TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2004, 05:04 PM   #31
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: help!

Quote:
Originally posted by wcadigan
is there a simple way for a non-techie like me to improve this?
Getting another cable box is the simplest and most flexible solution. There are others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 06:56 AM   #32
souperbait00

it may surprise the ZikZa, but there are people who can sit through a show with commercials. now since TiVo wasn't smart enough to make all models able to record more then 1 program at the same time, people need to watch tv as it happens like the rest of the world.

so i was thinking of buying a tivo as a gift. but the draw back are...#1 if something is lifetime it means your lifetime not a machine that could decide to go crazy at anytime.

so you said that the directTV tivo records 2 programs that are at the same time....but don't you need the dish? so that doesn't help.

so I'm not seeing how tivo is something good. it seems to work just like a VCR. sept with less of a headache. so i think i may pass cause this only seems like a headache. so it does everything a vcr does minus a tape. which i think is stupid since i can watch a tape anywhere... tivo should come up with a removable memory.

i wanted to get this so my mom doesn't have to keep missing shows she forgets to record, plus she deals with alot of tapes since she watchs alot of tv but doesn't have time to watch it, and deals with shows that on at the same time, so she had to use more then one VCR. so it would just be easyer in one place but that seems not to be what i thought tivo can do.

maybe tivo will find someone who watches tv and listens to problems they have and improve. its just a digital vcr... so what if it can skip commercials on live tv....so can my VCR its called fast forward.
souperbait00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 10:01 AM   #33
wcadigan

what would others be (w/o getting another digital cable box)?
wcadigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 10:13 AM   #34
skst

Quote:
Skst,
I believe that Tivo will still try to record shows while in standby... But then I could be wrong. Ideally, the Tivo would be completely stand-alone while I watch ONDEMAND, but for that I really would need two cable boxes.
Yes, TiVo will still record while it's in standby, but because it's in standby, it won't generate a signal on the RF feed, so it won't interfere with you watching ONDEMAND through the bypass. Of course, if "recording" means your TiVo tries to change your cable box's channel, then there's an issue. Two ways out of that are: 1) don't tell TiVo to record while you're watching ONDEMAND, or 2) get a second cable box.
skst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:47 PM   #35
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Update: added wiring diagrams and info about digital cable boxes.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:41 PM   #36
brenrher
Registered? Really?

In setting up two feeds from the wall, one should use a more recent RF splitter, than say one sitting around the basement from a few years ago. I haven't confirmed this yet, but for those of you in the know, I think it needs to have a range of up to 900 or 1000 MHz in order to split the video signal with full strength?

Consider the postage stamp, my son. It secures success through its ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.

Last edited by brenrher : 02-08-2004 at 01:52 PM.
brenrher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 12:35 PM   #37
dsbrady

DirecTV w/o built-in Tivo

Three months ago, I got a standalone Tivo while I had basic analog cable. I managed to get our system set up to have Tivo, a VCR, a DVD player, and an older TV (circa 1996) working well together so that we could record 1 thing on Tivo, 1 thing on the VCR, and watch something different on live TV, if we so chose.

However, with Comcast's recent price increase, we decided to get DirecTV since the package costs essentially the same but with twice as many channels. We went with the free equipment and installation offer from DirecTV.

Of course, we didn't realize how many differences there were between DirecTV receivers and that our options for using Tivo with the basic receiver were quite limited.

I ended up buying a higher-end receiver (RCA, about $100) and currently am using an IR cable from Tivo to the receiver.

However, if I'm right (and I haven't been able to find anything on here or with DirecTV that contradicts this), there's no way to watch something while I'm recording something else, or to record one thing on Tivo and record another on our VCR. I'm guessing this is because the only "tuner" is in the receiver itself (as opposed to a VCR or Tivo having a tuner built-in).

I know that ideally we would just get the DirecTV tuner with Tivo built in, but we spent $600 on our Tivo 3 months ago (system plus lifetime service). We still have the original DirecTV tuner, so I suppose we could hook that up to the VCR (but we'll have to manually set that receiver to the channel we want to record).

Are there any other options I'm missing? I know this thread says you don't need to watch live TV, but a lot of shows do not repeat later that week (e.g/, the majority of prime time shows).

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2004, 08:42 AM   #38
skst

I'm not familiar with the DirecTV receivers, but AFAIK they're like cable settop boxes, so they're what you need to use to select a channel. That means, although your TiVo and VCR each have a tuner in them (or else they couldn't record anything at all), they're useless. (That's why I'll never get a settop box.)

You might want to check one of these threads.

"Before you askplease check these top answers for TiVo questions!"
"How to set up VCR with record one and watch one channel with cable box option????"
"Recording a channel while watching another channel?"

Last edited by skst : 02-10-2004 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:15 PM   #39
dsbrady

Quote:
Originally posted by skst
I'm not familiar with the DirecTV receivers, but AFAIK they're like cable settop boxes, so they're what you need to use to select a channel. That means, although your TiVo and VCR each have a tuner in them (or else they couldn't record anything at all), they're useless. (That's why I'll never get a settop box.)

You might want to check one of these threads.

"Before you askplease check these top answers for TiVo questions!" (id 150060)
"How to set up VCR with record one and watch one channel with cable box option????" (id 151437)
"Recording a channel while watching another channel?" (id 150700)

(vBulletin isn't letting me post links to the threads--it thinks they're to "other sites." Grrr.)
Thanks. I had tried those threads, and most of those were regarding cable. It seems like you can split the cable input (which was what I was doing when we had basic cable), but I don't think that's an option with satellite, since the VCR probaby can't interpret the Satellite signals itself.

I guess I'll think of something.

Scott
Old 02-09-2004, 08:13 PM   #40
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by skst
Just to clarify: it's the tuner in the TiVo that's useless when you have a digital sat or cable box, not the TiVo itself, since the TiVo can control the digital set-top box.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:13 AM   #41
skst

Yes, absolutely. That's what I meant. Thanks for clarifying. (The VCR can probably control the settop box, too, since many of them ship with cable mice. But since you could only use one device that way, why would you pick the VCR.)
Old 02-11-2004, 06:40 PM   #42
ccwf
国際化 Member

ZikZak,

TiVoOpsMgr's post today on the subject should be incorporated into the information in the first post (especially the links).

TiVo

中日韓
Old 02-12-2004, 12:08 AM   #43
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Done. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2004, 11:48 AM   #44
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Thanks Charles for referring me; and big thanks to ZikZak -- very nice article.

TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 05:19 PM   #45
Jerry317

Hello,

I have previously posted the following but this thread may have additional suggestions for my problem.

Due to circumstances beyond my control I must go with a Tivo Standalone Unit. I am a Cablevision customer with a Cable Box and have Digital IO service.

In addition to Tivo's great features my main interest is to be able to watch one program and record another. I believe this is possible but here is my problem:

Being in the New Jersey/ New York viewing area I want for example to be able to watch Live Hockey on FSNY Channel 88 which is scrambled while I record a program on NBC Channel 4.

I have heard that this is not possible due to the fact that the SA Unit has only one tuner and FSNY is scrambled. The reverse would be possible, which would be to watch NBC Live and record FSNY which would be no help to me.

So my question finally is, with Tivo's SA one tuner unit can I watch Live Hockey on Scrambled FSNY and record a program on NBC and if so how would I make the connections?

Thanks again for all your previous help.
---Jerry---
Jerry317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 05:35 PM   #46
ccwf
国際化 Member

Split the cable before the cable box and attach TiVo to the split without the cable box.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 02-12-2004, 06:09 PM   #47
Jerry317

ccfw,

Thanks for the reply.

You said "Split the cable before the cable box and attach TiVo to the split without the cable box". I'm sorry but can you expand on this?

Do you mean after the splitter connect one to the Tivo and the other to the cable box?

After these are connected how do I make the connections to the TV?

Thank you so much for the reply I appreciate the help very much.

---Jerry---
Old 02-12-2004, 06:21 PM   #48
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry317
Do you mean after the splitter connect one to the Tivo and the other to the cable box?
Yes.
Quote:
After these are connected how do I make the connections to the TV?
Does your TV not have the ability to accept multiple sets of inputs? If so, you should consider getting an A/V switcher or receiver.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 02-12-2004, 06:51 PM   #49
Jerry317

ccwf,

Sorry I am so dense but that is why I asked for help.

My TV is a Sony Wega 32" flat screen 1-1/2 years old and has a myriad of inputs.

What I was hoping for was a step-by-step connection procedure.

Again, "Split the cable before the cable box and attach TiVo to the split without the cable box" was welcome help but not enough for my limited knowledge.

---Jerry---
Old 02-12-2004, 07:11 PM   #50
ccwf
国際化 Member

If you post what inputs your Wega has, what outputs your cable box has, and what outputs your TiVo has or what TiVo model you have, then folks here can post specific instructions.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 02-12-2004, 07:47 PM   #51
Jerry317

ccwf,

I have whatever is needed.

In my first post (today @ 6:19 PM) I said, "Due to circumstances beyond my control I must go with a Tivo Standalone Unit". I did not say I have a Tivo I said I must go with a Tivo. I would think that would mean that I have not purchased Tivo as yet because I wanted to make sure I would be able to do what the remainder of my post contained.

Many helpers (and thank goodness for them) in this thread gave step-by-step connection procedures, which is what I needed.

In any event thank you for half of the procedure. I will look elsewhere for the other half.

---Jerry---
Old 02-12-2004, 07:47 PM   #52
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by TiVoOpsMgr
Thanks Charles for referring me; and big thanks to ZikZak -- very nice article.
I'm glad you liked the article! Do I get a free plush doll?

Jerry317, you should use a coax splitter to split the cable from the wall. One of the splits should go to the cable box's RF INPUT. The other goes to the TiVo's RF input.

From there, wire S-Video (if available --- otherwise RCA video) and RCA sound outputs from each box to "input 1" and "input 2" respectively on the TV. That's pretty much it. Change channels to Video 1 to see the cable box output, and go to Video 2 channel to see the TiVo output. Be sure to re-run Guided Setup on the Tivo to tell it that you are using cable without a box.

Note that you will not be able to Tivo digital scrambled channels at all with this setup.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:58 PM   #53
Jerry317

ZikZak,

Thank you so much for the complete information.

This is exactly what I needed and not only that I understand your very clear procedure.

Now I can go get my Tivo.

I so much appreciate your help.

---Jerry---
Old 02-12-2004, 08:05 PM   #54
ccwf
国際化 Member

In addition to what ZikZak wrote, if you get a TiVo+DVD combo model, you probably want to use the component outputs instead of S-Video.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 02-12-2004, 08:12 PM   #55
Jerry317

ccwf,

Should I opt for that it's good information to have.

Thanks,
---Jerry---
Old 02-12-2004, 08:25 PM   #56
ccwf
国際化 Member

Depends on whether or not you have a DVD player or recorder and want one. You'd be better off asking whether or not it's worth it to buy a TiVo+DVD combo model in the TiVo Coffee House area since relatively few people will see your question here, and we would be getting off-topic.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 02-12-2004, 08:40 PM   #57
Jerry317

ccwf,

I will do that.

Thanks,
---Jerry---
Old 02-15-2004, 01:55 PM   #58
WH_Pratt

Quote:
There are ways to bypass the cable past the TiVo so that you can let it record something while you watch something else live. But in reality there is rarely any need to do this, and while watching truly Live TV, you don't get the benefit of TiVo's trickplay features and the ability to skip commercials.
Despite your reasoning above, there are times when there is a need to watch another program live while the Tivo is recording. I have my system wired accordingly & use a second cable box so that I may access all available channels

Cogito
, Ergo Sum

WH_Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 06:16 PM   #59
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by WH_Pratt
Despite your reasoning above, there are times when there is a need to watch another program live while the Tivo is recording.
That is what "rarely" means.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:52 PM   #60
jafj

My Scientific Atlanta cable box from Bright House Network had an added module on the back which lets me send the output of whatever channel I have selected to my vcr set to recieve on channel 3. I can then Bypass the cable box and use my tv's tuner to watch any channel it can tune. I just got TiVo today and have not tried it, but suspect that with this setup going to TiVo instead of the vcr, I should be able to record one channel on TiVo and look at another on the tv's tuner. Right?
jafj is offline   Reply With Quote