the tivo to DN receiver, AV cables foing to Tivo to TV, and a S cable going to tivo to DN receiver and the IR cable going into the IR control out. I have the blaster located on the left bulb of the tree bulbs (that can all be IR, for all I know).

Thanks
Cloud415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:34 PM   #43
loyoladoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud415
I am having the hardest time hooking up my tivo to my DN 322 receiver. I have no idea where to hook up my IR blasters?? I've tried everything and nothing works. I can't change the chanel!!

I know that it can be done because all of you have done it...i just feel so dumb 'cause i can't figuere it out

I've conected AV cables going to the tivo to DN receiver, AV cables foing to Tivo to TV, and a S cable going to tivo to DN receiver and the IR cable going into the IR control out. I have the blaster located on the left bulb of the tree bulbs (that can all be IR, for all I know).

Thanks
i would try calling tivo customer service. i had a lot of problems when i was setting up my tivo, including not getting channel changing to work, and they were very helpful. walked me through every single step and it all ended up working.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #44
EricScottReed

In short, you must disable the Inactivity Power Off Mode. (I have the Dish 301/entry level receiver, but I can’t imagine that the functions are all that different from the 322):

1. Menu
2. Option 6 - System Setup
3. Option 1 - Installation
4. Option 2 – Inactivity Power Off
5. Select Disable
6. Save and then you’ll have to select “Cancel” three times to return to regular TV!

Good luck everyone! ZikZak, my 301 just started going into Inactivity Power Mode automatically around the beginning of November; yours didn’t?
EricScottReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:41 AM   #45
mrmailer

I have a 322, I did not see "Inactivity power off" anywhere?

I turned off daily updates, is that all I needed to do? Do the 4 hr screen savers still come on?
mrmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:19 PM   #46
analisa_roche
Tivo Newbie

mrmailer, I have a new 322 and I can't find that option either. However, I just did the VCR timer instead and it worked great for me.
analisa_roche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:18 AM   #47
jon-w9

Just got my 322 this weekend and I am experiencing the bemoaned "select" screen during my recordings.

It has been over a month, is the 23.5 hr. VCR timer still the way to go? I tried menu 6-1-2 and it was setting for call waiting.

So if my 322 dials at 3:30, I should start the timer at 4 and end around 3:15? I will give it a shot. If I disable the update call, will I be charged the $5 fee?

Sorry for the newb dish questions.

Last edited by jon-w9 : 04-02-2007 at 08:14 AM.
jon-w9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #48
jb_owen

Tivo hasn't provided a workaround since January 2004???

Hi folks.

To use a term I saw in this thread, I am now also a "322/522 sufferer". I switched my service over last week and have been annoyed with the Dish Receiver's screensaver like countless others.

I see this issue has been reported back in January 2004 if not earlier. It is amazing (and disappointing) that Tivo has not provided the trivial fix/workaround of supporting the option to transmit the "Select" signal to the satellite receiver.

That said, I am now looking to implement the workaround. I see mention of the 23.5 hour VCR records but despite my efforts to search the thread, I did not find a definitive description of what needs to be done (most likely I missed it).

Is the intention to have the Dish's DVR literally record a full 23.5 hours of programming? My Tivo is located downstairs and is dedicated to kid programming. I don't want to fill up the Dish DVR with 23.5 hour recordings since I am using that for grown-up programming.

If anyone can provide a specific description of the 23.5 workaround that would be great.

As to Tivo, it is far superb in its user-interface (my 4 year old has no trouble operating it). This is in sharp contrast to the HORRIBLE user interface of the Dish 322/522 receiver. I don't think they could have done a worse job from a user-interface design.

Perhaps we should ALL commit to calling Tivo's customer support once a week until our cry is heard and support for the SELECT button is added??

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Jonathan Owen
jb_owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #49
JimSpence
Just hangin'

From the Compatibility thread.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=128743
Quote:
DISH 322/522: EchoStar 10001-Fast

Be sure the receiver is set to remote address 1.

al_bburn writes “All seems to work ok with one very irritating exception. The 322 schedules a daily call to get program guide information and check for software updates. When its done, it power cycles itself and instead of just going to a channel, it displays 'Press Select to Continue'. Grrrrrrr. Tivo cannot change the channel because it cannot press select.”

Peterod has found the following workaround: “I have the 322 set for a 4am update connection. […] What I did was add a daily timer to ‘AutoTune’ the 322 to any sub'ed channel at 5am. The 322 is tuned at that time to the selected timer and the ‘Select Button’ screen is reset.” If both of the 322's tuners are being used with TiVo, apply the workaround to both.

gl9500 posts a wealth of other helpful DISH 322 tips, including dealing with potential screensaver issues. chuckdfoster reports that for DISH 522s, AutoTune (see previous paragraph) works around the screensaver issue.

Another suggestion is to disable the daily updates and always leave the receiver on.
I think what they are saying is to schedule a 5 minute recording early in the morning to essentially wake up the receiver.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #50
chopperhead2

Ok guys, new user here. I have the 332 reciever with tivo series 2. It works togrether fine except for the screen saver that makes tivo record that instead of the show it`s programmed to. I don`t have a vcr hooked up so how would the timer work? I looked into it and it wants a manufacturer code from the vcr. What I`m trying to do is record a show for my daughter that airs at 6:30am but nobody is up at that time to make sure the screen saver is off. After about 7:30 we are up and usually have to hit the select button. I`m very new to this stuff so what exactly do I need to do to get everything working correctly? By the way, I have the tivo hooked up only on tv1 and not on tv2 so that it only records from that tv.
chopperhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:21 PM   #51
val&brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyoladoc
so i set up a 23-hour VCR timer to try and avoid the screensaver thing. my question is this: will having a VCR timer on still allow TIVO to change the channel for my recordings? and also, once TIVO does change the channel, is the VCR timer still active? (so that it can revert back into "timer phase" after the recording is over, ensuring that the SS doesn't come back)
After reading everything I could possibily find about this issue. loyoladoc has asked the exact question I have. If the timer is active at 4am on channel 101, then I watch TV at 9am on channel 107, then leave the house for 6 hrs. Will the Screen Saver come back on?

I too just purchased a Tivo and need to decide if it's getting returned or not. This is a deal breaker for me, not to mention not having NHL season pass game information too (but I can deal with that, I guess)
val&brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #52
dstreelm

Solution that works for me...

After getting my new 322 from dish and setting it up, I too was getting frustrated with the "Press Select to continue" problem. After reading many posts on the subject, i tried the VCR auto tune trick which worked ok, but i would still sometimes get the screensaver. I've modified that system, its a little clunky and annoying to set up, but it seems to work so far.

First, i set the 322 to contact the service at 3:30. Then i set up 6 VCR timers. The first for 3:59 am ( i set all of the timers to tune to channel 101). the next for 7:59 am, the next for 11:59 am and so on for afternoon too. So every 4 hours, one minute before the hour, the 322 automatically tunes to 101 and starts playing. The only downside is that if you are recording say a program from 7:00 to 8:00 am, the last minute would be cut off. Ditto for any recordings that you specify to end late. Setting up the 6 timers is a bit tedious however.

This method has so far been successful for me, if you give it a try, let me know your results.

Good Luck 322 owners!
dstreelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #53
Adam1115
20,000!!!

I never had any problems with just one auto-tune...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:55 PM   #54
travisl

Chatting with Dish about 322

I've had the auto-tune trick running for about a year now, and it's worked great. I only see the "press select to continue" on my non-Tivo TV now. However, once every 6 weeks or so, I see a recording where the Tivo changes the channel, the 322 receiver gets the change, and although the audio changes to the new channel, the video is blank except for the Dish Network banner showing that the channel change was successful. I asked Dish about this tonight in a chat (edited slightly):

Quote:
Dish: Thank you for choosing Dish Network the leader in DVR and HD. How may I assist you?
TravisL: Hi, [redacted]. I've got a 322 receiver, and several months ago, I called tech support, because I had audio but no video...
TravisL: Their solution was to unplug and replug in the receiver, and that worked...
Dish: I am very sorry to hear that. I would be happy to assist you.
TravisL: However, I've had to do that four times since then, and I'm wondering if there's something I can do to prevent this from happening, or if the receiver is defective.
TravisL: It looks like it only happens when changing a channel.
Dish: This can be resolved by turning the receiver off at night.
TravisL: Hmmm... that's not gonna work too well, because I have a DVR hooked up to it that needs it to be on to record programs overnight. Any other ideas?
TravisL: Or can you explain why this happens, so I could predict it and kind of know in advance?
Dish: That is why it keeps happening. The receiver does periodically need to be tuned off.
TravisL: If I were to turn it off once a week or so, would that prevent it? How long would it need to stay off?
Dish: That might resolve the issue. I would defiantly try that.
TravisL: Would it be just a quick power off/power on, or would it need to be off for a longer time?
Dish: I would says at least for 10 mins.
So, I figure that doing this once every couple of weeks will work.
travisl is offline   Reply With Quote