TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2008, 11:11 PM   #1
cowboyshootist

Can't get Tivo Networking Configured

We recently switched over to Verizon's FIOS service and as a result I had to reprogram all my wireless devices for the new router.

I have a Tivo HD and a Series 2 Tivo. I was able to get the THD working properly but had some trouble with the Series 2. To make a long story short I incorrectly entered the new network information and now cannot connect to my wireless router. I am able to connect to a neighbors router and connect to the service but I would rather use my own network for obvious reasons.

I'll try to summarize the issues.

Old network SSID was CLARK. I made new network SSID CLARK as well but had not powered off the old router, possible confusing Tivo. Went into the Tivo Network settings and attempted to change my WEP passcode. I didn't get this right the first time. I finally got it right but Tivo could not get IP address from DHCP on router. Tivo said it could not locate DHCP server. Eventually I turned off old router leaving new router operational. I also changed SSID to CLARKFIOS with no luck.

Somewhere along the way I decided to "Create New Network" thinking this would reset the configuration. What appears to have happened is that Tivo tried to create an Ad-Hoc network using the same SSID as my router (changed it back to CLARK). Tivo still cannot get IP address and I see no way to "delete" the CLARK network from Tivo so that I can start all over. When looking at Tivo Network status it shows connected to CLARK, Ad-Hoc, 100% signal.

Even when I went back to Network settings and entered new SSID (CLARK) along with new WEP passcode Tivo could not get DHCP IP address. I seem stuck in a loop here and cant' get Tivo to set Network settings properly.

I reset Tivo and even went back into Guideed Setup with no luck. Any ideas on how to get Tivo to recognize new Router and network?

Thanks

Last edited by cowboyshootist : 02-23-2008 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Solution Found
cowboyshootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
worachj

TiVo can get stubborn with the network stuff. Try breaking the Ad-Hoc connection by connecting to your neighbor’s network again. Then go back and try “Enter your network name” with the SSID from your router. If you still have problems then try disabling encryption on your router and try again. I would keep trying the “Enter your network name” method until you’re able to connect to wireless access point. Good luck.
worachj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
cowboyshootist

Thanks for the response. I'll have to try without encryption and see if that works. I've tried just about everything at this point. It might be an incompatability between the LInksys USB Network adapter and the new router. Oddly my HD Tivo with the "Tivo" network adapter works just fine.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
dorian
Resident Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyshootist View Post
Thanks for the response. I'll have to try without encryption and see if that works. I've tried just about everything at this point. It might be an incompatability between the LInksys USB Network adapter and the new router. Oddly my HD Tivo with the "Tivo" network adapter works just fine.
For grins, try using the "Tivo" network adapter on your Series 2 box and see if that allows the other box to get back on the network by itself. If so, maybe having two "Tivo" network adapters will do the job.
dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
cowboyshootist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian View Post
For grins, try using the "Tivo" network adapter on your Series 2 box and see if that allows the other box to get back on the network by itself. If so, maybe having two "Tivo" network adapters will do the job.
You're reading my mind. I was going to try that this afternoon just to see if it's an adapter issue or still a Tivo issue. I probably should get a new USB adapter anyway as the one on the problem machine is only 802.11b.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
cowboyshootist

Solution Found- After trying just about everything I could think of I finally reinstalled my Linksys router and removed the Verizon supplied Actiontec router. The Linksys WUSB wireless usb adapter had no problem connecting to the Linksys wireless router. I can only conclude that there is a problem with the Actiontec router.

I may try the Tivo USB adapter on my Series 2 to see if that will work. I am currently using one on my Tivo HD with no problems. Maybe the Actiontec doesn't like mixing 11g and 11b although it is configured for mixed at the moment.