TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series 1 - UK
TiVo Community
Closed Thread
Forum Jump

Old 01-19-2005, 04:56 PM   #961
a_tivo_noob

i really do apologise if this has already been asked somewhere in this (48 page!) thread

I have endpad running on my Tivo, which was included on an image kindly donated to me by a member of this forum back in April 2004 (IIRC) and it was working like a dream, up until the last couple of months, whereby, due to BT, poor little Tivo could no longer dial in and, was struggling for a couple of weeks with no guide data...

now, since then, it's been dialling back in regularly, however, EndPad has stopped working... i'll be honest, i haven't a clue what to do... I really would appreciate any help - tried many resets and all sorts but to no avail...

your patience and replies are much appreciated!

cheers
Old 01-19-2005, 05:04 PM   #962
mike0151
A Friend of Dot

Sounds like your /var directory has been recreated, thus you have lost all or most of your hacks. This can happen from time to time. Do a search for more info. You'll need to reinstall the hacks to get them working again. This will also happen if you request the 2.5.5.a version of the software to overcome the teletext problem.

HTH

Mike
Old 01-25-2005, 05:30 PM   #963
lcsneil
Shrubber

Having probs with endpad.

Noticed the other night it didn't pad a prog I had recorded. Checked out the logs and saw this...

Tuesday 23:11:18 :
Tuesday 23:11:18 : endpad.tcl 1.3.3 log file, starting up
Tuesday 23:11:18 : Start padding set to 60 seconds
Tuesday 23:11:18 : End padding set to 300 seconds
Tuesday 23:11:19 : Error detected
can't read "nextbutonerecstartdate": no such variable
while executing
"expr $nextbutonerecstartdate * 86400 + $nextbutonerecstarttime"
Tuesday 23:11:19 : Attempting to recover
Tuesday 23:11:49 : Error detected
can't read "nextbutonerecstartdate": no such variable
while executing
"expr $nextbutonerecstartdate * 86400 + $nextbutonerecstarttime"
Tuesday 23:11:49 : Attempting to recover
Tuesday 23:11:49 : Too many errors, stopping

Ran it again from the Bash Prompt and got the same thing - one thing to do in my ToDo list (for 3/2) before anyone suggest that might be the prob.

Any ideas??

Neil
Old 01-25-2005, 05:40 PM   #964
Fozzie

Have you tried running the latest version (1.4.1) ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:48 AM   #965
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

It's a known bug, but figured that the occasions where you only have one thing in the entire To Do List was so rare I didn't fix it.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:48 AM   #966
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

It's a known bug, but figured that the occasions where you only have one thing in the entire To Do List was so rare I didn't fix it.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:40 AM   #967
paul_J2

Is there an idiots guide somewhere to how to install this software on the TiVo? I see nothing in the FAQ or on the sticky links, just lots of references to cron jobs and the like in this thread. Just WTF do I need to do? Surely this should be a stickly link? Or did I miss it???
Old 01-26-2005, 08:49 AM   #968
Fozzie

The first post of this thread and the readme.txt in the endpad.zip file explain how to install it.

You don't need to do anything with cron - just follow the instructions.

(What exactly is a "stickly link"? )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:21 AM   #969
lcsneil
Shrubber

[quote]Originally posted by sanderton
It's a known bug, but figured that the occasions where you only have one thing in the entire To Do List was so rare I didn't fix it. [/QUOTE

Are there any plans to fix it?

<update now got it running - newer version has differnt cmd line param -Doh >

Neil

Last edited by lcsneil : 01-26-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:41 AM   #970
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

It will be unrelated.

Hmm, I could pull out the code, figure out a fix, test it, upload it, cause 1,000-odd people to upgrade their software 'case they haven't got the altest version anymore or... you could just hit the record button in the guide to put a second item in the TDL.

Close call.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:48 AM   #971
lcsneil
Shrubber

OK I'll rephrase that then. Any plans to incoroporate a fix in the next release (if there is one...)

Hmmm I got the "Close call" response from the 'pooter help desk at work today as well when summit still wasn't working. Completely different matter though!

2nd item now scheduled.....

Neil
Old 01-27-2005, 09:30 AM   #972
paul_J2

Installing this...

Sorry, I downloaded the zip file, but all it says is

"Copy to the TiVo using binary mode FTP then"

This is the heart of my question. How do I set up a binary mode ftp connection to the TiVo - what connectors do I need (RS232 serial cable? )? Do I need to open the TiVo? I can probably handle the ftp part from my PC, but it is the connectivity that I am asking about, and which I can't find any details for.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:34 AM   #973
alextegg
Tall Member

Paul,

The connectivity is provided either using a serial cable, or ethernet if you have installed a turbonet or cachecard to provide the ethernet interface.

This is the easiest option if you are going to add more hacks in the future. Once a network card is installed, you can install hacks easily, all of which are detailed on this forum.

HTH,

Alex

and

S1 shelved to wait for
to revive it
Brand new lovely VM TiVo from 18/02/2011 :)
Old 01-27-2005, 02:13 PM   #974
Fozzie

@paul_J2 - without wishing to sound rude, this thread is about endpad and not fairly basic questions about how to hack Tivo. Most hack installation instructions assume a certain base level of knowledge. Without this, all the threads would end up getting bogged down answering the same questions and important information pertaining to the hack itself ends up getting lost in the noise.

Have a quick search and I guarantee you'll find all your questions (and more) already answered in quite a few other threads. Good luck

Last edited by Fozzie : 01-27-2005 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:23 PM   #975
Greg.Steele

Thanks for posting this. I hate to ask a stupid question, but how do I get a TELNET session to the Tivo unit? I have it set up to use my wireless home network and I can ping the IP address it says it's using, but I can't open a TELNET session to the address.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:26 PM   #976
gregh

Greg,

Use a terminal emulator, or under XP open a command prompt and type telnet!

Greg

Old 02-07-2005, 05:29 PM   #977
Greg.Steele

Thanks for the response. I had tried a terminal emulator first, then telnet from the DOS prompt in W2k. I was getting a "connection refused" message.

I did a little more googling and it appears that telnet isn't enabled in the software as delivered and you have to hack it up to enable it. The unit I have is a Toshiba with a DVD player in it (no floppy) and I don't even know if the BIOS will boot from it. Even if it does, I'm not sure that I want to take a chance on screwing something up and winding up with nothing. I'm not exactly a Linux hacker.

I guess I'll just have to stay mad at Tivo. I've already told my kids to get their DVRs from the cable company. I think it's sad that a company can ignore their customers so thoroughly. They don't appear to even read this forum.

Thanks again.

Greg
Old 02-08-2005, 08:14 AM   #978
AMc

Greg.Steele - Are you using a UK Thompson Scenium Tivo?
These are the only units available to the UK market, you may find better help in the US forums if you have a US Tivo.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:19 AM   #979
pahunt

If it's a series 2, which it sounds like it is, then you are best off looking for hacking info at the "other" forum that we can't mention here but google will find if you search for "database hacking tivo". Be prepared for a steep learning curve though.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:20 PM   #980
Keris

Shortening a programme?

First, endpad is really useful, thanks for it!

I'd like an extra feature, though, I don't know whether it is possible.

On most of the cable channels (NTL UK) it seems that programmes finish early, then have commercials, and the next program starts "on time" (which can be up to a minute early). This means that if there are programmes to be recorded back-to-back the first one runs for the whole time, including the first bit of the second programme, then the TiVo changes channel (which the cable box causes a glitch so it takes several seconds to settle down) and then starts recording the second programme, minus the bit which has started.

What I want is a way to automatically shorten the previous programme, a sort of reverse end padding. Can this be done? I've looked at endpad.tcl, and I have a suspicion that if it can be done it will involve altering the 'Duration' of the current programme in the database, but (a) I haven't used TCL for many years (I'm a C/C++ programmer) and (b) I don't know what the database commands really do (is there a list somewhere?).

Any suggestions?
Old 03-13-2005, 08:03 AM   #981
a_tivo_noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0151
Sounds like your /var directory has been recreated, thus you have lost all or most of your hacks. This can happen from time to time. Do a search for more info. You'll need to reinstall the hacks to get them working again. This will also happen if you request the 2.5.5.a version of the software to overcome the teletext problem.

HTH

Mike
here we go then... never tried this before - wish me luck!
Old 03-13-2005, 08:06 AM   #982
a_tivo_noob

stumbling block no.1 - i cant' mount to partition 7... I can mount to 4 and 9 tho... on 7, it says "you must specify the file system type"

is this because i am using an upgraded 120GB harddrive?
Old 03-13-2005, 08:13 AM   #983
a_tivo_noob

ignore, read back and found this:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post2411016
Old 03-13-2005, 09:13 AM   #984
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keris
First, endpad is really useful, thanks for it!

I'd like an extra feature, though, I don't know whether it is possible.

On most of the cable channels (NTL UK) it seems that programmes finish early, then have commercials, and the next program starts "on time" (which can be up to a minute early). This means that if there are programmes to be recorded back-to-back the first one runs for the whole time, including the first bit of the second programme, then the TiVo changes channel (which the cable box causes a glitch so it takes several seconds to settle down) and then starts recording the second programme, minus the bit which has started.

What I want is a way to automatically shorten the previous programme, a sort of reverse end padding. Can this be done? I've looked at endpad.tcl, and I have a suspicion that if it can be done it will involve altering the 'Duration' of the current programme in the database, but (a) I haven't used TCL for many years (I'm a C/C++ programmer) and (b) I don't know what the database commands really do (is there a list somewhere?).

Any suggestions?
Sadly it's not quite that simple, as ever. This is an often requested feature, but would require quite a bit of work. The main problem is if you set a second recording to start early, then it tends to obilterate (not just cancel) the first recording, even if it has stopped early though negative end padding.

It's possible you could get something to work through also altering the Duration - I don't know.

I didn't persue it because for every time you get the last minute of a show on the start of the next recording at present, I think you'd create a new instance of the same thing with an EndPad working this way (from when the programmes actually ended on time.)
Old 03-27-2005, 05:47 PM   #985
bobones

endpad crashes when no recordings

Endpad crashes if there are no recordings in the database (e.g. after using DeleteAll .tcl and clearing the todo list). It all kicks off when $rectype is used (if $rectype == 3) when it hasn't been set in the main loop.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:07 AM   #986
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Yes, it does. Known bug. Fixes itself when you add two shows to the TDL.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:24 AM   #987
somegeeza

Trouble downloading

I'm having trouble downloading Endpad from the link on the first page of this thread.

Having same problem downloading Autospace 2.5.5 too from this forum.

Is anyone else getting this problem?
Old 04-03-2005, 04:31 AM   #988
Fozzie

Right click, 'Save Target As' works fine here.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:06 AM   #989
MikeMcr

I have the same problem. Ever since they upgraded the forum software, left-clicking on attachments no longer works for me. However, you can right-click and select "Save Target As" instead.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:59 AM   #990
iankb

I reported the download problem as a bug, but I didn't get much sympathy.

Windows 7 MCE, 2 x Freeview Tuners, 1 x HD Freesat Tuner, 1TB Hard Drive, 1.5TB Mirrored Raid on e-SATA.
1 x Xbox360 MCE Extender.
1 x LinkSys DMA2100 Extender.
1 x Broken TiVo.
Closed Thread