TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2004, 03:02 PM   #31
stackman

Don't know if this is a stopple problem or not. Video image freezes during live playback and also when watching live TV. Seems to get worse when video is on the buffer. Also get artifacts, sometimes the video will replay over again maybe two or three times but the audio is not unaffected. I have a Philips HDR112 with an 80 gig Maxtor drive added. Someone had suggested that I should change the IDE cable, that I had a older one and a new one should fix this problem. Any ideas?
stackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 04:09 PM   #32
w2jo

At least a PART of the problem must be in the TiVo Operating System. My unit "occasionally" will "pause" for 5, 10, or even 15 seconds. Then it picks right up where it left off without missing more than a syllable or two. If I then "back up 8 seconds" I get to see the sequence without any gaps or stutters.

Seems like maybe the playback program occasionally "goes to sleep" and does not get brought back soon enough.

The conventional wisdom is that this is all a defective hard drive problem, but my drives both check out fine with the Maxtor diagnostic and cleaning them ot an reloading the software did not fix the problem. So.. I guess we just live with it and chalk it up to "first production technology seldom gets all the bugs out". Certainly (by now) with this problem going on for about three years that I know of, Tivo should have instrumented the OS so as to offer clues of the actual cause of this problem. As it is, if you call Tivo they simply say: We do not get involved in hardware problems. On the other hand, Philips says that they have no idea and that TiVo furnishes the software. So.. The bottom line is: The customer is caught in the middle with no where to go.

w2jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 07:49 PM   #33
stackman

Mine doesn't do that even if I jump back it still gets hung up in the same place. It does it both in live tv and in playback. If the picture freezes then the sound stops with it, but if it is just artifacts and the same scene replays the audio never has a problem.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:12 PM   #34
stackman

Just an update to the problem I was having with my series 1. I upgraded the IDE cable from an ATA33 to an ATA66 cable and it seems to have corrected the problems that I was having. I don't know if this well help anyone else out but it might be something worth trying.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:37 PM   #35
w2jo

Thanks Stackman!
For years, I have had stutter and playback pauses also. I was told repeatedly that this was caused by disk drive problems but the drives passed the diagnostic just fine.

Then I read your article where you changed the IDE cable to the disk drive from the original to one made using the 80 conductor IDE 133 Ultra cable and this had fixed your problems 100%. I did not have an Ultra IDE cable with enough cable length between the two drive connectors to work in the Tivo. So I tried exchanging a STANDARD IDE CABLE (without the wires split out as in the Philips Tivo) and Lo.. My stuttering went away completely.

My conclusion: There is a design defect in the Tivo system wherein the engineers "sliced the cable" into pairs of wires to make the section from between the two IDE connectors more flexible. This works for LOTS of units but on SOME units the added signal overshoot/ringing/crosstalk caused by the added cable mismatch is just enough to cause disk data transfer problems. Likely the Ultra 133 IDE cable is a much better technical solution but "whatever works" is good enough.

I am also told that adding the Tivo Cache Card is another complete solution to the stutter problem.

So.. BEFORE you go to the trouble of changing disk drives try a new IDE cable, preferably the Ultra 133 IDE model (if connector spacing is long enough). Your problems MAY go away.
Joe
w2jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 05:53 PM   #36
jimrod

Quote:
Another person told me that TiVo has a disk drive tester program for TiVo
I believe Spin Rite ver.6 will work for TiVo, you may want to check their web site.

Quote:
Maybe it IS a drive problem, but I have never had PC drive failures act like this.
Were you not around when an IBM 1GB was around $1000.00? When they were close to full or not often defraged the stall time was at least twice the 5 sec your getting. True, the new drives are larger, but your PC with about the same size hard drive does not even come close to the way TiVo is abusing that drive.l

Quote:
diagnostic tool (since disk drives always fail, it is just a matter of time.) but so far that seems to be wishful thinking
Why? by the time it fails, your TiVo is out of warranty. What you need to know is that most hard drive companies will warranty their drive for 5 years, and the only proof you need is the hard drive to send in.

Jim
jimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 08:01 PM   #37
Andrewp75

Hi Everyone.

Just purchased a 80 hour new Tivo serial #540... I have Comcast analog cabel with a Scientific Atlanta Analog box with no Video inputs other than coax and no serial connection. It is a 3 digit box though.

The problem that Im having is that there is a 4-7 second stutter at the begining of all recordings. This happens on all channels and at all times. Happens both with scheduled recordings and with suggestions. I have tried switching the cable box to "no need to enter the enter button" with no luck.

The one time it doesnt stutter is if it is already on the channel that it is going to record before it starts recording.

Does anyone have a solution? Thanks for the help! So glad to have a Series Two after almost 5 years with a series one. Just want it to work right.

Andrew
Andrewp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:29 AM   #38
Andrewp75

Bump..
Andrewp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:06 AM   #39
zdeblick

Has anyone found a resolution for this problem? I'm having the same or a very similar error with my S2. After moving cities, I chose the reset location option so that tivo would take me through the guided setup again and update the new phone numbers and cable provider. All is well, until the end of the setup when the box tries to make the "Program Call," which should be a piece of cake. Instead, when the tivo is preparing to call and goes into the "Cleaning Up" stage, it gets stuck at 27% for HOURS. I've tried all that seems obvious: restart (by pulling the power cable since there seems to be no other way to reset). I even opened the box (the warranty period just passed, wouldn't you know) and made sure the hard drive was snugly plugged in and I reinserted the coin battery. The temp isn't hot at all, in fact it feels cool, and the hard drive isn't making any of the ominous "clicking" sounds. Its silent.

Is there anything else to try--like a hard reboot that resets all data? Or a way to skip the program call so that the reset will complete and I will worry about the program call later?

Thoughts? Please.

Nick
zdeblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 11:38 PM   #40
bohlke

Freezing and background

I have a Series 1 Tivo with 2 drives, I have been seeing increased pauses, freezes, and sometimes the the audio goes away and the screen freezes and when the screen comes back the audio goes nuts to catch up. I think these are hard drive issues.

The second problem I am having is sometimes when I switch to the tivo screen I dont get the green background, I get a black one. Sometimes I get the last frame of the program I was watching with the menu titles superimposed. And sometimes I get freezes and stuttering in the menu. Are these symptoms of a different problem?
bohlke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 10:49 AM   #41
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

No, those are probably also symptoms of a hard rive problem. The regular background that you see in the menus is little more than just another (permanent) recording. If the hard drive is damaged in that area, the background might be difficult or impossible for the TiVo to access. That having been said, some menu wonkiness can be repaired with a re-boot. Have you tried rebooting yet?
Old 09-28-2004, 06:29 PM   #42
bohlke

Quote:
Originally posted by ZikZak
No, those are probably also symptoms of a hard rive problem. The regular background that you see in the menus is little more than just another (permanent) recording. If the hard drive is damaged in that area, the background might be difficult or impossible for the TiVo to access. That having been said, some menu wonkiness can be repaired with a re-boot. Have you tried rebooting yet?
Yeah reboots dont seem to help...
Old 12-23-2004, 02:51 AM   #43
Airwolf

Well, after a bunch of research and holiday sales, I purchased a new 120 GIG HD with the hopes of replacing a stuttering HD. Trouble was, I had already added one HD and I had NO IDEA how to determine which HD was going bad... was it the orignal A drive, or the added B drive? Here's what I did:
1) I planned my attack with MFSTools 2.x (thank GOD for all those people who have kept that up to date!). With 100 hours of programming, I started at night to let it copy all night long...
2) I hooked up my original A drive and the added B drive to determine which was Primary, etc. (per MFS)
3) Imagine my surprise when my PC booted with SMART errors! WOO HOO! It determined that the original A drive was going BAD!!!!!!!!
4) Slight change of plan.... replaced old 30 GIG A with new 120 GIG A... and copied it.
5) Expanded with B and voila! 200 hours!

NICE! Why write this? Because my Sony SVR-2000 (original model) had a SMART capable HD and if I had known that I would have not waited 6 months to fix the stutter problem.

One thought: WHY DOESN'T TIVO MONITOR SMART STATUS????
Airwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 10:13 AM   #44
bohlke

Quote:
Originally posted by Airwolf
Well, after a bunch of research and holiday sales, I purchased a new 120 GIG HD with the hopes of replacing a stuttering HD. Trouble was, I had already added one HD and I had NO IDEA how to determine which HD was going bad... was it the orignal A drive, or the added B drive? Here's what I did:
1) I planned my attack with MFSTools 2.x (thank GOD for all those people who have kept that up to date!). With 100 hours of programming, I started at night to let it copy all night long...
2) I hooked up my original A drive and the added B drive to determine which was Primary, etc. (per MFS)
3) Imagine my surprise when my PC booted with SMART errors! WOO HOO! It determined that the original A drive was going BAD!!!!!!!!
4) Slight change of plan.... replaced old 30 GIG A with new 120 GIG A... and copied it.
5) Expanded with B and voila! 200 hours!

NICE! Why write this? Because my Sony SVR-2000 (original model) had a SMART capable HD and if I had known that I would have not waited 6 months to fix the stutter problem.

One thought: WHY DOESN'T TIVO MONITOR SMART STATUS????
Esp when there is an opensource toolkit, anyone know if there is a hack to implement?

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
Old 02-03-2005, 09:56 AM   #45
richierich
AKA PLASMAMANIAC

I ran SpinRite software against my 2 drives on my HR10-250 and my temperature went from 47C to 40C with no pixellation or stuttering problems. I believe this problem is due to bad sectors and SpinRite recovers the data on these bad sectors and removes them and replaces them with backup sectors which have a surface analysis performed on them and then if that sector is deemed to be good then the data is written to it. This procedure is performed for all sectors and there are several different reports that tells you what going on, etc.
richierich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:25 PM   #46
kevinv

Quote:
Originally posted by Almuliman
AFAIK, TiVos can use all drive types except SATA, so the Maxtor 160GB should be fine. I have a (recently deceased :-P) Western Digital 160MB drive in my Series 1 that was working just fine.
You mean it can use ATA/IDE drives. It can not use firewire, usb or SCSI drives so "all types" is wrong.

Also I believe anything over 160GB is useless? Not sure if this is still the case but it was when I did my upgrade. No point in buying 250GB drives if the Tivo can't use them (it will use 160GB of the 200GB drive, the rest is unusable).

Kevin
kevinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:30 PM   #47
kevinv

Re: More Stuttering/Hesitation problems

Quote:
Originally posted by w2jo

I have been told that the problem was caused by bad blocks or sectors on one of the hard drives. Seeming to contradict this view are the following factors:
1) If a "pause" or "stuttering" even occurs, backing up and replaying the section always shows no "pause" or "stuttering".
2) The "pauses" can be up to 5 seconds long and when the picture restarts, it does not skip 5 seconds (if any).

This makes me think the TiVO OS is "getting busy" or some such.
If you have sectors are starting to fail but can be read after several attempts that would explain both factors.

1) Disk reads are cached, so once successfully read going back and playing will play from cache, not from disk. no disk read, no failures, no stuttering.

2) because the sector successfully reads, after several attempts, it can play the video without jumping forward.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:36 PM   #48
kevinv

Re: The "Help! My Tivo is Stuttering/Freezing/Crashing/Clicking" Thread

OK, after reading everyone else's "it's not my drive, the upgrade caused the problem" here's my problem, and why I don't think it's drive related.

Recently got the 7.1 upgrade (7.1-01-2-240), immediately afterward (not soon or before, but immediately):

a) first 5-10 seconds of every show stutters.

b) Nothing else in a show ever stutters.

doesn't matter on show length -- 2 hour movies will stutter first 5-10 seconds, nothing for the next 2 hours. 30 minute, 1 hour, 1.5 hours all the same thing.

I can see bad sectors for some shows at random points, but every show, in exactly the same place? I can't see bad sectors for that.

Kevin
Old 02-03-2005, 11:50 PM   #49
Almuliman

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinv
You mean it can use ATA/IDE drives. It can not use firewire, usb or SCSI drives so "all types" is wrong.

Also I believe anything over 160GB is useless? Not sure if this is still the case but it was when I did my upgrade. No point in buying 250GB drives if the Tivo can't use them (it will use 160GB of the 200GB drive, the rest is unusable).

Kevin
Duh. Yes, sorry.

7.1 supports larger hard drives: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...t=7.1+capacity
Almuliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 11:27 AM   #50
kevinv

Quote:
Originally posted by Almuliman
Duh. Yes, sorry.

7.1 supports larger hard drives: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...t=7.1+capacity
thanks for that link, didn't realize 7.1 added large disk support. now i have to find a weekend with little recording scheduled and do some more upgrades 8-)
Old 02-06-2005, 01:18 PM   #51
bobdietz

solid blue screen

Hi everyone.
Is the blue screen the same as the GSOD that I have seen refered to? I am getting and intermittent, although more off than on, problem in which all I see is the blue screen with my Input Number. When the Tivo is working the picture is having color problems.

Bob
bobdietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 02:17 PM   #52
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Is this the blue screen with the big Tivo Guy and troubleshooting tips? That and the color problem could be due to a poor quality video input.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:42 AM   #53
Alphi

I'm having a "stuttering" issue with my Series 1 Tivo, and I want to fix the problem before it fails outright (in other words, I want to be able to save my recorded programs before the hard drive fails, assuming that's the problem).

However, I was wondering something. My box is an upgraded box with a capacity of 160GB. I know that it's two drives, and I'd assumed it was two 80GB drives. Now that I think about it though, it's possible that the original was a 40GB, and the second is a 120GB, to give me the same amount.

That said, if I decide to replace both hard drives (to play it safe, not knowing which is about to fail), is it feasible to think that I might get two larger drives (two 120GB drives, for example), and copy the recorded programming (and everything else needed) to the new drives?

And more importantly, if I'm able to do that successfully, will I be able to utilize the additional 80G of space, or will it still think it's a 160GB machine?
Alphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:07 AM   #54
richierich
AKA PLASMAMANIAC

Alphi, I had a stuttering/pixellating/freezing problem with my HR10-250 and I bought SpinRite data recovery software and I downloaded the software into a floppy diskette. I removed my hard drive from my PC and replaced it with one of my Tivo hard drives and ran it for about 16 hours. I then took it out and put my second drive in and ran it for 30 hours. It now works perfectly. I don't know for how long so I am going to back up the recordings and then replace the offending drive which was the first drive. The diagnostic reports will tell you exactly what is going on, when it is reading and re-reading a bad sector etc. and the documentation will explain how it recovers data from a bad sector, removes the bad sector and replaces it with a backup good sector, rewrites the data to it and then continues on.

Here is a link to the website. http://www.grc.com/sr/themovie.htm.

Check it out. It worked for me and the guy who told me about it had a Tivo that wouldn't even boot up and it fixed his problem, so I gave it a shot and I am glad that I did. It costs I think $79, can't remember but the website will tell you everything you need to know. You can use this on any hard drives that you have, to clean up bad sectors, etc.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:11 PM   #55
jscohn

I have a brand new Series 2 box that every day or so reboots itself when I first turn on the TV. The Tivo is connected straight into the surge protector and is therefore always on. The internal temp is within normal range. Any idea why this is happening?
Old 03-27-2005, 03:45 PM   #56
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

That is very odd. Do you mean to say that when your TV turns on, Tivo always reboots? Does this happen when you turn the TV on manually, as well as when using the remote? If so, perhaps you are overloading your electrical outlet?
Old 03-27-2005, 08:32 PM   #57
jscohn

It does not happen every time I turn on the TV - just a few times a week. But when it does happen (reboot), it only happens when I first turn on the TV. Makes no sense to me. However, I will try to plug the Tivo into a separate outlet.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:35 PM   #58
marksponsler

I'm having the stuttering problem with a series 2 Tivo, but it only stutters on one channel: Fox. Is this a software problem or should I plan on replacing the hard drive? Thanks, Mark
marksponsler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 07:58 AM   #59
richierich
AKA PLASMAMANIAC

If you are only getting it on Fox it could be your reception from your antenna.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:07 AM   #60
marksponsler

Hi, thanks. I'm on cable, but I'll check the leads. We do get the poorest reception on the lower channels.
marksponsler is offline   Reply With Quote