TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-21-2004, 11:36 AM   #301
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Re: ma111 v2 (beware online vendors)

Quote:
Originally posted by viget
My question (I guess directed to Stephen) is will Tivo ever be compatible with v2? Or should I just go cut my losses and buy the linksys one?
My recommdation would be to purchase an adapter that's on the current compatible list (http://www.tivo.com/adapters/) because we have not announced any plans to support v2 of the MA111. Sorry for the inconvenience.

It seems the D-Link DWL-122 is probably the easiest adapter to find in the stores (and is also available from tivo.com).

Best regards,
Stephen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 11:52 AM   #302
ashu
User title defunct

Often the DWL-122 is available for as little as 9.99 after rebates. I bought one at that sweet deal, but another at the regular 29.99 price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:10 PM   #303
designwebs

I guess I could ping

I guess I could ping the static IP I gave the Tivo to keep it up?
designwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:51 PM   #304
ashu
User title defunct

I don't know if it will 'keep it up' (you may want to try a certain Pfizer product for that ), but it sure will show whether it IS, indeed, a regular occurrence, or whether its sporadic and based on other interference/activity!

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 12-23-2004, 07:25 PM   #305
networkprbs

Angry wireless network adapter problems

I just bought my TiVo and did the Guided Setup. I then proceeded to plug in my wireless network adapter just as the book told me to. The adapter I am attempting to use is the Linksys WUSB54G ver 4. I know that this adapter is not on the list of supported adapters on the TiVo website, but I also know that this adapter is B compatable. If anyone knows why this adapter does not work, how to make it work correctly, or if it won't work what to buy, let me know. Also, does anyone know when TiVo is planning on supporting Wireless G? They really need to.
networkprbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 09:03 PM   #306
bedelman
Call me Bob

Re: wireless network adapter problems

Quote:
Originally posted by networkprbs
I just bought my TiVo and did the Guided Setup. I then proceeded to plug in my wireless network adapter just as the book told me to. The adapter I am attempting to use is the Linksys WUSB54G ver 4. I know that this adapter is not on the list of supported adapters on the TiVo website, but I also know that this adapter is B compatable. If anyone knows why this adapter does not work, how to make it work correctly, or if it won't work what to buy, let me know. Also, does anyone know when TiVo is planning on supporting Wireless G? They really need to.
If it's not on the list (which is also in the documentation), don't count on the adapter working. When support is added for new adapters, those new adapters are added to the web page at http://www.tivo.com/adapters -- just as was recently done with the D-link DWL 120 ver. F

The electronics inside the WUSB54G adapter are different which is why it doesn't work since it requires a different driver than the others.

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 01:43 PM   #307
designwebs

I did that.

I first went to the tivo web site and locked at the approved usb adapters. I got the linksys one. I hooked it up and the tivo box did not even see it. I did a couple checks with my tivo box for updates and nothing. I plugged the netgear in and it took right off.

I have it set to a static IP. I think I will download a ping utility and have it ping the IP I gave the tivo box ever so often and see if that works.

Once I get tired of fooling around with it, I will hard wire it in and forget about it.
designwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 10:29 PM   #308
jreedar

Initial Setup???

I just got a new TIVO 40 hour recorder(model number: TCD540040), after reading most of this thread I see where my wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) is compatible if b/g is enabled and I'm planning on getting the Linksys WUSB12 adapter since it's on the approved list from TIVO's web site. However my main question is since I don't have a telephone line I only use my cell phone, but do have a broadband internet connection will I be able to get by the 'guided setup' using the WUSB12 adapter? I would like to not have to use the 'go to a friend with a telephone line' approach to get by the initial setup???

Thanks in advance for any help, also sorry if this has already been answered in another thread, please direct me there if it has.
jreedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 10:42 PM   #309
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: Initial Setup???

Quote:
Originally posted by jreedar
will I be able to get by the 'guided setup' using the WUSB12 adapter?
Unfortunately, it is not possible to perform initial guided setup with a wireless adapter. The only officially supported method for performing initial guided setup at this time is using a phone line, although wired Ethernet adapters also work for many people.

TiVo

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 09:06 AM   #310
jreedar

Re: Initial Setup???

Thanks ccwf, I just wanted to verify that first.

I don't plan on signing up and getting the TIVO service, I'm just going to use it as a VCR replacement. Would there be any benefit to getting the wireless adapter then and hooking the TIVO up to my home wireless network if I don't get the TIVO monthly service plan? I couldn't do remote scheduling since I wouldn't have the service and be buying the HMO, right? Is this a correct assumption or is there any benefit to having my TIVO connected to the internet with no service plan.

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-27-2004, 03:20 PM   #311
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: Re: Initial Setup???

Quote:
Thanks ccwf, I just wanted to verify that first.

I don't plan on signing up and getting the TIVO service, I'm just going to use it as a VCR replacement.
That particular model does not allow recording without a subscription. If that is your intention, you should return it and get one of the models that includes TiVo Basic (VCR-like functionality without a subscription) or one of the old Series1 boxes that has similar unsubscribed functionality. For the latter, see http://www.servicedvr.com/ or eBay and such.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 12-27-2004, 03:27 PM   #312
BrettStah

Apologies in advance if this has been asked/answered before...

Are there any wireless adapters that are supported that operate at "B" and "G" speeds? In other words, while I realize that Series2 Tivos currently only support "B" wireless network speeds, it would seem logical to buy an adapter that can operate at "G" speeds, so that when (I'm optimistic!) Tivo adds support for "G" speeds, no new adapters would need to be purchased.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 04:10 PM   #313
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
Apologies in advance if this has been asked/answered before...

Are there any wireless adapters that are supported that operate at "B" and "G" speeds? In other words, while I realize that Series2 Tivos currently only support "B" wireless network speeds, it would seem logical to buy an adapter that can operate at "G" speeds, so that when (I'm optimistic!) Tivo adds support for "G" speeds, no new adapters would need to be purchased.
The problem isn't the speed but the electronics within the adapter itself. The drivers within the TiVo only support certain chipsets. If you want to use a 802.11g connection today and in the future the only way to do so is to team up an 802.11g bridge device with a supported USB ethernet adapter. The TiVo will only know about the ethernet adapter connected to it -- the bridge will convert the wired ethernet connection over to a wireless one.

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 06:04 PM   #314
jreedar

Re: Re: Re: Initial Setup???

Quote:
Originally posted by ccwf
That particular model does not allow recording without a subscription.
Thanks ccwf, I just got this from my girlfriend as a gift and didn't know much about it, she not going to be happy that I'm returning it but that's how it goes. Do you know what the name of the TIVO model is that will allow recording without a subscription?

Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:54 PM   #315
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Initial Setup???

Quote:
Do you know what the name of the TIVO model is that will allow recording without a subscription?
  • Any of the TiVo models that advertise TiVo Basic, which includes most but not all of the TiVo/DVD combo models.
  • All old Philips Series1 standalone units (servicedvr.com is a Philips service center) plus most standalone Sony units
(standalone means not an integrated DirecTV-only model.)

TiVo

中日韓
Old 12-28-2004, 12:04 PM   #316
ashu
User title defunct

FYI, for others who noticed the recent posts - I'm trying what bob suggested above - all my TiVos have Linksys USB 200M ethernet adapters, and are hooked to (various) Belkin 7230-4 802.11G routers functioning in Bridged Access Point mode. G speeds throughout ... its good

The Belkin adapter is available for $10 after rebate/s at CompUSA this week, was 20 at Circuit City last week. Seems like a clearance before a new model makes its way to the shelves. Its FAST, and a great cheap upgrade to an existing B network! Also note that there are two variants of the 7230 - the one in the red box has 2003 hardware and firmware, the white box-ed 7230-4 have 2004 hardware and slightly newer firmware. CC only has red (old), CompUSA has both. Choose wisely They DO co-exist happily as bridged APs, since I'm running 2 whites and one red NOW.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 12-29-2004, 03:25 PM   #317
riz1

Linksys WUSB11_V4 Tivo Driver

Hello,

Will there be support for Linksys WUSB11_V4 Tivo Driver for the Humax DRT800.
Willing to take a beta driver if available,
riz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:06 AM   #318
Casper42

Angry

HELP!
I have a new TCD5400 Series 2 and I did all the initial setup via phone and the unit is working fine.

I plugged the 122 into it and it said it needed to flash it, so I said go for it.

I then went through the wireless setup wizard and it wouldnt connect. I finally realized I didnt add the MAC to my Allowed MAC list on my WAP, so I added that and did it again and it says connected and hovers around 75-80% signal.

Then I went through the IP Config and told it to use DHCP, no response (Running a MS DHCP Server on Win2000 for the whole house, I'm a SysAdmin by trade). I know its working, as 5 other computers in the house use it, and my TiVo S1 with TurboNet uses DHCP via the same DHCP Server (But its hard wired).

So I hard coded an IP into the S2, and then Bounced it and yet still cannot ping it, and when I test net connection it says it cant find my gateway.

Any Ideas what I'm missing?

PS: WAP is a DLink 2000AP and Router is a DLink 804HV. WAP has 11g only OFF, and I tried changing the TX Rate from AUTP to 11 hard.
PPS: I am using 128bit WEP with an ASCII key and it IS 13 charachters
Casper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:50 AM   #319
Casper42

Quick update, Turning off WEP completely solved this problem, so its some weird WEP thing. As reccomended in another thread, I will try a hex Wep key and see if the TiVo likes it.
Casper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 08:47 AM   #320
mstenzel

netgear ma111na

Quote:
Originally posted by marcoval
Will the Netgear MA111NA work ? I notice the TiVO site says the MA111 works for a USB adaptor, but not "V2" I'm curious if the NA tagged on the end means its a "V2".
marcoval,

I went to my local CompUSA and looked at the MA111NA adapters. On the back of the box it says "V.2" so they will NOT work.

However, as I looked at all of the boxes, there were a few that did not say ...NA on the end of the part name on the box (though they did say ...NA on the name on the UPC sticker). The back did not say "V.2" and, get this, on the front of the box there is a "TiVo Compatible" sticker with the TiVo logo. Out of a dozen or so boxes, only 2 were the older V.1 models. They must be clearing them out and replacing them with the V.2/NA models. So if you have a CompUSA near you, I'd head down and have a look.

Good luck.

mstenzel

BTW, the UPCs are identical, so the V.1s will work with the rebate, making the final cost $9.99.
mstenzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:52 AM   #321
rbranton

Help with networking via D-link DI-624 & DWL-122

Forgive me if I have accidentlally placed this in two threads. I am still learning.

Please help.

I bought three series II TIVOs (2-40s, 1-140); a D-Link DI-624 g/b Router version c with firmware 2.4.2 and 3 D-Link DWL-122 USB Wireless adapters with firmware updated in response to TIVO screen. I am having trouble getting my first machine up on the network. I followed ideas in post from tvaddict and idiot-box-junkie in this forum to no avail.

The Tivo recognizes the network ssid automatically. I tried no security, alpha security, and hex security; 64 and 128 bit. Each time I tested with my laptop to ensure I had it right. The Tivo is located 20 feet from the router and my wifi-sniffer shows a very strong signal. Each time when it tries to confirm it provides the message:
"Warning: this network could not be located". A MAC address showes up, but nothing else. I have tried rebooting the router; as well as powering it off and back on. I have not tried powering the Tivo on and off; or otherwise resetting it.
I would greatly appreciate any help. Thx. in advance. Rhb
Old 01-06-2005, 05:39 PM   #322
Palmdale-CA

rbranton:
I too have the DI-624 and the DWL-122. It took me several hours of trial and error (mostly error) including trying the DMZ before I finally choose the "shared key" setting on the router and it connected. I tried several more iterations and the only thing that got my Tivo to work was the shared key setting. I reset my laptop to match and everything is well. I am using 64 bit Alpha and have had no problems since setting it up.
I am going through an entertainment center and ceiling and its about 30 ft away and still getting 68-75% excellent signal.
Palmdale-CA
Palmdale-CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:31 PM   #323
rbranton

Thanks for the tip. I tried it and briefly had an IP address. However, the connection failed with a new message: "No DHCP Server". I re-entered the network access using "closed connection" instead of selecting the automatic name (which I am still not sure why it was visible given I had switched to a shared mode) and was back to ground zero with no network found. I have tried to get back to at least having an IP address with no success (including unplugging and rebooting TIVO and everything). This is really frustrating and time consuming. Thanks again for your assistance.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:00 PM   #324
rbranton

Thanks for the tips. Here is my status on the DLink DI-624 and the DWL-122 TIVO connection. I have given up. My son, who is significantly more technical than me was also unable to get them to work. Therefore, I resurrected my retired DLink 11b DI-713P Router with the DW-122 adaptors on the TIVOs and had two TIVOs online and communicating with each other within 30 minutes; and will have a third one online tonight.

A final note. My idea was to have one 140 hour TIVO that would be used to record most programs; and two satelite 40 hours TIVOs mostly to watch in different rooms. A great idea, but utterly impractical with a wireless 11b network speeds. This speed is not viewing speed and it took over 45 minutes to transfer one 30 min program. Further, it locked down the network for other traffic. If you are planning something similar, I would advise you to either use a hardwired ethernet network or wait until TIVO supports the "g" adaptors or better yet the turbo g adaptors that run at 104 mps. If on the otherhand all you want to be able to do is remote scheduling and internet program update, the 11b is fine.

Thanks again for the advice. If anyone else has any ideas, one day I will want to restore my highspeed wireless network; but I don't have anymore time to invest in it now, so I will live with a slower network speed to gain the online program updates and remote scheduling.

Rhb
Old 01-13-2005, 08:38 AM   #325
larrywade

Wireless Adapter Linksys USB54G

Hi,

I recently purchased a Tivo DVR (Humax), software v5.4xxx. I tried to add a wireless Adapter (Linksys USB54G) without first checking whether it was on the compatible list. It isn't being detected despite re-connecting a couple of times through dial-up. It doesn't appear on either compatible or the complete list. Is there a reason for this? Should I expect that it will be supported in the future? Should I go and purchase a compatible wireless adapter?

Thanks,

L.
larrywade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:29 AM   #326
ashu
User title defunct

Wireless G adapters are not yet supported, supposedly. Although the expectation and the rumours (including supposedly informed sources) imply its only a matter of (hopefully little) time.

G Speeds ARE achievable now via some trickery - see the Ultimate Wireless Network thread

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 01-14-2005, 03:56 PM   #327
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally posted by rbranton
Thanks for the tips. Here is my status on the DLink DI-624 and the DWL-122 TIVO connection. I have given up. My son, who is significantly more technical than me was also unable to get them to work. Therefore, I resurrected my retired DLink 11b DI-713P Router with the DW-122 adaptors on the TIVOs and had two TIVOs online and communicating with each other within 30 minutes; and will have a third one online tonight.

A final note. My idea was to have one 140 hour TIVO that would be used to record most programs; and two satelite 40 hours TIVOs mostly to watch in different rooms. A great idea, but utterly impractical with a wireless 11b network speeds. This speed is not viewing speed and it took over 45 minutes to transfer one 30 min program. Further, it locked down the network for other traffic. If you are planning something similar, I would advise you to either use a hardwired ethernet network or wait until TIVO supports the "g" adaptors or better yet the turbo g adaptors that run at 104 mps. If on the otherhand all you want to be able to do is remote scheduling and internet program update, the 11b is fine.

Thanks again for the advice. If anyone else has any ideas, one day I will want to restore my highspeed wireless network; but I don't have anymore time to invest in it now, so I will live with a slower network speed to gain the online program updates and remote scheduling.

Rhb
Basic quality recordings transfer in real time over 802.11b connections. Also if you give it a 5-10 minute head start you can transfer two shows between TiVo's. For some reason however the first show transferring gets precendence between the two. So one TiVo displays in real time, and the other needs a few minute pad built in.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:15 PM   #328
BrettStah

My sister's wireless network can send a 30 minute recording from one Tivo to the other in 20 minutes. (Basic quality recordings - she rarely uses any other quality, so I wasn't able to test any other quality level when I set up the network for her).

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:18 PM   #329
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
My sister's wireless network can send a 30 minute recording from one Tivo to the other in 20 minutes. (Basic quality recordings - she rarely uses any other quality, so I wasn't able to test any other quality level when I set up the network for her).
That is my experience as well. For most shows basic quality is good enough. Shows like Tomb Raider however definately don't do well at basic.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:54 PM   #330
rasguy

Using a MICROSOFT MN-510

Ok - I have a few of these USB wireless adapters lying around unused so I figured what the heck I'd try it. After about an hour of futzing around (yes futzing is a technical term) I was able to get it to work.

1) I have a d-LINK DI-624 802.11g WAP in the basement running DHCP
2) I had to turn OFF the WEP encryption - no matter what I did the WEP keys entered (tried HEX and ASCII) would not work
3) DHCP Enabled - no good, Static IP enabled - no good, back to DHCP just for grins - it connected....go figure
4) Signal stregth = 32% marginal but the base sation is buried in the basement - TiVo unit does not complain - reoriented the antennas as best I could
5) I DID let TiVo flash the firmware for the MN-510 as I doubt that I am going to use it on a PC ever again.....MSFT specifically has a KB article stating that if you flash the ROM you do so at your own risk, lots of reports of broken MN-510's after the TiVo ROM flash when people try to use it on a PC again
6) 1st 3 digits of my TiVo 5400 are 540 and S/W version is 5.3.01-2-540

Just a quick post from a newbie with a closetful of old gear.

Looking forward to eliminating the phone cord on my living room floor tonight.
rasguy is offline   Reply With Quote