TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-11-2004, 04:13 PM   #91
futerfas

Quote:
Originally posted by beecherc
I love my Tivo, run NT, XP and Linux at home, am wireless but . .

I'm unfortunately one of the Directv people (w/ Samsung 4040R running 3.1.1b and service = 381) who, as near as I can tell, are some sort of outcast subgroup. Is this true? How can I upgrade my system? It successfully made the connection as recently as yesterday. What is the deal? Why are we not getting the upgrade?
DirecTiVo units aren't getting the upgrade. This was DirecTV's decision, not TiVo's.
"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara
futerfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 09:53 PM   #92
BigW

Hi, I just hooked up my Toshiba SD-H400 yesterday. It is currently still hooked up to the phone line, but I have purchased a Linksys WUSB11 v3 for hookup to my wireless network. Now according to the top post, I need software version 5.1.1b. So I looked at the system information on my unit and the software version is listed as 5.1-01-2-264. It is not obvious to me if this version is correct for use with the aforementioned wireless adapter. If it is not, I assume I can just submit a request for the right version via the link in the top post? Thanks.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:19 PM   #93
beecherc

Quote:
Originally posted by futerfas
DirecTiVo units aren't getting the upgrade. This was DirecTV's decision, not TiVo's.
Is there a work around for 3.1.1b? I have seen work arounds for everything up to 3.0 and now see that 4.0 and up is officially supported(?).
beecherc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 02:07 AM   #94
drusoicy

So apprently I can use the WUSB12 with my 810H...but I will need a software upgrade, correct?

If I am using TiVo BASIC, will I still get the upgrade, or is it only for TiVo Plus? If that is the case, does that mean I cant use wireless?

Also, at what step in the setup process can I go wireless?
drusoicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:51 AM   #95
bedelman
Call me Bob

I believe the WUSB12 will work without any upgrade for the Pioneer since it comes with version 5.2 of the TiVo software. Check out the official supported adapter page at http://www.tivo.com/adapters . You should get any software upgrades regardless of whether or not you're running TiVo Plus. Wireless works with TiVo Basic.

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 06:21 AM   #96
WarEagle

Cannot find Wireless setup

My setup is the same as BigW. I have the Toshiba SD-H400 with the Linksys WUSB11 v3.0 adapter. I have had the Tivo for just over a week, and this week I tried to connect it to my network. The lights on the adapter come on, so it is getting power, however, I cannot find the wireless setup. I am at work right now, so I don't know the exact tivo software version number, but it does start with 5.1. Anyway, after hooking up the adapter, I went to settings->phone and network->edit phone or network settings, but in here, there are only phone settings, I cannot find any way to get to the network settings. So it sounds to me like the Tivo is not recognizing my adapter. Any ideas?
WarEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 10:28 PM   #97
BigW

OK, for lack of any new information here, I just tried hooking up the wireless adapter to see if it would work. Worked just fine! The setup menus recognized that the adapter had been hooked up and found my network without any problem. The test connection also came back with good status. I did not force a connection with the TiVo service, but I will check when the last successful connection was found tomorrow.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:10 PM   #98
thatgirlsab

Toshiba SD-H400

I too have a Toshiba SD-H400. From what I can tell, I need to connect to the TiVo service once more, which means I need to drag the box to my boyfriend's house to use his land line again. I am hoping that during this second phone call I will get the updated software for the Toshiba box and then see the network options in the Phone Settings menu...?

thatgirlsab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 08:06 AM   #99
BigW

Thatgirlsab, I am no expert, but I do not *think* you have to connect to a land line to do this. From your post, it looks like you have already done the guided setup. Before you drag your box over to your friends house, just try hooking up the wireless adapter. When I did this, a new message appeared in the messages area indicating a wireless adapter was detected and I was able to do my setup. After that I did a test connection which indicated all was well. As far as I can tell, there was no land line call made (I did still have my phone line hooked up during this setup).
Old 02-16-2004, 11:56 AM   #100
Jcooper93

I have a Linksys WUSB12 hooked up to my Series2 Tivo (service number begins with 240) so it should work. But it isn't. My software version is 4.0.1b. My router works fine. Am I missing something?

J
Jcooper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 04:03 PM   #101
thatgirlsab

Quote:
Originally posted by BigW
Thatgirlsab, I am no expert, but I do not *think* you have to connect to a land line to do this. From your post, it looks like you have already done the guided setup. Before you drag your box over to your friends house, just try hooking up the wireless adapter. When I did this, a new message appeared in the messages area indicating a wireless adapter was detected and I was able to do my setup. After that I did a test connection which indicated all was well. As far as I can tell, there was no land line call made (I did still have my phone line hooked up during this setup).
That's the problem though...even after I did Guided Setup, I plugged in my wireless adapter and it was not found. And there was no "edit phone or network settings" option in the menu...just "edit phone settings." I'm using the Netgear MA111 which is supposed to be supported in Toshiba TiVo software version 5.1.1b, so I think I need to call in and download that one. However, I haven't signed up for service yet as I'm using the TiVo Basic service that came with the box, so I don't know if my box will even be recognized. I want to sign up for the TiVo Plus trial but at this point have to do that with a phone line too...aargh.

Thanks for your reply...I am hoping that after I try another call or two I get the latest software for my box and also am able to get the magic message indicating a wireless adapter was detected!

I found this message (h t t p://research.tivo.com/401bpriority/401binstructions.html) that I assume was the page you got after you submitted a priority upgrade request, which looks like is no longer needed.

I guess the most frustrating part is that I called Toshiba tech support and they weren't helpful at all. I called TiVo tech support and got a maze of automated options that eventually instructed me to call Toshiba.

Oh well...I'm not one to give up too easily!
Old 02-16-2004, 08:45 PM   #102
thatgirlsab

Okay...I've got an update.

To recap, I have a Toshiba SD-H400 and a Netgear MA111. I do not have a land line, so I unpacked the new box and dialed into guided setup from my boyfriend's house. After completing guided setup, I went home and plugged it in, only to find that it would not recognize my wireless adapter -- I didn't get the "edit phone and network settings" option, only "edit phone settings."

So tonight, I brought the box back over the my boyfriend's place and dialed in again. I signed up for the TiVo Plus free trial so that my box's info would be in TiVo's system. In the same phone call, it downloaded the new software, version 5.1.1b. I restarted the machine and it now sees my wireless adapter! Success!

A few things to know: when the box is calling in, after a few minutes it will go to Live TV. You can still press the TiVo button and go into System Information to see what the status of your call is. It will say something like "Downloading...phone in use" while it's connected and then go to "Loading data" when it disconnects. Then it will say "pending restart."

Once you restart, you should hopefully see the new software version in your system info. If you do not, force a call to TiVo and try it again...I think I may have gotten lucky...I was expecting to have to make two separate phone calls to get it to work.

Good luck, everyone! Now I can enjoy my first TiVo...I can't wait!
Old 02-17-2004, 06:33 AM   #103
WarEagle

I got my wireless connection working Saturday, but I had some problems along the way. As I said in my previous post, first it did not see that I had an adapter. It took a couple of days and a few restarts before some magic happened and it saw it. Then I set up the connection, and it said it had the wireless connection. But when I tried to actually connect, it did not work. Then, when changing some settings, the system rebooted. The next few times I tried setting up the network, I kept having a problem with the system rebooting. And it would also reboot in the middle of a reboot. Usually, I didn't have time to sit there and count the reboots, but many times it booted at least twice. Anyway, I eventually got all my settings set correctly, and IT WORKED!! I have not had any problems since.
WarEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:19 PM   #104
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Folks, sorry to not answer all of the questions here sooner. I just wanted to post here to say that the first post in this thread has been updated since 4.0.1b (and similarly 5.1.1b and 5.2.1a for Toshiba and Pioneer respectively) are now released to all customers. You will receive the latest software version on your first call to the TiVo service after completing Guided Setup.

Bottom line, you must complete Guided Setup with a phone line, and probably use a phone line for one more call to get the latest software. If you don't see the network setup options, that means your adapter isn't recognized. Check to make sure it's a supported adapter, and then check to see that you have the latest software. Let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,
Stephen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 11:25 AM   #105
faztcobra

Boy, where was this thread a few days ago? Better yet, where was I? It detailed everything that I've been through on my own. This thread would have saved me some frustration and several trips to a friend's house for use of a telephone if I had found it sooner. Anyway, it took 3 days, but I got everything working!
faztcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 12:46 PM   #106
John Wilson

Question Will the WUSB 111 v2.5 work on my TiVo S2?

I have a chance to buy a WUSB111 v2.5 from someone. I had him confirm that it is v2.5. It isn't mentioned in any threads about compatibility so I'm asking here if anyone has had sucess using it in their wireless network.

Thanks for any and all replies.

John

Timing is Everything
John Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 04:46 PM   #107
musictoo

Has anyone found a wired USB network adapter connected to a wireless bridge to be any faster than a wireless USB adapter? Just wondering. Gettin' itchy for that G stuff to come down the pike. In the meantime I've set the quality setting to the lowest to speed up the transfers. Waaayyy to slow at the moment. Also I can confirm that both my 2 day old and my 4 month old S2's are at 4.01b without any intervention on my part.
musictoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 05:20 PM   #108
futerfas

there is a thread about someone who used a wired adapter to a wireless-g bridge.
"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara
futerfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 08:07 PM   #109
musictoo

Thanks! Found it.
musictoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:18 AM   #110
bkeith

I don't understand why support wasn't implemented for the Prism chipset, which would have automatically enabled a wide range of adapters. Netstumbler, Knoppix and PHLAK did so, albeit for different reasons, but it seems like one way to go that would get a lot of people up and running, without having to hunt around for a few specific models.

Is this likely to come any time soon?
bkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:27 PM   #111
bbbronks
Appreciative lurker

I guess this is a dumb question, but could someone explain to me simply what the benefit of using a wireless adapter is?
I'm not sure I even understand the basic setup---is the idea that my broadband modem signal goes through a router that allows me to connect my PC to the internet, and also go to this wireless thing that then gives my TiVo the ability to download program guide data without using the phone? I get that, but are there any other benefits?
Thanks.
bbbronks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:48 PM   #112
bkeith

Isn't that enough?

Oh, and "Sure. Correct, with an appropriate wireless router. Not much".
bkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:22 AM   #113
antalo

Quote:
Originally posted by faztcobra
Boy, where was this thread a few days ago? Better yet, where was I? It detailed everything that I've been through on my own. This thread would have saved me some frustration and several trips to a friend's house for use of a telephone if I had found it sooner. Anyway, it took 3 days, but I got everything working!
If You have a S2 TIVO, you don't need a phone. Simply plug in the USB adapter and you may have to unplug and plug the TIVO in or do a "restart" on it. It will recognise the adapter and will provide you with the setup screen.

I didn't use a phone. Of course if you plug in a phone line, it will reconise it.
antalo
antalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 08:06 AM   #114
BlueXanaX
tivo@bluexanax.net

Thanks, this is what I was going to do next with my 2 Direct Tivo SD DVR 40's. I have one upgraded to 243 hours, the other I am working on, and had a question, but it is not related to networking. I have upgraded my second Direct Tivo, (Tivo 2), Hughes SD-DVR 40, which has a 40gig ata 133 maxtor in it, by simply adding a B drive, a 120 gig maxtor, then by using the mfsadd command to marry/expand the drives. I now want to upgrade this unit, with 2 160 gig drives, like I did my first one. I want to keep the movies that I have already recorded. Should I just use the dd command, and copy each hard drive, the 40 gig to the 160 gig, then the 120gig to the 160 gig. Then use the Mfsadd command to expand them, I think that by copying them, they will stay married???

I know that it will take a very long time to copy the 120gig drive. The 40 gig, which I keep a backup hard drive of, with no movies, only the software for the SD-DVR 40 on, took about 10 hours to copy, and this was on a 2 ghz celeron pc. I don't see a problem doing this, except for the swap file, copying the drives with the dd command will only image them, then using the mfsadd to expand/marry the drives would only see the extra space. Will I run into problems, as I will be over the 180 gig threshold for this tivo unit, as far as with the swap file space. If so, how do I increase it.??

Thanks,
BlueXanaX
BlueXanaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 12:40 AM   #115
Dowsie

I can confirm that having carefully examined the Linksys packaging, documentation and hardware, there is no indication of the version#!

I'm guessing that as a newly stocked item from Best Buy its probably a most recent version......
Dowsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:02 AM   #116
ruc2827

Quote:
Originally posted by Dowsie
I can confirm that having carefully examined the Linksys packaging, documentation and hardware, there is no indication of the version#!

I'm guessing that as a newly stocked item from Best Buy its probably a most recent version......
Instructions on finding the version number for WUSB11 2.6 and 2.8 adapaters. The version is in very small cryptic letters next to the UPC code. The same should apply for version 3.0 unless they changed packaging again.
ruc2827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 11:24 PM   #117
SYED

I have a series 2 tivo dvr, linksys wsub11 ver 2.8

Per instructions, I made a tivo phone cord connection using the phone line. After the download was successful, I Disconnected power chord from dvr. I connected the wireless adapted and connected the power to dvr.

I still have swr version 4.0.1-01-2.240

Why is it not updating? I am following all the instructions. This Tivo should be hassle free. I hate this.
SYED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 12:23 PM   #118
antalo

Quote:
Originally posted by SYED
I have a series 2 tivo dvr, linksys wsub11 ver 2.8

Per instructions, I made a tivo phone cord connection using the phone line. After the download was successful, I Disconnected power chord from dvr. I connected the wireless adapted and connected the power to dvr.

I still have swr version 4.0.1-01-2.240

Why is it not updating? I am following all the instructions. This Tivo should be hassle free. I hate this.
Restart TIVO, manually make daily call, do this until it updates, or just hang in there, eventually it will update.
antalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:38 PM   #119
nwbills

Question same thing

The same exact thing is happening to me. I initially set my old PowerBook up a wireless bridge and now I have a the preferred wireless adapter...

But my TiVo won't update to the newest rev B software so I can use my new wireless adapter! What's going on? I've manually run the darn updater over 25 times. It just won't work.

I've emailed TiVo via the site and received the same instructions. Attempted to call, but got stuck in automated loops.

So I'm pretty frustrated. Anyone know if they can force me an update and how I get in touch with a live person?
nwbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:13 PM   #120
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

NWbills, sorry that you're having trouble. Please e-mail me at estephen@tivo.com.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote