TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2004, 10:34 AM   #91
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

mdscott's recommendation is good; you will be able to watch & record on both the TiVo and VCR independently. Splitting the cable might result in poorer video quality, however.

If you don't need to record with the VCR very often, you could set up Wall -> TiVo -> VCR -> TV. If you're using RF cables, you will be able to play back anything you like on the VCR without affecting the TiVo. You can record on both machines, too, by putting TiVo in standby mode. In Standby, you will also be able to watch live while recording.

Note that you do *not* need a splitter to watch live and record when you use cable with no box.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:19 PM   #92
rexie

Yes, but what about HD?

Your post was very helpful and thanks for taking the time. However, my situation is that I have just purchased a tivo, have comcast digital box and an HD tv and may want to watch an HD program through the component input rather than the video input I am using for the TIVO. Can I do this? Thus far, each time I change the TV source, Tivo seems to change the recording source. Can I do what I want? If not, I think the tivo goes back to best buy and I wait for the next big thing...thanks!
rexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 11:23 AM   #93
dmlove51

The Comcast box can only output one channel at a time, so you can't watch HD on the component input on your TV, and have input 1 (TiVo) set to a different channel. However, you definitely CAN watch HD on the component input on your TV, and have the TiVo record that channel (the recording won't be in HD, but it will still be better than SD).
dmlove51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 11:27 AM   #94
dmlove51

Quote:
and yes you do have to use your old tv remote to switch inputs to watch tv...but the issue is solved...unless you dont have various inputs on your tv..most have them
Get yourself an inexpensive universal remote like the One For All 6131 (less than $20). It controls every single one of my components - TV, TiVo/DVD combo, Sony receiver, JVC VCR, Motorola cable box. And, at Jim Spence's suggestion, I've modified it to switch TV inputs with one press of a button.
dmlove51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:39 PM   #95
rexie

HD followup

Thanks very much! I'm going to do some more doodling with a splitter to see if I can get to what I am after.
rexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 10:39 PM   #96
dstrat

I like the tivo service but I have yet to find the right hook up for me to watch one channel and record anther at the same time. My wife is a horrable channel sufer, and while she surfs so does the recoded material. Lost count of the times my recorded shows are messed up with all kinds of differnt shows. So with me having a cable box, from what I have read on the posts, I cant really watch one record one can I? Unless I forgo the cable box and just get the basic cable signal? So what I am asking now is putting the tivo in stand by would still record shows? And this would free the wife to surf all she wants with out messing up the scedualed stuff? And would a a/b switch allow a two way cable box set up?
dstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:18 PM   #97
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

dstrat,

As is stated in the original post, you need to split the cable upstream of the cable box. One split goes to the cable box/tivo/tv-video-input while the other goes to the TV's RF input. Your wife can channel surf with the TV remote while TiVo records off the cable box. Take the cable box remote and hide it safely away, so that your wife cannot change the cable box channels while TiVo is recording.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:39 PM   #98
SonicJMC

I get so irritated at not having my trickplay that I just get frustrated and turn it off! I ONLY use the bypass splitter for 2 situations

1- My TV is capable of turning on at a certain time, so I use it to wake me to the news in the morning. This bypasses my home theater. (My bedroom is the same room with the entertainment system, I don't have a seperate bedroom and living room)

2 - I sometimes turn on TV just for cartoons to fall asleep to (sometihng leftover from childhood, helps me sleep when insomnia kicks in). This also bypasses the theater.

Oh, there is one other reason.
I don't want people f-ing with my DVR, so they are only given my TV remote to use. Sorry, no trickplay for my disrespectful friends friends! LOL!
What part of "Don't f*** with that!!!" Don't they understand?!
SonicJMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:36 PM   #99
ObiWanJenkins

Staten Island Cable (Time Warner). I can't run a splitter from the wall directly to the Tivo nor the TV and receive the signal. I must have a box for both analog and digital cable. Time Warner is the only company I have ever seen do this. Does this mean I MUST have two boxes to watch one channel and record another?
ObiWanJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:42 PM   #100
SonicJMC

Angry Sorry to bring you bad news

Yes, that is exactly what it means. Enjoy the double box rental fees!
SonicJMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:47 PM   #101
ObiWanJenkins

Forget that! At $10/month, I'll just live without the feature!
ObiWanJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:41 PM   #102
cpsilo1

Quote:
Originally posted by ZikZak
mdscott's recommendation is good; you will be able to watch & record on both the TiVo and VCR independently. Splitting the cable might result in poorer video quality, however.

If you don't need to record with the VCR very often, you could set up Wall -> TiVo -> VCR -> TV. If you're using RF cables, you will be able to play back anything you like on the VCR without affecting the TiVo. You can record on both machines, too, by putting TiVo in standby mode. In Standby, you will also be able to watch live while recording.

Note that you do *not* need a splitter to watch live and record when you use cable with no box.
Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do I put the TiVo on Standby?
cpsilo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:45 PM   #103
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cpsilo1
Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do I put the TiVo on Standby?
TiVo article on standby mode

Instructions may be slightly different for different models. Additional, some models of TiVo remotes have a button that actives standby mode. Universal remotes can also send the standby sequence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:20 AM   #104
Karl_Schubert

Thumbs up The Watching Live While Recording Something Else Thread by ZikZak

ZikZak,

This directional and information posting is incredibly helpful. Thanks to you and everyone else who has provided clarifying information on how to do this under many circumstances. I have both a TiVo S2 & a TiVo "Classic" and the situation of one with a cable box and one without and you've covered it all.

Thanks!

Karl.
Karl_Schubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:12 PM   #105
anth26

It is possible to record regular(non-digital cable) TV on one output while watching live tv of the digital cable on another output?
anth26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:41 AM   #106
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Yes, split the cable before the cable box. One split goes to the cable box; the other goes to tivo's RF input.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:31 AM   #107
richtfan

the wiring diagrams don't address this issue

what about the digital output connection that has to be made between the av receiver and the directv receiver w/tivo? bypassing that would be silly and detrimental to the sound quality.

how does that factory into the equation?
richtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:45 AM   #108
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Why are you trying to bypass a DirecTivo?
Old 09-18-2005, 02:32 PM   #109
robbieree
NY,NY

thanks for the write up. i was looking for a setup with two cable boxes.. watch one while recording another. you spelled it out. thanks again.
robbieree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:02 PM   #110
MothershipRyan

Dish Network - HD Receiver model DP811

So how would I go about this for my dish network box?

Would I just do the same thing as noted above for the cable boxes? i.e get a splitter?

I am completely new to the satellite game and the wife wont get off me about watching and recording.

Thanks.
MothershipRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:58 PM   #111
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

You can't do it with satellite at all without another satellite receiver. See the original post in this thread for details.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:02 PM   #112
Jacquelyn11

Smile New DirecTV/Tivo user! Setup Question.

Newbie member here! I've scanned your FAQ's and found a wealth of info.

I do have an opinon question on setups.

We currently have a 2 directv receivers, one with a separate Tivo. We have purchased a combo DirecTV/Tivo Unit to be installed tomorrow. We have splitters already on one line (and will on the 3rd).

My question is this: Which unit is the easiest to do the "Watch Live while Recording" mode? The combo Unit or the seperate units? The installer is coming tomorrow morning so a quick reply is helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Jacquelyn
Jacquelyn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:57 PM   #113
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquelyn11
My question is this: Which unit is the easiest to do the "Watch Live while Recording" mode? The combo Unit or the seperate units? The installer is coming tomorrow morning so a quick reply is helpful!
This thread is mostly applicable to the standalone models. The dual tuner DirecTivos are superior for watching live while recording, because they have two tuners. Especially given that satellite cables are much more difficult to split, you probably want to go with the DirecTivo. Some features of the standalone will not be available, however, such as program folders and Home Media, but you already have the standalone for that.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:37 PM   #114
hhf

i have a tivo and a dvd/vcr player both connected with a rf splitter. the vcr/dvd connects to the tv with the rf cable. the tivo connects to the tv with the 3 colored cables. the vcr/dvd works ok. i get video through the tivo but no audio. any suggestions?
hhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:42 PM   #115
ReaDOnlYP
Navy Nuke

The 3 colored cables are component video. Those don't have sound. You need a red and a white cable from tivo to audio in on your TV for sound.
ReaDOnlYP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:58 PM   #116
hhf

thanks for the reply. i must be slow. the cable that i have is red, white and yellow. i have the red and white from tivo to audio on the tv. the yellow is connected to the video.
hhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:22 PM   #117
ReaDOnlYP
Navy Nuke

Are the red and yellow plugged into the input or output of the tv? BTW check you PMs hhf.
ReaDOnlYP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:16 AM   #118
tivoash

Standby mode problems

I have Comcast Digital Cable with HD capability and would like to watch tv through my digital cable box while recording something on TiVo. However, when I put my TiVo in standby mode to do this (we have the splitter set up) my guide does not come up from Comcast. Any helpful solutions?

Thank you!
tivoash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #119
scottyboy218

I've been reading all these threads, and maybe I missed it, but I don't see any info on how to set my particular one up

I've got directv coax line running into a splitter, one line is feeding into the back of the tv, the other is feeding into the sat1 spot on my tivo box

Unfortunately I'm not able to link you since I haven't posted enough, but my tivo box is a HUGHES HR10-250.

Hughes HR10-250 (HR10250) Back Panel Connections

-SAT IN (2 Sets)
-Off-Air Antenna In (1 input with internal splitter to 2 internal tuners)
-Audio L/R output (1 sets)
- HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface that carries both digital video and
audio on a singe cable)
-Y, Pr, Pb Component Video Outputs capable of 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i
output formats
-S-Video
-Composite Video (RCA Jacks)
-Phone Jack
-VCR Control
-Digital audio out (Dolby AC3)
-USB Connector

I have no cable box or VCR.

Is it possible with this setup to...

A) Record something while watching another show live?
B) Record two things simultaneously?

Thanks!

Last edited by scottyboy218 : 01-20-2007 at 06:49 PM.
scottyboy218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:51 PM   #120
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

You can't split a satellite line that easily, and even if you could, your TV can't tune it.

The DirecTivo is designed to record two simultaneously or watch-live-while recording.

You need to run two separate cables from the satellite dish and plug them both into the satellite inputs. It's possible to use a stacker/destacker to send two signals down a single cable from the dish, but in either case, you need to go work at the dish itself if you don't already have two feeds. If you're uncomfortable with that, you can get an installer to help you out.