TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2009, 07:33 PM   #151
anotherme

Using this technique to use a series 2 tivo w/ a HD tv

Can I use a technique essentially like this to use my series 2 tivo to record programs on the non-hd channels when I am not home and to watch HDTV live on my new HDTV? I am assuming that the tivo could be recording on the non-hd channel while I watch HDTV as well?

I am not any kind of rocket surgeon, but I am hoping this is the kind of thing I need to do. Any advice or changes that I would need to make to the original post description to make this work in my case??

Thanks all,
anotherme
anotherme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #152
classicsat
Astute User

Like what? If you want to record SD and watch HD separately, you need two boxes from your provider, an SD box for the TiVo to record, and an HD box to watch direct. I do that an it works fine.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #153
anotherme

Can you describe the set up for me. I am not seeing it. I do understand that the other box would be good to get the premium channels both for sd and hd. -- I was figuring on using only one box, but OK.

Does the HD tv have two places to input the cables? What if I change the channel? Isn't that going to mess up the box or the tivo or something? Or do I use the input button - input 1, input 2, etc??

Sorry I am slow.

anotherme
anotherme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #154
LaChan

Sorry if this is a repeat question....

So, I've seen this addressed a little on earlier posts, but am still a little confused. I have a S2 Tivo with the cable split from the wall (one to the Comcast cablebox and from there to the TV, the second to the TiVo). I used to have the same setup before digital cable/having a cablebox (split to TiVo and TV) and could watch live TV while the TiVo recorded a show. Now when I try to do the same thing (or watch on demand) my TiVo ends up recording whatever channel I am watching instead of the channel it is set to record.

Is there a work around for this? Or do I have to give up watching live TV while the TiVo is recording? I tried using standby, but the channel switching issue still occurred. Thanks!
LaChan is offline   Reply With Quote