TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #151
ragnrok23

green scrambled screen

I have had a scrambled cable signal with a green tint to it 3 times in the past month. The first two times, I unplugged the Tivo and plugged it back in, the third time, I just went to the tivo menu, then went back to live TV and everything was OK. Any ideas what this could be? I've only had the box for 2 months and have a 3 year commitment, so I want to make sure I have a working box...........
ragnrok23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:07 PM   #152
substance12

brand new tivo hd

I have a brand new tivo hd and after I had my CC's installed I reran guided setup and it rebooted in the middle. I didn't think anything of it then later that night as I was moving my entertainment center around it rebooted again... which I thought was something I did. the next day I turn on my tivo and noticed my 30 sec skip was no longer working... which to me means it rebooted and reset itself while I was away.

I have none of the skipping/stuttering issues. presumably this is brand spankin new. Would a better surge protector work?
substance12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #153
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by substance12 View Post
the next day I turn on my tivo and noticed my 30 sec skip was no longer working... which to me means it rebooted and reset itself while I was away.
That could be true if you new TivoHD is still running 8.x. With 9.x that setting sticks. You'll have to use the clock S-P-S-9-S to keep an eye on it.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #154
substance12

how do i check if i'm running 8 vs 9?
I would have assumed that since my unit is new and I just did a guided setup (which I assume to give me the latest and greatest software updates)... that I would have the latest rev.

I forgot to mention that I also did the clock SPS9S and that disappeared along with the 30 sec skip when I turned on my tivo.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:06 PM   #155
greg_burns
Now in HD

IIRC, it takes two full connects to mother ship before it will download the latest rev. You can force a connect at anytime.

Check your version from Settings->Account & System Information->System Information menu.

You can force connections by going to Settings->Phone & Network->Connect to the Tivo service now. If Last Status says pending restart, reboot immediately (via unplugging) and it will install the update on start up. Or wait, and it will do it automatically at 2am that night.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:56 PM   #156
substance12

just checked it. looks like i'm running v8. It also says pending restart. I'm going to see if it will do it at 5am (the next attempt it lists). It also says the last attempt was last night at 3am... does this mean it tried but could not restart?

I'm weary about just unplugging it. I've read here that that is not good. why would you suggest to unplug vs rebooting via the menu?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #157
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by substance12 View Post
I'm weary about just unplugging it. I've read here that that is not good. why would you suggest to unplug vs rebooting via the menu?
You can reboot via the menu if you choose. But the Tivo's file system seems resilient to corruption from unexpected reboots.

If it says pending restart it will reboot at 2am for the install, regardless of its next phone home time. Unless you reboot prior to.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:39 PM   #158
substance12

well as I was trying to do the shagwell easter egg, it rebooted on its own and installed the 9.2 software. sigh. There seems to be some massive reboot problems in the series 3 forum but my issues aren't quite the same. I don't have any pixelation issues and HD programming isn't forcing any reboots. Mine is literally randomly rebooting on its own. the only commonality I've seen (since i've had it for 3 days) is that it occurs after 8pm.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:39 PM   #159
Cygnus X-1

Wow, this thread needs to be shot, way too long and people are way off topic, this is video playback issues not "My expensive series 3 keeps rebooting".

Anyways I have been having a video playback issue for a while now and I just want to see if I am reading the symptoms right. During video playback I hit points where the video breaks into blocks/pixelates and freezes briefly, the audio also stops at this point. After a moment it starts back up and the pixelation works out once the system gets a new key frame.

Initially I thought it might be the hard drive like everyone else seems to so I took out the 250GB drive I put in my Series2 and ran a full level 4 SpinRite scan. The scan found nothing and there doesn't seem to have been any change. I have since ruled out the hard drive.

I have checked the temp but it tends to run around 40C which shouldn't be an issue.

I have wondered about RAM problems but I have no idea how to test that. I have also considered that Comcast has a crappy D/A converter feeding my neighborhood and that is the problem (I use the Comcast no cable box analog service).

Any suggestions on diagnosing this? If it is a RAM issue I need to start saving up for a new TivoHD. If it is a Comcast issue I need to complain.
Cygnus X-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:21 AM   #160
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus X-1 View Post
Any suggestions on diagnosing this? If it is a RAM issue I need to start saving up for a new TivoHD. If it is a Comcast issue I need to complain.
My expensive S3's external drive was doing that. Pixelation, skipping, etc. Took the drive out, ran diagnostics, it said everything was good. Reconnected drive as new (by divorcing and reinitializing). Worked perfectly since then. Not sure what that means, but I know it wasn't the drive itself.

It was possibly that eSata cable not plugged in firmly, but I find that hard to swallow.

My point since you have an S2? Depends how far you want to go to troubleshoot. I would bite the bullet and get InstantCake and have it reimage your current drive. (You will loose everything though). If it still does it, then get a another drive and try again with IC. If that doesn't solve it either the Tivo hardware is going bad, or you got cable problems. Both pretty difficult to troubleshoot.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:53 PM   #161
MJedi

Hello all,

My S2 (originally 60G; upgraded to two 160GB drives) keeps freezing. I had replaced the drives some months ago because it was freezing then. What steps should I do next? I'm thinking of putting in a fresh TiVo image on a new drive and run it by itself. Good idea? Is it possible that having two 7200RPM drives are causing the freeze, due to the higher power requirement? I don't think it's heat. I'm worried the components inside are going bad... Also, can I use InstantCake to create the new image? Or I can get an image somewhere and install that?

Anyway, thanks.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #162
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJedi View Post
Hello all,

My S2 (originally 60G; upgraded to two 160GB drives) keeps freezing. I had replaced the drives some months ago because it was freezing then. What steps should I do next? I'm thinking of putting in a fresh TiVo image on a new drive and run it by itself. Good idea? Is it possible that having two 7200RPM drives are causing the freeze, due to the higher power requirement? I don't think it's heat. I'm worried the components inside are going bad... Also, can I use InstantCake to create the new image? Or I can get an image somewhere and install that?

Anyway, thanks.
Having two drives in itself shouldn't be a problem, but with cheap large drives now-a-days it doesn't make much sense to use two, IMO.

InstantCake will put a new fresh image on your drive(s). Unfortunately, it will also erase all your settings and recordings as well.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #163
MJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
Having two drives in itself shouldn't be a problem, but with cheap large drives now-a-days it doesn't make much sense to use two, IMO.

InstantCake will put a new fresh image on your drive(s). Unfortunately, it will also erase all your settings and recordings as well.
I had to get 2 drives to replace the old 2 drives because I wanted to keep my recordings. Also, at the time, there was no way to combine 2 drives into one... something to do with partitions. I assume this is still the case?

I'll be using ONE brand new drive for the new image and start from scratch. Is InstantCake required, or can I just use a TiVo image (assuming I can get it) and follow Hinsdale's guide?

Thanks.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #164
InkBlot

HDTivo lockup

I've got a weird issue with my HDTivo I hope y'all can help me with. On fairly rare occasions while watching live TV (one multi-channel card from Time Warner Cable in Dallas), our TiVo will go to a black screen for about 2 minutes. Any button pressed on the remote results in TiVo's "invalid keypress" bonk. After the 2 minutes, sound and image come back on channel 2 (Daystar). An info overlay give details on my prior channel, as the TiVo changes back to it.

It's not quite a reboot, there's no warmup/startup screens. But it's like my TiVo locks me out while it goes back to Ch2...or it's resetting? I'm not sure, and while it's fairly infrequent, it's annoying as heck. I've been digging around here, and haven't seen anything quite like it, any suggestions?

InkBlot
InkBlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #165
InkBlot

Hate to bump this thread, but I'm still hoping someone knows something about my issue in the post above. It's still happening, the latest was last light just as an Emergency Alert System tornado warning was coming on. Makes me wonder if it's the high-pitched frequency triggering some response in my TiVo? I know, I'm grasping here.

InkBlot
InkBlot is offline   Reply With Quote