TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-15-2004, 10:33 PM   #121
dkonarska

I have 2 series 2 TiVo dvr'S with 2 Linksys wsub11 ver 3.0 adapters.
1 TiVo begins with 130 and the other 140.
Both TiVo's are running 4.0.1b
My Linksys 55g router is running g with a disabled.

Here is my problem.
After about 10 or 20 minutes of use either one or both DVR's claim there is no adapter attached. In order for it to recognize the adapter again I have to unplug the adapter at the base and plug it back in again.

Now I know the TiVo website states that I have to use a 2.6 or 2.8 adapter with my 130 and 140 DVR's, however I'm hopping someone could tell me if there's another solution. I got both of these adapters for ~$40 a piece. I don't want to spend ~$70 a piece at the TiVo store just to get an older version of hardware.

Shouldn't TiVo work with the latest and greatest (and cheaper) hardware?

Please help.
dkonarska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 10:56 AM   #122
antalo

Re: same thing

Quote:
Originally posted by nwbills
The same exact thing is happening to me. I initially set my old PowerBook up a wireless bridge and now I have a the preferred wireless adapter...

But my TiVo won't update to the newest rev B software so I can use my new wireless adapter! What's going on? I've manually run the darn updater over 25 times. It just won't work.

I've emailed TiVo via the site and received the same instructions. Attempted to call, but got stuck in automated loops.

So I'm pretty frustrated. Anyone know if they can force me an update and how I get in touch with a live person?
Go to the page where you would restart the TIVO and highlight and select where it says Delete everything- to this effect. I guess it will wipe out everything on the drive. Mine made recordings I didn't ask for, the red recording light didn't come on when it was recording.
Anyway do this and it wil take you about a whole day to reprogam everything. It will call in over the phone, and justr follow instructions. You will have to setup everything, first the phone connection, than how you receive programming and select the channels you receive, andIt will tell you you can watch, but you can't record for 4 to 8 hrs. After all that, mine is working oK.
I am reprogramming the 2 nd TIVO now. I guess there were residual stuff left on the drive and it adversaly affected the entire system. Just like when you delete something on the peecee, yopu only delete the indexing, the info is still on the drive.
Eventually it will recognize the network adapter and you have to set it up. TC/PI etc.. From then on, it will use the network to make calls. After that make daily calls every few hrs, until it doesn't download anything anymore.
It wouldn't hurt if you restart the TIVO before you make a "Daily Call"
Let us know how it works out.
antalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 11:00 AM   #123
antalo

Quote:
Originally posted by dkonarska
I have 2 series 2 TiVo dvr'S with 2 Linksys wsub11 ver 3.0 adapters.
1 TiVo begins with 130 and the other 140.
Both TiVo's are running 4.0.1b
My Linksys 55g router is running g with a disabled.

Here is my problem.
After about 10 or 20 minutes of use either one or both DVR's claim there is no adapter attached. In order for it to recognize the adapter again I have to unplug the adapter at the base and plug it back in again.

Now I know the TiVo website states that I have to use a 2.6 or 2.8 adapter with my 130 and 140 DVR's, however I'm hopping someone could tell me if there's another solution. I got both of these adapters for ~$40 a piece. I don't want to spend ~$70 a piece at the TiVo store just to get an older version of hardware.

Shouldn't TiVo work with the latest and greatest (and cheaper) hardware?

Please help.
Please read the instructios camw with the adapters. I am sure it will tell you it will not work with the TIVO. Call Linksys. and confirm it if you don't believe. Well, now I see, you already know that. Takes those back for a refund or exchange and find the ones work with the TIVO. There is NO SHORTCUT here.
Good luck,
antalo
antalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 03:12 PM   #124
drewbenson

Any idea when WUSB54G will work?

Thank you!
drewbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 12:56 AM   #125
NPBeacher

Re: Any idea when WUSB54G will work?

Quote:
Originally posted by drewbenson
Thank you!
Ditto

TR
Old 03-27-2004, 01:03 AM   #126
madthio

Problems obtaining 4.0.1b

I am attempting to get my Linksys WUSB11 v2.8 working. I have connected several times to the TiVo service, and each time I am told: "Succeeded, pending restart". I then force a restart, wait for the screen that informs me that an update is taking place, and then go to system information. The Software Version is still reporting 4.0.1-01-2-240. I have run the update about 6 times over the last few days, with no luck. Any ideas?
madthio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:10 AM   #127
b3genom

Just want to thank everyone for the instructions scattered through the thread!

We picked up a new 80-hour Series 2 "240" model last night, along with the recommended WUSB11 wireless adapter. Got it home, hooked everything up, and activated online. Then, of course, I tried to configure networking, only to find it had no networking options. Feh!

Ran the phone cord across the floor, out of the living room, into the kitchen, and plugged in. While Guided Setup downloaded its fill over the slow phone line, I hit the forums to see what the problem was. Didn't take too long to find, although it *really* should be covered in the in-box "quick-start" guide:

The WUSB11 was v2.8, which requires v4.0.1a or later. Given there are now 2 more recent revisions now than the out-of-the-box supported v2.6, it's a good bet most folks picking up one of these are going to get the v2.8 or v3.0 WUSB11 if they buy retail. Would be *really* nice if something on the box mentioned that. In defense of Tivo, they *do* mention the versions on the Recommended Adapters webpage, but Linksys seems to have changed their packaging, making the version numbers quite hard to find.

The Series 2 we bought came with 4.0.1. From various sources, this seems to be fairly standard, so no real foul there - software gets updated post-shipping - these things happen ^^

Guided Setup needs a phone line anyway. A bit annoying, considering how our room layout is. Alleviated a bit by the fact that after the initial Guided Setup and update calls the adapter did work.

A second call must be placed *after* Guided Setup finishes, in order to download the software update. This call will tie up the phone for roughly an hour. The need for a second call wasn't mentioned at all in the docs. Were it not for the forums, I'd still be at v4.0.1 until tomorrow night, wondering in the meantime why my adapter wasn't working! Ideally, though, this would be taken care of during the Guided Setup process.

After the call, the Tivo will go into "Pending restart" mode, and can either be restarted manually, or will automatically do so at 2am. Another bit of wisdom from the forums. Great stuff.

Once the restart finishes - the WUSB11 v2.8 gets detected, networking options are available, and the rest, as they say, is history!

The rocky start was unexpected and annoying, but the fact that after a bit of manual prodding everything works is a testament to the usefulness of the forums. Thanks again!
b3genom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:42 AM   #128
madthio

Forcing and upgrade to 4.0.1b

Just responding to my own post...
It turns out that the dial-up location that I was using did not offer the 4.0.1b update. Changing to a different dial-up number resolved the problem immediatly. So, if for some reason anyone else runs into a similar problem, try a different dial-up number.
madthio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 01:12 PM   #129
davidallen

Linksys WET54G bridge

A call to Linksys elicits the recommendation to use their G bridge - the WET54G (rather than the WUSB54G network adapter, which does not yet work). They indicate the bridge will work with series 2 TiVo's. It has the advantage of also supporting USB 2, a good bit faster than USB 1.1. Do we know for sure, one way or the other, whether it will be recognized?

Thanks, David
davidallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 01:21 PM   #130
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Originally posted by davidallen
Linksys WET54G bridge

A call to Linksys elicits the recommendation to use their G bridge - the WET54G (rather than the WUSB54G network adapter, which does not yet work). They indicate the bridge will work with series 2 TiVo's. It has the advantage of also supporting USB 2, a good bit faster than USB 1.1. Do we know for sure, one way or the other, whether it will be recognized?

Thanks, David
Using a bridge will work (others have done it). As far as the TiVo knows, it connected to a wired ethernet connection -- because the USB adapter plugged into the TiVo is a USB to ethernet adapter -- which then goes to the bridge

The TiVo units do not yet support USB 2.0 yet. TiVo units that have a TSN that begins with a "2" have USB 2.0 hardware, but the drivers are still at USB 1.1

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 01:31 PM   #131
davidallen

Thanks, Bob.

So even a wired Ethernet connection is effectively bottlenecked at the USB 1.1 speed of 1.5 MBs? That would argue against the trouble of a wired connection. And put front and center - when will USB 2, and WUSB54G, be enabled ...
Old 04-01-2004, 04:58 PM   #132
bedelman
Call me Bob

USB 1.1 has an upper limit of 12Mb/sec

Even so, people with wired (and 802.11g bridged) connections report much better transfer speeds. With 802.11b it takes 20-25 minutes to transfer a 30-minute show recorded in Basic Quality. On a wired connection, it's something like 5 minutes or so.

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
Old 04-01-2004, 08:30 PM   #133
davidallen

Quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
USB 1.1 has an upper limit of 12Mb/sec
The difference between your little b and my big B - 12Mbits/sec is 1.5 MBytes/sec of course. Though the speeds are usually quoted in bits, it's true ...

Quote:
Even so, people with wired (and 802.11g bridged) connections report much better transfer speeds. With 802.11b it takes 20-25 minutes to transfer a 30-minute show recorded in Basic Quality. On a wired connection, it's something like 5 minutes or so.
This is key stuff, and I'm still not on board: There is only one port in (my) Series 2 box, the USB. If it only works at 1.1 speeds, whether wired or wireless the connection speed is limited to that USB's 12 Mb/sec. And both wired and wireless are (almost) capable of that. How is a four to five times factor of speed difference possible?

Thanks in advance for the enlightenment! Determines what I get to connect to the net. David
Old 04-02-2004, 04:25 PM   #134
steelio

Great stuff I finally plunged in and got my s2 tivo. Have a S1 and hate the dialing up (Stringing phone cord across the kitchen and living room 1 a week or so). I just bought the dwl-122 that is supposed to work right? According to this post earlier.
I love to see these posts grow like this. The reason I bought this one was I could not find the linksys. Or very many of the other ones here locally. Really sucks.
<dire straights> I want my wireless G </dire Straights>
steelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 05:17 PM   #135
mrtim
Newer Than Most

Quote:
Originally posted by davidallen
This is key stuff, and I'm still not on board: There is only one port in (my) Series 2 box, the USB. If it only works at 1.1 speeds, whether wired or wireless the connection speed is limited to that USB's 12 Mb/sec. And both wired and wireless are (almost) capable of that. How is a four to five times factor of speed difference possible?
It's a matter of how much bandwidth these networks provide in the real world.

In theory you get 54Mbps from wireless G and 11Mbps from wireless B. In theory you get 12Mbps from USB 1 and 480Mbps from USB 2. In theory then, with a USB 1 port in the way, you see 12 from G and 11 from B. Not a big difference.

But in the real world, bandwidth won't reach these maximum speeds, and for the most part the percentage of maximum bandwidth is comparable between B and G networks. In other words an environment that gives you 50% of maximum for a B network will also give you around 50% of a G.

So forget about USB 2 for the moment. How fast is a wireless network in your house likely to be? Let's assume that in your environment you are getting 50% of of the maximum bandwidth, which is a reasonable guess. 50% comes out to 5.1Mbps on B and 27Mbps on G. The G will max out the USB1, so you're really only getting 12Mbps with G. So what? 12Mbps is still more than double our real world B speed of 5.1Mbps.

Now suppose you are only getting 25% of max. Now you've got 2.75 Mbps with a B, but your effective G speed is 13.5 Mbps; still beyond the 12 Mbps that the USB1 is capable of. Now you're beyond a factor of four.

I'd be a little disappointed if 25% was the best my wireless lan could provide, but it's not unusual. I see about 60% of max from my TV to my access point, so I would expect bandwidth to my Tivo to be about 6.6Mbps with B vs 12Mbps with G. I'll still take the G, thanks.

Bottom line: if you live in a real house, with any real distance (or things like walls) between your TiVo and your wireless access point, G is likely to make a noticable difference. The lower your wireless network efficiency, the more you want G.
mrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 11:30 PM   #136
bedelman
Call me Bob

I'm by no means an authority on this but with 802.11b/g and a wireless access point/router, I understand that the data first has to go from the TiVo to the wireless access point and then the wireless access point needs to turn around and send it to the other TiVo. So, right away your throughput is cut by one half (from 11Mb/sec to 5.5Mb/sec). In the real world of my house, I can do no better than 2.2Mb/sec with 802.11b (in a wireless to wireless connection). If I'm really far away from the access point, it goes down to 1.1Mb/sec for a wireless to wireless connection.

If you do peer-to-peer wireless with the TiVo units (with no access point), the throughput is faster but I don't think you can have a network in this mode (necessary for Music/Photos and Internet connectivity)

Old 04-03-2004, 09:29 PM   #137
davidallen

Thanks, Bob, and thanks, mrtim. Nice analysis, mrtim, and nice corroboration, Bob.

Nonetheless if there is some consistency in differentials between b adaptors versus g adaptors or wired Ethernet, I'm wondering if there isn't more here than meets the eye at the moment. It wouldn't seem that everyone would have a degraded b signal, certainly to the extent of a four or five times difference. As you point out mrtim, your own experience, just for example, indicates more in the range of a two times difference.

Think this calls for more poking around, so here we go to poke around ...

Again thanks, David
Old 04-07-2004, 03:03 PM   #138
gps

is home media option required for wireless?

Is the home media option required in order to use a wireless adaptor on a series 2 tivo (so that no phone line need be run to the tivo)?
gps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 04:39 PM   #139
futerfas

nope, it will work fine without it
"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara
futerfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 01:29 PM   #140
aero_22

Netgear MR814 802.11b compatibility

Q: I have a Tivo Series 2 unit, and will purchase shortly the HMO.
My current wireless network in my home uses the Netgear MR814 802.11b router.

This is a popular router, so hoping someone else out there with this router has decided to get HMO, and wanted to know if it works best with the Tivo recommended adaptor (Linksys WUSB11) or better to get the NETGEAR MA101 V.B to keep all the 802.11b items from the same manufacturer?
aero_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 03:18 PM   #141
bluestringsoup

Re: Any idea when WUSB54G will work?

Quote:
Originally posted by drewbenson
Thank you!

I tried a WUSB54G - its power light came on but the tivo wouldnt aknowledge its existence. When I plugged in a WUSB11 it worked straight away. I'm happy I just want to dump my phone line :-)
bluestringsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:35 AM   #142
aero_22

Greatly appreciate it ff someone could revert on the question below - TIA!

Netgear MR814 802.11b compatibility
Q: I have a Tivo Series 2 unit, and will purchase shortly the HMO.
My current wireless network in my home uses the Netgear MR814 802.11b router.

This is a popular router, so hoping someone else out there with this router has decided to get HMO, and wanted to know if it works best with the Tivo recommended adaptor (Linksys WUSB11) or better to get the NETGEAR MA101 V.B to keep all the 802.11b items from the same manufacturer?
Old 04-23-2004, 03:09 PM   #143
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Aero wrote me privately as well. As far as I'm aware, if you use a compatible network adapter (as listed at http://www.tivo.com/adapters/) and your router is compatible with your apapter and with 802.11b, then everything should work fine. It shouldn't matter if they're from the same manufacturer or not.

Personally, for example, at home I use the recommended Linksys adapter but my router is from Netgear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 03:32 PM   #144
aero_22

TiVoOpsMgr,

Thanks for prompt reply on PM and the above posting! My confidence is WAY up about mixing the recommended Linksys adapter with my Netgear router, considering that you have the same in your house.

THANKS
Old 04-23-2004, 10:02 PM   #145
aero_22

I purchased the Linksys WUSB11 adapter tonight, and it works great so far with my Netgear MR814 802.11b router. Nice, easy setup!
Old 04-27-2004, 11:08 AM   #146
pluevano

Arrow Forced update, now will not power up

Hello-

After getting my first S2, I thought it was so good, I got a second for my folks (S2, 80hr). I wanted to get all the setup done for them, so all they had to do is plug it in. I cleared all the data from the previous owner, went through the setup call, and all seemed fine. I plugged in the Linksys USB wireless adapter I'm using on my TiVo so I could set up the wireless networking for them. It didn't recognize the adapter. I read these forums, and saw that I need to upgrade the software version to 4.0.1b. I forced the update through the phone update and got the message that I needed to power cycle the TiVo. I do this.

I now get the "Powering Up" screen for about a minute. Then the green LED on the front of the TiVo goes out, then all I get is a black screen. I have tried power cycling it several times, same result. I let it sit, powered off overnight and restarted. Same result.

What are my options at this point?

Thanks, and please let me know if more information is needed!

Paul.
pluevano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 12:47 PM   #147
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Paul, sorry that you had this issue. Please contact customer support; they can guide you through some troubleshooting that might revive your folks' unit.

Best regards,
Stephen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 01:42 PM   #148
pluevano

Stephen-

I called them last night, and after plugging the unit into a different outlet at their request, same results. The best that support could offer after that was "We have an exchange program for $149."

I'm going to create a backup of my (healthy) TiVo and use it to boot the new (unhealthy) one up. Hopefully that will do the trick. Will update with results next week.

Thanks,
Paul.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:02 PM   #149
ccwf
国際化 Member

Sorry to thread hijack, but a newbie posted in another thread that it's not clear from this thread whether or not it's possible to perform initial guided setup without a landline.

The answer to that question is that TiVo only officially supports using a phone line for initial guided setup.

Unofficially and unsupported, a number of people have also managed to perform initial guided setup with some types of wired Ethernet adapters. For more details, see the TiVo Help Center sticky threadBefore you ask—please check these top answers for TiVo questions!

TiVo

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 01:37 PM   #150
pluevano

Just a quick followup on the dead TiVo. I wiped the parents hard drive clean, then created a copy of mine onto it. Since then, everything seems to be happy. I guess there was just a 0 where TiVo wanted a 1 or something.