TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
LYKUNO

Signal Strength Test won't display ...

I have a Premiere (2 tuner) and a (new) Roamio (4 tuner) that are both connected to Time Warner Cable via Cisco Tuning Adaptors. Both are working, displaying all the digital HD content and Premium content (Showtime) that I subscribe to from TWC. However, when I attempt to use the signal strength meter option on either the Premiere or the Roamio, I get a message saying there are no digital channels.

Specifically, I go to the Tivo Channels Settings menu, and select "Signal Strength - Cable". I am presented with a message stating: " Signal Strength is unavailable because your cable channel lineup has no digital channels." That's odd since the digital channels are all viewable?

Next, I navigated to the Tivo "Remote, CableCard, & Devices" menu option and selected "Cable Card Decoder". It shows "M Card Inserted" and then if I select "Test Channels", I am presented with a reply stating "No Channels Available."

I know for a fact that in the past, my Premier unit would display the signal strength for all my channels correctly. I haven't used that test feature recently, so not sure when it may have stopped working. When I got my new Roamio last month, and attempted to test signal strength on it, and failed as described above, I looked at the Premier and saw the same results (i.e., no digital channels and no channels available).

Since I can indeed see all my digital channels on both the Premier and the Roamio, why am I getting the erroneous messages on the "Test Channels" and "Signal Strength" tests? I'm perplexed! Thanks in advance!
LYKUNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

Do you have a tuning adapter attached? If so, you need to go under Settings > Remove, CableCARD, & Devices > Tuning Adapter > Test Channels using M-Card.

I know this is confusing, and wish TiVo would change it so that ALL of the different "test channel" menu items work the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
LYKUNO

Thanks Windracer - I do have TWC Cisco TAs, and will try your suggestion!

Moments later! Okay, I can use that option to "Test Channels Using M-Card" to verify that all of my digital channels are working (they are). However, there is apparently no way to measure signal strength under the Tuning Adapter's menu. If I want to measure signal strength then, perhaps I would need to temporarily disconnect or bypass the tuning adapter, long enough to make the measurements, and then reconnect the TA to allow me to tune in the SDV channels?

Last edited by LYKUNO : 02-01-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
LYKUNO

Groundhog Day Follow-up ...

I have only been able to get the Signal Strength Test to work if I power down the TWC Tuning Adapter. During the TA's boot up (during the period of time where the LED on front of the TA is flashing), I can navigate to the TiVo's Signal Strength Test and see the signal strength for each of my digital channels. All of the readings are up in the low to mid 90's.

However, once the TA is fully booted, I cannot get the Signal Strength Test to select my active channels. It only shows odd channels that I do not have enabled, and none of them show a digital signal strength value that is high enough to display on the scale. When I exit the testing, all of my selected channels display properly, which is what really matters to me.

I attribute the issues I have with the Signal Strength Test lack of functionality to the TWC Tuning Adaptors - it's unfortunate that they are required to provide Switched Digital Channels, as they seem to introduce an inordinate number of problems to the digital cable TV-watching experience. I'd still rather have to deal with the inconsistent behavior of the TWC Tuning Adapters than give up my TiVos for TWC-provided DVRs.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

On the premiere (I don't know about the roamio) you can also check the signal strength of the currently tuned channels with 'dvr diagnostics' under 'account and system information'
Maybe that will work with the tuning adapter. It's a pain to use, but it's an option.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
LYKUNO

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
On the premiere (I don't know about the roamio) you can also check the signal strength of the currently tuned channels with 'dvr diagnostics' under 'account and system information'
Maybe that will work with the tuning adapter. It's a pain to use, but it's an option.
Woohoo! Thanks Scandia101! That procedure works perfectly for me on my Roamio. I went to the DVR Diagnostics option under the Account and System Information menu, and the page displayed shows the signal strength for the channel I had been viewing (got a value of 92).

Checking other channels' signal strength would require exiting the DVR Diagnostics menu (by going to "Live TV"), then selecting another channel, going back into DVR Diagnostics and looking at the new channel's signal strength. Not as easy as going from channel to channel in the Channel Setting's menu, but good enough to accomplish my goal of looking at an individual channel's signal strength.

Thanks for the suggestion - it solved my issue satisfactorily!