TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
hvoldman@gmail.c

Tivo HD stopped recognizing the Tuning Adapter

I have a Tivo HD and it was working fine, with cable card and tuning adapter but then suddenly it stopped recognizing the tuning adapter.

I have tried everything possible. On the tivo, I have rebooted it from the menu, from the outlet and then finally I reset it completely.

On the Tunning Adapter (cablevison), I have replaced it, changed the USB cables and even plugged it in my PC (which recognized).

Cablevison sent a technician to my house which pretty much did the same thing. The USB port in the tivo is working since I use it with the wireless adapter.

I called Tivo several times, and in the last one they told me they would switch the box... but charge mw around $150, which I refused since I can bu the new Premiere with the upgrae for about $220. Everything else works fine, except the SDV channels thru the tunning adapter.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
hvoldman@gmail.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
djwilso

Is it a Cisco Tuning Adapter?

If so. when you power up the TA, does the blinking green LED eventually stay on steady or does it keep blinking forever?

If it does eventually stay steady on, you should try powering up the TA and the TiVo at the same time. The TA's LED should go to steady green just as the TiVo is about to display the TiVo Central menu. When you go to Live TV, the TiVo should display a big blue screen with a rotating wheel and say that it is acquiring channel information. This is when it downloads the channel map from the TA.

If the LED never stops blinking, then the TA has for whatever reason become deauthorized and you will need to call your cable company to have them send the TA an authorize signal.

You can tell if the TiVo is able to talk to the TA, authorized or not, by going into the TiVo menu and finding the Tuning Adapter Diagnostics screen. It is in the Settings section under CableCARD and devices if I remember correctly. The TiVo will tell you if it can't access the TA or it will show you the TA diagnostics menu screen.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
hvoldman@gmail.c

Thanks for the reply. It's a cisco adapter. I have unpluged it several times, changed, brought the cablevision technician who switched all cables. Nothing worked. The blinking light does goes solid green, but when I go to the tuning adapter menu in the tivo, there is no message. The tivo doesn't recognize it.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Have you tried rebooting the TiVo?
Old 03-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
hvoldman@gmail.c

Yes, I have restarted the Tivo, unplugged and reset it. Nothing worked.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
brasscat

Time to upgrade then
Old 03-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
hvoldman@gmail.c

Yes, that' what Tivo told me when I called them. It's hard though to swallow it, considering that everything else works in the Tivo. The only thing not working are the SDV channels, because the tuning adapter.

I have a gut feeling it has to do with some SW upgrade Tivo did, because it was working and all of the sudden it stopped. So i'm hoping a future SW rollout will fix it. I'm currently running v 11-0d-01-2-652. I was wondering if you can reply with the SW version you are running, to check if it's the same.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
HughBradley

TiVo Tuning Adapter Handshaking

I've had a TiVo HD on Time Warner (South Carolina) with a Tuning Adapter for about a year and a half; since Time Warner finally released TA's. I've had constant problems with the handshaking beteen the TiVo and the TA.

When I start losing switched digital channels, my remedy is to unplug the USB cables from the wireless adapter and the TA and then power down both the TiVo and the TA for a full minute.

I then watch the race between the TiVo and the TA both rebooting at the same time. Sometimes TiVo wins, sometimes not. When TiVo has rebooted and acquired channels through the cable card - not the TA, I reconnect the wireless adapter to its USB port and reconfigure the TiVo's wireless connection. If I reconnect the TA to its USB port first, it will lock-out the wireless adapter. The wired Ethernet port does not exhibit this problem.

I then reconnect the TA to its USB port, wait for TiVo to "see" it, and let TiVo acquire all the additional channels provided the the TA.

This procedure seems to work, but I really don't have a rationale for why it has to be such a pain.

I've observed that my TiVo/TA handshaking problems usually begin occuring within a day or two after TiVo detects a channel lineup change. I've had multiple support chats and discussions with both TiVo and Time Warner, but all they do is point to the other guy. I'm convinced that TiVo and Time Warner people don't talk to one another.
HughBradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
rd0125

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughBradley View Post
I've had a TiVo HD on Time Warner (South Carolina) with a Tuning Adapter for about a year and a half; since Time Warner finally released TA's. I've had constant problems with the handshaking beteen the TiVo and the TA.

When I start losing switched digital channels, my remedy is to unplug the USB cables from the wireless adapter and the TA and then power down both the TiVo and the TA for a full minute.

I then watch the race between the TiVo and the TA both rebooting at the same time. Sometimes TiVo wins, sometimes not. When TiVo has rebooted and acquired channels through the cable card - not the TA, I reconnect the wireless adapter to its USB port and reconfigure the TiVo's wireless connection. If I reconnect the TA to its USB port first, it will lock-out the wireless adapter. The wired Ethernet port does not exhibit this problem.

I then reconnect the TA to its USB port, wait for TiVo to "see" it, and let TiVo acquire all the additional channels provided the the TA.

This procedure seems to work, but I really don't have a rationale for why it has to be such a pain.

I've observed that my TiVo/TA handshaking problems usually begin occuring within a day or two after TiVo detects a channel lineup change. I've had multiple support chats and discussions with both TiVo and Time Warner, but all they do is point to the other guy. I'm convinced that TiVo and Time Warner people don't talk to one another.
I have been having a similar problem, and after a search, found this thread. The problem I have been seeing is that Tivo seems to "lose" the T/A, usually when I am not home to check as see if scheduled recordings are being made. Yesterday we came home after being away for several days and found that not one program that had been scheduled was recorded. I checked the channels using live tv, and got the dreaded black screen on each one.

I went through the T/A reboot procedure (disconnect T/A from Tivo via usb cable, remove power from T/A, connect power to T/A, wait foo steady green light on T/A, reconnect usb cable to Tivo, get the "a T/A has been connected, do you want to test the channels" screen), tested the channels, and found them all to be operational. I have never found a Tivo reboot to be necessary.

So I called the Time Warner National Cable Card Support Desk to voice my displeasure with their crummy Cisco T/A. NCCS is an excellent resource for cable card and tuning adapter problems. They are Tivo savvy and have the resources to handle most problems real time or to have a truck roll scheduled for the next day. The answer I got was surprising. It isn't the T/A, its Tivo (I have an HDXL). When Tivo has both a wireless adapter (I have the Tivo wireless adapter) and a T/A connected to it via usb, and Tivo connects for a download, it will, sometimes, but not always, drop the T/A usb connection. I was told that they had seen this problem frequently and experienced it with their in house TIVO HD. I was told that had I called them before I rebooted the T/A, the T/A diagnostics would show no usb data port connection to Tivo. I was told that the problem did not exist for wired lan connections, and going to a wired connection was the only solution to it. I was also told that Tivo would not acknowledge that the problem was with their box. In thinking the situation through, I recall that when I disconnected the T/A usb cord from Tivo, Tivo gave me the "Tuning Adapter has been disconnected" screen, which gives me some indication that Tivo at least "thought" it had a T/A connected to it.

Is there any further information, from Tivo, or elsewhere about this problem? Is the NCCS desk correct in saying that it is a Tivo problem, or is the T/A really just a flaky piece of junk (as I have thought it to be from day 1)? As I recall the T/A interface was an after thought to deal with SDV and was not something that was even considered in the Tivo - cable card interface design.
While I have never found the NCCS desk crew to be negative towards Tivo, do they find themselves in the situation where they have been told to put the problem on Tivo?
rd0125 is offline   Reply With Quote