TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2006, 06:09 AM   #121
richierich
AKA PLASMAMANIAC

A bad power supply can cause similar problems that mimic a bad drive so you might want to do a search on power supply or bad power because I have posted numerous posts on this subject. There is a company that you can send your unit to and they will fix it after they determine exactly what the problem is.
richierich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #122
timckelley
TCFer

Also, I think before replacing a hard drive it's good to test the bad one to confirm it's bad. Sorry you spent all that money on weaknees.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #123
GBIDrugLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley
Also, I think before replacing a hard drive it's good to test the bad one to confirm it's bad. Sorry you spent all that money on weaknees.

It wasn't all bad. I had a 40 hour drive originally, so upgrading to the 160 was nice in and of itself
GBIDrugLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:52 PM   #124
JoelR

Stuttering - Additional cause

I tried resolving my stuttering problem by replacing the drive and found that I still had the same problem. I thought it could then be the power supply or the main board of tivo (per previous posts). Well, I also noticed that my picture on all tv's in the house had a line scrolling up the TV. So, I called the cable company to look into that problem. The display problem turned out to be the need to replace the cable amplifier that boosts the signal (used for when the line is split multiple times). After the amp was replaced I was hopeful the tivo problem would go away as well. At first the problem did not go away but then I tried doing a tivo complete reset and the problem was then resolved. And yes... I tried the tivo reset on the new drive before the amp was replaced and that did not solve the problem. so it appears that the amp caused the tivo stuttering.

I hope this helps others.
JoelR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:43 AM   #125
TypeSDragoon
Irish

I have a series 2 240040, and it has been losing power everyday for the past week. it sounds like it's still on, but is non-responsive with the remote (remote is not the problem).

i have to unplug it and plug it back in. then when its' back up and running i check my to-do list history and it didn't record a few shows due to "loss of power"

is this contributed to hard drive failure? or the power supply?
when it dies, it's still making fan noises/normal noises

thanks all
TypeSDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:45 PM   #126
Ali-G

My Sony TiVO Series 2 has started to act in recent months. It is the reboot issue. Previously it wasnt so bad, but since the 7.3.1 software upgrade, it now reboots every 5 minutes or so. This makes it unusable.

I have another older TiVO box, should I swap the hard-drive in, and see if it solves anything? I dont want to buy a new hard-drive if this is a software issue by TiVO.

I tried the experiments with removing the wireless adapter. In fact, with nothing hooked up to TiVO, except Power, it still reboots constantly.

HELP !!
Ali-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:03 PM   #127
pixelguy

Pixelizaton only on some channels

What about if i have pixelization only on some channels but not others? does that sound like a HD problem still or something else.
the 2nd Tivo in the house displays no problems at all

bill
pixelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:50 AM   #128
valkaz

My mom's TiVo has started with the stuttering and freezing. My brother was apparently on the phone with TiVo for 4 hours on Saturday. They told him that they updated the software and now a lot of people are having trouble with their boxes. They tried a mass assortment of different things, and they told my brother to call back the next day with an update about whether or not it was working. They said if it wasn't - they would send a replacement TiVo to my mom and her lifetime subscription would be saved.

My brother calls back yesterday. Whatever they suggested didn't work, so my mom wants to get a replacement box. Now it turns out that they want $149 for it. She wasn't happy about it, but she agreed to pay the money since they were going to transfer her lifetime subscription.

Now today my brother gets an email that the box is refurbished. WTH? You can buy a new system for $99, and they want $149 for a refurbished box because they're going to save her liftetime subscription?? My brother called to complain, and the girl told him that they can't transfer a lifetime subscription to a new machine. That's total B.S. They could do whatever they wanted to do.

I can tell you that when my TiVo dies, I'm switching over to a Comcast box. I've already had enough myself with the local numbers no longer being available and now I'm having to pay for long distance phone calls to update my programming guide.
valkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #129
dleewo

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkaz
My mom's TiVo has started with the stuttering and freezing. My brother was apparently on the phone with TiVo for 4 hours on Saturday. They told him that they updated the software and now a lot of people are having trouble with their boxes.
Can anyone else confirm this? I have 2 TiVos and one started doing this. I was about to investigate changing the hard drive, but if it's a software update issue, then changing the HD wouldn't help.
dleewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #130
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Bad drives are often discovered when the software is updated, because the software is installed on a part of the drive that was not previously in use. If a bad sector develops in that partition, it will only become apparent after an update. It is not the software; it is your drive.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #131
dleewo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZikZak
Bad drives are often discovered when the software is updated, because the software is installed on a part of the drive that was not previously in use. If a bad sector develops in that partition, it will only become apparent after an update. It is not the software; it is your drive.
Thanks....I'll replace the hard drive later today.
dleewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #132
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleewo
Thanks....I'll replace the hard drive later today.
Before replacing it, you might want to run a hard drive fitness utility to confirm whether or not it's actually bad. To do that, you could pull the drive and look to see who the manufacturer is, and then google it to get the fitness utility.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 05-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #133
rdrrepair
You can call me Bill

I will pass along an observation that I had with my TiVos. I ran a new TiVo network adapters to each of my boxes. After I did that and set them up I found that my TiVo was freezing. Thinking that I had an issue with the downloads or network interference I disconnect the adapter from the one box. All stuttering stopped.

I swapped them around and still had the same problem. Odd, I thought, maybe it has something to do with the cable box. None of the other TiVo's are suffering from this. After taking this out of the system it started to work right.

I tried several combinations until I found, that the stuttering had to do with the TiVo wireless adapter sending a signal into the top of my cable box. The stuttering was on the output of the cable box feed. The additional TiVo adapter was causing interference.

I remounted the adapters higher up and farther out of the way. My cable box on that TiVo is a "Scientific Atlanta - Explorer 3250HD".

As an added test I went into the bedroom and mounted my adapter closer to another cable box, a "Pioneer Voyager - BD-V3510" and was able to semi-duplicate the same conditions.

Try to unplug your network adapter before you replace your hard drive. it just might save you time, money, and aggravation.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:51 PM   #134
TracerBullet

On one of my TiVos, the picture on recorded programs or live TV will sometimes exhibit quick lines going across the screen. The best approximation of what it looks like is what a VCR with a tracking problem would display.

I have ruled out all problems and have it narrowed to one possibility: the connection between the cable box and the TiVo. Is it possible that the composite video connector is faulty? How would I determine this?
TracerBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:38 PM   #135
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
On one of my TiVos, the picture on recorded programs or live TV will sometimes exhibit quick lines going across the screen. The best approximation of what it looks like is what a VCR with a tracking problem would display.

I have ruled out all problems and have it narrowed to one possibility: the connection between the cable box and the TiVo. Is it possible that the composite video connector is faulty? How would I determine this?
Have you really ruled out the possibility of a "floating ground"? If not, I'd do some searches and see if the symptoms match yours (your brief description indicates it might be the problem).
Old 05-09-2007, 08:22 AM   #136
TracerBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter
Have you really ruled out the possibility of a "floating ground"? If not, I'd do some searches and see if the symptoms match yours (your brief description indicates it might be the problem).
You know, it might be this. The problem didn't start until I moved a few months ago. Of course, it could also be that the hard drive got banged around during the move, but I'll try to see how I can fix this.

Edit: I found this: is this something to try?
Old 05-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #137
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

That sort of thing is one of the major solutions to the symptoms. What I would do first is a quick check to see if your cable coming into the house is properly grounded (whether satellite or cable company). It should be physically connected to a ground (wire or metal pole going into the ground) before it enters the house. If that connection is loose or missing, fixing it should solve your entire problem. If it's missing, you should be able to get your installers to come back and do it right.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:18 AM   #138
TracerBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter
That sort of thing is one of the major solutions to the symptoms. What I would do first is a quick check to see if your cable coming into the house is properly grounded (whether satellite or cable company). It should be physically connected to a ground (wire or metal pole going into the ground) before it enters the house. If that connection is loose or missing, fixing it should solve your entire problem. If it's missing, you should be able to get your installers to come back and do it right.
My other TV does not exhibit this problem, so I think that would rule it out (although maybe not?). Thanks for information though, I will definitely check this out tonight.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:28 PM   #139
JerryL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleewo
Can anyone else confirm this? I have 2 TiVos and one started doing this. I was about to investigate changing the hard drive, but if it's a software update issue, then changing the HD wouldn't help.
My TIVO S3 now has pixelation on HBO and CSN after the 8.3 update. I contacted Verizon and and they are going to reset the cablecards. I'll see if that works, but I feel it is the software update.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...8&page=1&pp=30
JerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:06 AM   #140
timckelley
TCFer

Question: What if the TiVo has stuttering symptoms, but when I rewind and replay, it doesn't stutter in the same spots?

Here's the history of my series 1:
  • Bought it used off ebay, in January 2005
  • In early, 2006, one of it's two drives started malfunctioning. The symptoms were stuttering, pixelation, and freezing, but when I replayed the shows, the stuttering was always in the same places.
  • I replaced the bad hard drive.
  • I then subscribed the unit for the first time
  • One month later (IOW spring of 2006), I converted my sub to a lifetime
  • Now it's starting to stutter again, though not too much. But it is noticably stuttering more and more consistently, and strangely, when I replay, it doesn't stutter in the same spots each time I replay.

So given this different type of stuttering as before, is this also the symptom of a bad hard drive? If so, I'm guessing it's the one I didn't replace last year. Maybe it's time for the other drive to go bad.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 07-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #141
Icehawk

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=5313402

Started last Friday - if the cable is plugged in the Tivo locks up on HD channels. Unplug all is well. New cable cards won't install, they lock the Tivo. Cable is Comcast.

Anyone?
Icehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #142
brendalee2

Wink Could timing be any worse??

For the past 3-4 months, my Series 1 Sony TiVo has been trying to get my attention, with stuttering, sounds not quite lining up with the images, stalling, and taking forever to get to the "Now Playing List". So I decided that a new hard drive would be in order, only because I know that the current setup works fine with my Comcast Digital Cable, and still allows me the ability to use my OnDemand and Pay Per View capabilities. Believing I would have time to hook up a VCR to download my saved programs before the hard drive 'surgical procedure', I ordered a 160G single drive from Weaknees on Tuesday evening, only to be outwitted by the TiVo. Thursday evening I turned on the television and was greeted with the green screen of death. Not exactly knowing what to do besides follow the instructions on the screen, I searched online and found this community. The TiVo has now been in its 'green' state for 24 hours now (or longer, since TiVo doesn't offer the exact time of the severe error), and I still have no idea if I should let it run its course for a full 48 hours before unplugging and letting it rest for a couple of hours.

Potential reasons I personally believe my TiVo died (or is dying):

-It's old.
-I've saved way too many programs for way too long. Perhaps the drive was using the same sections over and over again to record new programs or Tivo's choices, and eventually got tired.
-I left it on most of the time. Perhaps if I had only set the Tivo to record only the programs I wanted, or only live T.V. when I was watching it, it would have last longer.
-I kept it in an enclosed cabinet, so perhaps it couldn't breathe as well as it could have. Or perhaps the temperature wasn't optimal.
-I've been through one too many rainstorms. Recently, I've made it a point to unplug my computer equipment from the wall when I'm home during a storm. Although my computer is hooked up to a UPS, I have my TiVo and other equipment hooked up to a simple power strip with a little surge protector on it.

Any ideas on what you think I should do? If this problem isn't the hard drive, would I risk damaging any working parts (like the 'motherboard'---don't know what that is exactly) by not having more patience? I'd hate to have new materials that would never even work because I couldn't wait a few more days....but I'm still hopeful that I'll be able to at least run the machine to extract archived shows. Weaknees should be here by this Tuesday, with a new fan and 2-year warranty.

Many thanks in advance!
brendalee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:32 PM   #143
dgatwood

Could be power supply voltage

This sounds a little nuts, but I was having this problem until today on my S1 TiVo. I cloned to a new drive, but the problem persisted. In addition it stopped booting consistently. It would boot maybe one time out of twenty (and kept getting worse). Eventually, in desperation, I thought maybe the power supply voltage might be low, so I took a screwdriver and tweaked the vasj pot at the front left corner of the PSU clockwise just a bit. Upon powering up the machine, it booted on the first try and it hasn't stuttered all evening.

It's too early to say with absolute certainty that the problem is really gone, but thus far, is looks good. If it holds, I'll make a custom cable so I can check the supply rail voltsges under load.

Sent from my iPhone.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:27 AM   #144
timckelley
TCFer

I'm having lots of stuttering on my series 1. When I do the instant replay, it doesn't always stutter in the same place, but it does seem always stutter very close (within a second or two) of the same place upon replay.

The stuttering is getting so rampant that I need to do something about it.

I assume this sounds like a failing hard drive, right?

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 09-15-2007, 10:33 PM   #145
Unix_Beard

I have a Tivo that was off the network for a month or so. When I plugged it back in, it fetched the missing guide and all the other data it needed to resurrect itself. It evidently rebooted after an update at some point. It stops at the "Welcome. Powering Up" and sits there. It sat all night like that. I unplugged it and rebooted it and it did it again.

Should I assume the drive is dead?
Unix_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:39 AM   #146
wdaveo

I have a Toshiba which is pixelating, stuttering and clicking - but only on 2 channels, HBO and Showtime. The network channels as well as FX, Bravo, etc. are fine.

Hubby replaced the hard drive about a year ago.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
wdaveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:02 PM   #147
Lowcarb

Is your stuttering caused by a HDD problem.

I'll be replacing the HDD on one of my series2 units.
I've been suffering with occasional stuttering and unexplained reboots about 1x / week.
Its getting worse so I have to act soon.

Checking the log file /var/log/kernel seem to indicate that I have a bad sector, (or the drive can't properly seek to the sector in question)

Code:
Log cleared on Fri Sep 28, 2007 by TivoWebPlus
Sep 28 13:08:23 (none) kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } 
Sep 28 13:08:23 (none) kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=79418507, high=4, low=12309643, sector=45057 
Sep 28 13:08:23 (none) kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:0c (hda), sector 45057 
Sep 28 13:08:25 (none) kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } 
Sep 28 13:08:25 (none) kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=79418507, high=4, low=12309643, sector=45057 
Sep 28 13:08:25 (none) kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:0c (hda), sector 45057 
Sep 28 13:08:27 (none) kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } 
Sep 28 13:08:27 (none) kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=79418507, high=4, low=12309643, sector=45057 
Sep 28 13:08:27 (none) kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:0c (hda), sector 45057 
Sep 28 13:08:29 (none) kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } 
Sep 28 13:08:29 (none) kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=79418507, high=4, low=12309643, sector=45057 
Sep 28 13:08:29 (none) kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:0c (hda), sector 45057 
Sep 28 13:08:31 (none) kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } 
Sep 28 13:08:31 (none) kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=79418507, high=4, low=12309643, sector=45057 
Sep 28 13:08:31 (none) kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:0c (hda), sector 45057 
Sep 28 13:08:33 (none) kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } 
Sep 28 13:08:33 (none) kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=79418507, high=4, low=12309643, sector=45057 
Sep 28 13:08:33 (none) kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:0c (hda), sector 45057 
Sep 28 13:08:35 (none) kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } 
Sep 28 13:08:35 (none) kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=79418507, high=4, low=12309643, sector=45057 
Sep 28 13:08:35 (none) kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:0c (hda), sector 45057 
Sep 28 13:08:37 (none) kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } 
Sep 28 13:08:37 (none) kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=79418507, high=4, low=12309643, sector=45057 
Sep 28 13:08:37 (none) kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:0c (hda), sector 45057 
Sep 28 13:08:40 (none) kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } 
Sep 28 13:08:40 (none) kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=79418507, high=4, low=12309643, sector=45057 
Sep 28 13:08:40 (none) kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:0c (hda), sector 45057 
Sep 28 13:08:42 (none) kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Knowing where to look to find this type of error might be helpful to others who are not sure that they have a drive error.

I'm going to try using mfslive tools to copy my drive to a new one.

Any tips I should be aware of?
Lowcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:20 PM   #148
Lowcarb

The Bedroom unit is alive and well after cloning the ailing 120G drive to a 200G w/ mfsAlive.
Lowcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:46 PM   #149
usmaak

Hi,

I have no stuttering at all. What I do have is lockups. My TiVo Series 2 locks up about once a week. We missed recording three shows tonight because of one of these unexpected lockups. I wish I could know for sure that it was the HD, as opposed to something else. I don't want to spend all that money unless that's actually the problem.
usmaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #150
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmaak
Hi,

I have no stuttering at all. What I do have is lockups. My TiVo Series 2 locks up about once a week. We missed recording three shows tonight because of one of these unexpected lockups. I wish I could know for sure that it was the HD, as opposed to something else. I don't want to spend all that money unless that's actually the problem.
Yes, a bad HD could be it. But to be sure, before you spend all that $, you can confirm by doing the following:
  • Open the hood (i.e. open the TiVo)
  • Take out the drive (s)
  • Note the manufacturer of the drive (s)
  • google it on the web and find some free fitness utilites and download those utilities
  • Run them, following the instructions to test to see if your drives are good or bad. This might involve booting to a CD or a diskette (depending on where you store the utilities), because sometimes these utilities are downloaded in such a way to make your diskette or CD bootable.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc