TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #1
kp100

Humax hard drive swap

I have a Series 2 Humax with Lifetime with a hard drive that's just died. I also have a Humax with monthly service. (I know - it sounds like a museum.) Is there an easy way to put the working hard drive into the lifetime box?

kp100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:39 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp100 View Post
I have a Series 2 Humax with Lifetime with a hard drive that's just died. I also have a Humax with monthly service. (I know - it sounds like a museum.) Is there an easy way to put the working hard drive into the lifetime box?
Moving the hard drive from one TiVo to another of the same model will work, but because the recordings are tied to the unique TiVo Service Number of the unit from which the hard drive is taken, it won't let you watch them on the TiVo into which you transfer the hard drive, and as part of the process of "marrying" the hard drive to the new (to it) motherboard and its TSN, it will erase all of the recordings, along with all other settings, dumping you back to the beginning of Guided Setup.

Are both of those Humax units the non-DVD version, or are both the DVD version?

I'm not sure if you can swap drives without problems between the two different types, but if the only difference is hard drive size, like the DVD version comes with either a 400 or an 800 in the model name which means either a 40GB or an 80GB drive, then you can do the swap.

If you happen to have any spare SATA drives of up to 1TB, you can get a JMicron or Marvell chipset based adapter that'll let you use that drive instead and keep both working.

You'll need to read the adapter thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=416883

to the end to make sure you get the right thing and that the SATA drive is compatible.

If the dead drive is from a DVD unit and the other is a non-DVD unit, I can give you an image of the software for the DVD Humax to write to a drive with a PC and the right software designed to do that with TiVo drives, which PCs otherwise don't understand.

Or if both your units are non-DVD, you can use that software to copy the image from the working one to a new drive so that you don't loose the recordings on it and can keep both units going.

Post your model numbers.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 09-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
kp100

Thumbs up

They're both Humax Series 2 DVD units, one 400 and one 800.
Thanks for the response and clear explanation.

kp100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:12 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp100 View Post
They're both Humax Series 2 DVD units, one 400 and one 800.
Thanks for the response and clear explanation.
Once you unsubscribe the monthly one no one will ever be able to get TiVo Service on it again, so be sure you want to turn it into a parts machine before you pull the drive.

Of course the drive in it is pretty much just as old and near failure as the other one, so better to get another drive and copy the working one to it, and put the copy in the lifetimed unit to make sure that the lifetimed unit's hard drive is its only problem.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote