TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2004, 03:23 PM   #31
futerfas

Ok, enough about this TiVoOpsMgr, let's get back to the real problem here, the F units . What's up with those things?
"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara
futerfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 12:19 PM   #32
rseligman

I still don't understand why this is an "on-demand" release. Customers who buy off-the-shelf wireless adapters, including the "preferred" adapter recommended by TiVo, will face failure when installing them. They only way they'll know how to fix it is if they call TiVo support or find links to requesting the new software on TiVo's site.

I'm a tech- and TiVo-savvy customer, and I still wasn't aware of the on-demand software until I had to fly back home after the holidays, leaving an un-networked TiVo with a non-working adapter behind. If so many in this forum had these problems, just imagine how many "regular" customers also did.

Could the cost of updating the software really be more than the support load and frustration brought on by not updating the software? As I write this, there are probably still many customers out there who are not aware that they need to request a software update!
rseligman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 04:34 PM   #33
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Rseligman, we are definitely working to make this a general release for all customers instead of an on-demand release. The QE requirements for a general release are much more strict, and require a longer period of testing time. I will update this thread when the release is made available for all customers (although just like any other release, it will take some time before it is rolled out to everyone, to avoid overloading our servers.)

The cost of releasing the software is not a factor in this case. As always, we need to be absolutely certain that there are no issues before releasing software to everyone. But I can promise you that the release will begin as soon as we can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 04:50 PM   #34
rseligman

Quote:
Originally posted by TiVoOpsMgr
Rseligman, we are definitely working to make this a general release for all customers instead of an on-demand release.
Good to hear. Sorry, I thought I had read that the cost of releasing the update was a factor. I must have misinterpreted something.

I totally understand the quality requirements. It's just unfortunate that the update couldn't have been completed and released prior to the holiday rush, when it was most needed.
rseligman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 05:48 PM   #35
futerfas

What would be nice if when people complete guided setup or something, a message would pop up saying that if you have these adatpers, go to www.tivo.com for information on how to make them work with the tivo.
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
Old 01-02-2004, 05:58 PM   #36
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

I think I implied that cost might have been a factor for not releasing 4.0.1a to everyone earlier on. That was one factor, plus at the time, v2.8 adapters were already being replaced by v3.0 adapters, and so we decided it would be better to keep 4.0.1a an on-demand release until 4.0.1b was ready, which would be on-demand until it could be released to all. That's now our plan! More concrete details next week.

Futerfas, good idea on the message to all. We'll discuss it next week. One factor, though, is that the vast majority of our customers don't have a home network and might be confused by such a message.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:18 PM   #37
futerfas

Quote:
Originally posted by TiVoOpsMgr
Futerfas, good idea on the message to all. We'll discuss it next week. One factor, though, is that the vast majority of our customers don't have a home network and might be confused by such a message.
Good point, if there was a way to tell if they plugged in an adapter, even though it might not work, then the message might pop up then, but that doesnt seam like it's possible.

So, who want's to guess how long until 3.2 comes out
Old 01-03-2004, 03:01 PM   #38
Timber

Added a Linksys WUSB11 today, couldn't have been easier!

-=Tim=-
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 11:02 AM   #39
jaquade

Wireless G Support

Now that Linksys has USB Adapters that support Wireless G, any
ideas when Tivo will support G. The transfer time from one
unit to another is very slow.
jaquade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 03:01 PM   #40
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jaquade, we haven't announced a timeline yet for G support, but it is something we are working on.

Folks, we've processed the priority list submissions late last night, and again just now (so any submissions from yesterday are good to go, and any from this morning will be authorized for 4.0.1b as of 2:05pm today).

See this page for instructions: http://research.tivo.com/401bpriorit...tructions.html on how to get 4.0.1b after you've been authorized.

We will process the forms again tonight around 8pm Pacific. Hope you're all enjoying your "new year" weekend!

Best regards,
Stephen

Old 01-05-2004, 03:57 PM   #41
kjack7

Added the D-Link DWL-122 unit. No problems, everying came up and worked fine.
kjack7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:51 AM   #42
rookie

I've looked thru the TiVo website regarding Wireless connections and I'm looking for assistance confirming what I think I need. All I want to do at this point is use the HMO option to do multi-room viewing between my 2 TiVo units. I don't have a home network. 1) Am I correct that all I need is a Wireless USB adapter (leaning toward the Linksys WUSB12) for each TiVo unit, along with signing up for HMO...??? My assumption is that I would only need to add a wireless router from my PC if I wanted to take advantage of Photos, remote scheduling, etc... But I wouldn't need it for multi-room viewing. 2) Lastly...if I did add the wireless router and had my PC always connected to a network (DSL or even constant dial up) would my TiVo units be able to get their nightly program updates without calling in via phone line? This would be handy for one of my units that doesn't have easy access to a phone jack. Thanks...this forum is a great resource.
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 09:27 AM   #43
Dmtalon
I love Tivo...

Quote:
Originally posted by rookie
My assumption is that I would only need to add a wireless router from my PC if I wanted to take advantage of Photos, remote scheduling, etc... But I wouldn't need it for multi-room viewing. 2) Lastly...if I did add the wireless router and had my PC always connected to a network (DSL or even constant dial up) would my TiVo units be able to get their nightly program updates without calling in via phone line? This would be handy for one of my units that doesn't have easy access to a phone jack. Thanks...this forum is a great resource.
As far as I know, The Tivo units can not do "adhoc" connections so you will need some sort of wireless adapter to put both Tivo's together. To answer your last question, yes the nightly calls would / could go through the wifi connection.

In fact, I'm still a pretty good Tivo n00b so, I'm not sure that the Tivo will still use the phone line if you have a wifi/network adapter plugged in or not, that would be a question someone else would have to answer.
Dmtalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 01:40 PM   #44
hurstonp

I have the D-Link DWL-122 adapter and an 802.11b network at my house but no land line. I went to a friend's house to set up my new Tivo and went through the guided setup and realized I had to get 4.0.1b software to allow my adapter to work. I filled out the form last night to request the software, but since I couldn't leave my Tivo at my friend's house, how do I know when I have been "approved" to download it. I can use the phone line at work, but I don't really want to be toting it to work every day if I can help it.

TIA
hurstonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 05:25 PM   #45
futerfas

You can set up a P2P connection between two tivos with two Wireless USB adapters. They have to be on the same channel, which you can set up. You wont be able to use it as an alternative to getting guide data over the phone line, or be able to get music and photos. More information at http://customersupport.tivo.com/tivo...ic/tv2007.htm?
Old 01-07-2004, 08:06 PM   #46
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

hurstonp, we're authorizing users to receive 4.0.1b at least twice a day currently, so if you submitted yesterday, then you'll definitely get the update on the next time you call today.

[Edit: Typo]

Last edited by TiVoOpsMgr : 01-15-2004 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:26 PM   #47
rookie

Thanks for the info futerfas.
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 10:20 AM   #48
mherdeen

I'm so confused!!

I want to setup wireless connection for TIVO to replace phone line (and eventually use HMO) Reading all the posts here have confused the hell out of me. I have an 80 hour Tivo series 2 running version 4.0.1-01-2-240. Tivo service # begins with 240.

I currently have a wireless network in place at home supporting 5 computers (2 wired 3 wireless).

Can someone please tell me exaclty what wireless adapter will work with little to no tweaking and do I need to request an upgrade to my Tivo to support this?? Any help would be most appreciated. I'm sure the answers are here in this forum somewhere but after all the reading I've done I'm just too confused to sort it all out.

THANK YOU!!

Michael
herdeen@yahoo.com
mherdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 11:05 AM   #49
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Hi Michael,

I think this article will straighten things out:
http://www.tivo.com/adapters/

A lot of people in your situation would use the Linksys WUSB12 wireless adapter; that will work with your existing network and software version right away.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Stephen

Old 01-09-2004, 11:07 AM   #50
bedelman
Call me Bob

If you look through the list of adapters at http://www.tivo.com/adapters you will note that some of them have asterisks next to their entries which indicate that an update is required.

Based on your software version, I would suggest that you get either the Microsoft MN-510 adapter or the LinkSys WUSB12 adapter which should still be available and haven't been "revised" like the others (where you have to worry about the version number). Alternatively, I did see a number of the LinkSys WUSB11 version 2.6 adapters at my local Wal-Mart the other day. You may want to check those out as well (but you need to make sure that it says "Version 2.6" on the box.

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 11:38 AM   #51
mherdeen

You guys rock!! thanks for the quick response, heading to Best Buy now to pick up an adapter.

Michael
mherdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:00 PM   #52
hurstonp

Thanks Stephen! I was able to connect at work, get the 4.0.1b update, and as soon as it restarted I was on the wireless network and it was very easy to get set up. I'm now adding season passes during my free time and it's addicting! Mark me down as a Tivo believer.

Thanks again.
hurstonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 09:01 PM   #53
SciLogix

My new HDVR2 from Hughes won't work with my Vonage service, but I did buy a Linksys WUSB11 v2.8 adapter and it's all setup to work. So, when I called DirecTV and asked them to force the software update, they said this wasn't going to work. Anyone know what gives?
SciLogix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 11:22 AM   #54
futerfas

You can't use the Wireless adapters with a directivo without doing some serious hacking to the unit. If you want, check out the underground section and they can help you wou with that
Old 01-10-2004, 12:23 PM   #55
SciLogix

I'll find an old external modem! thx
SciLogix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 11:37 AM   #56
Jim Wilke

Well, I may have been too hasty. I emailed Stephen, had him send me the updated software. I have a NetGear 614 router which is G format only so I bought a LinkSys USB adapter that works either B or G. I ran guided setup again but Tivo doesn't see my adapter, presumably since it is seeing the network in G format. At this point, I am not going to change my router just to hook up my TiVo and now I have a $79 adapter I didn't need. I intend to buy a second laptop so I guess I'll plug this adapter into the laptop for now and wait until TiVo gets their act together and supports G.
Jim Wilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 11:39 AM   #57
Jim Wilke

Quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
If you look through the list of adapters at http://www.tivo.com/adapters you will note that some of them have asterisks next to their entries which indicate that an update is required.

Based on your software version, I would suggest that you get either the Microsoft MN-510 adapter or the LinkSys WUSB12 adapter which should still be available and haven't been "revised" like the others (where you have to worry about the version number). Alternatively, I did see a number of the LinkSys WUSB11 version 2.6 adapters at my local Wal-Mart the other day. You may want to check those out as well (but you need to make sure that it says "Version 2.6" on the box.
This is the one I have but TiVo doesn't see it or at least I don't think so. In settings, it doesn't give me the option to choose to hook up via network/TCP/IP so I assume that is because it doesn't see the USB adapter and therefore figures my only option is to hook up via phone.
Jim Wilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 01:00 PM   #58
Geraint

connecting my tivo to the world

I have a pioneer dvr 810H. It is connected to a samsung directtv box. I am having problems connecting to tivo by phone or wireless network.

When I connect by phone I can do the test connection and the initial set up call - both of them short calls. However, having now signed up for tivo plus the machine needs to do a larger download. I can dial connect and start downloading but about 5 minutes into the download the call fails every time. It always says that the call was interrupted. I have tried this about 25 times now. I have call waiting disabled through the menu. I must point out that my telephone service is VOIP thru cablevision.

Anyway, instead I have bought a D-Link DWL-122 which I have connected to the tivo. I have also set the dial prefix to ",#401" . I then restarted the tivo unit. The wireless adapter shows two green lights. I know that the wireless network reaches this spot in the house because I put my powerbook with airport extreme right next to it and it worked fine. (My wireless network is driven by a d-link non-extreme wireless router with DHCP) However I get no option in the setup menus to setup a network - wireless or wired.

I'm sure that I am doing SOMETHING wrong but I am stuck at this point. Any advice?

geraint
Geraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 01:55 PM   #59
futerfas

When running guided setup, you can only use wired network adapters. Otherwise, you need to use the phone line to do guided setup.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:37 PM   #60
tpatch

Thanks for all the info in this thread. I upgraded my software and then got a Netgear MA111 wireless USB adapter. Works great.

FYI, Netgear has a rebate right now so you can get the MA111 for under $40. It's nice not having the telephone cord going across the floor.

Does a broadband connection allow Tivo to download quicker? And/or more frequently? Just curious.

Andy
tpatch is offline   Reply With Quote