TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
magnetter30

Record one channel while watching another

Hi all,
I have already looked all over the internet and asked tivo about this. I have the Tivo Series 2 which I believe is a single tuner. I know that it is impossible to record one show while watching another. I have satellite tv - Dish network. The receiver I have for this is DISH ViP 222 Duo HD Receiver. I was wondering if there is a way to hook the tivo up to the 2nd tuner? I don't know much about the setup of the satellite. If this is possible could you please let me know how I can set it up. Thank you in advance.
magnetter30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
You can record a show while watching another that was previously recorded. You can't record a show from the DISH box while watching another show live from the DISH box through the TiVo.

There exists a "Dual Tuner" Series 2 model, but this one won't accept two external sources.

What you could do is take the second output from the DISH box and run it directly to your TV, then tell the TV to select that input when you want to watch live while recording.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
magnetter30

Thank you Steve.
magnetter30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:06 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetter30 View Post
Hi all,
I have already looked all over the internet and asked tivo about this. I have the Tivo Series 2 which I believe is a single tuner. I know that it is impossible to record one show while watching another. I have satellite tv - Dish network. The receiver I have for this is DISH ViP 222 Duo HD Receiver. I was wondering if there is a way to hook the tivo up to the 2nd tuner? I don't know much about the setup of the satellite. If this is possible could you please let me know how I can set it up. Thank you in advance.
Assuming that your television set or other video display has the capability to accept and choose between more than one input, that the Dish receiver is your only source of channels, and going by the information about that receiver from here:

http://www.satellitesolutions.com/di...vip-222-hd.asp

and assuming that the TiVo can figure out which of the two Dish remotes to emulate, I'd hook the Dish receiver's TV2 yellow, white, and red output jacks to the TiVo's corresponding input jacks (sometimes known as line, or line-level, inputs), bearing in mind that you will need an active video signal on the line feeding the yellow input jack on the TiVo when you set it up to work with the Dish receiver.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote