TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-20-2007, 10:32 PM   #121
Lukej

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZikZak
This thread is mostly applicable to the standalone models. The dual tuner DirecTivos are superior for watching live while recording, because they have two tuners. Especially given that satellite cables are much more difficult to split, you probably want to go with the DirecTivo. Some features of the standalone will not be available, however, such as program folders and Home Media, but you already have the standalone for that.
You currently CANNOT put a dual-tuner series 2 in standby mode and watch anything. All you will see is snow. Courtesy of Tivo's latest software "upgrade."
Lukej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:25 PM   #122
mkbomb

Question Have Cable Modem & Digital Cable Box. Watch One & Rec Another Setup?

Howdy!
Coax from outside goes to a 2 way splitter. One Line to Cable Modem, the other to Digital Cable Box. Then, Dig Cable Box Coax goes out to Tivo S2 DT. Finally, S2 DT goes out via S-Video and White & Red RF to TV.
How can I accomplish being able to watch Live TV while recording w/ the S2 DT?
Also, will I need to use the Cable Box remote to surf live TV while recording w/ the S2?

I did attempt a search for a strictly Cable Modem/Digital cable setup with no luck
Thanks very much in advance! -Mike
mkbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #123
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Well, the entire point of the DT is to be able to record two-at-once, or equivalently to watch-live-while-recording.

Split the cable again, and send the analog line to the DT. The cabling from the cable box to the DT should be RCA or Svideo for better video quality.

Never use the cable remote for anything other than ordering PPV.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:15 PM   #124
mkbomb

Quote:
Well, the entire point of the DT is to be able to record two-at-once, or equivalently to watch-live-while-recording.

Split the cable again, and send the analog line to the DT. The cabling from the cable box to the DT should be RCA or Svideo for better video quality.

Thanks! Is a Target-bought splitter good enough? I believe its G.E. Brand.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #125
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbomb
Thanks! Is a Target-bought splitter good enough? I believe its G.E. Brand.
Probably. If the picture appears pixellated, you may have too many splits--- get a cable amplier from Radio Shack.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:16 AM   #126
mkbomb

Quote:

OK, here's what I've hooked up this morning:

Coax from street to a 2-way splitter(G.E. 5-900mhz).
From splitter: one coax to digital cable box(Sci Atlanta Explorer 2000), the other coax to S2 DT.
S-Video and RCA from cable box to S2 DT.
S-Video and RCA from S2 DT to TV.

Last night, gastrof was kind enough to saty online with me and said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof
To be honest, I'd have split the cable three ways and done a double run to the TV, especially with a DT TiVo.

What you're doing now is splitting the signal strength in half, and then at the TV splitting one half into two quarters.

Not good, especially with digital.

It'd be better if "everyone" got an equal one third. (By the way...an amplifying splitter is the better choice in what you're doing, not a regular splitter.)

Anyway, since at this moment you only have one cable line coming to the TV, try this-

DO split the cable again at the TV, and run one to the TiVo directly, the other to the cable box. (Makes no difference which goes to which. They're equal.)

Then have the cable box feed the cable box inputs on the Dual Tuner TiVo.

I'm sure you can do the math from that point on...

If you need more help, let me know, but I may not be on much longer.

(Also, I'd still advise re-doing things later with a three way split, and an amp/splitter.)
I'm confused! In my current setup, what needs to be changed according to gastrof's suggestion? Man, I feel like I'm almost there, this is exciting! Thanks in advance, guys and gals. -Mike

Old 01-22-2007, 09:38 AM   #127
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

You should be fine the way you have it. If you wanted to record TWO programs and watch another live, you could replace the 2-way splitter with a 3-way splitter and send another coax to the TV. I think that's what gastrof was probably getting at, but if you need to do that, you're watching too much TV.

But your setup should work fine right now (you can add the third line later ifever and whenever you want). Run Guided Setup and have fun!
Old 01-22-2007, 09:48 AM   #128
mkbomb

Quote:
You should be fine the way you have it. If you wanted to record TWO programs and watch another live, you could replace the 2-way splitter with a 3-way splitter and send another coax to the TV. I think that's what gastrof was probably getting at, but if you need to do that, you're watching too much TV.

But your setup should work fine right now (you can add the third line later ifever and whenever you want). Run Guided Setup and have fun!
I just tried to change the channel with the s2 remote while recording a show, and a msg came up asking me if I "want to change the channel and stop recording, or just continue recording?". Is this possibly because, like I read and was told, Time Warner is disontinuing analog in my area(nyc)? Or do I need to run guided setup like you said to teach the s2 about my new split input? I did already familiarize the s2 with the new s-vid input via the cable box. Thanks as always
Old 01-22-2007, 10:22 AM   #129
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

You need to rerun guided setup to tell the tivo about the analog input. You'll still get that message when recording something off of the cable box, since you only have one of those.

Keep in mind that the more you watch tivo, the less you'll want to watch live TV. Set SPs for everything you watch, and two weeks from now you'll forget what Live TV is.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:00 AM   #130
mkbomb

Quote:
You'll still get that message when recording something off of the cable box, since you only have one of those.
I'll still get that message, meaning I WON'T be able to switch the channel and watch Live TV w/o cancelling the recording?

I realize that TiVo will change my habits completely-it's the Wife that really would like the option to simultaneously record and watch Live TV.

Last edited by mkbomb : 01-22-2007 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #131
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Quote:
I'll still get that message, meaning I WON'T be able to switch the channel and watch Live TV w/o cancelling the recording?
Not if it requires changing the channel on the cable box. You've only got one of those, so you can only have one feed from the cable box at a time, whether it's recording or you're watching it live.

Quote:
I realize that TiVo will change my habits completely-it's the Wife that really would like the option to simultaneously record and watch Live TV.
Record her programs too.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #132
mkbomb

Quote:
Not if it requires changing the channel on the cable box. You've only got one of those, so you can only have one feed from the cable box at a time, whether it's recording or you're watching it live.

Record her programs too.
How come I was able to record shows on the s2 dt BEFORE I split the cable last night? What purpose did splitting the cable serve, then? I appreciate your time, Zak.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:43 PM   #133
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Now the S2 can record off of BOTH the cable box and the analog cable simultaneously, or you can watch analog live while recording.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:32 PM   #134
mkbomb

Smile

Quote:
Now the S2 can record off of BOTH the cable box and the analog cable simultaneously, or you can watch analog live while recording.
Ok, here's the dumb question-How do I go about watching the analog channels? with which remote, or setting? as I mentioned before-I was unable to switch channels with the tivo remote while recording. Is there something crucial here that I'm missing? Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:22 PM   #135
mkbomb

Quote:
Ok, here's the dumb question-How do I go about watching the analog channels? with which remote, or setting? as I mentioned before-I was unable to switch channels with the tivo remote while recording. Is there something crucial here that I'm missing? Thanks again.
Hahaha,
Wow. Just sitting here, drinking some beers, and browsing the TiVo site's specials. It just dawned on me. The reason I got my factory renewed 80hr box FREE with 12.99 per mo. service is because it's the Single Tuner version!!! I am an idiot. I apologize for annoying you while unknowingly having signed up for the sngle tuner box.
-Mike
Old 01-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #136
Olvera67

Recording Question

I didn't see it, so I will apologize if I missed it, my question is in regard to watching a program that I set to record. Will the Tivo continue to record, like let's say a movie or sporting event, if I come in an hour into the recording and jump back to the start to watch it from the beginning? Can I do that or do I have to wait for the recording to complete before I watch?
Olvera67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:23 PM   #137
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

It will continue recording.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #138
littlejoel

Watching a program and recording another

OK, so I think I've got this, but not quite sure. If someone can double check this for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a digital cable box (no DVR capability) and a S2 single tuner tivo. I want to be able to record a program with Tivo (say network TV), while at the same time be able to watch an HBO movie (channel 500s) or an HD channel (700s). I also want to be able to record the HBO movies on Tivo while watching another program. I also have a cable modem and a A/V receiver, and I have a HDTV.

So, from the wall I need a 3-way splitter (#1 to the Cable modem, #2 to the cable box, #3 to the tivo). Then, from #2 I need A/V cables to the receiver (which then runs to the TV via S-video cable). From #3 I also need A/V cables to the receiver.

The problem is, I don't see how the tivo will be able to record HBO movies, as there is no decoding of the cable to the tivo.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by littlejoel : 02-20-2007 at 09:20 PM.
littlejoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:02 PM   #139
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

You won't be able to watch HBO on tivo if you set it up that way... for the reasons you point out.

What you probably want to do is split the cable three ways: one to the modem, one to the cable box, and one to the TV. Wire S-video and audio from the cable box to the tivo, and HD cables from the cable box to the TV.

Record all the SD television you want to watch on the tivo, and watch the recordings at any time. In the case of an unresolvable conflict, you can watch network TV through the TV tuner as the TiVo records the second program. To watch HD programming, you will have to do so when the tivo is not recording other things; there's really no way around that unless you're willing not to ever tivo any digital/scrambled channels or you're willing to get another cable box.

I think that what you probably really want is an S3 tivo.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:13 PM   #140
littlejoel

Thanks for that. I figured I was pretty much screwed, but just wanted to see if someones figured this out. I'd go with the S3, but it's too expensive right now. Would another possibility be to get a dual tuner from the cable company, and just use the tivo to record SD tv?
Old 02-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #141
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Generally, hooking up a tivo to a DVR is a bad idea; you'll keep confusing each other.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:03 PM   #142
littlejoel

So, then, back to your recommended setup. Can I record channels such as HBO, etc with this configuration, then? Oh, and would I also have to change the way Tivo controls the cable box, or is my current setup (Tivo uses the IR emitters to change channels) still going to work?

I just read my tv manual, and I can put a cable card into the back of the tv. Does that solve my problems of not being able to record while watching HD?

Last edited by littlejoel : 02-20-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:25 PM   #143
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejoel
So, then, back to your recommended setup. Can I record channels such as HBO, etc with this configuration, then? Oh, and would I also have to change the way Tivo controls the cable box, or is my current setup (Tivo uses the IR emitters to change channels) still going to work?
Yes, use the IR blasters to control the cable box, and the tivo can record anything the cable box puts out (as long as it's SD)

Quote:
I just read my tv manual, and I can put a cable card into the back of the tv. Does that solve my problems of not being able to record while watching HD?
Yes, this will allow the TV to be its own cable decoder. You will be able to watch any cable channel on the TV while tivo records off the cable box.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:31 PM   #144
littlejoel

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully I can get a cablecard from the cable company for relatively inexpensive.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #145
freedug

So, I think I've gotten into a no win situation here.

Had a DirecTivo for years, which i loved. We recently moved into town, and now have access to a Fiber Optic network. We get internet, phone and TV thru our provider. But, since it's fiber, it's A. all digital and B. comes thru FO line rather than coax.
When we moved in we got a S2DT Tivo. I can't figure out how to trick it to get the dual tuner to work. I can't split the coax because there is none. I thought I was being smart and I got 2 cable boxes hooked up (1 for each tuner). I tried using the Coax out on my cable box (Which is an Amino - if you wanna see the box, google burlingtontelecom)When I go thru the guided setup, it gets stuck in a loop trying to get the channels set up (keeps telling me to go to the Tivo site for finding my channels). I called Tivo and they said it's because my channels are all-digital and I'm screwed.
I next tried an RF modulator and ran the composite video and audio plugs from my cable box into the RF in on the Tivo box... no good.
My next thought is to try and find a Digital to Analog converter box (the ones they're creating for the big switchover in 2009 for All Digital TV), but no one has any on sale until next year.
Any thoughts?
freedug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:20 PM   #146
JimSpence
Just hangin'

I believe the DT can only accept one plain analog cable and a cable box.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:44 PM   #147
freedug

i think it's ridiculous that we are 1.5 years away from getting rid of the analog spectrum for TV, and Tivo can't record 2 digital channels at once. I hope tivo can retrofit the S2DT box i JUST bought to accept 2 digital lines, or buyers beware, your box will be obsolete in a year and a half...
Old 07-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #148
JimSpence
Just hangin'

There is the Series 3 TiVo.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...splay.php?f=51
Old 07-11-2007, 08:46 PM   #149
freedug

um, yeah... for 500 to 800 bucks.... um, no
Old 09-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #150
jcrouch702

This isnt working for me... Ill have a season pass recorded, and someone will go to watch something...i come back later to watch my season pass, and whatever theywere watching is what recorded... i dont get it. I got TiVo because American Idol and Biggest Loser come on at the same time. I NEED to watch one and record the other, and they dont do reruns of those...especially american Idol. PLEASE HELP
jcrouch702 is offline   Reply With Quote