TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-17-2004, 01:53 PM   #31
Fanatix

uh oh, when i put the bootdisk in, it says LILO Loading Tivo_bootdisk
then it says Error 0x04. how can i fix this. Right now i'm stuck with a Tivo that will not boot and i'm missing a lot of good TV lol. But seriously, i would appreciate any help.
Fanatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 06:13 PM   #32
rbachelor

I'm more of a user than a coder these days but when I do a google search on "error 0x04 lilo linux" it seems that it's a drive status error. One possible explanation may be that you have a bad floppy disk (not unusual) or something like that. I'd try using a fresh floppy and if that doesn't work, try starting a new thread with the question -- this one is really old and may not be seen by many people.
rbachelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:28 PM   #33
pug

I was able to use maketivobootable via the following process:

My hardware was...
series 2
Philips 35hr DSR7000 DirecTiVo Single 40GB A drive

1. Downloaded a copy of MAKETIVOBOOTABLE to a FAT32 formatted hard drive (I placed directly on C:, not in a sub-folder)

2. Attach your drives in the following way...
My FAT32 hd with MAKETIVOBOOTABLE saved on it -- PRIMARY MASTER
My TiVo drive with corrupted boot sector -- SECONDARY MASTER
My CD-ROM drive -- SECONDARY SLAVE

3. Set the BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM.

4. Place the Mfs Tools Boot CD (11.5MB) downloaded available on the Hinsdale how to website (you can run into trouble with the MAKETIVOBOOTABLE tool if you don't have a recent enough version of tivo boot cd-rom)

5. Start the computer with the bootable cd-rom disk.

6. Hit return and you will eventually get to a # prompt

7. Just to be sure that you attached your drives properly, you can use SHIFT + PAGE-UP to check that the unix os detected three drives: HDA, HDC, HDD. The drive sizes should be displayed as well, this should help you determine if the right drives are attached in the right place.

8. Type the following command to mount your FAT32 drive, so that you can run MAKETIVOBOOTABLE:
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt

9. Type the following command to change to the directory on which maketivobootable is mounted:
cd /mnt

10. Type one of the following commands to reset the boot sector of your TiVo drive (mine was the first command).

MakeTiVoBootable -d /dev/hdX --pk 3 --ak 6 --bp root=/dev/hda4

if that doesn't work, try this:

MakeTiVoBootable -d /dev/hdX --pk 6 --ak 3 --bp root=/dev/hda7

11. That's it. Hit CNTL + ALT + DELETE and turn off your computer's power after unix backs out.

12. Unhook your TiVo drive from your PC. Reinstall it in your TiVo and it should now boot.

GOOD LUCK!!!
pug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:04 PM   #34
dzzy

i have the same problem. i did not back up the tivo drive
i brough a new drive 40 gb. format with dos and fat 32
insert flopy maketivoboot. loading..........
at the the screen show ( none) login
instruction said enter root and i did come out
# ( key)
can any help? what am i doing wrong?
thanks in advance
dzzy
dzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 05:13 PM   #35
Robert S

MTB just rebuilds the boot block. If the whole drive has failed, you need an MFS Tools backup.

What sort of TiVo is it?

It sounds like you've successfully got to step 6 on pug's list above. It's not apparent that you have a problem.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:09 PM   #36
dzzy

sony t60 and hard drive quantum 40 gb.
dzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 12:30 PM   #37
pug

Did you reformat your TiVo 40 gb drive? If so, Robert is right, you will have to get a good MRS tools backup.

If you didn't reformat the tivo drive, you should be able to follow the instructions above to restore the boot sector. Note that I didn't use a bootable floppy, but instead used the bootable cd-rom.

Maketivobootable was placed on a FAT32 drive set up as the primary master.

Good luck!
pug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 07:13 PM   #38
firehawk302

Quote:
Originally posted by pug

My hardware was...
series 2

1. Downloaded a copy of MAKETIVOBOOTABLE to a FAT32 formatted hard drive (I placed directly on C:, not in a sub-folder)

4. Place the Mfs Tools Boot CD (11.5MB) downloaded available on the Hinsdale how to website (you can run into trouble with the MAKETIVOBOOTABLE tool if you don't have a recent enough version of tivo boot cd-rom)

7. Just to be sure that you attached your drives properly, you can use SHIFT + PAGE-UP to check that the unix os detected three drives: HDA, HDC, HDD. The drive sizes should be displayed as well, this should help you determine if the right drives are attached in the right place.

8. Type the following command to mount your FAT32 drive, so that you can run MAKETIVOBOOTABLE:
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt

9. Type the following command to change to the directory on which maketivobootable is mounted:
cd /mnt

10. Type one of the following commands to reset the boot sector of your TiVo drive (mine was the first command).

11. That's it. Hit CNTL + ALT + DELETE and turn off your computer's power after unix backs out.

12. Unhook your TiVo drive from your PC. Reinstall it in your TiVo and it should now boot.

GOOD LUCK!!!
For those of you using a Series 1 and the MFS Tools 2.0 CD, be sure to enter the following at the # prompt.
vmlnodma hdb=bswap hdc=bswap hdd=bswap

It took me 5 hours to get my drive working again and I was just about to give up when finally this last switch (and lots of research) took care of it...
firehawk302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:03 PM   #39
wlspoon

I tried to expand and failed (I think because my HD is not FAT32 - tho I don't know how to check this). After this attempt, I rebooted my computer with my TiVo drive attached. I am trying to restore my Tivo using MakeTivoBootable. I have placed the folder directly on my C: drive but when I try to run the program off of the boot disk it says the file is not found. Is this because my HD is not FAT partitioned? Can anyone help??
wlspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:09 PM   #40
Robert S

You should find NTFS partitions mount normally. You just can't write to them (which is probably a good thing here).

Obviously you need to unpack MTB from its archive and place it in the root directory on the C: drive. After you do mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos, MTB should be /mnt/dos/maketivobootable.

It's possible that hda1 is not your C: drive. If you do ls /mnt/dos (that's LS), you should see the files and directories from your C: drive. If you see a different set of files, try mounting hda2 or hda5 instead of hda1.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:42 AM   #41
DiRN

When I try Step 10 I get the following error:

sh: ./MakeTiVoBootable: Permission denied

My C: drive is hda (NTFS C:\MakeTiVoBootable)
My TiVo A Drive is hdc
My CDROM is hdd

Any thoughts?

DiRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:10 AM   #42
Robert S

cp /mnt/dos/maketivobootable /mtb
chmod +x /mtb
/mtb <options>
Old 04-25-2004, 09:23 AM   #43
DiRN

Thanks, that worked like a champ. Now let's see if my TiVo boots. *fingers crossed*
Old 04-25-2004, 09:28 AM   #44
DiRN

Thanks to pug for the walk-through and to Robert S for the copy tip. Both of you were extremely helpful. Thanks again.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:29 AM   #45
NeWcS
TWiZtiD Fr3@k

Quote:
Originally posted by pug

My hardware was...
series 2

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt

cd /mnt

GOOD LUCK!!!
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

I needed to use MTB but could'nt find anywhere that explained how to use it.

-Jay
Old 08-25-2004, 05:49 PM   #46
B33K34
ENABLED!

Can't get anywhere with maketivobootable

Series 1 UK Tivo running 2.5.5a
Two drives (120/40)

I had a jumper set incorrectly on my cdrom and booted into windows xp with my tivo drives attached. Now, of course, Tivo wont boot.

I've downloaded maketivobootable but have no documentation for it and cant get it to work. mtb is on the root of C. I'm using mfstools 2.0.

I've connected my Tivo 'A' drive as Secondary Master. My reading of the instructions around the place is that i dont need to do anything to drive 'b'.

I've tried running the command:

maketivobootable -d /dev/hdX --pk3 --ak6 --bp root/dev/hda4

However, i get no indication that this has worked - it just responds with the warning that mtb can damage your drives and lists the valid options.

I then replaced X with c (/dev/hdc) figuring the X was intended to be replaced with the correct drive but get the same message.

I saw a comment elsewhere about enabling byteswapping using the command:
but get the response 'vmlnodma: command not found'

I've tried running mfstools with the options with byteswapping enabled but get an error (lots of 'out of range messages then hangs').

Can someone give me some clear instructions on the process - i'm a Unix newbie so please dont assume any knowledge.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:07 PM   #47
Robert S

You will need byteswapping. Try using Dylan or TiVoMad's boot floppy or Kazmyr's CD.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:03 AM   #48
B33K34
ENABLED!

Creating CDs is easier than floppys but i can't find downloads for any of those on the 9thtee site. Searching here for Kazmyr doesnt get me anything useful either (there are a lot of dead links in old threads). Can you point me in the right direction?
Old 08-26-2004, 07:45 AM   #49
Robert S

Sorry, I misspelled Kazymyr.

http://www.9thtee.com/tbdv2_6i.iso
Old 08-26-2004, 01:18 PM   #50
B33K34
ENABLED!

Ok. Update. Kazymyr boot cd lacks the libraries needed by mtb. However, using mfstools 2.0 and with the vmlnodma byteswap commandlisted further up the thread command at the boot prompt rather than # doesnt throw up any errors.

I've had a good look at the info that comes up on boot and have identified hdc3 as being "root1" and hdc6 as being "root2" so i presume that's my primary and back up boot partitions and the first command applies. Since there are no boot partitions on the second disc i'm assuming i only need to do this to Tivo Disc A.

I've now tried running the command
maketivobootable -d /dev/hdc --pk3 --ak6 --bp root=/dev/hda4 --bswap

and prior to that i'd tried it without the --bswap value. maketivobootable doens't give any indication that it has done anything however - it just gives it's warning and parameters in the same as if you type maketivobootable without any parameters at all.

What is the '4' on the end of hda meant to do? my FAT32 drive is only showing up as hda1, 2 (5) in the partitiion check as linux booots.

Frustrated now. I really want to get this working again.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:44 PM   #51
Robert S

Perhaps '--pk3' and '--pk 3' are different?

'hda' refers to primary master in the TiVo, not the PC.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:24 PM   #52
B33K34
ENABLED!

Robert, a good point and well made. mtb is actually doing something now (Warning appears that you are about to modify a drive and requires a response of y) but neither of the two mtb commands suggested, or the same commands with --bswap added to the end, have got my Tivo to boot. It did get to 'almost there' once but then rebooted and didnt get past "powering up"

Thanks for your help but i starting to think i'm out of things to try.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:09 PM   #53
Robert S

Did you try both variations? Most UK TiVoes will have their root partition on hda4, but if you took 1.5.2 or 2.5.5a (but not both), your root partition will be hda7.

I've never actually run MTB, but I don't think --bswap is a good idea - byteswapping needs to be provided by the OS, not MTB (I believe that feature is broken).
Old 11-15-2004, 11:09 PM   #54
osteon.618

I booted into WinXP when tring to back-up my dual drive Tivo. I have followed pugs instructions (exactly I think) twice. I also get to the warning and input "Y" return. It just goes back to the #prompt. It doesn't really give any feedback - no error nor congrats. I assume that worked. I push CNTRL+ ALT+ DEL and power down during the reboot.

However, my TIVO still will not boot. I am stuck at the "Your recorder is starting up...."

I am wondering if I should run MakeTivoBootable for my Tivo B drive also?

Any help is appreciated.

Scott
osteon.618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 07:02 AM   #55
Robert S

No, the boot block on the B drive is not used for anything.

Did you get the right byte-order? Byteswapped for a Series 1, but not for a Series 2.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:30 AM   #56
osteon.618

No, I did not. Another important detail that I have overlooked!

I assume you are referring to the command

If this is the case, do I enter it before step 8 of Pug's instructions? Also, if I set my drives up exactly as Pug did, I would only have an a, c, d. Then the command would be?
vmlnodma hda=bswap hdc=bswap hdd=bswap

I am trying hard but don't really know what I am doing in Linux.

Thanks for all your help.
osteon.618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 09:27 AM   #57
Robert S

You enter that command at the boot: prompt so Linux activates the byteswapping module. You only need to swap the TiVo A drive, you don't need to swap all three.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:21 PM   #58
marcoval

I had a similar problem and couldn't fix it.
marcoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:52 AM   #59
cybergal24

why boot from cd rom? can I just do this with a floppy?
cybergal24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 01:27 AM   #60
antalo

I may have the same problem. I have an upgraded SA S2 240040 model and 2x 250 Gig drives. The B drive developed a bad sector or two. and would not boot up anymore. The green screen with do not unplug for 3 hrs, etc came up but it could not repaire itself. I pulled the drives and found B drive nad some problems, it got cleared uup and ran the long diagnostics on both and checked out good. Installed them in the Tivo and would not boot. Has the gray screen with one minute or something like it.
Can I just reload the boot section ? I have both drives almost full and don't want to loose the contents.
I appreciate any and all help. I know nothing about Linux programming. I have upgraded 5 Tivos, all in the family.
I read postings all day and the more I read, the more confused I get. I would need detailed instructions, not just add this or that to here or there. I also would appreciate email antalo@earthlink.net

Antalo
antalo is offline   Reply With Quote