TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-14-2004, 01:47 PM   #61
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Wilke
This is the one I have but TiVo doesn't see it or at least I don't think so. In settings, it doesn't give me the option to choose to hook up via network/TCP/IP so I assume that is because it doesn't see the USB adapter and therefore figures my only option is to hook up via phone.
OK -- so you have the Linksys WUSB11 or WUSB12 adapter? If it's the WUSB11, which version?

What version of the TiVo software are you running? (it shows in the System Information screen)

You will have to put your Netgear router into mixed mode though (although the TiVo should see the USB adapter regardless of whether or not it can "see" your network)

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:51 PM   #62
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Originally posted by tpatch
Does a broadband connection allow Tivo to download quicker? And/or more frequently? Just curious.
Just faster -- not necessarily more frequently (unless you have HMO in which case it does a mini-check to see if there are any remotely schedule events it needs to handle.

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
Old 01-14-2004, 05:51 PM   #63
Geraint

a successful wireless connection

I got my tivo set up wirelessly! Hoorah. It tokk me 10 days but I'm there. I have a variety of left over bits if anyone is interested and maybe a few answers. Additional usb adapter, 100 feet of phone line, phone over power line adaptors.....

You need a phone for the initial setup. That gets you local dialing numbers and the first schedule. This allowed me to use the tivo and see tv.

I then signed up for the plus service and finally connected by phone again because I could not get the wireless c onnection recognised - no menu option revealed itself. The second phone connection was a 70 min download with new software which once it has installed itself saw the wireless adapter after which set up was a breeze.

So, you need two - 2 - initial phone set ups, not one.

Geraint
Geraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 06:21 PM   #64
dwichman
TiVo iLLiterate

new Series2 wireless success in < 12 hours

Received my 40Hr Series2 in the mail yesterday. Hooked it up as per instructions. Sent a request last night at around 8pm to be updated to 4.0.1b software since I had a D-Link DWL-122 waiting to go. Woke up this morning to a message that said my software had been updated, to 4.0.1b indeed. Plugged in my D-Link DWL-122 and rebooted to be sure. TiVo said it had to update my Wireless adaptor's firmware, and it did, pretty slick. Then I completed the steps in the Network Settings and I was done.

No more phone line!

TiVoOps guy, thanks for making the process easy and sending out the update in such a timely fashion.
dwichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:12 AM   #65
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Hi folks! I'm updating my first post to reflect that we are now releasing 4.0.1b automatically to all new TiVo and Sony Series2 standalone customers.

If you set up a new Series2 DVR that has never called our servers previously, you don't need to do anything to get 4.0.1b -- no form submissions, no e-mails to me -- it's automatic! After you complete Guided Setup, your first connection will download 4.0.1b.

If you signed up for the Home Media Option free trial or for Home Media Option, you should already have received 4.0.1b.

Otherwise, for any other Series2 DVR that's already set up and connecting to the TiVo service: We are beginning the rollout process this week. It'll start slowly at first, and then eventually get to all of you. You can either wait to get 4.0.1b, or if you need it sooner, you can sign up for it using the priority form (http://research.tivo.com/401bpriorit...priority.html/).

Let me know if you have any questions or problems!

[Edit for clarification]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TiVoOpsMgr : 01-16-2004 at 12:35 PM.
TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:51 AM   #66
futerfas

So will it still be that extremely long software version number, or does this release shorten it? And for the people that allready have it, I'm assuming that nothing will happen to them.
"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara
futerfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 12:25 PM   #67
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Hi futerfas,

Since 4.0.1b is now released and being rolled out ("throwing the big switch" in the old parlance), it has a nice new short version string.

Anyone who had the old long version string will get the new short version string in a few days. It'll be another software download and reboot, but that will happen very quickly since you're on broadband now. The two versions are bit for bit identical except for the length of the version number string.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:35 AM   #68
gudac

Hope I'm not off the track here, but I use the Apple Airport. I don't have broadband available at my home and for my TiVo to connect daily it is a Toll Call. With the broadband option I put a Belkin USB to WiFi 802.11b adapter on my TiVo and it communicates with my Apple Airport. The Airport is one of original ones. 802.11b with a modem that makes a Dial Up connection. Not the fastest, but now my TiVo updates via the Internet and i avoid the daily toll calls.

gudac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 11:17 AM   #69
Jim Wilke

Quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
OK -- so you have the Linksys WUSB11 or WUSB12 adapter? If it's the WUSB11, which version?

What version of the TiVo software are you running? (it shows in the System Information screen)

You will have to put your Netgear router into mixed mode though (although the TiVo should see the USB adapter regardless of whether or not it can "see" your network)
I have several problems that probably can't be solved:

1. My adapter is a Linksys WUSB54G which is not on the approved list.
2. My software is 4.0.1 - 01 - 2 - 240. I ran guided setup again a week ago after I supposedly was sent the update but it didn't seem to 'take.' When I go to 'Phone and Network Setup' there is no option to select 'Wireless Network.'
3. My wireless network router is a NetGear WGR614 which runs in 'G' mode only; I don't believe it will go to mixed mode. The adapter will run in B or G but the router won't so I am, in a word, screwed. For now.

Actually, this is no big deal to me. I have a separate phone line that is rarely used and my TiVo uses this line through a wireless modem hookup. It probably connects 85-90% of the time. What I think I'll do is.....wait. In a few months, TiVo will roll out full G support and I'll switch over then.
Jim Wilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:18 PM   #70
Michael Becker

I have had a series 2 for little over a year. It has the latest software on it. I have been on digital cable. I just went down and bought a directtv with a tivo. Will I be able to connect the two tivos with a wireless or wire ethernet adapter so that I will be able to view what I recorded on the other tivo? I have heard that you do not have to be part of the home media option to do this. I was just concerned if the 2 tivos are compatible, series 2 and a directtv tivo. Also, will my older tivo be able to record two programs at once or is that what the directtv tivo does exclusively. What difference are there between the two? Do they both offer the exact same options? I know the directtv tivo is a 35 hour model only.
Thanks for the help.
Mike
Michael Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 07:33 PM   #71
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:

You are right, but perhaps it will in the future
Quote:
2. My software is 4.0.1 - 01 - 2 - 240. I ran guided setup again a week ago after I supposedly was sent the update but it didn't seem to 'take.' When I go to 'Phone and Network Setup' there is no option to select 'Wireless Network.'
You won't see the option until a supported adapter is attached
Quote:
3. My wireless network router is a NetGear WGR614 which runs in 'G' mode only; I don't believe it will go to mixed mode. The adapter will run in B or G but the router won't so I am, in a word, screwed. For now.
As far as I know, most 802.11g routers will run in mixed-mode. In some cases, it's necessary to update the firmware in the router. Although you'd still have to change out your USB adapter since it's not currently supported. I just checked Netgear's site and it is indicated that it will support both modes -- http://www.netgear.com/products/deta...R614.asp?view=

Old 01-19-2004, 04:11 PM   #72
dk_dynamite

I have the Linksys WUSB11 (ver. 2.6) and a Tivo Series2 DVR running version 4.0.1b.2003.12.02-1731-01-2-240.

For some reason, my Tivo unit is unable to maintain a connection with my wireless network. The connection is established initially (IP is issued in my router logs and the Tivo software on my PC shows my unit).

But then the connection fails with the following error: "Warning: Local gateway unreachable."

I did try connecting the WUSB11 to my laptop and it worked fine...

Any thoughts?
dk_dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 08:49 PM   #73
Dr_Zoidberg

FYI, COMP USA is selling the Netgear MA111 wireless USB plugin (can sit right on the back of the unit) for $29.99, after a rebate.

My brand-new Tivo downloaded the 4.0.1b update, and just now I plugged in the MA111. It was immediately recognized, and I was able to enter in my 128 bit WEP key on my hidden network (I don't broadcast its' name) , and everything went well on the first try.

Thank you TiVo people! Now, about wireless G...
Dr_Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 08:18 PM   #74
tivofanatic

I have the Pioneer 810H, Linksys USB and updated the software to 5.2.1. For some reason I do not have the option to edit the network. I have the option of Phone and Network, then the next option is Phone - there is no choice of changing the Network. I have unplugged the TIVO and the system has reset on it's own, but still no option to set up the network. Please help!
tivofanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 09:34 PM   #75
dk_dynamite

Quote:
Originally posted by dk_dynamite
I have the Linksys WUSB11 (ver. 2.6) and a Tivo Series2 DVR running version 4.0.1b.2003.12.02-1731-01-2-240.

For some reason, my Tivo unit is unable to maintain a connection with my wireless network. The connection is established initially (IP is issued in my router logs and the Tivo software on my PC shows my unit).

But then the connection fails with the following error: "Warning: Local gateway unreachable."

I did try connecting the WUSB11 to my laptop and it worked fine...

Any thoughts?
I actually resolved my own issue. Initially, I had WEP (40-bit) enabled. Once I disabled it, everything worked fine. I was then able to re-enable WEP at 128-bit and everything continued to work fine. Not sure why the initial encryption did not work, but it's all good now.
dk_dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 09:36 PM   #76
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
I have the Pioneer 810H, Linksys USB and updated the software to 5.2.1. For some reason I do not have the option to edit the network. I have the option of Phone and Network, then the next option is Phone - there is no choice of changing the Network. I have unplugged the TIVO and the system has reset on it's own, but still no option to set up the network. Please help!
Which LinkSys USB? WUSB11 or WUSB12? If it's the WUSB11, which version (look under the black velcro strip on the bottom)? If it's a different LinkSys adapter (the 802.11g one for example), the WUSB11 and WUSB12 are the only ones that work.

(Note -- this assumes that you're referring to the wireless LinkSys adapters. They also make ethernet USB adapters, some which work with TiVo)

FYI -- the official list of supported adapters can be found at http://www.tivo.com/adapters

Old 01-25-2004, 09:50 PM   #77
tivofanatic

I have Linksys WUSB11g 802.54g wireless.
tivofanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:46 PM   #78
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Originally posted by tivofanatic
I have Linksys WUSB11g 802.54g wireless.
That adapter is currently not supported, which is why you're not getting the network options.

Old 01-26-2004, 08:18 AM   #79
futerfas

You need a 802.11b adapter. Check out www.tivo.com/adapters for currentlty supported adapters
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
Old 01-26-2004, 04:18 PM   #80
spelcheker
Giant Forehead Dude

Heads up everyone. Best buy is now selling the WUSB11 for 40 bucks after rebate, so I picked one up. However, there is no way to tell from the box what version it is. Linksys has changed the packaging.

WAIT! There it is! In exTREMEly small print under the UPC.

WUSB v2.8-pkg-30610A

Neeeeverrrr Mind...

(This phenomenon seems to be related to the one where I ask "Where are the green peas?" at the grocery store and the guy says, "Right next to you, Sir.")
Old 01-28-2004, 07:45 PM   #81
jedgolf

Question

little disapointed, purchased the recommended adapter from Tivo website; received linksys 3.0 which apparently doen't work with Pioneer product (even though I assumed I was being directed to the 3.0 version because of my service number prefix of 275). Now I have to wait 2 more days for the system upgrade to 5.2.1a to determine if this HMO is of any value.
jedgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 06:16 PM   #82
antalo

Quote:

Actually, this is no big deal to me. I have a separate phone line that is rarely used and my TiVo uses this line through a wireless modem hookup. It probably connects 85-90% of the time. What I think I'll do is.....wait. In a few months, TiVo will roll out full G support and I'll switch over then.
I have the same set up this young man has. I don't have any problems using the Linksys WUSB11, but it wont recognize the WUSB54g. My TIVO software version is still 4.0.1-01 etc.... I don't have 4.0.1a or b .
How do I get the ...b version ? I have lifetime the whole nine yards.

I have another question, not related here, but I am sure some of you guys can help me out. I have 4 TIVOs, 2 series 1 and 2 series 2. The series ones are modified for airnet, so everything is going through my network (wireless) The big question is, is there a way to set up the TIVO remotes for 4 different modes ? I can't find any setup to change remote settings. There are only two even if I find the set up procedures. I have to cover up the receivers in the TIVO to make sure I don't delete programs. I already did so and I am afraid one of these days it will happen again.
So please save my sanity.
antalo
antalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 05:38 PM   #83
tomo_kun
DJT0M0.

Stupid question, but if i enter my TiVo Service Number from my DirecTV DVR with TiVo, will i get the update?

tomo_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 06:09 PM   #84
futerfas

You can put it in, but nothings gonna happen
Old 02-06-2004, 08:27 PM   #85
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

FYI, pretty soon I'll be updating the top post and we'll be pulling down the priority request form, since almost all Series2 standalone units now have 4.0.1b.

Old 02-10-2004, 08:53 AM   #86
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!

Quote:
I simply can't believe the the lack of 802.11g adapter support can continue much longer. 802.11b hardware is starting to turn up in the store cutout bins. This is NOT a technology that Tivo can hang it's hat on much longer- and by that I mean a couple months at most.

Not to mention that 802.11b is hobbling the potential of HMO, particularly in regard to Multi-room viewing.

PLEASE Tivo- we need this yesterday!

Dave
kupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 03:21 PM   #87
DZeckhausen

Quote:
Originally posted by kupe
I simply can't believe the the lack of 802.11g adapter support can continue much longer. 802.11b hardware is starting to turn up in the store cutout bins. This is NOT a technology that Tivo can hang it's hat on much longer- and by that I mean a couple months at most.

Not to mention that 802.11b is hobbling the potential of HMO, particularly in regard to Multi-room viewing.

PLEASE Tivo- we need this yesterday!
You got that right!! I received my Tivo last week and immediately ordered a Linksys wireless-G access point and a WUSB54G adapter. Of course it didn't work and it was only after I came here that I discovered why. So I ran out and bought a hobbled WUSB11B adapter and, thankfully, was able to set the Linksys access point to mixed mode (802.11g & 802.11b).

I suppose I should be thankful that there's such a thing as eBay to buy up our mistakes! I even made a plug for Tivo in my eBay ad for the WUSB54G.
See eBay item: 3077369177

I can't wait for the new 802.11g and USB 2.0 software drivers. I'm also looking forward to a much better user interface for managing our music collection with Tivo. I'm bummed that it doesn't work with the songs I've purchased via iTunes. But it's a huge leap over what I had a week ago.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:14 AM   #88
drusoicy

Hi all,

I am trying to help myself here, but so many different options and conversations are making my head spin!

I need a little help, hopefully not asking too much.

I am expecting my Pioneer 810H to arrive on Thursday. I have a WRT54G Linksys router, and wireless network at home. Currently it is G-Only, but I realize I need to change it to B/G Mixed. All is well there.

Aside from that, what do I need to do to get the Tivo on the network, and at what step can I do it? What adapters work with the 810H?

Thanks so much for any help.

Andru
drusoicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:52 AM   #89
beecherc

Quote:
Originally posted by TiVoOpsMgr
FYI, pretty soon I'll be updating the top post and we'll be pulling down the priority request form, since almost all Series2 standalone units now have 4.0.1b.
I love my Tivo, run NT, XP and Linux at home, am wireless but . .

I'm unfortunately one of the Directv people (w/ Samsung 4040R running 3.1.1b and service = 381) who, as near as I can tell, are some sort of outcast subgroup. Is this true? How can I upgrade my system? It successfully made the connection as recently as yesterday. What is the deal? Why are we not getting the upgrade?
beecherc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 04:12 PM   #90
futerfas

Quote:
Originally posted by drusoicy
Hi all,

I am trying to help myself here, but so many different options and conversations are making my head spin!

I need a little help, hopefully not asking too much.

I am expecting my Pioneer 810H to arrive on Thursday. I have a WRT54G Linksys router, and wireless network at home. Currently it is G-Only, but I realize I need to change it to B/G Mixed. All is well there.

Aside from that, what do I need to do to get the Tivo on the network, and at what step can I do it? What adapters work with the 810H?

Thanks so much for any help.

Andru
Check out www.tivo.com/adapters they have all the listed working adapters that you can use