TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-30-2006, 07:22 AM   #1
snooplives
Fa-sizzle dizzle

I have graphics but no signal on my 3-month old tivo.

I think the thread title speaks for itself. I have a series 2 tivo (actually I bought it for mom). She uses cablevision. She gets all the graphics, the guide, the menus. But no picture whatsoever. She unplugged it, reset it. She then put the coax directly into the back of the tv and she gets picture. Anybody have any idea what this is, and can you help?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 03-30-2006, 07:37 AM   #2
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooplives
I think the thread title speaks for itself. I have a series 2 tivo (actually I bought it for mom). She uses cablevision. She gets all the graphics, the guide, the menus. But no picture whatsoever. She unplugged it, reset it. She then put the coax directly into the back of the tv and she gets picture. Anybody have any idea what this is, and can you help?

Thanks,

Chris
How does she have the TiVo connected to the tv? Is she selecting the proper input on the tv?

Edit: misread the part about her getting a signal from the TiVo itself and not from the cable system. Is this a brand new TiVo? Has she ever received a signal before now?

Last edited by mec1991 : 03-30-2006 at 08:59 AM.
mec1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:22 AM   #3
JimSpence
Just hangin'

Is the TiVo setup to record from the cable without a box? You should re-run guided setup.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:12 AM   #4
snooplives
Fa-sizzle dizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mec1991
How does she have the TiVo connected to the tv? Is she selecting the proper input on the tv?

Edit: misread the part about her getting a signal from the TiVo itself and not from the cable system. Is this a brand new TiVo? Has she ever received a signal before now?
Yes, the tivo worked fine when I set it up for her. It happened about two weeks ago when she lost video (but not graphics, guide, etc.) She is hooked up to the internet via a wireless access point. Could that mean the tivo is getting the guide data from the internet, but the tuner is shot? Of course my 90 day warranty just expired, and I have a lifetime subscription. I need advice here if you guys have any. Please! I'm beggin ya.

Thanks.

Chris
Old 03-30-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
mikebridge

call tivo. thats part of what your subscription pays for, far faster for them to talk you thru various steps then bouncing back and forth to a web forum and waiting for users to suggest other things.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:37 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

I agree that you should repeat guided setup.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:11 PM   #7
snooplives
Fa-sizzle dizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203
I agree that you should repeat guided setup.

Dan
Now the darn thing is working. I don't know if my mother is slow or what. Thanks for your assistance.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
MickeS

Based on your first message, it's not clear if she uses a cable box or not. If she is, that's most likely the cuplrit. I had that problem, replacing the cablebox helped. On mine, it was only on one channel.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:22 PM   #9
fastep

Quote:

Thanks,

Chris

I set up my mom in florida with series 2 and adelphia cable. Everything worked fine since april. She called me today experiencing exactly the same problem. Cable feed was working as I had her test that first. I then told her to restart the box and after 6 minutes her picture was back and everything was fine.

I own several tivos for years and have never had this problem.
fastep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:43 PM   #10
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Quote:
Now the darn thing is working. I don't know if my mother is slow or what. Thanks for your assistance.
It sounds like it might be a loose connection at a splitter or something. You might have her check for that, it might stop working again .
Leon WIlkinson is offline   Reply With Quote