TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series 1 - UK
TiVo Community
Closed Thread
Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2005, 06:20 AM   #1081
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

I haven't got the time to be code merging - if you and shanew want to do that then great.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:38 AM   #1082
maxwells_daemon

Don't worry, Stuart, I wasn't trying to dragoon you into doing the work. I was just interested to hear what you thought of the idea.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:41 AM   #1083
iankb

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwells_daemon
Yes, I'm happy with them. However since petestrash (and maybe iankb?) said they'd give it a go, why don't we wait a week to check that it works for someone other than me.
I'm currently using it and, according to the endpad.msg log, it's got everything right so far. However, since I haven't recorded more than one program from the 'exceptional' channels, it could take a little longer to soak-test it. Will keep you posted.

Windows 7 MCE, 2 x Freeview Tuners, 1 x HD Freesat Tuner, 1TB Hard Drive, 1.5TB Mirrored Raid on e-SATA.
1 x Xbox360 MCE Extender.
1 x LinkSys DMA2100 Extender.
1 x Broken TiVo.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:33 AM   #1084
petestrash

Hi,

I am having some trouble with endpad-1.4.2-md2

With the suggested /var/hack/endpad.tcl -sugeq -auto >> dev/null & in rc.sysinit.author endpad did not start. Replacing with /var/hack/endpad.tcl -auto worked ok.

But the more major issue I believe is it's handling of station names.

In endpad.conf I have the following:
Code:
startpad 1
endpad 5
channel Ten-WA,Seven-WA,Nine-WA validity 19:30-06:00 endpad 18
sugeq
When endpad starts it shows:
Code:
Sunday 19:22:44 : endpad.tcl 1.4.2-md2 log file, starting up
Sunday 19:22:44 : Start padding set to 60 seconds
Sunday 19:22:44 : End padding set to 300 seconds
Sunday 19:22:44 : Suggestions will not be padded if another suggestion immediately follows them
Sunday 19:22:44 : Detected TiVo software version 3.0-01-1-000
Sunday 19:22:44 : Suggestion quality change disabled
Sunday 19:22:44 : Timezone 00:00
Sunday 19:22:44 : Configuration options:-
Sunday 19:22:44 : default: endpad 5 sugeq 0 sugqual -1 startpad 1
Sunday 19:22:44 : channel NINE-WA validity 19:30-06:00 endpad 18 sugeq 0 sugqual -1 startpad 1
Sunday 19:22:44 : channel SEVEN-WA validity 19:30-06:00 endpad 18 sugeq 0 sugqual -1 startpad 1
Sunday 19:22:44 : channel TEN-WA validity 19:30-06:00 endpad 18 sugeq 0 sugqual -1 startpad 1
When it came time to pad a show in the validity period, only the default padding was added:
Code:
Sunday 20:55:00 : Woken up
Sunday 20:55:01 : Recording {60 Minutes} on Ten-WA now
Sunday 20:55:01 : Recording Scheduled End Time: 21:00
Sunday 20:55:01 : Next recording is {Backyard Science} on ABC-WA at 10:20
Sunday 20:55:01 : Gap to next programme is 48000 seconds
Sunday 20:55:01 : Added 300 seconds end padding to {60 Minutes} on Ten-WA 
Sunday 20:55:01 : Next end padding setting due 10:25
Sunday 20:55:01 : Not time to add start padding yet
Sunday 20:55:01 : Next start padding setting due 10:18
Sunday 20:55:01 : Next wake up will be 21:25
I am guessing the reason it's happening is because the station name in endpad.conf had been converted to Caps by endpad (Ten-WA to TEN-WA), but it might be something else.

Peter
Old 09-25-2005, 09:06 AM   #1085
iankb

You don't show a location but, from the station names, I assume that you are based in Western Australia. I don't know about the US, but in the UK EPG data all station names are uppercase.

Since your EPG slices are home-cut, it's possible that your 'provider' has chosen to use mixed-case station names whereas official TiVo data always uses uppercase. Hence the problem, although I'm sure that it is easily solvable.

Windows 7 MCE, 2 x Freeview Tuners, 1 x HD Freesat Tuner, 1TB Hard Drive, 1.5TB Mirrored Raid on e-SATA.
1 x Broken TiVo.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:15 AM   #1086
maxwells_daemon

Hi Peter,

Thanks for testing it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petestrash
I am having some trouble with endpad-1.4.2-md2

With the suggested /var/hack/endpad.tcl -sugeq -auto >> dev/null & in rc.sysinit.author endpad did not start. Replacing with /var/hack/endpad.tcl -auto worked ok.
I can't reproduce your problem with specifying -sugeq. Can you post what's in your endpad.err file? That can be a little confusing because new runs are appended to old ones, so one can't tell which time gave an error. To be sure, you could move or delete endpad.err and try again.
Quote:
But the more major issue I believe is it's handling of station names.

I am guessing the reason it's happening is because the station name in endpad.conf had been converted to Caps by endpad (Ten-WA to TEN-WA), but it might be something else.
You are right. I didn't know that channel names could be mixed case (maybe that's a feature of version 3). Here is a new version that doesn't force all names to be upper case. This does mean that everyone has to be careful to specify the correct case, but that's par for the course on Linux.

I don't know where you are located, but I guess (from the channel names and the fact that you are using TiVo software version 3) it's not in the UK. Please be aware that the validity times you specify are in GMT, unless you specify a different timezone with the new -tz option. I only mention this because your example looks like you are trying to specify an evening validity.

Tim.
Attached Files
File Type: zip endpad-1.4.2-md3.zip (11.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-25-2005, 11:55 AM   #1087
petestrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwells_daemon
Thanks for testing it out.I can't reproduce your problem with specifying -sugeq. Can you post what's in your endpad.err file? That can be a little confusing because new runs are appended to old ones, so one can't tell which time gave an error. To be sure, you could move or delete endpad.err and try again.
Thanks Tim, I tried again and there is nothing showing in endpad.err as endpad just doesn't start at all with '/var/hack/endpad.tcl -sugeq -auto >> dev/null &' in rc.sysinit.author, but '/var/hack/endpad.tcl -sugeq -auto' it starts fine.

This doesn't bother me, just thought I'd point it out.

I am in Australia, and since TiVo isn't here we run our own emulator.

Your new version now works fine with our channel assignments.

I don't think Timezone will be an issue for us as it is handled differently here because there is no native tivo support for our timezones. So far it seem ok.

Thanks, I'll leave it for a week and drop a note back here.

Peter.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:59 AM   #1088
LJ

Maybe it's a typo when posting here, but there's a "/" missing before the "dev".
Old 09-25-2005, 12:01 PM   #1089
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

My bad, I still haven't fiexed the docs. The end of the line should be:

/dev/null &
Old 09-25-2005, 12:14 PM   #1090
petestrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderton
My bad, I still haven't fiexed the docs. The end of the line should be:

/dev/null &
Doh, I should have picked that.

I was following the readme.

Needless to say starts fine now.

Thanks,

Peter.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:57 AM   #1091
petestrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderton
My bad, I still haven't fixed the docs.
Seems to be working fine so far.

I might have a go at updating the readme to include all the new features.

I assume global options set at the command line are overruled by global options in the config file.

Peter
Old 09-28-2005, 12:17 PM   #1092
mrtickle

Quote:
I assume global options set at the command line are overruled by global options in the config file.
Other way around surely?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:41 PM   #1093
petestrash

I'll leave it for Tim to confirm,

But the way I read it is that command line switches set a default unless something in the config file overrides it.

So a global setting in the config file will override a command line global setting.

Peter.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:28 PM   #1094
tym

Command line options override config file default options.

BTW. I'm currently testing an enhanced version of 1.4.2-md3 that adds matching based on program title.

Tym
Old 09-28-2005, 05:42 PM   #1095
maxwells_daemon

Quote:
Seems to be working fine so far.

I might have a go at updating the readme to include all the new features.
That would be very kind. Writing the documentation always seems to be the most painful bit for me

Since this is to replace the standard 1.4.2, I guess the settings in the packaged endpad.config should be commented out so if people upgrade from 1.4.2, they don't see any unexpected change of behaviour.

When that's done, we can bump the version number to 1.5.

Quote:
No, the order of precedence is (highest to lowest, with higher overruling lower)

1) time-dependent, channel-specific settings (in config file)
2) channel-specific settings (in config file)
3) time-dependent settings (in config file)
4) command-line settings (all global)
5) global settings in config file

Although it's probably not much use, if there happens to be more than one setting that applies at any one level, the last one specified (in the config file or on the command line) is used.

Tim.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:59 PM   #1096
petestrash

Ok, I'll have a go at putting some docs together over the weekend.

Peter.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:52 AM   #1097
Ian_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym
Command line options override config file default options.

BTW. I'm currently testing an enhanced version of 1.4.2-md3 that adds matching based on program title.

Tym
1. Does this mean the start line in rc.sysinit.author.edit (or eqiv) could be:-

/var/hack/endpad.tcl -auto >> /dev/null &

with start and end values being taken from the .config file ?

2. Excellent. Casualty is the only prog I have added padding to as it sometimes runs about 10mins late on Saturday, thats why I mentioned it.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:56 AM   #1098
Fozzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_m
Casualty is the only prog I have added padding to as it sometimes runs about 10mins late on Saturday, thats why I mentioned it.
Why not just add 10 mins to the stop time in the SP itself?
Old 09-29-2005, 04:06 AM   #1099
Ian_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie
Why not just add 10 mins to the stop time in the SP itself?
I have done (actually 15mins), but this "hardpadding" often stops the subsequent programme, usually on the same side, recording, which is why Endpad is better.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:24 AM   #1100
Fozzie

I don't know what region you're in, but the most I've ever had Casualty overrun is a couple of minutes.

The only way to be sure of catching the end is to hard-pad. I've already been through the dilema of soft-padding vs. hard-padding and missing the next recording; I went for the hard-padding
Old 09-30-2005, 07:47 AM   #1101
tym

This attached version adds program name based padding and auto config reloading to maxwells_daemon's 1.4.2-md3 endpad. There are a couple of minor bugfixes as well.

I've also added an integrated shanew's negative padding mods with a few additions that allow finer control of negative padding based on the current and next programs (eg. don't negative pad into specific programs).

Unfortunately shanew's negative padding doesn't work on my ozTiVo (TiVo v3 - failed when trying to create manual recording) so I've used some code from the manrec tivoweb module to truncate the recording - this should work in UK and other tivos.

I've tested this for a couple of days, but obviously it needs more diverse testing (especially the negative padding feature).

Code:
startpad 1 endpad 10  # Global defaults
# Hi-5 is almost always on time, and I don't want my child watching next prog
channel Nine-Mel program {Hi-5} -s 0 -e 0
# Temptation always runs over, see the end rather than start of the next prog
channel Nine-Mel program {^Temptation$} negpad 4
# Never take off start of any CSI program
channel Nine-Mel program CSI maxneg 0
Tym
Attached Files
File Type: zip endpad-1.4.2-md3-tk1.zip (14.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-30-2005, 06:58 PM   #1102
maxwells_daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym
This attached version adds program name based padding and auto config reloading to maxwells_daemon's 1.4.2-md3 endpad. There are a couple of minor bugfixes as well.
Very impressive! So far, I've just had a look at the code changes without trying it out on the TiVo. I found a few minor problems, which are corrected in the attached version.

1) The program can crash if a time-specific setting line follows a programme-specific setting line ("can't read newopt(program)"). Eg.
Code:
program Buffy endpad 20
validity 18-05 endpad 10
2) Command-line configuration options are ignored!

3) The timezone setting on the command-line was overridden by a setting in the config file. Command-line global options should always take precedence.

4) Up here, the spelling is "programme", not "program" (for a TV programme, as distinct from a computer program). I set it to allow both spellings in the config file.

I also tidied up the code and comments a little further. If you look at the differences, you might prefer diff -b to skip all the spacing-only cleanups.

One remaining oddity is that if both programme-specific and time-specific setting lines match, then the last one specified in the config file is the one used. Eg. in the example config above, if Buffy us on between 6pm and 5am, then an end padding of 10 minutes is used.

Ideally I guess, the programme-specific setting should take precedence, but implementing that is a little cumbersome. I think it's easier just to document this wrinkle and suggest people put the programme-specific settings at the end.

Tim.

PS. I called it 1.4.2-md4 because 1.4.2-md3-tk1-md1 would be a bit much. But it is based on your version 1.4.2-md3-tk1.
Attached Files
File Type: zip endpad-1.4.2-md4.zip (14.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by maxwells_daemon : 09-30-2005 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:11 PM   #1103
tym

Tim,

Looks good.

I notice now that I forgot to remove the warning comment from the code regarding v3 tivos and negative padding (this isn't an problem now).

A few other ideas...:
- For completeness you should be able to enable or disable sugeq (rather than just enable it with no ability to disable). I don't know why you would want to do this though - it'd probably be only used globally anyway.
- It would be nice to have rules based on day of week rather than just time of day. We have stations here which are notorious for running late on specific evenings.

Tym
Old 10-01-2005, 10:31 AM   #1104
maxwells_daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym
- For completeness you should be able to enable or disable sugeq (rather than just enable it with no ability to disable). I don't know why you would want to do this though - it'd probably be only used globally anyway.
Great minds think alike. I considered the same thing while I was admiring your improvements. The change could be a little confused, because enabling sugeq sets sugcancancelsug to 0. What way round should the option be? Also should we worry about compatibility with previous versions of endpad.config?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym
- It would be nice to have rules based on day of week rather than just time of day. We have stations here which are notorious for running late on specific evenings.
I'm having a go at this now. So far I got it to recognise and display "validity Sun" or "validity Sat/18:00-05:00". I still need to think through the best way to make the comparison in getConfig.

Tim.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:07 AM   #1105
cwaring
VM Tivo User

Re-writing

Hi Guys!

Just insatalled this much-lauded module but it's not working.

Here's what I have done:

the .tcl and .config are in '/var/hack' and my 'rc.sysinit.author' looks like this:

Code:
/var/hack/tivoweb-tcl/tivoweb &
/var/hack/endpad.tcl -s 2 -e 5 -auto >> dev/null &
I have not enabled any options in the .config file. Thought I'd leave everything to default to start with. Have also re-booted Tivo.

If anyone has any idea as to what I might (probably have!) done wrong, it would be very-much appreciated

Thanks.

with the new

Get
- TV Guide for Windows

Last edited by cwaring : 10-02-2005 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:18 AM   #1106
Fozzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaring
Just insatalled this much-lauded module but it's not working.
Not the most helpful of explanations.

Quote:
Code:
Change 'dev/null &' to '/dev/null &'
Old 10-02-2005, 06:22 AM   #1107
cwaring
VM Tivo User

Quote:
Not the most helpful of explanations.
I'm confused. What else can I tell you. It's not adding any padding at the start or end of a recording, therefore it doesn't work

Quote:
Change 'dev/null &' to '/dev/null &'
Interesting, as I just copied that straight from the readme.txtfile

However, will do. Thanks. Will I need to re-boot or is there another way to re-run that .author file?

with the new

Get
- TV Guide for Windows

Old 10-02-2005, 06:42 AM   #1108
iankb

With regards to the channel and time-based changes, I've run for a week or so and have to report that none of my recordings fitted into the special ranges that were able to take advantage of soft-padding. However, the good thing is that the standard settings still worked fine. So I see no reason not to use the new version, because it appears to be at least as good as the standard version.

1 x Broken TiVo.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:04 AM   #1109
Fozzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaring
I'm confused. What else can I tell you. It's not adding any padding at the start or end of a recording, therefore it doesn't work
So if you have a problem with your car, you'd just drop it off at the garage, say it doesn't work and then walk out the door?! A decription of the problem, symptoms, what you've tried, what's in the log etc. is always helpful, rather than just a "it doesn't work". I would have thought someone with so many posts would have known that?

Quote:
Interesting, as I just copied that straight from the readme.txtfile
Halfway up this very page, you should have seen >>this<< post.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:09 AM   #1110
cwaring
VM Tivo User

Quote:
So if you have a problem with your car, you'd just drop it off at the garage, say it doesn't work and then walk out the door?! A decription of the problem, symptoms, what you've tried, what's in the log etc. is always helpful, rather than just a "it doesn't work". I would have thought someone with so many posts would have known that?
I'm sorry. I thought I had adequately described what I had done and which files I had put where.

Problem: It doesn't work.
Symptoms: No padding at start or end of programmes
What I have done/tried: See original post. To whit...

Quote:
Here's what I have done:

the .tcl and .config are in '/var/hack' and my 'rc.sysinit.author' looks like this:

Code:
I have not enabled any options in the .config file. Thought I'd leave everything to default to start with. Have also re-booted Tivo.
Which error log (there are quite a few!) should I be looking in?

Quote:
Halfway up this very page, you should have seen >>this<< post.
Well, I did say didn't have the time to read 30-odd pages. Okay, so that was on the last page and I will admit that I missed it. My bad

Edited to add: Sorry, again. I've just realised what I think you were getting at. I can't try anything to solve the problem as I know nothing at all about Linux so wouldn't have a clue where to start looking for problems

with the new

Get
- TV Guide for Windows

Last edited by cwaring : 10-02-2005 at 08:29 AM.
Closed Thread