Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2004, 02:27 PM   #61
lvirden

Re: The Watching-Live-While-Recording-Something-Else Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by ZikZak
The only case when you would ever need to watch-Live-while-recording is the case when you need to watch programs E and F which are on at the same time and never repeated.
It's sometimes fascinating, but nearly always frustrating, to watch people, who don't know me, tell me why that I don't want to do something that I'm pretty certain I do want to do.

However, this article certainly, if one ignores the extraneously verbage, does present some alternatives
to someone who is pretty certain they know what they want or need.

Thanks.

As for "the only case" - hmm. Let's see. here's one real world example of where I've been asked about watching live tv. My wife wants to watch live tv because the 40 hrs of tivo is usually filled with programming specified by the other 5 members of the family, and once she has watched those programs in which she has an interest, she'd rather not just sit and look at a blank tv screen.

However, she can't use the standard tivo 'live tv' option, since the tivo's busy recording various programs for the 5 or 6 of us - and since series 2 standalone tivo appears to use its 'live tv' tuner to record, she is left watching all the weird things that the rest of us are watching, until the next one of her shows is recorded.

So, she can spend out the $400-$600 for her own tivo with lifetime subscription, or we could work out the splitting, etc. so that she could watch something on another tuner somewhere - either the tv, the vcr, etc.

We finally worked things out, but it took asking a number of people who were certain we didn't need it
before we got everything cabled correctly.

Right now, we are fortunate to have figured out a setup where we can watch tivo, video tapes (sometimes that's the only medium that some programming's avaialble on), dvd, or non-tivo'd live tv.

It does require using several remote controls - that's the scariest part ... keeping track of all the
devices.

So to someone really interested in doing such a thing, just know that there are choices if you too have
some personal reasons why you are pretty certain that you want/need to do it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tcl - the language INSIDE TiVo!

1 TiVo Series 2 StandAlone, 40 hr, upgraded to 2 160 gig Maxtor drives

Even if explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should be construed as representing my employer's opinions.
lvirden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 09:16 AM   #62
wcadigan

how did you wire your various components?
I have invested a lot of money in an LCD HDTV which must be watched live to appreciate it. If I wire with a splitter between the wall and the digital HDTV cable box, then I can only Tivo analog stations (25% of all that I get through the cable box), and since I am told the splitter degrades the signal, the picture is not as clear as it coud be. Other than getting a second cable box, I would love to hear other possible solutions.
wcadigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 09:28 AM   #63
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

wcadigan,

Many HDTV cable boxes have multiple outputs. Have you tried wiring the box's analog outputs to the TiVo and digital outputs to the TV? This would allow you to do most of your watching through the TiVo, but still watch HDTV live. (You couldn't watch-live-while-recording-something-else, though)
Old 02-26-2004, 09:36 AM   #64
mdscott

Amplifying on what ZikZak said:

The Motorola DCT 5100 (used by Comcast in many markets) can be hooked up:

Component (or DVI) video to HDTV with optical audio to AV receiver or TV.
S-video (or composite) and L/R stereo audio to TiVo

When you are watching HD "live" the TiVo will be receiving an SD version of the output -- downconverted by the 5100. The main problem is to make sure (I simply record) that TiVo does not change channels during the program because if it does you will not see the normal warning while watching HD.

There are a number of us who have similar setups.

mds
Old 02-26-2004, 11:19 AM   #65
lvirden

Quote:
Originally posted by wcadigan
how did you wire your various components?
Okay, let's see if I can recall how I have everything cobbled together.

My television has 3 video inputs - coaxial, s-video, and a red/yellow/white rca plug type of signal.

Currently, I have a coaxial standard signal cable system feed that I split into two parts.
The first part goes into tivo, the second part goes into my vcr.

I use two of the tivo video outputs - one to the television's coaxial, the other to the vcr's audio/video input plugs (allows me to spin tivo recorded shows onto tape - my only video recording format right now).

I have output from the vcr going into the television's red/yellow/white input plugs.

I have output from my dvd going into the television's s-video input.

This allows me to watch television either tivo live, or via the vcr's tuner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tcl - the language INSIDE TiVo!

1 TiVo Series 2 StandAlone, 40 hr, upgraded to 2 160 gig Maxtor drives

Even if explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should be construed as representing my employer's opinions.
lvirden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 04:05 PM   #66
wcadigan

Guys,
Thanks for the responses. I do have, from my digital HD cable box, component cables going to my tv, and s video going to tivo, but as you point out, I can't record while watching live tv with this set-up. The only way I can figure to do that is to split the signal, run one signal through the digital HDTV box, the other directly to tivo, and only be able to record analog channels, right?
Old 02-28-2004, 02:39 PM   #67
brenrher
Registered? Really?

It's worth mentioning that it appears Comcast's DVI port on the 5100 STB is not enabled in many markets. Folks should be aware that that hooking up via DVI cable and not seeing a picture means there is a problem only if the STB's DVI port is enabled.

Consider the postage stamp, my son. It secures success through its ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.
brenrher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 02:43 PM   #68
brenrher
Registered? Really?

Quote:
However, this article certainly, if one ignores the extraneously verbage, does present some alternatives
I don't think there is extraneous verbage - some topics don't lend themselves to 10-second sound bites. ZikZak has presented valuable information as a volunteer and his style of presenting the information is appropriate.

Consider the postage stamp, my son. It secures success through its ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.
brenrher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 12:26 PM   #69
mariahk63

Help with Satellite and watching/recording

I have read the entire thread and understand how to split the signal for cable. I have tivo with dish network. I want to watch live tv and record. Can this be done with a splitter? If so, exactly how? Thanks.

Maria
mariahk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 03:45 PM   #70
ccwf
国際化 Member

For satellite, you will need a second satellite receiver.

TiVo

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 09:11 AM   #71
wcadigan

OK, so i broke down and got another cable box! i now split the signal coming out of the wall. one goes to hd cable box and then to tv. oher goes to non-hd (different model) cable box and then to tivo and then to tv. I can watch live tv while recording on another input, BUT, now if i change channels with the remote (non tivo remote)on the live tv box, it also changes the channel on the cable box linked to tivo, so the show i'm recording changes! AARRGGHH! any suggestions?
Old 03-08-2004, 10:57 AM   #72
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

You should "Tent" your tivo's cable box, either by physically enclosing the tivo's IR blasters around the sensor in some way, or by putting tivo's cable box in a closet where it won't see your other remote's IR.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:02 AM   #73
wcadigan

thanks
Old 03-08-2004, 12:23 PM   #74
Randy Boecker

Specific example

Ok, I've been through this thread, but I want to verify my specific setup to see what's what. Please bear with me, I'm on day 3 of my Tivo....

I have a Dish Network 6000 receiver that I use for most of my channels. I also have "lifeline" cable that I use for just the locals for now (Dish still doesn't carry my local independent local channel) I don't have a cable box, I just have the cable IN line running directly into the Coax input on the Tivo. The satellite receiver is connected using analog audio and S-Video.

Now, a common scenario at my house is on Wednesday nights when Enterprise is on the local cable channel. I travel frequently, and need to be able to record Enterprise. In the past, with a VCR, my wife could watch whatever she wanted on satellite while the VCR was recording Enterprise over the cable.

Is this still possible with the Tivo? If I put the thing in standby mode, will it still record the local cable channel while we watch something on satellite? It would seem that if the VCR can record one channel over cable while we watch a different one, the Tivo should be able to do this as well. I know I'm screwed in terms of watching a show on satellite and recording a different show. It's how Tivo handles cable input as opposed to satellite where I'm still confused.

Thanks in advance.
Randy Boecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:51 PM   #75
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Randy, if you put the unit in standby, you will be watching cable live, not the satellite, since you've got the cable hooked up to the RF in.

If you run an additional line from the sat box to the TV inputs, then you can watch satellite live while Enterprise is recording by switching inputs on the TV.

However, since the reason that you want to do this is simply that:

Quote:
Now, a common scenario at my house is on Wednesday nights when Enterprise is on the local cable channel. I travel frequently, and need to be able to record Enterprise. In the past, with a VCR, my wife could watch whatever she wanted on satellite while the VCR was recording Enterprise over the cable.
this should not be a serious issue for you since now your wife can watch any previously recorded program while Enterprise records. Once you've set up Season Passes for all the programs you like to watch, and Now Playing starts filling up with programming goodness, chances are you both will stop watching live TV at all.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:34 PM   #76
rongopai

Greetings,
I have a series one 60 hr Phillips Tivo with a splitter and also a selector switch on the TV for the Tivo, Cable Box, and VCR. I just added a Comcast digital cable box (Scientific Atlanta) to my existing analog setup and dropped the DirectTv (External box w/IR Blaster).

I like to surf the digital channels without affecting the recording of the generally higher priority analog shows. I would to be able to:
* Record/View analog channels through the
RF connection
* Record/View Digital channels through the S-Video
connection (IR-Blaster)
* Use the 'Channels I recieve option to select the input.

I am not trying to record more than one program at a time.
I would like to avoid getting a second cable box.

Whif of the Guided setups should I use to navigate this tricky path.
* When I select Cable and No Cable Box there is
no option to add the cable box later.
* When I select Cable with a cable box it refuses to
use the RF port for anything except specific channels
origonating from the cable box (2-4).
* Any combination with satellite only provides options
for a satellite box.

I don't see why there is any hardware reason why this can not be achieved since I have been doing essentially the same thing with Directtv for a while. Perhaps a software upgrade is required to enable this feature but I would understand if it is not a high priority for Tivo. Any help that you can provide is most appreciated.

Thanks
rongopai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:07 AM   #77
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Sorry, that can't be done currently, as you've discovered. You were probably using the "Satellite with Cable" option when you had DirecTV, but there is no analagous "Cable with and without a box" option in Guided Setup. You're right: this could probably be achieved in software, but TiVo has never done it.

I'd say your best bet would be to hook it up the other way around, with the cable box feeding the TiVo and the analong line to your TV for channel surfing. You'll get better picture from the TiVo this way too, since you would be using the higher quality inputs instead of the RF.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:00 PM   #78
TivoGeezer
Snow-ina-ear

Correct, this cannot be done with the standard Tivo software. It is a feature I asked for a long time ago, directly to Tivo, before I found this forum, and they apparently blew it off. It seems like a pretty normal thing to want to do.

Once I hacked my Tivo and added a network connection, so I could get a "bash" prompt (see the "Underground" forum here for more information), I found that there is a program, written by the user "embeem", to do exactly this. You create the initial setup to get digital cable through the cable box with IR to the A/V inputs, and then add the second source of analog cable to the R/F input. Then you remove the duplicate channels from the lineups (also with his software) and it works like a champ.

Again, this unfortunately requires a hacked Tivo but once you do that and get this installed, life is beautiful.

If you won't read my
, at least look at my pictures on
or
or my
TivoGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 05:09 PM   #79
doans

Single Remote?

I didn't see this specific question asked, but pardon me if I missed it somewhere.
I have a Tivo Series 2 connected via an RF splitter so that I may watch something else while I am recording another program. This setup works fine except that I have to use the old TV remote to change the channel when using the direct RF input (Tivo connected to S-Video input of TV).
I can put the Tivo in standby and the power on/off, mute, and adjust the volume with no problems. But, changing the channels does not work. Why? I can mute, power on/off, and adjust volume directly through the TV but can't change the channel?? Doesn't seem to make any sense.
If anybody could clarify this or give me a suggestion it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
doans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 05:16 PM   #80
bmillsap

If you mean with the TiVo remote, I don't think the TiVo remote will control channel changes on your TV - just on the TiVo. You can configure the volume and TV Power buttons to control your TV, but not the channel changes. Idea being, I assume, that when you have a TiVo you won't be changing channels on the TV any more.
Unhacked TiVo S2 140-hour standalone 2/29/04-
bmillsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 08:33 AM   #81
lip89

I followed Tivos set up for using an RF splitter to run record on Tivo and watch something else. It works fine. YOu get a very powerfull splitter and run the cable line from the wall to the splitter. Then you run one coax to your cable box and one to the back of the TV. I can record Tivo in with my s-cable mode and then switch it to Component 1 to watch tv well recording. It works fine, there are no issues with it... and yes you do have to use your old tv remote to switch inputs to watch tv...but the issue is solved...unless you dont have various inputs on your tv..most have them
lip89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 12:37 AM   #82
lemur

Watching live Tv and recording on Tivo

Thanks for the tip even though I'm not user knowledgeable! I'll bring it up again when I get my Tivo working again. And my son, who of course, is a whiz with anything electronic can help. Just don't give him a car to fix
I have a program very dear to me that I sleep through, maybe this could help. Thanks, and BTW you sure are smart!!
lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 05:50 PM   #83
MattP

Is there any hack to always disable the RF feed, even when the TiVo is in non-standby mode? It actually boggles my mind that TiVo fails to expose such an option; I have a 7-year old VCR that allows you to choose channel 3 or 4 for the RF output when the VCR is on or to never actively output the VCR's video onto the RF signal, since using RCA video and audio output isn't exactly bleeding edge technology. It's all the more maddening because obviously this is just a software issue, since you can pass through the RF input to the output, but only after the awkward navigation of "Read New TiVo Messages & Setup" and then "Standby." Of course, that can be done blindly (without looking at the TiVo screen) with a press of the TiVo button, page down, select, page down, select. Well, at least it could if TiVo didn't insist on throwing some un-removable advertisement onto the bottom of your main menu for random periods of time.

In any case, I have analog cable and a TiVo Series 2, I have a TV with PIP, and I can't use PIP with truly live TV and TiVo "on" because TiVo insists on actively transmitting out the RF, even though I have it happily hooked up to the TV via S-Video and RCA audio. So I can't do PIP with TiVo in one window and live TV in another, nor can I just watch live TV without PIP while TiVo records something else without the annoying menu navigation (makes me long for the "Power" button on the remote of my friend's original Sony model). I realize I could get around this design flaw by splitting the cable signal, but as I already have to split the cable signal once for my cable modem, I'd rather not split it a second time--even the "why the hell would you want to do this" original post on this thread points out the signal degradation issue with this solution. So I'm wondering if there are any secret option hacks to just always passively pass through the RF input to the output and never display a TiVo signal on it?
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:21 PM   #84
HTH
No Avatar Selected

On a TiVo Series 2, you can use TiVo Slow PageDn Select to do Standby. It works regardless of a star menu item at the bottom of TiVo Central.

The simplest way to disable the RF feed out of the TiVo is to not hook it up to anything. Go with the splitter and ask your cable company to increase your signal strength to compensate. Using a 3-way splitter is also better than two 2-way splitters. I wouldn't worry about the signal strength that much; they'd put one on your line if you wanted installation in an additional room.

▘▘▀▌▌▘▀▘▌▘▀▘▙▌▐▖▙▘▙▌▌▘▙▘▙▘▟▘
▛▌▛▌▛▌▙▌▛▌▟▖▌▘▛▌▞▌▌▘▌▖▞▌▞▌▟▘

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.
HTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 06:19 PM   #85
KingBoo

Hookup Cross Check

Getting to the back of my entertainment center is a pain so I want to run this past the knowledgeable people on this forum to help save some backache. I have a series-2 standalone 40 hour TiVo, Comcast digital cable (Motorola DCT2224), Panasonic VCR, RCA receiver, and an Xbox. Currently I'm runnng a spliter from my main cable to the cable box and the TV with the signal running from the cable box to the TiVo to the receiver with a line out to the tv (standard setup). I want to switch so that the TiVo gets the analog cable signal (my trending shows we really only record the analog channels anyway) so that we are able to watch OnDemand when we want to (I record a lot so the TiVo is constantly in use) maximize my subscription to Comcast. If I run the cable from the splitter to the VCR to the TiVo to the receiver, and from the splitter to the cable box to the receiver will that work? I'm pretty sure that it will, but as I said I want to make sure before I move all my stuff around. It should be noted that I'm aware that I'll have to now use the IR Blaster to change the channels on the VCR. Thanks for any and all assistance!
KingBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 06:34 PM   #86
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: Hookup Cross Check

Quote:
Originally posted by KingBoo
If I run the cable from the splitter to the VCR to the TiVo to the receiver, and from the splitter to the cable box to the receiver will that work? I'm pretty sure that it will, but as I said I want to make sure before I move all my stuff around. It should be noted that I'm aware that I'll have to now use the IR Blaster to change the channels on the VCR.
TiVo cannot change channels on the VCR. I would run the connection from the splitter to TiVo to your receiver. Either connect the VCR's inputs to the other set of TiVo's outputs or to the receiver.

Although splitter to VCR to TiVo will work, that configuration would require that you be sure the VCR is off whenever TiVo wants to record.

Finally, you will need to repeat guided setup and tell the TiVo DVR you no longer want it to control a cable box.

TiVo

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 06:54 PM   #87
KingBoo

RE: RE: Hookup Cross Check

Thanks for the help, I wasn't sure how TiVo handled direct cable connections. You've saved my back much trouble!
KingBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 11:16 PM   #88
zati1

okay. i've studied these threads long and hard and i still can't seem to find a way to make this work. and i know, i know, i should have been able to by now since i'm sure i've already read it 20 times.

anyway, i'm trying to hook up cable, no box (with a splitter so i can watch live tv+record) to a tv...to the toshiba sdh400. for some reason i can't get it to work. i've gotten it to the point where i have a second splitter coming out of the tv, since there is only one input there...so i can record on tivo and watch live tv, but now somehow the VCR is out of the loop. i can't see anything playing or recording on the vcr. the way i have it set up now is basically a giant mess of wires because i played the "let's see what happens when i hook this wire up to...THIS!" game. =/

any help is appreciated, thanks

jonathan
zati1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 05:57 AM   #89
mdscott

From your post you have a TiVo and a VCR to connect to a TV with only a single input. I will assume that this is an RF coax connector.

My suggestion would be"

Cable to splitter

Splitter A side --> TiVo --> A/B switch

Splitter B side to VCR --> A/B switch

A/B switch to TV

You would switch between the two inputs to the TV via the A/B switch

mds
Old 09-22-2004, 10:31 AM   #90
zati1

so i have to go buy something called at A/B switch? why doesn't it say anything about that in any of the manuals/diagrams? and where can i get one, i can't find it at best buy.
zati1 is offline   Reply With Quote