TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-14-2006, 05:01 PM   #91
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Even with power conditioning, it's unfortunate, but drives do go bad. Again, it is common for drive errors to lay dormant for a while, only to show up immediately after a system upgrade because of the way Tivo uses dormant system partitions.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:04 PM   #92
timckelley
TCFer

I've always used UPS's, but after owning my series 1 for 2 years, a hard drive failed. I wasn't the original owner, so I can't speak to what kind of power conditioning the first owner had.

I wound up not using Weaknees, but instead following the Hinsdale instructions and saved money, but I will confess it took me 3 evenings to figure it all out and to fix it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:09 PM   #93
James Nichols

My Tivo is stuck on the Welcome,Powering Up screen.Can anyone help me?
James Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:19 PM   #94
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Nichols
My Tivo is stuck on the Welcome,Powering Up screen.Can anyone help me?
Same thing's currently happening to my boss's daughter's one-year old combo-TiVo-DVD-burner unit. I'm thinking this could also be a hard drive problem, but I not the resident expert here. I'm sure others will soon confirm or deny this.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 03-16-2006, 11:31 PM   #95
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Stuck on "Welcome, Powering Up" means the tivo can't see the hard drive at all. Open the box and make sure all the connecting wires to the drive are seated firmly on both ends. If that doesn't help, the most probable issue is a busted power supply.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:25 AM   #96
richierich
AKA PLASMAMANIAC

Also, unplug your power cord and plug into another outlet and see if that helps. A bad power supply could be causing your problem and that can be replaced by a company that specializes in fixing Tivos. If the power ribbon is loose, it can cause the same problem or if the power cable to your hard drive is loose that can cause the problem or it can just be a bad hard drive. If you do a search on my moniker you will find alot of my posts on this subject and where you can go to find or troubleshoot the problem.
richierich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:30 PM   #97
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZikZak
If that doesn't help, the most probable issue is a busted power supply.
IME the most probable issue is always a busted drive

A totally dead drive will give the same symptoms and is much more likely than a dead PSU. After you've checked the drive and found it to be working OK, then suspect the PSU. It's a shame though, as PSUs are a lot cheaper than drives
blindlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:05 PM   #98
ljk76

i have a Directv dvr r10, which is a receiver and tivo all in one. I am getting a bad care of freezing over the last 2 months, but I do alot of recording daily; I have 55 season passes, and have about 39-40 hours of of now playing list. I am purchasing a dvd recorder (panasonic es10s), so I can record to dvd and clear out my now playing list, which I am told would help clear up my freezing issue; to describe it, my recordings freeze midway thru recording (remote control inoperable), and when trying to switch between live tv channels, the picture does not follow; I get the tivo green screen and audio. I reboot, and it clears up, but a reboot seemingly means 2-3 reboots within days before it clears up.
ljk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:08 PM   #99
timckelley
TCFer

That sounds a lot like a bad hard drive. I had many of your symptoms, and replacing my bad hard drive cleared it all up.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 03-29-2006, 04:23 PM   #100
lajohn27
Fanboi.. So what?

If your TIVO is stuck on POWERING UP and never gets past that point or continually reboots..

Follow the instructions in this post:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...se#post3845759

Do it once with the command 57 (which performs a HD check) and then with a 52 (which installs the current software on the opposite system partition ... This *may* get your TIVO back up and running - at least long enough for you to watch your shows.

J

As discussion progresses in any TCF thread where the thread resembles trolling from the first post; the likelihood of the original poster bringing up stock data nears 1.
lajohn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:16 PM   #101
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljk76
i have a Directv dvr r10, which is a receiver and tivo all in one. I am getting a bad care of freezing over the last 2 months, but I do alot of recording daily
Your rationale doesn't make much sense. You do exactly as much recording per day as everyone with a tivo does: 24 hours worth.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:47 PM   #102
krisnfred

TiVo Series 2 screen stuttering/pixelation...

We have a 140-hour TiVo Series 2, purchased direct from the TiVo site in July 2005. Within the last week our Tivo has rebooted a couple of times (we understand this is abnormal). Since the middle of last week recordings (occasionally) have been rolling so that the bottom half of the recording is on the top of the screen and the heads of the persons in the recording are on the bottom (like when the vertical hold would go bad on your parents' 70s/80s cabinet model TV), the images pixelate to the point of causing the image to become unwatchable, or the image & audio "stutter" for a couple of seconds here and there throughout the recording. This is happening on both recordings and live TV, though not all the time. Some recordings are particularly bad, however; others have no problems at all.

We have contacted TiVo customer support and were told our options are to either pay $49, send them our TiVo, and on receipt of it they will send us a refurbished Series 2 (in which case we would have no TiVo for over a week); or to pay $349 up front, they send us a refurbished Series 2, then we send ours back, and on receipt, they refund only $199 of the original amount deposited. Either of these options seem poor as our unit has warranty until July 2006 and the refurb model would only have 60 days according to two Tivo customer support reps. Also, with either of these options, we would lose all of our preferences and have to reprogram all of our season passes, wishlists, etc.

I (Fred of KRISnFRED) have a general knowledge of PCs and helped construct our home PC from scratch, a complete custom build. Is it possible that this could be a software issue? Do we need a new hard drive? This all began after the recent upgrade from Tivo to add Live 365, games, online features, etc., to TiVo Central.

Anyone have any advice?
krisnfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:58 PM   #103
timckelley
TCFer

If it's under warranty, why do you have to pay anything?

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 04-05-2006, 07:08 PM   #104
krisnfred

Tivo Series 2 screen freeze/pixelation

Good question. It apparently had a 90 day full replacement warranty, but after that there is a $49 service fee according to two TiVo customer support techs.

Last edited by krisnfred : 04-05-2006 at 07:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-05-2006, 07:15 PM   #105
timckelley
TCFer

To me your symptoms sounds like a bad hard drive, and replacement will likely need to involve replacement of the hard drive + reconfiguring of the software on it.

You could do it yourself if you like, using the Hinsdale instructions found in the 'TiVo Upgrade Center" subforum. The people there will also give you instructions on diagnosing whether this is in fact your problem, but I predict it is. It's too bad your hard drive didn't even last a year.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 04-05-2006, 07:34 PM   #106
richierich
AKA PLASMAMANIAC

I will state this one more time as I have many times in the past. So many times if one has a unit that has a bad or fluctuating power supply it can mimic symtoms that are common with a bad hard drive. So you must determine if it is a bad hard drive, a loose connection to the hard drive or a bad or fluctuating power supply which can be caused by battery backups, etc. Have you tried to plug your unit into another outlet? You can't just assume that it is a bad hard drive. Alot of people have found out that it was a loose connection and that when they disconnected it and added the new hard drive it worked not because of the new hard drive but making a good connection or a bad IDE or power cable. You need to check out all connections first. Then it could be a bad power supply or bad power coming in.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:46 PM   #107
krisnfred

Thanks richierich, we are new to the board so I appreciate any input. I have checked all the external connections (outside the TiVo), changed the cable coaxial from the wall to the TiVo, and actually added a larger UPS device than the one that was there previously when the problem first began. I, as you have implied, am also concerned that the problem will not be the HD, but rather a connection. However, if I open the TiVo case to check inside...will that not void any warranty we have left on the unit?
Old 04-07-2006, 02:04 PM   #108
kasey3333

What kind of harddrive?

After reading this thread I have come to the conclusion that I may soon have to replace my harddrive - my question is how do I know what kind to buy? I have a Phillips HRD212.

I see so many listed on Ebay as Tivo harddrives - and I love the bargains Ebay can offer - but I don't want to have to load the software on the new harddrive myself. Do I have to buy a specific type or one with specific software on it?

What would happen if I bought a harddrive advertised as Series 2 - will it work on my Series 1? I don't want to lose my lifetime subscription!

Any help & guidance would be appreciated - thanks!
kasey3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:51 PM   #109
Roadblock

I bought my mother a Tivo for Christmas and she is now getting the stuttering/freezing/pixellation problems in live TV. The picture is pixellated completely and the audio is gorked. The recordings look ok. Anyone had a problem with a hard drive this soon (4 months, conveniently past the 90 days)?

And is the Hinsdale guide still the best info for replacing the drive?
Roadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:50 AM   #110
richierich
AKA PLASMAMANIAC

Try plugging the Tivo directly into another receptacle. Low power or bad power can mimic a hard drive going bad. Also, sometimes it can be a power supply unit going bad or needing to be tweaked (yes, it can be fine tuned) or sent off to a company I know of that will diagnose the problem and fix it whether it is the hard drive or a bad power supply.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:57 PM   #111
bfoote

I have a lifetime subscription Series 2 TCD140060 with the origional HD plus a 120G I put in long ago. I replaced the power supply about 8 months ago. I installed the Tivo Desktop software a few months ago. No other modifications.

About 2 months ago it started freezing occasionally, and now it's happening about 3 times a week. As far as I can tell, it only happens when it completes a recording. The recording saves properly without errors, then the screen freezes and the red light stays on. It will not respond to the remote or record anything else until I unplug it and plug it back in. This has happened while I was watching something else and while it's just sitting. The highest temperature I've seen it at is 48C. Increasing open space around it does not help. Freeing up extra space on the HD does not help.

It does not stutter or freeze under any other condition. Only upon completion of a recording.

Any thoughts? This doesn't seem to match the bad HD symptom reports I'm seeing.
bfoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:51 PM   #112
Buck6196

I have a RCA - Directv Tivo that has recently been acting up on me. The only problem is that it locks up while watching. It will be on a lot of the day since my wife is at home with the kids. It will go most of the morning fine, then lock up after a while. By late afternoon it will be locking up every 20 or 30 minutes. Some days are better than others with minimal lock ups. I called her a little while ago for her to check the temp and it was 47C. Do I have a pending drive failure or a temp problem?

Thanks.
Buck6196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:02 PM   #113
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

If it's happening only in the afternoon, it might be a temperature problem... especially if the room isn't air-conditioned. 47C is kinda high. I'd try to improve the ventillation around the tivo and see if it helps.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:33 AM   #114
killme

I've got a DT unit that likes to reboot when I am transferring a recording from my other DT unit. After the reboot the transfer starts over from the beginning. It doesn't always reboot at the same spot in the transfer. I called TiVo and they told me to replace it. Didn't say anything else. I wish they would tell me what's wrong, but I plan to do that.

Another issue is that both of my DT units experience a stutter problem (1/2 second pause in video and sound) every now and then (10-40 minutes). It even happens when you fast forward.
killme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:43 PM   #115
whistler

[quote=JadziaDax<Snip>Is anyone else experiencing this type of problem with the 7.2.something update that happened in September? Or am I alone in this issue?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am having the same problem since 7.2. I have been reading through the suggestions here and I am trying some things listed here - I will report on the results.
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:59 AM   #116
Buck6196

Big Grin

I lifted my unit off of the shelf it is on by about 1/2". We are now lock-up free for about 2 weeks or so. I guess the ventilation and temp we affecting it a lot.

Buck6196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:13 PM   #117
rtatlow

Angry

I recently added a second drive to TiVo (Series 2, Model 240-0001-F022-12a1) and now have 235 hours capability. Recently, the system started stuttering even shows I recorded a month ago. Also, everything (menu selections, menu navigation, etc.) is in "slow motion". Now, I can't delete old shows, using either the new "clear" facility or the old "select / delete" method. It doesn't record scheduled shows in my "To Do" list , and I cannot restore any recently deleted shows.

I have been able to copy shows over to my PC and they appear without the stuttering.

Is this still a bad drive or something more serious? Please advise.

Last edited by rtatlow : 06-30-2006 at 08:16 AM.
rtatlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:33 AM   #118
banditotivo

New to the forum! This is a great amount of info. I have tried to read all teh faq's before posting. I have a Tivo, RCAhd40 model. Have used the system reformat command today. I am still getting stuttering and freezing. I am thinking that the drive is having a hard time. This is MY Tivo and I am not worried about trying to open it up and replace the drive (Pc tech for many years). My questions is do I need to replace with the same brand/type drive or can any drive work? I am happy with a 40 gb drive (original type) is fine with me. I have a 40 gb drive out of a pc now and can easily use it. If I use a larger drive will I need to do anything special? Or can I just put in a larger drive and the Tivo will see it for what it is?
Thanks
Brian
banditotivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:54 PM   #119
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditotivo
New to the forum! This is a great amount of info. I have tried to read all teh faq's before posting. I have a Tivo, RCAhd40 model. Have used the system reformat command today. I am still getting stuttering and freezing. I am thinking that the drive is having a hard time. This is MY Tivo and I am not worried about trying to open it up and replace the drive (Pc tech for many years). My questions is do I need to replace with the same brand/type drive or can any drive work? I am happy with a 40 gb drive (original type) is fine with me. I have a 40 gb drive out of a pc now and can easily use it. If I use a larger drive will I need to do anything special? Or can I just put in a larger drive and the Tivo will see it for what it is?
Thanks
Brian
You have to initialize the drive with linux commands. When you do so, that'll tell the TiVo how big the drive is.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 07-20-2006, 06:51 AM   #120
GBIDrugLord

Exclamation For the love of Pete, please help!

I've been having some problems lately. My Humax DRT-400 started freezing up on my factory refurb unit (my orig DRT-400 had a bad DVD drive in it). Randomly, the unit would freeze up, wouldn't respond to the remote control, so on and so forth. Of course, I think maybe a bad hard drive.

So I upgraded my 40Gb drive to a 160Gb drive (pre loaded with the image) from Weaknees, hoping the would solve my problem. Well, it didn't. It kept locking up, so I thought that maybe (probably not) that they sent me a bad drive. I checked it out with Maxtor's PowerMax utility and everything passed.

I then tried switching power outlets in my room. No such luck there. I've had a surge protector for the whole time, but I decided to go out and get a UPS battery backup. Maybe my problem was the fluctuations in the power line from the wall were causing the drive to freeze up. Is there a product out there that will "smooth out" electricity coming from a wall (that won't cost me a ton of money)?

Nope, last night it froze again. I'm getting really frustrated because I can't get this unit to work properly, and I really don't want to send my unit back to Humax and wait over 3 weeks for the replacement.

I've got a TiVo brand wireless adapter with a D-Link 624 (rev. C) router. I am doubting that the adapter (or if the router drops the adapter for whatever reason) is the culprit here, because I went a few days with the adapter not plugged in to the unit and it still froze up.
GBIDrugLord is offline   Reply With Quote