TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2005, 02:38 PM   #61
Robert S

There shouldn't be any problem running MTB from a floppy, but you'll have to read it off a separate disk similar to the antics at the top of this page.

Antalo, when you see 'almost there', then the TiVo has booted. Unfortunately, the TiVo application has failed to start. Your boot sector is fine, but you are probably going to have to reimage your drive(s) from a backup.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:02 AM   #62
antalo

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert S
Antalo, when you see 'almost there', then the TiVo has booted. Unfortunately, the TiVo application has failed to start. Your boot sector is fine, but you are probably going to have to reimage your drive(s) from a backup. [/b]
I guess I screwed it up, because now it doesn't go behind the first screen, which is "rebooting" or something like this. No problem to reimage, but is there a way I can save the recordings ?? Is there a reason for me to back up the drives ?? I guess not, because there is no reason to save it, except the recordings. ?
Is there a way to get the boot record file from somebody ? I got a program which makes it easy to copy a file in any folder.
It is so neet and easy to use, I don't know why the Tivo community doesn't use it. I have a satellite receiver "Dreambox 7000" which uses Linux and there are programs to copy files into it.
My Tivo had a problem for a long time. After every "daily call" it had to reboot. If I didn't do it manually, at 2 AM it would reboot regardless if it was playing or recording. All of a sudden it would no longer boot up.
Thanks for your help.
Antalo
antalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:51 AM   #63
Robert S

I'd be very surprised if you can save your recordings. Like I said, before you broke it, the system was fine. That means the problem was in the MFS system, which is very hard to fix.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:26 AM   #64
antalo

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert S
I'd be very surprised if you can save your recordings. Like I said, before you broke it, the system was fine. That means the problem was in the MFS system, which is very hard to fix.
Thank You for your reply. I don't get bryond the forst screen. I keep forgetting what it says. I would like to try to save the recordings. At this point I don't think I could hurt it more. Could you point me in the direction I would need to go ? I have been reading and reading and getting more cand more confused. You also posted the problem may have been the swap size. I tried that too, but not knowing what the result should be when I do one thing. You mention several ways to do it and it looks like I do them all. Not knowing whether I succeeded in extending the swap size or not.
Do I have add the "vmlnodma" every time I boot the "A" drive in the PC ?
Do I have to use "vmlnodma hdb=bswap hdc=bswap hdc=bswap hdd=bswap" ? I connect the "A" drive in the secondary slave (hdd) position. If I have to specify the drive, than it should be only "hdd=bswap" no ?
Antalo
antalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 03:12 PM   #65
Robert S

I thought you said you were getting 'almost there' before you ran MTB? If so, you probably want to keep trying MTB until you get back to that point.

The only possibility I'm aware of is to get the GSOD to run. If you can get to 'almost there', you might be able to trigger a GSOD with diagnostic mode.

For the GSOD to complete with 500Gb of disk space you would require 250Mb of swap. If you didn't allocate this when you created the A drive, then you're stuck because there isn't 250Mb free on the drive to be reallocated to swap.

Series 2 TiVoes are not byteswapped so the normal boot options for the MFS Tools 2.0 CD are fine.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:43 AM   #66
yano arias

need help sony sr2000

hey guys hope yall can help me ,I tried upgrading my old tivo with an 80 gig hard drive i had extra. I copied over the tivo drive to it when i instaled it in the tivo the screen popped up with the channel i was viewing in the background. I tried going to my recording and the thing got stuck, so i put the original drive back in and it kept saying almost ready then turned off then on agin saying the same thing, it kept doing this over and over none stop. is there a way to fix the original drive to then copy it to the 80 gig thanks
yano arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:41 PM   #67
dwood

Ok my pride taken into consideration ill say that i too have fallen into the xp boot syndrome. I have an rca dvr 40 and was in the process of upgrading to a 160gb hard drive - never quite finished though....
I must say thank you all for providing quite knowledgeable reading and the 2 day linux crash course. I have the kazimir boot disk and have executed the commands until
/mnt/dos# ./MakeTivoBootable -d /dev/hda --pk 3 --ak 6 --bp root=/dev/hda4

the response i get

./MakeTivoBootable: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.1.3`not found (required by ./MakeTivoBootable

someone help me get over this hump please.
dwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:31 PM   #68
S-Merrell

MakeMyTIVObootable

So, Did you get an answer yet?
I ran into the same problem.
I have a RCA dvr40 Direc TV TIVO/tuner
Was Trying to clone the 40 to a 160gig, and started copying over the 40.
OOPS wrong direction.

S-Merrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #69
mskusa

Hi. Can anyone please help me? I can't believe my absolutely stupid mistake, but I accidentally let windows XP load up while my Tivo Hard Drive was still attached to my pc. I've been trying to find a copy the "MakeTivoBootable" to download, and have had no luck. The zip file provided by "Cletus" is not working and the other two links provided in this thread don't exist anymore. Can someone please help me? I am desperate to get this Tivo hard drive restored....
mskusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #70
HomeUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskusa View Post
Hi. Can anyone please help me? I can't believe my absolutely stupid mistake, but I accidentally let windows XP load up while my Tivo Hard Drive was still attached to my pc. I've been trying to find a copy the "MakeTivoBootable" to download, and have had no luck. The zip file provided by "Cletus" is not working and the other two links provided in this thread don't exist anymore. Can someone please help me? I am desperate to get this Tivo hard drive restored....
WinMFS http://mfslive.org/winmfs/index.html should be able to fix it.
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #71
mskusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser View Post
Hi. Thank you for your suggestion, but could you please tell me if I am supposed to use the mfstools iso image I've burned onto a cd to restore the boot sector? I was trying to learn to backup the TiVo image when I made this stupid mistake.. I'm very new to this, so I'd be deeply grateful for any detailed steps you can give me.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #72
mskusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser View Post
Hello again. Sorry for sounding so stupid & for being so ignorant! I managed to download winmfs_beta9_3F (winmfs.exe) onto my desktop. Do I run this program on my windows xp with the TiVo hard drive with the corrupted boot sector connected to my pc, in order to restore the boot sector using the "Fix Bootpage"? Thank you SO much for your help!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #73
dwit

Quote:
Hello again. Sorry for sounding so stupid & for being so ignorant! I managed to download winmfs_beta9_3F (winmfs.exe) onto my desktop. Do I run this program on my windows xp with the TiVo hard drive with the corrupted boot sector connected to my pc, in order to restore the boot sector using the "Fix Bootpage"? Thank you SO much for your help!

No offense, but did you reinstall the "corrupted" drive back into the Tivo to check that it will indeed not boot?

Anyhow, yes, the Tivo drive should be attached. After the pc boots to Windows, just open the Winmfs program. Don't go to disk management or try to find the Tivo drive with windows or anything.

Good luck.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:27 AM   #74
mskusa

Thanks a million HomeUser & Dwit! I ran the TiVo hard drive in winmfs and it fixed the boot sector, but I also noticed, thanks to HomeUser pointing it out that another possible reason the TiVo hard drive was not booting up is because I forgot to reset the jumper setting back to Master (or cable select) when I tried to boot up the TiVo box! So, I am not sure if the boot sector had been corrupted in the first place because I never went into disk management when I accidentally let Windows XP start loading, but I thought it had corrupted the boot sector after seeing a message in the Windows XP taskbar that Windows XP had detected the TiVo hard drive, which I thought may have allowed Windows XP to put a signature on the boot drive.:P And then when the TiVo hard drive didn't boot up (most likely because of the incorrect jumper settings I'd left it on) I assumed that it wouldn't boot because of boot sector corruption. So, thank you both so very much!! I'm SO relieved that the TiVo booted back up. Sorry to have troubled you, especially HomeUser.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #75
lessd

Quote:
Thanks a million HomeUser & Dwit! I ran the TiVo hard drive in winmfs and it fixed the boot sector, but I also noticed, thanks to HomeUser pointing it out that another possible reason the TiVo hard drive was not booting up is because I forgot to reset the jumper setting back to Master (or cable select) when I tried to boot up the TiVo box! So, I am not sure if the boot sector had been corrupted in the first place because I never went into disk management when I accidentally let Windows XP start loading, but I thought it had corrupted the boot sector after seeing a message in the Windows XP taskbar that Windows XP had detected the TiVo hard drive, which I thought may have allowed Windows XP to put a signature on the boot drive.:P And then when the TiVo hard drive didn't boot up (most likely because of the incorrect jumper settings I'd left it on) I assumed that it wouldn't boot because of boot sector corruption. So, thank you both so very much!! I'm SO relieved that the TiVo booted back up. Sorry to have troubled you, especially HomeUser.
Unless you go into Windows disk management you will not destroy any TiVo drive, even if windows boots up. The master /slave jumper is the biggest problem if your computer can't use CS, the TiVo will work on CS or Master jumper settings.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:41 AM   #76
mskusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Unless you go into Windows disk management you will not destroy any TiVo drive, even if windows boots up. The master /slave jumper is the biggest problem if your computer can't use CS, the TiVo will work on CS or Master jumper settings.
Thanks, Les! That's good to know. What a relief and a good lesson to learn! It's easy to forget these little steps when one is a newbie like me.;D I am SO grateful to HomeUser and all of you for your tremendous generosity with your time & knowledge! Thank you for helping a novice like me! You are all my heroes next to our men & women in the Armed Forces! God bless!